Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The only way consoles hold back game development is maybe with graphics and graphics are loving dumb now. Hey how about instead of a photorealistic field you make a fun game instead? This stupid obsession with "ooh nooo we need all the bestest graphics to enjoy an games and those big meanies consoles are ruining it" is what's actually holding back games.

Games that try and sell because "woah look at that grafix" are bad and a symptom of bad game world ecosystem (the world). Just make fun games without jerking off over the pixels jfc.

Some loving Star Citizen brain poison to require visual perfection and realistic fidelity over a fun game, gently caress that right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I haven't thought about star citizen in a long time and I just did a lol because holy gently caress that thing has been in development for 14 years and still doesn't even have an alpha build, just a bunch of 'modules' of parts of the game you can play AFAICT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Read that as As Far As I Care To Know at first and thought, yeah, thats about as much star citizen knowledge as anyone needs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Star Citizens quest for fidelity has made them a game that looks as bad as Starfield but at much greater expense.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vampire Panties posted:

Honestly, unless you want to play FPS games, even an 8 year old laptop can do some decent gaming. I've been working off a Surface Pro 4 for a few months now, and I have to play Dark Souls in 720p but its been fine? :shrug:

yeah this is also true
you only need a "current gen" gaming pc if you wanna keep up with trends and play the big newly released games that your friends are talking about
if you just wanna play good games there's an ocean out there.
and then there are low spec games releasing even now, like the millions of goons who have apparently fallen in love with balatro

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Khanstant posted:

Easy, they tried putting it on console and it came out console quality. Plus people's hardware was so crappy the game had to run at a tiny resolution since they couldn't fit it all on one screen.

Nothing has changed really, games are still held back by consoles and people lazily continue to rely on inferior off the shelf hardware for their computers.

The 4 most popular GPUs on steam bring the kind of performance you could in 2016. The PS5 is like twice that fast.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

i don't think anything holds consoles or PC games back uh

ever

how about that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The worst thing about devs designing games for consoles first isn't the graphical limitations, it's the godawful UI that has me clicking on giant square buttons and long lists of tabs that each take up 10% of the screen. Compare Morrowind's UI to Oblivion's. gently caress that poo poo, I will never forgive the consoles for this.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the console trend of having to hold x for a full second to select something instead of just pressing x. Rely says a lot about console players!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

The 4 most popular GPUs on steam bring the kind of performance you could in 2016. The PS5 is like twice that fast.

Off the shelf hardware includes those PC GPUs. The worst part is even if you spring for a real computer the team of eggheads you need to run it will only let you play chess.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Star Citizens quest for fidelity has made them a game

about that...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

*just sitting at home, teeth clenched thinking about console players

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MSPain posted:

about that...

In a few more few years he will release Star Citizen, signed R Mutt. The question and tension over what is or isn't a game will be the real star.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SilvergunSuperman posted:

*just sitting at home, teeth clenched thinking about console players

Sitting at my desk. Alone. In the dark.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Get a better chair. If going from chair to couch is a noticeable upgrade then you've got a bad chair and of you're going to sit in it all day whether you want to or not, might as well make it a place you'd always be happy to sit. Bonus if you can make work pay for it.

It sounds like you need a better couch.

I have an Aeron at home, completely dialed in how I want it, and it is by far the most comfortable office chair I have ever sat in, but it’s not nearly as comfortable as a nice couch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think I've ever sat on the couches we have now, they look much nicer than the old ones though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I don't think I've ever sat on the couches we have now, they look much nicer than the old ones though.

Goons say the strangest things *laugh track*

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
They say PC expensive but you need a couch to play on a console

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

syntaxfunction posted:

The only way consoles hold back game development is maybe with graphics and graphics are loving dumb now. Hey how about instead of a photorealistic field you make a fun game instead? This stupid obsession with "ooh nooo we need all the bestest graphics to enjoy an games and those big meanies consoles are ruining it" is what's actually holding back games.

Games that try and sell because "woah look at that grafix" are bad and a symptom of bad game world ecosystem (the world). Just make fun games without jerking off over the pixels jfc.

Some loving Star Citizen brain poison to require visual perfection and realistic fidelity over a fun game, gently caress that right off.

Consoles held back gaming for a period from like 2002 - 2008, at best.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vic posted:

They say PC expensive but you need a couch to play on a console

Couch needs a house to go in my friend

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mostly play games on a Game Gear in a dumpster full of rotten shrimp husks and biscuits. frankly I don't see why people feel the need to play games in another way.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Devils Affricate posted:

The worst thing about devs designing games for consoles first isn't the graphical limitations, it's the godawful UI that has me clicking on giant square buttons and long lists of tabs that each take up 10% of the screen. Compare Morrowind's UI to Oblivion's. gently caress that poo poo, I will never forgive the consoles for this.

Morrowind on XBox had a better UI than PC (I would know I play(ed) both extensively) (And they’re almost identical anyway). Terrible modern UIs like Skyrim have nothing to do with console/PC and everything to do with the same godawful iPhone derived aesthetics that have taken over literally every piece of tech UI, not just videogames.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
at least old iphone ui had drop shadows around buttons and poo poo so they clearly stood out from each other and the background.
tech ui nowadays has overcorrected from the ugly iphone skeuomorphism poo poo and is now obsessed with the sleek looking "flat ui" (like ms's windows phone / windows 8 design language or goog's material UI) where things just become less usable for 0 benefit in the interest of fashion

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

at least old iphone ui had drop shadows around buttons and poo poo so they clearly stood out from each other and the background.
tech ui nowadays has overcorrected from the ugly iphone skeuomorphism poo poo and is now obsessed with the sleek looking "flat ui" (like ms's windows phone / windows 8 design language or goog's material UI) where things just become less usable for 0 benefit in the interest of fashion

It’s not just fashion, stuff like the Xbone and post-blades 360 UIs were purposely designed to make it difficult and confusing to just turn on the system and play the game you you turned it on for, in order to maximize the amount of on-screen ads and opportunities for online purchases you saw.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

galagazombie posted:

Morrowind on XBox had a better UI than PC (I would know I play(ed) both extensively) (And they’re almost identical anyway).

What the gently caress is this madness

Morrowind UI on PC was the best UI from any RPG ever. It was basically Windows. You could drag and drop, you could resize, you could move windows around. It was perfection. You could view your entire inventory in one window if you wanted to.

Are you thinking of Oblivion? Oblivion had a garbage UI for PC because it was meant to be played on a console with a lovely resolution you could see from across the room. My fuckin inventory took up the entire screen and could only show all of five items at one time.

credburn fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 27, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

People who like and people who dislike Morrowind UI are both correct.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a good example and case study on differences between a gamepad and kbm UI and how doing both requires a separate one for each control method.

Most games today just map the gamepad UI to kbm so you're doing button combos instead of pushing a dedicated button which keyboards are notorious for having plenty of.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
reboot Snood

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Morrowind UI was great and the Xbox version of it was better because the interface was tabbed, removing the need to manage the windows and inventory only required a button press to perform actions instead of needing to drag poo poo around. It's kind of shocking how well it works, I say that as someone who strongly prefers keyboard & mouse for input.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fuckin hell, is the monthly debate almost done?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No, because I havent' talked about how many hours I sunk into Morrowind for the original Xbox yet never finished it meaning the only Elder Scrolls game I actually finished was Oblivion which is embarrassing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Woke up this morning kicking my blanket off in pure rage that people buy and enjoy consoles

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Woke up this morning kicking my blanket off in pure rage that people buy and enjoy consoles

Wait til you find out that people do/don't like Dark Souls on those consoles!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Seething in rage that people buy miniature versions of consoles to play thirty year old games when they could play them all for free on a PC

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Seething in rage that people buy miniature versions of consoles to play thirty year old games when they could play them all for free on a PC

snes mini is cool looking though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you don't have to keep up unless you're a broke brained "pc master race" graphics-card-review youtuber who can't enjoy pressing butan with less than 200fps or if there's a non-raytraced shadow on screen
you can get a "pretty good" computer once each console generation with hardware on par with the consoles and nearly every game that releases that gen will work on it, albeit not at ultra-maximum settings.
the downside is you're still paying a bit more per unit of horsepower than the consoles because they represent a unified target and game devs can put more effort into optimizing for their specific hardware.

but you dont have to pay an extra $60/year to use your own god drat internet and you can play cool weird indie games that aren't big or important enough to show up on console. and emulators and whatnot too.

you can do taxes and watch youtube videos on any cheapo 8 year old laptop though, the cost to make a "gaming pc" with a big gpu, cpu and lots of ram doesn't have a lot of overlap with those needs.
now if you need to do hardware intensive stuff like blender, photoshop, video editing etc then maybe that makes sense.

I don't disagree, but there are practical concerns - a console goes under my TV and also serves a a blu-ray player and for watching streaming. A PC would either go on our living room desk (which we use for things including soldering and making art), or in the bedroom, basically locking it out of use when someone wants to sleep, and I do enjoy the occasional 2am game of Elden Ring as a treat.

That said, I've considered a PC for music production, so I'd use it for gaming if I had it as it taxes my slightly aging laptop a bit.

I think the distinction of being at the computer or at the TV is enough for some people. I'm not implying either is correct, just that the cultures are slightly different.

It's typically fairly easy to sell a console when console cycles change too, but maybe that's true of PCs in ways I'm ignorant of. I would say the closer they get (fewer couch multiplayer games, less emphasis on swappable physical releases), the less appeal consoles have going forward and Demons Souls was probably the only factor in me wanting a PS5, which was ultimately a 40th birthday gift.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Streaming got so good you get single digit milisecond latency no matter where you place the PC box in your house FYI. Just connect the tv to your home network.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vic posted:

Streaming got so good you get single digit milisecond latency no matter where you place the PC box in your house FYI. Just connect the tv to your home network.

Also true! This is years away, but next time I look a console upgrade, it probably wouldn't be a console at all, unless there was a killer exclusive. My friends, if they play games at all (or the same games as me) are scattered across all different platforms too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Consoles are great for dad's and the unemployed

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is absolutely nothing wrong with PC games.

PC Gamers, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
PC games are, like, clicking on spreadsheets about Ancient Rome and new wave sci-fi adventure games made by doughy goatee guys who are now pedophiles and/or fascists.

Console games are anime, propagana or sometimes anime propaganda.