Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

My gut tells me that surge pricing is ultimately a money loser. Fast food has one thing going for it, predictability. You know what you’re going to get, how much it’s going to cost, and how long it’ll take. When you start taking one of those away, people tend to find alternatives, which there are plenty of in fast food.

I agree that it would ultimately hurt their business but everyone is on a kamikaze run to grow and can only think three months in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

My gut tells me that surge pricing is ultimately a money loser. Fast food has one thing going for it, predictability. You know what you’re going to get, how much it’s going to cost, and how long it’ll take. When you start taking one of those away, people tend to find alternatives, which there are plenty of in fast food.

Fast food these days also isn't that much less than getting takeout at an actual restaurant so the incentive to get McDonald's or something is lower than ever

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

That and not having to worry about snow removal.

I not only shoveled my own sidewalk at my last rental, I shoveled my landlord's (two houses down) as well :negative: In my defense,
1. Short rowhome sidewalks
2. They were pretty old folks
3. I was paid in tasty soup, with no boot to speak of.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Barely related except by the vaguest of tangents, but Ed Zitron just started up a new podcast, Better Online, which explores a lot of the strange and bad things the tech industry gets up to; his latest episode features guest/goon Robert Evans discussing the rot economy, all about how tech products are basically getting worse and worse for users and humanity alike, because user experience and the lives and wellbeing of people and even the quality of the product itself are all dispensable in the aim of infinite economic growth. Pretty good at providing a perspective to an economic/financial/tech lunkhead like me on why everything to do with the internet feels like it’s going down the shitter!

Edit: lmao beaten by a post!

Tech Won't Save Us another good show in this category, though it's fairly dry.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It does help to be a real psycho who keeps a spreadsheet inventory of what's in there, too, but even I realize that's beyond reasonable for most people.

I tried to keep track of mine with various methods, and never ended up keeping it up to date when pulling stuff out leading to hunting through it anyway.

Then I settled on post-it flags for each item in there stuck to the door and when I take a thing out I throw the little post-it away. It's been great.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Walkabout is such an amazingly good game, the physics are dead on, and they're getting more and more creative with the level design. I haven't picked up the 80 Days course yet, but will likely do so soon.

We just played that one last night, it’s great haha

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

C-Euro posted:

I not only shoveled my own sidewalk at my last rental, I shoveled my landlord's (two houses down) as well :negative: In my defense,
1. Short rowhome sidewalks
2. They were pretty old folks
3. I was paid in tasty soup, with no boot to speak of.

Back when I was married and we had the house (with a long driveway)--and bear in mind that this was after I nearly died from DVTs and PEs, but before I broke my back--I would shovel our driveway, our sidewalks (Madison fines you if your sidewalks aren't clear within 24 hours of snowfall ending) and also our neighbor's sidewalk and driveway, because she was a 70-something widow with very limited mobility. She brought over cranberry bread as a thank-you, once.

I wanted to die after heavy snow storms. :negative:

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 27, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Thaddius the Large posted:

Barely related except by the vaguest of tangents, but Ed Zitron just started up a new podcast, Better Online, which explores a lot of the strange and bad things the tech industry gets up to; his latest episode features guest/goon Robert Evans discussing the rot economy, all about how tech products are basically getting worse and worse for users and humanity alike, because user experience and the lives and wellbeing of people and even the quality of the product itself are all dispensable in the aim of infinite economic growth. Pretty good at providing a perspective to an economic/financial/tech lunkhead like me on why everything to do with the internet feels like it’s going down the shitter!

Edit: lmao beaten by a post!

If it weren’t for General Dog I would say that the circles of “TFF chat posters” and “followers of Ed Zitron” overlap perfectly

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don't know who Ed Zitron is

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

nothing much what's ed zitron with you

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I don't know who Ed Zitron is

You know, neither did I but that’s who was on that episode of QAnon anonymous I was referencing. I just double checked. Seemed smart, guess I’ll check out his show.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My gut says you’ll get people to pay that once - if they see it’s a huge markup, they’ll likely avoid that chain in the future. Agreed that consistency and predictability is what’s most needed and valued.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Timby posted:

Madison fines you if your sidewalks aren't clear within 24 hours of snowfall ending

The town we used to live in in Mass, nobody ever loving shoveled. They just let it sit on the sidewalk for weeks, turning to ice and growing more and more dangerous. I don’t think there was any legal requirement to, but come on, don’t be a lazy rear end in a top hat. It was basically impossible to walk my dog during the winter unless I just wanted to do it in the middle of the road

Intruder posted:

Fast food these days also isn't that much less than getting takeout at an actual restaurant so the incentive to get McDonald's or something is lower than ever

Yeah I don’t eat much fast food these days but the last time I went to Wendy’s and it was like $15 for a regular sandwich + fries meal definitely made me wonder what the point even is anymore. If I’m gonna eat something that will make me feel like rear end it should at least be cheap

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 27, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’ll point out that people will pay stupid amounts for fast food on the delivery apps. Logic goes out the window when you’re drunk/stoned/lazy

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LeeMajors posted:

I agree that it would ultimately hurt their business but everyone is on a kamikaze run to grow and can only think three months in advance.

This has been the case for decades

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Also they bodysnatched Tim Burke when they arrested him I guess

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Abugadu posted:

This has been the case for decades

So it’s not a problem? I mean the products and services can’t erode forever right?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm trying to picture some Wharton shithead explaining surge pricing to Dave Thomas picoseconds before getting his entire rear end handed to him

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The only podcasts I listen to are The Pants Pod and We're Having Gay Sex. They are...not educational. I get enough of reality working retail and going to school for social work!

....I am so telling on myself right now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone recommended If Books Could Kill earlier in the thread and I've really enjoyed it so far

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I don’t eat much fast food these days but the last time I went to Wendy’s and it was like $15 for a regular sandwich + fries meal definitely made me wonder what the point even is anymore. If I’m gonna eat something that will make me feel like rear end it should at least be cheap

Pretty much the only fast food I still went to was Popeyes but now I just make the sandwiches myself

Every now and then I'll grab Taco Cabana but that's pretty rare at this point

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Pretty much the only fast food I still went to was Popeyes but now I just make the sandwiches myself

Every now and then I'll grab Taco Cabana but that's pretty rare at this point

I think literally the only time I eat fast food is if my fiancée and I are going on a road trip somewhere. Diabetes is a bitch; my kidneys can't take all that drat sodium and the carb overload can leave me feeling like a zombie.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I occasionally order a pizza or Chinese food but cost of living going through the roof here has me quite often just emptying the fridge of anything healthy and just scanning in all the macros and gutsing on stuff.

A fair few Vietnamese bakeries have little take away containers with dim sims etc so I will usually buy some of those and make a salad or something while they're in the steamer.

I will always be a shitpig when it comes to food desires but I've gotten a lot better at saying no to the voice saying "just order it fucker"

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LeeMajors posted:

So it’s not a problem? I mean the products and services can’t erode forever right?

No, it's the biggest problem. It's a massive part of why modern capitalism is a shitshow. Investors keep falling for the same stupid poo poo while trying to chase a golden goose, CEOs who have golden parachutes have zero incentive to maintain long-term prospects for a company's health because they're being graded on a month-to-month basis, consumers are so stretched that they default to lowest price possible not out of choice, but necessity, barriers to entry to the marketplace get higher.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel like if I use that Too Good To Go app that dolfan recommended I'm going to end up being 300 lbs within a year or two. Donuts and cakes at a deep discount as far as the eye can see

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Abugadu posted:

No, it's the biggest problem. It's a massive part of why modern capitalism is a shitshow. Investors keep falling for the same stupid poo poo while trying to chase a golden goose, CEOs who have golden parachutes have zero incentive to maintain long-term prospects for a company's health because they're being graded on a month-to-month basis, consumers are so stretched that they default to lowest price possible not out of choice, but necessity, barriers to entry to the marketplace get higher.

Oh we totally agree then. I agree it’s been an issue for decades but it’s been accelerating hard as they feel pressure to steal everything that’s not nailed down before the climate collapses.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Qwijib0 posted:

I tried to keep track of mine with various methods, and never ended up keeping it up to date when pulling stuff out leading to hunting through it anyway.

Then I settled on post-it flags for each item in there stuck to the door and when I take a thing out I throw the little post-it away. It's been great.

This is a great idea and I’m going to have to try it now, thank you!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

It does help to be a real psycho who keeps a spreadsheet inventory of what's in there, too, but even I realize that's beyond reasonable for most people.

Let me know when you've got your own customized MRP setup for it :smug:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

The only podcasts I listen to

For a long time I was Mr. I Don't Listen To Podcasts, but I realized I was being a smarmy middle-aged dipshit about them.

Don't get me wrong, it's an immature medium with a ton of dreck out there, but I do like some that I imagine are fairly popular among goons, like Well There's Your Problem, Behind the Bastards, and occasionally Shutdown Fullcast (although they've gotten too far into inside jokes and lore for me now).

I cannot find a comedy podcast to enjoy, because even the ones by stand-up comics I like are unbearable.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

it will be -- i worked for a delivery app for a while and our surge pricing was meant to be a deterrent when supply (drivers) and demand (customers) was out of whack in a given market -- it wasn't a make money button. in fact, we viewed making money off of it as a failure in our forecasting and ability to make sure we had enough drivers.

in terms of markup it will generally be around 30%, but really depend on restaurant. markup was supposed to be the way to 'hide' fees since the research and focus groups we ran consistently showed people would expect food would cost more through the app and be ok with an overall higher fee % amount if applied via markup instead of a lower, explicit stated service or delivery fee :shrug:. the problem is most apps are doing markup + fess and some orders when we were building out our markup system would have 50%+ in fees. I flagged this wasn't ok pricing and was overrode and marked the beginning of the end at that job.

Abugadu posted:

this is hitting the nail on the head. executives at most companies aren't incentivized to take a long term vision for stability and success because they aren't expected to make just a profit, they have to grow their profit quarter over quarter. add to this a lot of large businesses no longer viewing their success and societal success as intertwined as a part of communities and we get where we are. consistent trend chasing to try and find profits.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

this is hitting the nail on the head. executives at most companies aren't incentivized to take a long term vision for stability and success because they aren't expected to make just a profit, they have to grow their profit quarter over quarter. add to this a lot of large businesses no longer viewing their success and societal success as intertwined as a part of communities and we get where we are. consistent trend chasing to try and find profits.

Ooh I can tie both the podcast and capitalism topics together here! Check out the Behind the Bastards episodes on Jack Welch. He's a big part of the reason - if not THE reason - for the lack of long-term focus.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kurgarra Queen posted:

The only podcasts I listen to are The Pants Pod and We're Having Gay Sex. They are...not educational. I get enough of reality working retail and going to school for social work!

....I am so telling on myself right now.

Comrade you are working one of the most stressful jobs and going to school to hop to one of the other most stressful jobs. I am ***this*** close to calling a wellness check on you!!!

P.S. thank you for pursuing a path which helps our community

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Ooh I can tie both the podcast and capitalism topics together here! Check out the Behind the Bastards episodes on Jack Welch. He's a big part of the reason - if not THE reason - for the lack of long-term focus.

"The man who broke capitalism" was a great read

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

For a long time I was Mr. I Don't Listen To Podcasts, but I realized I was being a smarmy middle-aged dipshit about them.

Don't get me wrong, it's an immature medium with a ton of dreck out there, but I do like some that I imagine are fairly popular among goons, like Well There's Your Problem, Behind the Bastards, and occasionally Shutdown Fullcast (although they've gotten too far into inside jokes and lore for me now).

I cannot find a comedy podcast to enjoy, because even the ones by stand-up comics I like are unbearable.

Honestly, the Conan O'Brien one is pretty good. I only listen when I want to hear from that particular guest. But it's funny.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

so i got laid off recently (and i didn't get that Aussie job :rip:). so i've been going to the gym a lot more than i used to. it's awesome. just mostly been doing high reps of light weights and lots of walking cause i'm a fat load with a bum leg but i feel so much better in these last two weeks than i have in hte 6 months before. who knew? everyone knew

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

GD_American posted:

I've just gotten into Off Menu. It's a British celeb-interview-type podcast but it's food based, and basically just 3 people riffing. Easy listening, each episode is it's own 60-90 minute self contained thing. Highly recommend

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know how much was changed for the show, but it's based on an actual guys memoir.

It's a little bit more complicated. The book has been scrutinized for bending facts to the point where it's basically fiction. The writer also appears to be a pathological liar.

I still think it's a good book. Just take everything with a massive amount of salt.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah. It's likely all bullshit.

Cool as hell show though.

Catch me if you can still a strong flick. Even if it's all bullshit too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Intruder posted:

Someone recommended If Books Could Kill earlier in the thread and I've really enjoyed it so far

IBCK is good but the best advice I can give about that show if you're coming to it after the fact is to slow-roll your listening. They've definitely started to run out of material even though the hosts still have a good enough rapport to make it work when they level the same critiques in every episode.

Waiting for the day that they pick a book and just spend the whole episode agreeing with it. I feel like I can see it in the distance.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

so i got laid off recently (and i didn't get that Aussie job :rip:). so i've been going to the gym a lot more than i used to. it's awesome. just mostly been doing high reps of light weights and lots of walking cause i'm a fat load with a bum leg but i feel so much better in these last two weeks than i have in hte 6 months before. who knew? everyone knew

Yea being unemployed is great. Until you need money.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

harperdc posted:

My gut says you’ll get people to pay that once - if they see it’s a huge markup, they’ll likely avoid that chain in the future.

MBA Brain says that once is all you need. Losing goodwill with your customers after that is a problem for another quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Some excitement last night. A rear-end accident happened in the lane right next to me. Only this was either some road rage situation or something more than just an accident. I'm pretty sure it was a brake check.

All four people in the rear-ended car immediately got out and started walking toward the car that hit them. I didn't see any weapons but I also wasn't going to stick around to find out. Plus, the at-fault car swerved into oncoming traffic to get away, then floors it ahead of me. I get their license plate (a first responder plate :rolleyes:). Then they swerve onto a side street, then I'm pretty sure back in the other direction. Wild.