Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This weeks episode is gonna be 50 mins of Kwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That was a really fun episode. Nade lyfe.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

This weeks episode is gonna be 50 mins of Kwan.

I skipped through a lot of the pirate people crap in ep 3. I just cant take it anymore. They could have shown kwan actually stabbing everyone but someone decided that what we got was more interesting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You're all going to regret it when Pirate Asteroid saves the day by crashing into High Charity and killing everything with Battleroids

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That whole interrogation scene with pirate wife was completely pointless. We don't need to develop the motivations or characters of the traitor crew because they all fuckin die right afterwards. We don't learn any new info or anything. The show just completely wastes 5 minutes of your life.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

That whole interrogation scene with pirate wife was completely pointless. We don't need to develop the motivations or characters of the traitor crew because they all fuckin die right afterwards. We don't learn any new info or anything. The show just completely wastes 5 minutes of your life.

That scene wasn't about pirate wife, it was about Kwan methodically slitting throats.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I liked the scene because I figured it out as soon as the guy commented on it. This show simply hasn't met a trope or cliche it doesn't like

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I also enjoyed the scene showing one of them actually gave a gently caress about the kid. Although I'm not a fan of the kid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the scene was fun and tense, and it's a nice hero moment for Kwan where we see her come back for Jessica Hyde instead of letting her die.

But, like I said before, I suspect the key to the scene is the repeated tapping noise Kwan makes and how it links to the other plots.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought the scene was fun and tense, and it's a nice hero moment for Kwan where we see her come back for Jessica Hyde instead of letting her die.

But, like I said before, I suspect the key to the scene is the repeated tapping noise Kwan makes and how it links to the other plots.

Wait how does it link to the other plots?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

General Battuta posted:

Wait how does it link to the other plots?

The tapping is a coded message the Covenant are sending that some people have started to pick up on UNSC channels, or at least I assume that's what's being referred to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My read is that it's (game spoilers) the psychic influence of the Gravemind. which would explain why it's affecting several disperate characters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good episode. Not a great show by any means, but certainly a big step up from season 1 and it's pretty well-directed even if the writing isn't there. Makee still needs to never appear again ever, but other than that I don't have any major complaints outside of wishing the writing was maybe a bit better and they gave Chief something to do other than just be mad all the time.

They're obviously saving the big Chief getting in the armor moment for next episode and Keyes dying is whatever, they're just gonna replace him with Miranda and probably do the proto-gravemind poo poo with some other character, assuming they even do it which they probably won't.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Open Source Idiom posted:

My read is that it's (game spoilers) the psychic influence of the Gravemind. which would explain why it's affecting several disperate characters.

Buh? That motherfucker's chilling on an installation thousands of light years from anyone, don't recall anything that suggested it was that powerful.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hakkesshu posted:

Makee still needs to never appear again ever, but other than that I don't have any major complaints outside of wishing the writing was maybe a bit better and they gave Chief something to do other than just be mad all the time.

I would put up with three, perhaps as many as four Makees if it meant we didn't have to deal with Kwan, Rebel Princess Warrior anymore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sentinel Red posted:

Buh? That motherfucker's chilling on an installation thousands of light years from anyone, don't recall anything that suggested it was that powerful.

Remember the Guilty Spark that came out of the well on Kwan's home planet when she visited those mystics for no goddamn reason?

I didn't either, but it might have something to do with that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Chief murdering Elites in his loving shirt sleeves was pretty cool. That’s what I’m tuning in for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish the elites had cooler armour. I miss the shark head looking helmets.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Elites only have shields when the VFX artists feel like it I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're clearly not the Halo Reach elites with their cheating animations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I marathoned (lol) season 1 and up to the current episode of season 2 this weekend for some reason but it was an okay time. Season 1 was really bad but season 2 has been much better so far, episode 4 being a pretty big highlight. I need to go back farther in the thread to see what people were saying about s1 but I probably agree with most of the complaints about it, but one of my favorite bits was how in season 1 people kept shaking Kwan by the shoulders going "aliens are literally melting planets, we do not care about the rebellion anymore" and she goes "wow I guess just no one cares about my father who fought and bled for this planet" and then 10 minutes into season 2 they offhand mention that Madrigal got glassed completely proving those people right. Also doing AWOL Chief 30 minutes into season 1 felt like they saw him in his poncho from Halo 4 and decided they wanted to do that immediately.

Also people keep asking where Kai is and what's going on with her, spoilers from the episode title list and the 'Whats coming this season on Halo' trailer
She's Kurt's replacement as the trainer of the Spartan-IIIs. Ackerson is taking her to Onyx to train up Spartan-IIIs and in the trailer he is telling her to "make them Spartans" over footage of a bunch of kids and Perez will also become one.

Which like, cool that's some of my favorite stuff in Halo, but they are telling this story in a wild order considering we haven't even been to a ring yet. But the show seems to have course corrected from s1, looking forward to keeping up with the show weekly now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

Chief murdering Elites in his loving shirt sleeves was pretty cool. That’s what I’m tuning in for.

Yeah I was here for Master Chief manhandling an elite.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Also people keep asking where Kai is and what's going on with her, spoilers from the episode title list and the 'Whats coming this season on Halo' trailer
She's Kurt's replacement as the trainer of the Spartan-IIIs. Ackerson is taking her to Onyx to train up Spartan-IIIs and in the trailer he is telling her to "make them Spartans" over footage of a bunch of kids and Perez will also become one.

That's, uh...actually pretty cool. Reckon they're gonna make Kwan, the literal war orphan, an S-III? That seems like a really obvious direction to go, maybe TOO obvious?

e: Was there any point to keeping Halsey locked up in the holodeck or was Ackerson just loving with her

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

General Battuta posted:

Elites only have shields when the VFX artists feel like it I guess?

Ones with camo ones usually don't have shields I don't think. Makes sense why they've been using the camo Elites so much, the Pred effect is probably much cheaper FX wise plus it means the humans have more of a chance because just lol at dealing with a whole squad of shielded Elites, it'd be fish in a barrel.

It's literally a decade since I last played Halo but wasn't there a ranking to the Elite armour colours? Starting with Blue for regular Joes, then Red, then Gold for commanders and Silver for Black Ops super bastards? Something like that anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blue are Minors
Red are Majors
Silver are Ultras
Pale Blue are Camo
Purple are Spec-Ops
Gold are Generals

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

General Battuta posted:

That's, uh...actually pretty cool. Reckon they're gonna make Kwan, the literal war orphan, an S-III? That seems like a really obvious direction to go, maybe TOO obvious?

Maybe, the shots of Perez in smaller S-III scale Mjolnir shows that they are not going the route of them having to be children like in the books so they might be able to take teenage or younger adult candidates. Or they are skipping IIIs entirely and just going straight to mass produced IVs, but the trailer had younger people for the most part and then a cool shot of the new Spartans flying through space towards a Covenant corvette (maybe a suicide op to retrieve Cortana?)
This plot point has me more excited for the future of this season than eventually getting to Halo does.

General Battuta posted:

e: Was there any point to keeping Halsey locked up in the holodeck or was Ackerson just loving with her

This had me scratching my head because the end of s1 was a pretty clear "woaah where is the REAL Halsey" and then season 2 just immediately goes "she is in ONI custody. She's right there, they caught her immediately again and she's been in jail on Reach the whole time" which is a pretty big wet fart. It seems like he was just keeping her there to gently caress with her and torment her with flash clones of his dead sister but clearly she doesn't particularly care about Julia so the effectiveness of such psychological warfare seems questionable and probably bothers him more than her.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Who was Halsey referring to when she kept asking the bleeding-nose girl what the guy's name is?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Didn’t the forerunners use the Precursor’s psychic interstellar cell-phone network until they destroyed it? Maybe that’s in play with the artifacts, idk.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

huh posted:

Who was Halsey referring to when she kept asking the bleeding-nose girl what the guy's name is?

Ackerson, I guess she didn't know who was keeping her imprisoned but then 20 minutes later she said that she figured it out and knew the girl was Julia which gave away who her captor was. And then the bit with the pomegranate tree she told him she figured out that they had Cortana which, I mean ya I don't know why she would have assumed Cortana was not still with John or at the very least removed and kept with ONI.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I feel like a lot of the "well why did this happen when in season 1..." stuff is an artifact of a new showrunner and team and seemingly some massive course corrections behind the scenes. I very much doubt in the original showrunner's plans season 2 was going to have Halsey in captivity, and madrigal poochied off screen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good riddance to Madrigal sometimes a glassing is a blessing in disguise. No mournful piano solos about an extended siege.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think the course corrections are pretty much all ftw and it sucks they are even necessary, but I think they've got the ship righted again outside of a few story elements that are just going to be how the show is for it's whole run.

More things since I have the show fresh on my mind, the Prophets looked really good in s1. I'm sure it wasn't cheap to have them on screen so I get why they aren't in s2 so far in exchange for cool set piece battles but I'm looking forward to seeing Truth Mercy and Regret again and their voice actors really nailed their calm but unsettling cadence. The bridge scene in s2e4 obviously was invoking some pretty heavy imagery from the New Mombasa bridge crossing from Halo 2 which was pretty cool, and right after that bit was when we get introduced to the game version of Corporal Perez which I thought all was a nice touch.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 26, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Having the chiefs armor stolen is both a good reason to have him be helmet less and adds significantly more stakes to the combat. It also adds more badassness to the fights. A fun and good choice imo.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

SpartanIvy posted:

Having the chiefs armor stolen is both a good reason to have him be helmet less and adds significantly more stakes to the combat. It also adds more badassness to the fights. A fun and good choice imo.

I thought so as well. It will give them a great badass 'mounting the saddle' moment later when he finally gets it back too.

Even though the show has clearly had some re-tooling, it seems for the better. I'm glad they didn't double down on feedback like 'why is he always taking his helmet off'. I felt like having the fall of reach be suitless was a bit of a statement, 'hey, guess what, Master Cheeks is here to stay. '

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nazzadan posted:

I think the course corrections are pretty much all ftw and it sucks they are even necessary, but I think they've got the ship righted again outside of a few story elements that are just going to be how the show is for it's whole run.

More things since I have the show fresh on my mind, the Prophets looked really good in s1. I'm sure it wasn't cheap to have them on screen so I get why they aren't in s2 so far in exchange for cool set piece battles but I'm looking forward to seeing Truth Mercy and Regret again and their voice actors really nailed their calm but unsettling cadence. The bridge scene in s2e4 obviously was invoking some pretty heavy imagery from the New Mombasa bridge crossing from Halo 2 which was pretty cool, and right after that bit was when we get introduced to the game version of Corporal Perez which I thought all was a nice touch.

Cool behind the scenes thing, the Prophets were life sized puppets in s1, they just used cgi for the faces, which yeah, really looked great. Honestly writing aside the production design for the series as a whole has been stellar.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I thought so as well. It will give them a great badass 'mounting the saddle' moment later when he finally gets it back too.

Even though the show has clearly had some re-tooling, it seems for the better. I'm glad they didn't double down on feedback like 'why is he always taking his helmet off'. I felt like having the fall of reach be suitless was a bit of a statement, 'hey, guess what, Master Cheeks is here to stay. '

I thought this was one of the better things they did, because it plays directly in to what Ackerson was saying, and presumably his whole ethos with mass produced disposable spartans. When he was confronting John early on saying "at the end of the day master chief is just a guy in a suit", what more obvious rebuke to Ackerson than taking him out of said suit, and showing, no, he's master chief because of John, not any suit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Random aside, but I enjoyed the bleak humor of Keyes giving this big speech, inspiring the marines by telling them how they'll all be fighting along side Silver Team and the most badass spartan of all, Master loving Chief hoorah! Then everyone gets set up, the spartans of course are front of center where every single marine can see them. Each spartan empties a single clip from their gun, then very visibly gets up and leaves the battle, again, in full view of every marine there. Later chumps.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

As a non-Halo Game Player I'm just chiming in to say I really like this show. Hell, I got my 67 year old dad watching this and the last video game he played was Need For Speed 2 when we bought a steering wheel for our Pentium 2 computer. I thought the action in the latest episode was top notch, the war tropes actually a bit (I was emotional), and maybe someday I'll fire up Steam and get on that Halo collection I purchased a year ago and never made time to play.

Maybe it's just Reverse-Star Trek syndrome. I've been terribly disappointed with shows like Discovery and Picard because they're so different from what I know as a fan as to be almost unrecognizable. Apparently there are people that like these shows, but haven't grown up with the canon like I did in the 80's and 90's. Maybe I fall into the same camp as them as Halo was never a real big part of my life as it was popular during a period of my life that I didn't own an xbox and wasn't really into console gaming.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the show. I hope they make a lot of episodes. The first season felt a bit weak at the beginning but I've really grown to enjoy it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Mental Hospitality posted:

As a non-Halo Game Player I'm just chiming in to say I really like this show. Hell, I got my 67 year old dad watching this and the last video game he played was Need For Speed 2 when we bought a steering wheel for our Pentium 2 computer. I thought the action in the latest episode was top notch, the war tropes actually a bit (I was emotional), and maybe someday I'll fire up Steam and get on that Halo collection I purchased a year ago and never made time to play.

Maybe it's just Reverse-Star Trek syndrome. I've been terribly disappointed with shows like Discovery and Picard because they're so different from what I know as a fan as to be almost unrecognizable. Apparently there are people that like these shows, but haven't grown up with the canon like I did in the 80's and 90's. Maybe I fall into the same camp as them as Halo was never a real big part of my life as it was popular during a period of my life that I didn't own an xbox and wasn't really into console gaming.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the show. I hope they make a lot of episodes. The first season felt a bit weak at the beginning but I've really grown to enjoy it.

Picard is just bad. I like every Star Trek in some way except Picard. It's such an obvious nostalgia cash in and the writers put 0 thought into any of it. The plots are stupid and don't hold up to even the slightest critical thought, the characters aren't written anything like they were in TNG, a lot of legitimately good characters from older shows were unceremoniously killed off, and the few good new characters in the show were squandered and driven off. It's an embarrassment to the franchise and I hope they retcon it as a dream holodeck simulation or something.

I get it if Discovery is not your thing because there are some weird and bad parts to it, but overall I think it's a pretty good show that will see a rebound in ratings like Enterprise did.

I'd rate the Halo TV show on par with season 1 of Discovery. It's entertaining enough, and most of the criticisms are because it's trying to do things different than prior franchise entries.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Tom Guycot posted:

I thought this was one of the better things they did, because it plays directly in to what Ackerson was saying, and presumably his whole ethos with mass produced disposable spartans. When he was confronting John early on saying "at the end of the day master chief is just a guy in a suit", what more obvious rebuke to Ackerson than taking him out of said suit, and showing, no, he's master chief because of John, not any suit.

I've been thinking we might get a plot point of John escaping Reach, only to find 'someone else' in the suit, fulfilling the propaganda needs. It'd be a way to bring Ackerman and Oni and co back front and centre on the show, and fill it with some cheap to film drama, but would also presumably delay the actual 'Halo' discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Picard is just bad. I like every Star Trek in some way except Picard. It's such an obvious nostalgia cash in and the writers put 0 thought into any of it. The plots are stupid and don't hold up to even the slightest critical thought, the characters aren't written anything like they were in TNG, a lot of legitimately good characters from older shows were unceremoniously killed off, and the few good new characters in the show were squandered and driven off. It's an embarrassment to the franchise and I hope they retcon it as a dream holodeck simulation or something.

I get it if Discovery is not your thing because there are some weird and bad parts to it, but overall I think it's a pretty good show that will see a rebound in ratings like Enterprise did.

I'd rate the Halo TV show on par with season 1 of Discovery. It's entertaining enough, and most of the criticisms are because it's trying to do things different than prior franchise entries.

Picard and Discovery were collectively so bad that they strangled my interest in further Star Trek adventures, as a Halo fan who read the books years ago and loved Bungie's games, the show is often just sort of meandering and lame but it doesn't turn me off from playing the games. This season is much more compelling so far, though and I hope Kai comes back to yeet some more people into the roof