Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jerkface posted:

AFAIK its not based on players.

im pretty sure it is affected by number of players as well. when i first got the game and matchmaking was broken and no one could login i played a bunch of solo lvl 4 missions and the number of enemies, especially chargers, seemed significantly less than when i did finally get into full squad games at the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

People going Rambo can be a huge pain in the rear end and imo it's kind of an annoyingly selfish way to play. If it's well communicated why they are going to run off and there is a game plan it's fine, but some people like to run off and just start doing objectives alone, which causes very little enemies to spawn around them and a boost in enemies for the rest of the team to deal with. These same people always seem to think that they are the only ones who know what they are doing and everyone else is just taking on engagements for no reason when in reality their team is just getting swarmed and they are not helping at all.

The games progression is fast enough idg why some people want to bum rush every mission. If you stick together for the most part you'll get out with the whole team, with the most resources and usually have 10-15 minutes to spare even on the highest difficulties.

Unless the team is getting swarmed at an objective then you are taking on engagements for no reason. If you are getting swarmed in the middle of nowhere just leave.

Objectives spawn a certain amount of breaches or dropships for a fight when you start hitting terminals which is where you fight. Shooting at everything you see on the map can call in insane and potentially infinite amounts of reinforcements. So if you demand to fight whatever comes over nothing you'll just be dying to tanks/hulks chargers/titans for literally no reason.

And the amount of enemy spawns aren't dependent on the amount of players so one person isn't making it harder on you. I'm usually that person because it's hard to hit 30 points of interest as a group and everyone wants the samples/super credits/medals on the map. I'll still have to contend with multiple bug breaches at vault doors, bug breaches if I try to fist fight the defenders standing over a pod or bug breaches at any size nest I run across. 4 titans will pop out of a heavy nest whether I'm alone or not.

The key to this game is momentum and everyone just wanting to infinitely fight whatever they see is the problem.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think groups just pull more enemies due to the divers being more spread out.

Darox posted:

It does have a heat sink on the back you can shoot just like tank turrets, though it's near impossible to actually hit without someone else to distract it. It's pretty hard to hit with calldowns too just because of how high up it is. My go-to answer is orbital lasers.

I once killed one in 2 impact grenades, the very first one i encountered. Have yet to replicate that or kill one easily with a call in after that. Very annoying.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BastardySkull posted:

It's also sort of bugged in that when it turns it sometimes leaves behind a sorta copy of the turret which clips through itself, at least it does on my end. So that can confuse you which way it is pointing, where the vent is.

I got caught out by this in the most violent of fashions

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

JBP posted:

Speaking of pubbies I'm frequently getting dudes dropping in to 8 with a flamethrower and jetpack and all I can think is hell yeah brother.
I've tried this combo but not being able to spew flames while jumpjetting made me sad :(

or well you can but you shoot them to your left which is not very helpful

BastardySkull posted:

It's also sort of bugged in that when it turns it sometimes leaves behind a sorta copy of the turret which clips through itself, at least it does on my end. So that can confuse you which way it is pointing, where the vent is.
Yeah I get this too. I think it's because of a LOD model spawning in too soon so you get a low detail model on top of the regular one which obscures the heat sinks on its back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know what game others are looking for here, but if the optimal strategy is for everyone to gently caress off and do their own thing and to also avoiding shooting as much as you possibly can, I hope they rectify that as soon as possible. I can't think of a more boring game to play than solo Helldivers sneaky times.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know what game others are looking for here, but if the optimal strategy is for everyone to gently caress off and do their own thing and to also avoiding shooting as much as you possibly can, I hope they rectify that as soon as possible. I can't think of a more boring game to play than solo Helldivers sneaky times.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I'll go rambo all day long when I mark a distant titan and say "Avoid the titan" and a squad mate opens up on it with a LMG from 100m away then runs around in circles screaming for help against the 4 breaches that opened because 3 people are fighting a world war against a random bunch of bugs at the drop point miles away from anything.

There was no reason to attack and no reason to fight there. I'm not going to come help and am waiting to see if it takes 8 titans or 10 for people to realize they are fixated on nothing and that the 8+ objectives and 30+ points of interest are the actual point and there is plenty of fighting at all of them the reinforcements should be saved for.

I balance it by fighting at all main/side objectives. You still get the fun combat but it isn't completely pointless like 75% of the team getting butchered in a field for no reason. You COULD cheese the objectives at full sprint to be ~optimal~ but that's not fun.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 27, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darox posted:

This combination of "these drat rambos are forcing us to fight more bugs" and "I shoot every bug I see" is funny to me.

Having done suicidal missions both solo and with a pack of four, if there is any increase in total bug numbers it's a very small change. The game is far easier and calmer with four people running around than it is solo if you get into a firefight.

I don’t actually shoot every patrol I see I just don’t see why “avoid bugs” is such common advice when you can kill a bajillion bugs even on harder difficulties and it’s not even that bad. I’ve only got one more difficulty to tackle and our squad tends to make it in and out nearly every time. it’s not like I’m struggling and looking for advice here…I dunno people can play however they want but not necessarily with my group. Rambos are bad vibes imo and none of us seem to enjoy it.

Of course if you are playing solo, taking stuff head on is going to be much harder than playing with a group. But that is not the same thing. No one actually 100% knows exactly how spawns scale but everything I can find online seems to indicate that the consensus is that more players=more enemies, so I think my point stands. A the end of the day I just think the game is fun when everyone is working together instead of running off doing their own things. It’s also a lot easier to get samples back when you don’t have to worry about someone dying half way across the map.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BastardySkull posted:

Lmao this.
Tanks do it too.

By the way those turrets (alone) have a godawful aggro/sight range.

They almost solely aggro on players due to OTHER nearby bots being alerted - but when they do, they can and will snipe you at some ridiculous distances.

That said: SPEAR fucks them utterly, 110 strike is great, Airstrike is somewhat reliable if one of the bombs hits the towertop. EAT and RR can kill it in 2-3 shots, Railgun kills it in about 8 (or less if you get the vent)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Reiterating that shooting automaton cannon turrets with EATs also works, and even works from the front. It's why EAT is a lock in all my loadouts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably the "best" thing to do is have 3 guys do the main objective (and those blue objectives), and the 4th guy is sneaking around, because the main objectives will be a lot more "defend this area for a while while dropships and bugs spawn" which 1-2 people can't reliably do. It's nothing to have a guy throw an air strike on top of a base and clear a medium outpost and grab some samples, and if they're good they'll never shoot their gun because killing enemies doesn't help their objective. 4 people doing everything together is very overkill and likely is going to bog down the group because that's 4 people who have to resist the urge to shoot at random patrols, etc.

You can also get away with two pairs, because you can probably complete an objective with just 2 people who are smart about their loadouts/stratagems. They'll also likely get hosed up by a bile titan/tank/hulk unless they're ready for it-- which is why it's better to have 3 bruisers and some idiot with a jetpack or whatever.

But no, 4 people running around individually will probably clear a bunch of outposts but will likely be unable to do main objectives reliably. A lot of them are things that really want you to have two people working together, like artillery or moving satellite dishes.

The Rambo is supposed to be the worst fighter on the team because if they know what they're doing they won't actually be fighting anything, just mopping up a few stragglers after carpet bombing an outpost. They're also likely going to have the least fun, unless they have a lot more fun sneaking around, providing bonus value and getting chased by a bunch of killbots all the time like me. They're kinda like bringing a thief in Final Fantasy 1-6: you're not really going to be doing as much damage or providing as much utility as the rest of the party, but you can get them extra money/items/gear/loot that is extremely valuable, or you can move first and deliver a clutch healing item or whatever. But nobody would say that a thief is an important, core member of the party. Maybe if you give them the right gear they can meaningfully contribute more, but that takes some doing.

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 27, 2024

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

jokes posted:

Also the OG liberator is weirdly useful the entire game I really thought it was going to end up sucking.

the liberator is a solid enough gun, tho funnily i think it's mostly beaten by the defender smg as a standard automatic gun primary

the real issue is that so many of the "sidegrades" are just hot garbage. i tried using the counter-sniper dmr and between the reduced ammo, increased recoil, and piss-poor handling that makes the autocannon feel snappy i ended up just using my sidearm as much as possible instead

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The fun is that the gameplay is emergent. Sneaking will never end a mission with no engagements but it gives you a lead on the game. You manage to knock out an objective or two then the poo poo hits the fan. Maybe you gently caress up and the poo poo hits the fan.

The game is amazing in its use of a huge number of interactive systems, which means sneaking, using cover intelligently, disengaging from combat, fighting and good old fashioned blowing poo poo up are all able to happen at the same time.

Nobody is yucking your yum by getting a heap of mats and free medals on the sly while you indulge in incredible violence. Conversely if you have a loose cannon pubbie just fight with them, or drop orbitals on their position and slink away. Just enjoy the game it owns and there's no right way to play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please yuck my yum

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

annoyed at my suicidal missions filling up with level 7s and 8s. How did you even unlock this? Just basically asking for a carry since you can contribute nothing to dealing with heavy armor.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Is anyone having trouble joining a friend's game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please yuck my yum

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

annoyed at my suicidal missions filling up with level 7s and 8s. How did you even unlock this? Just basically asking for a carry since you can contribute nothing to dealing with heavy armor.

Time to load up spear, 110s, orbital laser and orbital railgun then hope they get the rest done lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Janissary Hop posted:

Couple people in the discord seemingly having the same issue. Was just about to get on with my friends too!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So do Super Samples just spawn at a random point of interest or is there a method to finding them consistently?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

anyone figured out a good strategy for the damned bot civilian extract missions? I swear they toned them down then just tuned them way back up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So do Super Samples just spawn at a random point of interest or is there a method to finding them consistently?

All 3 always spawn in the same place under a weird tree that sort of looks like a mushroom. No idea why they did it like that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Janissary Hop posted:

Yeah me and a friend ditched work earlier today to play but couldn't connect :argh:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

PlasticAutomaton posted:

anyone figured out a good strategy for the damned bot civilian extract missions? I swear they toned them down then just tuned them way back up.

apparently one strat is 3 players kick up a real noise somewhere that isnt the objective and then one person just runs around hitting the buttons without firing their gun at all

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

JBP posted:

I reckon it would be boss poo poo for egg missions. Run around the back while the fight is on, jet pack up to the egg zone and torch/bomb the eggs.

Jetpack + Flamethrower on egg missions. This is what I do right on up into helldive, and maybe there is a better way to do it, but I love this way of doing it. :flame: :getin:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I've only managed to complete them on the map with chokepoints, with mortar, electric mortar and railgun. If someone else brings the same it's a smooth ride

I don't like that I've had to choose such a boring loadout to win though

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

So my friends can't connect to me and I can't connect to anyone, not even by quickplay. Was playing this less than 24 hours ago with no issue. It's actually worse than the initial week launch because at least then I could get in and play normally by connecting to someone in the goon group or my friends list.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's one specific point of interest, a tall rock with silver veins. Sometimes the pillar will have other crap glued to it like containers.

It is entirely possible for both variants of this pillar to spawn in a single mission, in which case the super samples will only be around one of them.

Regardless, all super samples for the mission will be present around the same PoI, so once you've found it you've got all the super samples.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Looks like a big ballsack

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DarkDobe posted:

Im pretty sure that's the 'orbital scattering' planet modifier at work.

Makes all orbital strikes have godawful accuracy.

poo poo, this is probably it. Ive only been running eith the laser and rail for my other orbitals which probably aren't impacted by that since they auto target. Thanks for convincing me not to dump it, hah.

Also, I generally play where my group sets a way point at the next objective, we all split up and take sligjtly different routes to get to it to nab stuff on the way, and then we might up and have a big fight before repeating and extracting. I like it that way, plenty of shooting, plenty of sneaking, we are regularly on our own but also close enough to help each other out. Seems optimal to me, in terms of maximizing fun and rewards both on higher levels.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

JBP posted:

turn on your monitor

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

JBP posted:

If your ballsack looks like that pillar I would recommend visiting a doctor.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they implement some environmental effects like swarms or something. Like in addition to the usual opposition there are heaps of small bugs that don't call more or something.

I also want them to make the bot factories less distinct little zones and have some true hellwar areas. Like rather than 2 big red zones have 1/4 of the map be a red zone with an objective in it. Not only would this offer some extremely hectic gaming, but dropping 380s to blow up a postcode would finally own as hard as it should.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of people going off solo during missions, I had a fun one today with some pubbies. The group kept splitting up for bits of time and meeting again at the major objectives, which was fine and fun. It was kinda nice when you'd just stumble on one of the other divers in a fight and help him out.

However one guy got way separated for a bit while everyone else headed for extraction. While waiting for him before calling the ship I could hear the growing sound of explosions and gun fire. This guy showed up with the most insane mob of bugs chasing him across the map. Like I'd probably guess hundreds of them. It was insanely funny, especially because there was no warning thing guy was dragging this enormous mob other than the constant sound of gunfire and explosions in the distance l.

Kly posted:

im pretty sure it is affected by number of players as well. when i first got the game and matchmaking was broken and no one could login i played a bunch of solo lvl 4 missions and the number of enemies, especially chargers, seemed significantly less than when i did finally get into full squad games at the same level.

I think the thing there might be that enemies are attracted to gunfire. If there is only 1 of you, there is less shooting, less booming, etc so there's less enemies getting attracted to your position. This is also true if you just don't engage enemies beyond the minimum you have to.

I'm not 100% certain but it's an alternative explanation.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sneaking is good actually. I had an extremely fun bot mission where we landed next to the supersamples immediately, snuck through the entire map without taking on outposts and avoided combat in general, except at the three main objective points and extract where 3+ tanks got dropped on us at each one.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I strongly believe the "optimal" way to play is two teams of two scouring the map, reinforcing eachother if they die and kiting swarms away from objectives if needed, it's a 40 minute timer people, if you are spending 10 minutes grinding towards a single objective through 10 patrols calling in reinforcements and lost half your respawns and your call-down weapons are covered in 200 enemies, you probably could be doing something better.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

This is your PSA that you can kill bot turret towers from the front with a moderately overcharged railgun. Takes 3-4 shots.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I strongly believe the "optimal" way to play is two teams of two scouring the map, reinforcing eachother if they die and kiting swarms away from objectives if needed, it's a 40 minute timer people, if you are spending 10 minutes grinding towards a single objective through 10 patrols calling in reinforcements and lost half your respawns and your call-down weapons are covered in 200 enemies, you probably could be doing something better.

Other than teams of two that's how it worked in the first game on the highest difficulties too. You generally wanted to avoid getting bogged down in a fight and be a sneaky and quick as possible to hit objectives.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 27, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

quite stretched out posted:

apparently one strat is 3 players kick up a real noise somewhere that isnt the objective and then one person just runs around hitting the buttons without firing their gun at all

This doesn't work cause the bot drop ships just keep going where players are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Other than teams of two that's how it worked in the first game on the highest difficulties too. You generally wanted to avoid getting bogged down in a fight and be a sneaky and quick as possible to hit objectives.

I'm hoping that the change in perspective prompts some get in there and kill things missions that aren't just the current kind of dull "kill bug/robot" missions.

E: they might bring in the big rear end mech for bots and that could be straight up battle mode.