Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

WHEN THE WHO ARRIVED???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adhd loving blows. I’ve spent the last 2 months doing jack poo poo. I don’t want to do anything but play halo and helldivers

It’s debilitating

But mfs like somerton need to stop blaming that poo poo on adhd. Get some pills and do your poo poo dude. I forget things all the time but I don’t plagiarize because I don’t set myself up to forget such a thing.

Stinky rear end

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Destiny and his fans are so loving vile holy poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Noah posted a banger today A+ ending

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

euroshopper posted:

no it's great when jazz composer youtube gurus make Persona 5 Soundtrack Reaction Videos where they're comparing every key change / modulation to miles davis or herbie hancock

i think gen z gamers need to discover music on their own terms outside of watching youtube content slop but that's just me

go do your homework or whatever

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:hai:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KingKalamari posted:

I'm still baffled by how the reaction video genre took off. Who are the millions of people who keep watching these? Are they aware that other types of media exist?

trilobite terror posted:

It’s parasociality in its purest form. All of the enjoyment of hanging out with friends without any of the effort or work or responsibility.

That's also true for livestreaming & v-tubers, most multi-person podcasts etc etc which makes up a gigantic proportion of youtube content. But going back even further it was also a big factor in the popularity of talkback radio, TV morning shows, sports discussion/analysis TV, etc etc. Pop culture reaxx videos were just opening up the format to a new audience

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

watching a guy go 'haha' at a funny internet clip is parasocial, unlike caring deeply about youtubers' political opinions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All content consumption is actually parasocial, little known fact. Also it turns you into a chud.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i feel like someone needs to put "parasocial" on the high shelf for a little while

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm getting interested in watching various animated pilots on youtube and this is one that just came out this week that i thought was decent, also recognized a couple of animators in the credits (including Joshua Palmer who created/animated the series Monkey Wrench). more family-leaning this one, although I think that's probably not unusual for a lot of animated pilots because it's what networks are largely buying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH-ujKvm4Pc

it was kind of a nice salve after trying and failing to get through the Digital Circus pilot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Note that livestreaming where they interact with chat isn't parasocial but it's still "the enjoyment of hanging out with friends without any of the effort or work or responsibility."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i parasocially think the person who introduced the phrase 'parasocial' to the internet should be beaten with sockem boppers

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Feel like because the term parasocial has become increasingly diluted by people free associating the concept in a contextless void until it just means something from a creator is personal or conversational, while still trying to retain some clinical severity of when it is used to describe relationships grifters court with manipulative language and tactics to make their audience feel closer to them in order to extract things from them. I don't like X so it's the Bad Thing because I can gymnastics the word in here, not because the creator is doing anything particularly malign I just want to insult people who enjoy a thing I don't like.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Sydin posted:

All content consumption is actually parasocial, little known fact. Also it turns you into a chud.

This thread is the most parasocial of them all obviously

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spaced God posted:

The ultimate react content is Dougdoug who tried to figure out the plots of 24 and One Tree Hill by only watching the "previously on" intros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy7PnY_L2QU

I'm one hour in and Doug? one of the dougs? First time i've ever watched this has decided Ira Gaines and Tony Almeida are the same person. This is gold, thank you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
its not parasocial until you give them money for content that is technically free

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the whole thing about 'parasocial' as a term that people are totally missing is that, it is normal, to be a bit parasocial. saying behavior is parasocial is not a free win to intellectual superiority. everyone engages in some amount of parasocial behavior. it is simply how the human brain works. there are positive effects of parasocial behavior. it is part of how people understand the world and society around them. this has been studied and well documented for decades. parasocial behavior only becomes toxic when you are hinging your emotional or physical well being on it, or pushing aside actual relationships for it. stop using it as a synonym for 'watching youtube videos i dont like.'

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Parasocial has become such a buzzword I've seen it used to describe abusive relationships between people who straight up know and directly interact with each other. Just because a relationship is dishonest (like one side believing the other loves them) doesn't make it parasocial.

And conversely a parasocial relationship doesn't have to involve deception? You can definitely hold opinions on people who you will never meet or meaningfully interact with based on their actions.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 27, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

parasocial is what you pack when going skydiving

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

sometimes it's nice to watch people experiencing media that I like for the first time and wondering if they'll pick up on little details or have some analysis which gives me a new perspective on the material.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

cumpantry posted:

And the para socials is where you post the photos afterwards.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I may be parasocial but at least I'm not para-socal

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
firing up youtube rn and folks, I'm gonna watch some reaction videos. I might even get some joy out of watching other people like a thing I also like!!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
People love to overuse and dilute words until they're entirely meaningsless, most of the time because they don't actually understand the word and think it just means "thing/person I don't like". Parasocial, chud, grifter, Goon.

Sydin posted:

firing up youtube rn and folks, I'm gonna watch some reaction videos. I might even get some joy out of watching other people like a thing I also like!!!

You parasocial chud!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
One time I tried looking through the catalogues at an academic library to see the research on parasocial relationships. To my surprise, the field hasn't really advanced all that much from back when the first paper on "para-social interactions" was first written during the television era. The research remains surprisingly sparse even now.

One of the more recent books on the subject I could find cast some degree of doubt on if parasociability either exists at all or even as advertised; going so far to posit another alternative explanation that'll likely never catch on. At least they tried.

Honestly, I don't even know what to make of it. I just kinda figured, for all I've heard about parasocial stuff, there'd be more to it. There wasn't. The end, no moral.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dta1wF7m5lA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here’s a reaction video that makes me both laugh and feel sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOzk5UuyjTg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Average Something Awful parasocial behavior

edit: Original video sucked as it turned out, replaced it with the source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiPskldhmpg

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 27, 2024

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

cumpantry posted:

no, parasocial is what you take outside with you to keep the rain or the sun off you

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gnome de plume posted:

no, parasocial is what you take outside with you to keep the rain or the sun off you

no, parasocial is a 2008 song by Slipknot

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

no, parasocial is a 2008 song by Slipknot

Is that the one that sounds like a drop-tuned Luscious Jackson song

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Parasocial, chud, grifter, Goon

Alec Guinness was so good in this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Endorph posted:

the whole thing about 'parasocial' as a term that people are totally missing is that, it is normal, to be a bit parasocial. saying behavior is parasocial is not a free win to intellectual superiority. everyone engages in some amount of parasocial behavior. it is simply how the human brain works. there are positive effects of parasocial behavior. it is part of how people understand the world and society around them. this has been studied and well documented for decades. parasocial behavior only becomes toxic when you are hinging your emotional or physical well being on it, or pushing aside actual relationships for it. stop using it as a synonym for 'watching youtube videos i dont like.'

Yeah this is pretty much the point I was trying to make, if reaction videos fell under the 'parasocial' label then so would a whole lot of widespread radio & TV formats going back many many decades

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Morroque posted:

One time I tried looking through the catalogues at an academic library to see the research on parasocial relationships. To my surprise, the field hasn't really advanced all that much from back when the first paper on "para-social interactions" was first written during the television era. The research remains surprisingly sparse even now.

One of the more recent books on the subject I could find cast some degree of doubt on if parasociability either exists at all or even as advertised; going so far to posit another alternative explanation that'll likely never catch on. At least they tried.

Honestly, I don't even know what to make of it. I just kinda figured, for all I've heard about parasocial stuff, there'd be more to it. There wasn't. The end, no moral.

I'd be interested in the book if you still remember the title.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you had a head injury that was causing you memory issues from birth and you wrote stuff for a living and part of your process was using other people's writing as a jumping off point, wouldn't you at some point figure out how to put in little notes like [this came from X, make sure to rewrite it]. Pretty sure Google docs can do that. Scrivener can do that. You could like. Highlight those passages in a different color...

Just seems like if you had been living with memory issues since you were a child, you would figure out ways to deal with them. Just seems like a really obvious lie because the guy doesn't want to say "I stole people's poo poo because I wanted to make the most amount of money possible with the least amount of effort possible."

Are we sure he's not lying about being a marketing expert too, I thought marketing people were supposed to be good at convincing you of poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MJeff posted:

If you had a head injury that was causing you memory issues from birth and you wrote stuff for a living and part of your process was using other people's writing as a jumping off point, wouldn't you at some point figure out how to put in little notes like [this came from X, make sure to rewrite it]. Pretty sure Google docs can do that. Scrivener can do that. You could like. Highlight those passages in a different color...

Just seems like if you had been living with memory issues since you were a child, you would figure out ways to deal with them. Just seems like a really obvious lie because the guy doesn't want to say "I stole people's poo poo because I wanted to make the most amount of money possible with the least amount of effort possible."

Are we sure he's not lying about being a marketing expert too, I thought marketing people were supposed to be good at convincing you of poo poo.

I also really don't see how memory issues result in you copy/pasting MULTIPLE other people's work into your script document, breaking them up so you have the bits you want near each other. It's not a jumping off point if you're doing decoupage with other people's work. Plus his rewriting just consisted of doing a find/replace for LGBT with queer or the other way around, whatever the gently caress he did, so even if he remembered to do it it would still be clearly identifiable.

If he just said "I wanted to be famous and I did it off other people's backs and that was wrong, I'm sorry" then he might have got some traction. Instead we had a written statement where he claimed to be under attack, a video that got deleted immediately where he threw his cowriter to the wolves, didn't apologise and reopened his patreon, and now this where he's monetised the apology and saying he did plagiarism because of brain damage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

getting the feeling people are putting more thought into somerton's excuse than he bothered to

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Runa posted:

getting the feeling people are putting more thought into somerton's excuse than he bothered to

Frankly, I don't think that's particularly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was speaking to someone and they made the point that anyone who has memory problems will actually attempt to get it fixed and/or make sure your actions won't hurt people or become debilitating, only acknowledging them now pretty much renders his "memory problems" pure bs