Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I used to use Flickr to share pics with my family but my technically inept parents just couldn't figure it out, so nowadays I just screenshare them over Skype. No accidentally clicking on ads and getting lost, no squinting at thumbnails because they can't figure out how to open the links, no skipping entire series of pictures because they can't find the 'next' button, and no seriously asking "Who is this Flick R?"

I highly recommend it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I use Flickr to backup and share occasionally, but I only shoot JPEG and don’t care about the social media aspect. It’s a really big photo bucket to me :v:

Backups also on hard drives, yes, but this also allows me to share if need be.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

On a similar note, does anyone know a photo sharing service that doesn't allow users to download images? We're going to try and keep photos of our kid off social media, so we thought we'd put them in a private album somewhere with a link we share with family, but the services I've looked at all allow anyone with the link to download whatever they can see directly, which will make it more likely that they'll end up on Facebook anyway. Obviously there's no stopping people from taking and posting screenshots, but my family is not that tech savvy.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I only just started with this hobby and I saw a bunch of people here using Flickr so I started a free account - something I really appreciate about it is that it pretty seamlessly integrates sharing an image to different apps like Instagram, Google photos, discord, etc. I don't have to do any futzy copy/pasting of the image, a URL, redownloading it, etc.

I still think it'd be nice to have a personal site for highest quality showing of pictures, assuming I ever make enough good shots to show off, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

On a similar note, does anyone know a photo sharing service that doesn't allow users to download images? We're going to try and keep photos of our kid off social media, so we thought we'd put them in a private album somewhere with a link we share with family, but the services I've looked at all allow anyone with the link to download whatever they can see directly, which will make it more likely that they'll end up on Facebook anyway. Obviously there's no stopping people from taking and posting screenshots, but my family is not that tech savvy.

Adobe's LR collection share thing sort of does that. There's no big "download" button, but people can right click and copy the link / open the image in a new tab. On mobile no amount of long pressing will allow an image download.

The only way to get more protection is javascript fuckery on a self hosted site. In that case you can do that context menu breaking stuff that pisses everyone off.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

xzzy posted:

The only way to get more protection is javascript fuckery on a self hosted site. In that case you can do that context menu breaking stuff that pisses everyone off.

& which won't impede bulk downloaders and datascrapers anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which I guess can be a problem if grandma is super determined to upload baby pictures to facebook.

:v:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Smugmug allows you to prevent downloads or enable/disable sales, although best to check if that’s true for all the tiers.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

adnam posted:

Question regarding some compression artifacts I'm seeing when family posts shared photos to Instagram. I shoot raw, process in LR and then export with long edge at 1800, dpi 300 for printing 4x6 for family and friends. I upload to Google Photo and I've noticed when they download and then share those photos on Instagram, it looks pretty fuzzy/artifact-y.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to export at a larger size, run my photos through a sharpen mask or are there settings on Google Photos that I need to look at to avoid additional compression?

I think my question got lost in the page transition, but can anybody share if this is an issue with my export settings as above or if there's a box in Google Photos that I need to uncheck to keep my photos from getting more fuzzy?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Google photos' backup settings does have a quality setting so make sure that is set to Original.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Google photos is only unlimited if you let them compress your images. If you set them to original they’ll make you pay for storage.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Storage is so cheap, why surrender control of your stuff. I understand not wanting to deal with hosting for presentation purposes, but at least keep master copies of the stuff you care about.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Google photos is only unlimited if you let them compress your images. If you set them to original they’ll make you pay for storage.

Doesn’t Amazon photos support RAW?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Doesn’t Amazon photos support RAW?

yes

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If it's just family stuff and you're not concerned about sharing high-quality raws or whatever, Flickr has that option.

https://twitter.com/nilikoko/status/1758094866196861295

I was on twitter the other day, saw these pictures and really liked them. Does anybody know what's going on with the post-processing here that makes them pop? Obviously the blue is turned all the way up in the white balance, but fiddling around with some night cityscapes I had already taken it seems like there's a little more to it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Aside from heavy cool white balance, color grading wheels in Lightroom will get you there.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Rochallor posted:

If it's just family stuff and you're not concerned about sharing high-quality raws or whatever, Flickr has that option.

Oh neat, thanks. An opportunity to subtly fish for compliments on my other mediocre photos among my extended family, interesting.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bottom Liner posted:

Aside from heavy cool white balance, color grading wheels in Lightroom will get you there.

That did the trick, thanks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
This is really a birdwatching question, but this might be a more active thread/forum: how on earth do I stop my fluid head screwing off the tripod? This video seems to answer the question, mine is a Meopta but seems to look and work about the same, except that... it doesn't work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0CjLbhvQQ

I hand tighten the head and the screw, everything seems to work fine, a week later I take my scope out and find that I'm unscrewing the head again. Does something need to be turned extra extra tight for it to not come off, or am I tightening them in the wrong order, or?

https://i.imgur.com/kQZqi9l.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/aVB2gVs.jpeg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the wear marks on your head my guess is the set screw isn't settling into a divot very well. Does it work better if you remove the rubber pad? Or find a longer screw somewhere?

If you want to cure it once and for all some drilling might be in your future.. get a bit slightly bigger than the set screw and drill a deeper recess into your head that the screw can lock into. Feasibility of this depends on how thick the metal base on your head is. Unfortunately finding the right spot to put the hole may be a challenge, if you can get a marker through the set screw hole it's sort of easy.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

xzzy posted:

Based on the wear marks on your head my guess is the set screw isn't settling into a divot very well. Does it work better if you remove the rubber pad? Or find a longer screw somewhere?

If you want to cure it once and for all some drilling might be in your future.. get a bit slightly bigger than the set screw and drill a deeper recess into your head that the screw can lock into. Feasibility of this depends on how thick the metal base on your head is. Unfortunately finding the right spot to put the hole may be a challenge, if you can get a marker through the set screw hole it's sort of easy.

This made me think of a possibility so silly that I hadn't considered it: that the set screw is wrong. The tripod and head are brand new, and I remember having some confusion about which screw goes where when assembling it. It's the right thread so I thought it couldn't be wrong, but I guess it could.

I have another tripod where the head seems to fit fine (knocking on wood), so I guess I'll just take that one to the shop and ask about the screws

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It could just be luck of the draw with the positioning of the first thread on the mount screw too. The only variable for where the set screw ends up is head's mount threads catch on the bolt and that will dictate if the set screw hits a peak or a valley.

Adding or removing shims might work? It's the most experiment-able option for adjusting where things sit when tightened up.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Blue locktite

Pryce
May 21, 2011
So I've got a trip to Japan coming up in April, and I've decided this is a great opportunity to get into photography, a secret desire I've always had. Immediately on starting research I learned about the X100VI and fell in love with its design and ease of traveling with it, but obviously this is not a camera you can just go buy on a whim given how tough it'll likely to be to find at launch.

I love consuming written and video guides to new skills/hardware/software, so I've been devouring everything I can find in the last couple days, but my questions for the wider group of experts here are:

1) Is it dumb to buy into the X100 line as a brand-new photographer? (Ignore cost/pricing in this context, let's assume budget is a non-issue.)
1a) If it's not that dumb of an idea, is it safe to assume finding a used V or F is likely easier/smarter at this stage?
2) Is there a better recommendation for traveling across the world and 'learning' to take photos in a foreign country that doesn't necessarily involve needing to carry a giant bag of gear everywhere?

Pryce fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 28, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you're on the right track, if you ask me. you'll be in an environment where you'll always be looking at everything with fresh eyes; not a bad thing for when you're trying to START photographing (i'd argue that familiarity is better for someone who has a lot of experience but that's not this topic)

this isn't what you want to hear, but really: the camera isn't gonna matter much. You want something that handles well and doesn't get in the way, but 16 vs. 20 MP or whatever doesn't matter. I'd also argue that one focal length is good. it will make you work more on composition.

i've not used one of the fuji X cameras, tons of others here have though. they seem to handle well.

PLEASE, try shooting manually. Adjust your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO as needed. it will make you think more carefully about the photo, something your phone encourages you NOT to do.

Take your time, have fun. living in japan is where i started to photograph with a lot of intent. it was great, and i still cherish a lot of the photos i made.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm gonna jump on the pile and say the camera doesnt matter. You can shoot absolute bangers with a cheap point&shoot, and shoot complete trash with a very expensive pro camera.

Get something that wont annoy you as you walk around Japan, and will just take pictures with minimal drama. I'd also throw the Canon G7X in the hunt as a tiny-ish camera that will just work and not get in your way.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

shoot complete trash with a very expensive pro camera.

stop doxxing me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buddy, we're in the same boat

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna go the opposite direction and say that forcing yourself to use one lens is great for a photographer who has the basics and is looking to hone their craft. But when you're in Japan for the first time, trying to take a photo of the cool mountain in the distance, and all you have is a wide angle lens, you're going to either take a disappointing picture or end up pulling out your phone.

My take is a decent micro four thirds body and something like the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO that will cover a 24-200 full frame equivalent

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

big black turnout posted:

I'm gonna go the opposite direction and say that forcing yourself to use one lens is great for a photographer who has the basics and is looking to hone their craft. But when you're in Japan for the first time, trying to take a photo of the cool mountain in the distance, and all you have is a wide angle lens, you're going to either take a disappointing picture or end up pulling out your phone.

My take is a decent micro four thirds body and something like the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO that will cover a 24-200 full frame equivalent

My opinion doesn't count for much but I agree about avoiding the fixed lens. I took a ricoh gr3 (28mm fixed) to Rome and I ended up not even bothering to take some shots because I knew I'd never get in there tight enough.

If you are looking for something really small then the sony rx100 series is nice. Two negatives are the small sensor and the goofy sony software but it is still a lot of fun and can produce good photos.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

big black turnout posted:

I agree with this, but for the camera recommendation (I just don't know that combo).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Pryce posted:

So I've got a trip to Japan coming up in April, and I've decided this is a great opportunity to get into photography, a secret desire I've always had. Immediately on starting research I learned about the X100VI and fell in love with its design and ease of traveling with it, but obviously this is not a camera you can just go buy on a whim given how tough it'll likely to be to find at launch.

I love consuming written and video guides to new skills/hardware/software, so I've been devouring everything I can find in the last couple days, but my questions for the wider group of experts here are:

1) Is it dumb to buy into the X100 line as a brand-new photographer? (Ignore cost/pricing in this context, let's assume budget is a non-issue.)
1a) If it's not that dumb of an idea, is it safe to assume finding a used V or F is likely easier/smarter at this stage?
2) Is there a better recommendation for traveling across the world and 'learning' to take photos in a foreign country that doesn't necessarily involve needing to carry a giant bag of gear everywhere?

As someone who got into photography with an expensive camera (X100V), buy into the X100 line and shoot manual. You will not regret it. There is a learning curve, but it passes quickly.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pryce posted:

Being judicious about your camera and lens choices is how you can have an interchangeable lens camera setup without having the backpack of camera gear that inevitably gets left behind at your hotel because it's too much of a pain in the rear end to walk around with. It means you're probably taking only two zoom lenses that are lighter and more versatile than the standard professional zooms. Modern superzooms, like the aforementioned Olympus 12-100, or the Tamron 28-200 for Sony cameras, have also gotten shockingly good if you just want one lens. (Treating your zoom lens as if it were a series of primes, e.g. only using 24mm, 35mm, and 70mm on a 24-70 zoom, helps in beating the laziness trap that you can fall into when using a zoom.) Moving to a crop sensor system like Fuji X, or Micro Four Thirds for not just the lighter bodies, but also the lighter lenses is also an option to lighten your load when traveling.

Go to your local camera store and hold some cameras to see what you like and don't like. You can then rent from a place like LensRentals to give yourself an extended test drive with a camera before committing.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Thank you all! Super helpful advice and opinions. I was already planning to drop by a local shop this week and I think that'll be a solid next step to look at options and figure out what feels good. I believe they also do regular classes so I bet that'll also be a helpful way to engage before the trip. Will let you know what I decide on!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I wish Canon would make a modern 28-300.

They have the 24-240 but I haven’t heard or seen much about it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The X100 is a great camera, but I wouldn't spend the $ on a brand new VI considering how drat good the earlier ones are. The X100F seems to be in a bit of a sweet spot price wise right now so that'd be my weapon of choice.

That said, the X100 _will_ limit the types of photos you can get. You can--and will--make great images with it, but you will also find yourself in situations where you might not be able to get a specific image you want due to the fixed focal length. "Zooming with your legs" will only get you so far. One could argue that it might push you towards more creativity but if you're going to spend $1-2k on a camera it's good to fully understand what you're getting into. An M43 setup with a good zoom would give you a boatload more flexibility.

As for shooting manual as someone mentioned above. Well, yeah, it forces you to learn. It will also make you gently caress up a number of potentially great shots while you are learning. Unless you are blessed with a lot of time and the ability to revisit locations I probably would _not_ make this The Time to Learn All Manual Photography. Maybe dip your toe into it with aperture priority and auto ISO or something. But it'd be a shame to miss out on some great shots because you were too busy fiddling with getting the settings right or did something wrong and got a hosed up result. But that's just, like, my opinion.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve taken my X100T out a few times now since buying it, and it really is fun to have a complete system that fits in my pocket. Can’t take “real” cameras to pro sports anymore, but something small that looks like a point and shoot? Not an issue. Cellphone sized but god I hate taking pictures with my iPhone, it’s a different world having the hardware controls that I’m used to with my regular DSLR.

I like how the focus on SOC JPEG shooting forces me to get it right when I hit the shutter, rather than shooting raw and fixing everything in Lightroom.

The battery is poo poo and it’s a shame the recipe stuff isn’t as fully fledged as it is in later models, trying to find model specific stuff for mine compared to the V is a little tricky, but I can’t wait to travel with it. Plus 2 extra batteries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was in a related boat last year, not new to photography but new to having the money for a good camera. Was talked into the X-T4 and have been very happy with it. I think spending a bunch of money on a camera with only one focal length is a bad move, if you don't like it you're stuck. I do think there's benefit to walking around all day with a single prime and being forced to stick to it. Being able to do that with multiple lengths on different days is good though, you'll find what you like.

With Japan specifically, you're in an excellent position because used camera gear there is a) extremely well taken care of most of the time b) cheap inherently and c) the yen is 150 to the dollar right now, plus camera stores often do tax-free so that's another 10% discount on top, so you're in a sweet confluence of events to get a great kit at rock bottom prices.

What I did was get a used body in the US and a single lens so I could learn how the camera worked before going, then I went to Japan and bought everything else there for cheap. It worked out very well for me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

don't go to japan thinking you'll get camera deals. the yen prices have inflated accordingly. some things might be a little cheaper, and tons of little accessories will probably be cheap, but lenses/bodies/etc., the big lifts, will be priced similarly. you can skip paying some of the taxes with your passport, i guess.

the one thing is that used items are nearly always immaculate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I think spending a bunch of money on a camera with only one focal length is a bad move, if you don't like it you're stuck. I do think there's benefit to walking around all day with a single prime and being forced to stick to it. Being able to do that with multiple lengths on different days is good though, you'll find what you like.

I agree with all of this. I assumed I'd shoot pretty wide when I was first starting so I learned using a 23mm on my X-T2. Being stuck with that for a while taught me that I absolutely do not like shooting wide angle most of the time, and I was able to add lenses that I like using much more. If I hadn't been able to add lenses I might have given up on the hobby: no matter what you're shelling out a good amount of money and it might be discouraging if you hate the focal length of the camera