Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I am just absolutely bewildered that this one line changing is now a sign the translators are bad and the game has a 'persona-5 rear end translation' and in general it feels like an absolutely insane response to me over an incredibly trivial line fix. It isn't even just "Oh, I liked the original line better" but actively an insult and a sign the game's translation is going to be bad.

No one said the translators were bad, certainly not me. All that quote meant (and I am, admittedly, interpreting someone else's post) is that the line is kind of stiff. That's it. No one said Rebirth's translation will be bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
There's too much I time between now and when the game comes out. Arguing helps pass the time

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
For me it's 20% "these bastards would have patched out 'miserable pile of secrets' if they had a chance", 80% "weird rear end time to patch it cause loving nobody's going to see it". I don't even remember the drat line we're talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

No one said the translators were bad, certainly not me. All that quote meant (and I am, admittedly, interpreting someone else's post) is that the line is kind of stiff. That's it. No one said Rebirth's translation will be bad!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I liked the "steel sky" line. even after four years, I had a strong recollection of it. I don't consider the meaning of her saying she preferred the plate overhead to be particularly ambiguous

I hope the transliteration in general in Rebirth is good, that kind of makes me worry

Oxxidation posted:

not to mention doing it in such a stiff and artless way. persona 5-rear end localization

Like, that is exactly what I meant. Persona 5 had a loving awful translation, infamously so to the point even the adjusted and fixed version still kind of sucks. It's not a light complaint.

welcome posted:

For me it's 20% "these bastards would have patched out 'miserable pile of secrets' if they had a chance", 80% "weird rear end time to patch it cause loving nobody's going to see it". I don't even remember the drat line we're talking about.

"Miserable Pile of Secrets" literally got patched over a decade ago, all recent versions of SotN use the new dialogue! They changed it to "Ha! Mankind. (glass) A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

welcome posted:

arguing about a line I don’t even remember or care about ftmfw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that's clearly a reference to that specific line and nothing else

please, relax

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anyway I can’t wait to see red xiii wearing a sailor suit this weekend

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

"Miserable Pile of Secrets" literally got patched over a decade ago, all recent versions of SotN use the new dialogue! They changed it to "Ha! Mankind. (glass) A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"

Nobody patched my PSX copy, if somebody patched yours my condolences.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The plot is much faster paced than Remake since it's covering significantly more ground than the original but it depends on what she didn't like. Like each individual area is more fleshed out than in the original, just not to the degree Midgar was.

She didn't grow up playing games much or using twin sticks so she's basically incapable of third person games if the camera goes 360 degrees (there's the controller assist, but I didn't know about it). Even so, chapter one went fine and most of chapter two, but on top of the frequent combat (random battles aren't perceived as being as bad), the errand running with Tifa really killed off the interest for good.

I think if Remake had half the combat and only did the main beats plus the actual critical new stuff, it would have been fine. My current plan because I'm an unemployed loser is to basically grind out all the side quests during the day and then at the very least do the main story in her presence, even if she's doing something else part of the time.

My big frustration with that recap video is that it sucks rear end and omits a lot of stuff for someone like her who knows the OG plot and would maybe be interested in what the remake is doing with the story, but doesn't want to deal with the padding. I guess you could skim through the 15 hour or however long it is cutscene movie, but really the key things I'd want to highlight are:

- At least being aware of Roche and the chapter 4 content
- Jesse being injured by the whispers
- All the visions
- The Shinra museum cutscene
- The last part of the game, starting at the Jenova fight

That would pretty much cover anything relevant I figure.

Also, they changed the ending line?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

In the new dub, this line overlaps with his laugh. Just awful.

Edit: this rant reminds me of the weeaboo from another forum I mentioned a few days ago. His two biggest arguments for the English localization being bad were the steel sky line and also translating Cloud's "I shall be your opponent" to "bring it on, bitch".

Spermando fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 26, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, the use of patches and revised editions of games that effectively erase the original release is not some totally neutral thing, there's reasons to be skeptical of that, but that's a conversation I don't think anyone here wants to have right now. Point being, just because it's standard practice doesn't make it good, but that's enough of this topic, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

welcome posted:

Nobody patched my PSX copy, if somebody patched yours my condolences.

I mean if you have the original FF7R disc and make sure not to play it online you'll be fine still.

triple sulk posted:

She didn't grow up playing games much or using twin sticks so she's basically incapable of third person games if the camera goes 360 degrees (there's the controller assist, but I didn't know about it). Even so, chapter one went fine and most of chapter two, but on top of the frequent combat (random battles aren't perceived as being as bad), the errand running with Tifa really killed off the interest for good.

I think if Remake had half the combat and only did the main beats plus the actual critical new stuff, it would have been fine. My current plan because I'm an unemployed loser is to basically grind out all the side quests during the day and then at the very least do the main story in her presence, even if she's doing something else part of the time.

My big frustration with that recap video is that it sucks rear end and omits a lot of stuff for someone like her who knows the OG plot and would maybe be interested in what the remake is doing with the story, but doesn't want to deal with the padding. I guess you could skim through the 15 hour or however long it is cutscene movie, but really the key things I'd want to highlight are:

- At least being aware of Roche and the chapter 4 content
- Jesse being injured by the whispers
- All the visions
- The Shinra museum cutscene
- The last part of the game, starting at the Jenova fight

That would pretty much cover anything relevant I figure.

Also, they changed the ending line?

So the honest answer is that there is a good amount of downtime in Rebirth, it just depends on how you feel about it. There's more than one segment of the party just like chilling out together and having fun at the beach or at an amusement park, you'll occasionally be asked to help with small side tasks, there's literally one sidequest which boils down to tricking a chicken into following an empty seed can. If Remake just really was too slow paced, I think Rebirth is at risk of it because it has a looooooooot of side stuff. Like if you think your wife is going to lose interest once the CCG tournament starts, yeah, probably not going to be a great time.

Arist posted:

Also, the use of patches and revised editions of games that effectively erase the original release is not some totally neutral thing, there's reasons to be skeptical of that, but that's a conversation I don't think anyone here wants to have right now. Point being, just because it's standard practice doesn't make it good, but that's enough of this topic, I think.

I mean I can understand that but, again, we're talking about FF7. If we didn't have versions that erased the original then the original game wouldn't have Ruby/Emerald/Diamond Weapon fights or the scenes with Zack or so-on. The basic bare-rear end version of FF7 that we played in the US is already the "we changed it" version. I think it's okay to be skeptical but I feel like for FF7 at least there's certainly a case of 'that bird has flown the coup since 1997." Hell, even the PC port of FF7 changed lines of dialogue from the PSX version if you're just counting English text.

Honestly this makes me think of the whole Tseng thing, where the original translation claimed he was dead, so everyone assumed him showing up in Advent Children was a retcon when it was just a mistranslation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 26, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if you have the original FF7R disc and make sure not to play it online you'll be fine still.

So the honest answer is that there is a good amount of downtime in Rebirth, it just depends on how you feel about it. There's more than one segment of the party just like chilling out together and having fun at the beach or at an amusement park, you'll occasionally be asked to help with small side tasks, there's literally one sidequest which boils down to tricking a chicken into following an empty seed can. If Remake just really was too slow paced, I think Rebirth is at risk of it because it has a looooooooot of side stuff. Like if you think your wife is going to lose interest once the CCG tournament starts, yeah, probably not going to be a great time.

I guess when I get to certain parts I'll just have to make a judgement call to try and skip it when she isn't around, or at least say "hey this part's irrelevant, don't mind whatever's going on and do your own thing"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I guess when I get to certain parts I'll just have to make a judgement call to try and skip it when she isn't around, or at least say "hey this part's irrelevant, don't mind whatever's going on and do your own thing"

For what it is worth almost all the side stuff can either be rushed through or put off until later, there's no Remake-style "you MUST do it this chapter" stuff with like one or two exceptions. Until the game flat-out tells you that you're not coming back you can turn around and continue to do sidequests.

(If you want maybe just do the sidequests for whoever you want to Gold Saucer date.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spermando posted:

and also translating Cloud's "I shall be your opponent" to "bring it on, bitch".

Jesus christ

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I am giving them one more Greedo shot first and then the gloves are coming off!!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Got a bunch of whisper lovers in here… cant change fate/translation errors

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spermando posted:

In the new dub, this line overlaps with his laugh. Just awful.

Edit: this rant reminds me of the weeaboo from another forum I mentioned a few days ago. His two biggest arguments for the English localization being bad were the steel sky line and also translating Cloud's "I shall be your opponent" to "bring it on, bitch".

Bring it on bitch is so good lmao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My tolerance for arguing about localizations is an all time low since the unicorn overlord poo poo started so
im incapa le of caring about this change

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

since the unicorn overlord poo poo started

I don't give a gently caress what the context behind this is, this is a beautiful sentence

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

My tolerance for arguing about localizations is an all time low since the unicorn overlord poo poo started so
im incapa le of caring about this change

Wait, what is the Unicorn thing?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Whoops I went back and patched 7R so that every line is “bring it on, bitch”

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are there difficulty options for the mini games? Also, is there anything mis-able tied to them?

I get a strong case of fomo if there's stuff locked behind mini games, and Im pretty sure I'll never get above a C in the piano mini games and such.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, what is the Unicorn thing?

It's a twitter thing that started yesterday, some idiot did the stupid "google translate every line in the demo and compare them to the localized script" thing and noted that the English version was more verbose/florid/what-have-you and decided this was DISGUSTING LOCALIZERS THINKING THEY'RE BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT. It was complete nonsense but it blew up to the point Yasumi Matsuno was chiming in saying he preferred Alexander O. Smith's localized script for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebirth shipped today! Aww yiss!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

It's a twitter thing that started yesterday, some idiot did the stupid "google translate every line in the demo and compare them to the localized script" thing and noted that the English version was more verbose/florid/what-have-you and decided this was DISGUSTING LOCALIZERS THINKING THEY'RE BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT. It was complete nonsense but it blew up to the point Yasumi Matsuno was chiming in saying he preferred Alexander O. Smith's localized script for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Ooooh boy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Disappointing how many people are not aware of Unicorn Overlord.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am aware of it! I just didn't hear the drama

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Unironically looking forward to it more than Rebirth!

There is a demo on PS4/5 and Switch! It’s good!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Ooooh boy.

c'mon, you were so close

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Unicorn Overlord is in the unfortunate position of coming out in the same window as Rebirth and DD2. Will pick it up just.... not for a bit.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I would be hype as gently caress to play Unicorn Overlord in a week and a half if this wasn't taking up my entire March. I've got a couple hours in the demo and it's great. Had no idea it was a thing til this week. It'll probably be the next thing I play, and then P3R.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Couldn't be me but I respect the attitude

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
l i t t l e m o n e y

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Mods??

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ultimately, it's mostly just annoying because it's yet another example of people who aren't able to understand English claiming that a translation is "wrong" because it used a little subtlety and they didn't get it, just like people who claimed that the translation of Ranni's ending in Elden Ring was wrong.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When he was a young boy did Genesis' dad take him into the city?

EDIT: lmao wait, I'm an idiot confusing different bands, My Chemical Romance is not the same band as My Bloody Valentine, who did Loveless, the album I was referencing

Gologle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 27, 2024

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

When he was a young boy did Genesis' dad take him into the city?

EDIT: lmao wait, I'm an idiot confusing different bands, My Chemical Romance is not the same band as My Bloody Valentine, who did Loveless, the album I was referencing

Genesis would have been a better character if every time he opened his mouth out came a blast of wobbly guitar feedback.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Genesis would have been a better character if he just didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i love when genesis just pops up in Nibelheim out of nowhere, says a bunch of nonsense that has no effect on Sephiroth's backstory whatsoever, and then fucks off immediately and it goes back to being a normal retelling of the Nibelheim incident.