Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

I miss the Snickers spread so much

Really, it must have been found to cause all sorts of mega cancer. Why else kill such an amazing product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

It's so loving depressing seeing the amount of plastic bottles my in-laws use on any given day. I and my kids have been drinking the tapwater there without any trouble for a decade now but no sign of that changing their minds.

Probably a stupid question, but you don't have deposits on plastic bottles?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
No, deposits in Germany are made with big sturdy bottles in mind, and polish bottles are thin and crumbly

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We (Finland) seem to have a deposit on nearly all plastic bottles, even the flimsy ice tea half-litre ones. And half-litre juice concentrate bottles. But all soda and mineral water bottles have had deposits for ages. It's a neat system.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We don't have plastic bottle deposits either, do they actually achieved something, or are they a cynical facade like "plastic recycling"?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

We don't have plastic bottle deposits either, do they actually achieved something, or are they a cynical facade like "plastic recycling"?

Less trash.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

According to the organization in charge of the deposit system (link contents in Finnish), 97% of aluminum cans, 90% of plastic bottles and 92% of glass bottles in the system were returned to collection spots. I won't take a stance on what happens after they've been returned by the customers to the recycler, though.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Bright Bart posted:

My part of the country just now [you know what it is but don't say it outright I've doxxed myself enough talking about work and my publications] has excellent tap water. Stellar.

There was a campaign to get people to drink it instead of buying bottled water. And to ask for it in restaurants. The restaurants were enccouraged to put up signs in turn encouraging you to ask for tap water, and places like coffee shops and obiady domowe were asked to have pitchers and glasses out for self serving. They would get tax incentives to make up for revenue lost on selling bottled still water.

The result? I have no clue. But at least a few people got turned off government water. They were suspicious. If it's fine than why are you spending so much convincing me it's fine?

My wife, lifelong warszawian, refuses to drink tap water unless it's been boiled or run through a filter. It makes no sense!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Poland is on the way to establishing a system based on Germany’s plastics policy. Sejm passed the regulation last summer, so it should begin to roll out soon. A plastic bottle below 3l will have a return surcharge of 50 gr. added. Apparently Lidl has some machines in place and some cities, like Warsaw, are also investing in them.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

My wife, lifelong warszawian, refuses to drink tap water unless it's been boiled or run through a filter. It makes no sense!

That’s crazy, I am a Warszawiakwianin born and raided and we’ve been told all my life Warsaw’s water is some of the cleanest because of Lindley’s waterworks.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 27, 2024

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If we're talking about Patek it should be mentioned how embarassed Stern twats are that the company they bought almost 100 years ago bears a dirty Slav name:

https://www.patek.com/en/company/the-manufacture#patek-philippe-key-points
"Patek Philippe has been pursuing traditional Genevan watchmaking artistry without interruption since 1839. The manufacture benefits from full creative freedom, which allows it to design, develop, and craft watches that connoisseurs consider to be the world's finest – as pledged by its founders Antoine Norbert de Patek and Adrien Philippe. In addition to exceptional skills, Patek Philippe also nurtures a tradition of innovation that has meanwhile been crowned by over one hundred patents."

I remember when local watch forum that is really into Swiss stuff wanted to maybe invite them to celebrate some kind of important date in Antoni Norbert Patek's life and they completely ignored it. Antoni was such a cool dude, had to GTFO from Poland after unsuccessful anti-Tzarist uprising, which didn't stop him from peddling his shiny wares to Tzar and Moscow elite.
Should be called "Stern and Sons" if they weren't cowards. gently caress them and their boring, overpriced baubles.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Only slightly related, our top chef Wojciech Modest Amaro’s real name is Wojtek Basiura. He was so ashamed of his turbo-Polsih surname, he took his wife’s name and kept it after divorce. His kids are also Amaros and gently caress no, their first name are not Polish either.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

alex314 posted:

If we're talking about Patek it should be mentioned how embarassed Stern twats are that the company they bought almost 100 years ago bears a dirty Slav name:

https://www.patek.com/en/company/the-manufacture#patek-philippe-key-points
"Patek Philippe has been pursuing traditional Genevan watchmaking artistry without interruption since 1839. The manufacture benefits from full creative freedom, which allows it to design, develop, and craft watches that connoisseurs consider to be the world's finest – as pledged by its founders Antoine Norbert de Patek and Adrien Philippe. In addition to exceptional skills, Patek Philippe also nurtures a tradition of innovation that has meanwhile been crowned by over one hundred patents."

I remember when local watch forum that is really into Swiss stuff wanted to maybe invite them to celebrate some kind of important date in Antoni Norbert Patek's life and they completely ignored it. Antoni was such a cool dude, had to GTFO from Poland after unsuccessful anti-Tzarist uprising, which didn't stop him from peddling his shiny wares to Tzar and Moscow elite.
Should be called "Stern and Sons" if they weren't cowards. gently caress them and their boring, overpriced baubles.

drat... as of now I am boycotting Patek Philippe, and refusing to purchase their products

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I would never boycott pátek, only pondělí-čtvrtek

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
That's messed up about Patek Philippe.

I'm a little surprised since I visited their official museum and about half of it was about Patek's interesting life before watchmaking. *The* focal point display isn't even a watch but his collection of gold plates showing the history of Poland. They put it front and centre where he was from and what his real name was.

That was like 15 years ago. Is it just that German-Swiss folks get more disdainful of the slav the richer and more geriatric they get?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 27, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokotow posted:

That’s crazy, I am a Warszawiakwianin born and raided and we’ve been told all my life Warsaw’s water is some of the cleanest because of Lindley’s waterworks.

I remember the days when rust colored water wasn’t uncommon. Early 90s Mokotów.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That's true, but I always associated it with the lovely Ursynow wielka plyta piping.

gently caress it, nothing we know is true it turns out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, we'd get rusty water from time to time whenever some pipe decided to give up the ghost, but that didn't influence the generally very good quality of water outside of those incidents.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

One day I'm going to be rich. Then I won't have to run out and grab things at the dirty, exploitative Żabka on the corner.

I'll do my last minute shopping at the clean, high-ceilinged exploitative Żabka in the nice part of town.

Mokotow posted:

That's true, but I always associated it with the lovely Ursynow wielka plyta piping.

gently caress it, nothing we know is true it turns out.

Yeah it has been nothing but head explosion across the board the past few pages.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Idk, I lived all over Warsaw (Mokotów, Sadyba, Jelonki, Ochota, Muranów) and spent a good chunk of time in various adjoining towns (Piaseczno, Piastów, Otwock) and I have constantly found the water to be quite hard. Try buying a glassed electric kettle and see how much poo poo gets stuck on it in half a year's time.

Having said that, this is my only complaint against local tapwater (along with being uneasy at just how terribly rusty it gets every single time they stop the flow for an hour or so) and it is perfectly solvable with a filter.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Bottled water is cringe, but then again I do miss Muszynianka sometimes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Agreed it's hard as gently caress. I don't remember Mokotow being so bad (teehee) but in Srodmiescie I have to regularly take a chisel to the showerhead to lop off calc buildup. Or dippping armature in lemon aicd.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uhh, Google Translate says Żabka means basically what my brain was guessing it does --- why would someone name a grocery store that?

--- asked by a person living in a country with a grocery chain named Piggly-Wiggly (not that I ever lived in an area with one)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Polish tap water I think is hard all over. Actually just all the water sources of drinking water.

But in the nicer sources it's testy and certainly not unhealthy in those amounts minerals of a wide variety.

Back in Canada some of the high content minerał water was from Poland. Supposed to be healthier for you but yeah no the little tiny amount of magnesium won't correct a definit or function as a supplement.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Hard water tastes much better and is more pleasant to drink.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

OddObserver posted:

Uhh, Google Translate says Żabka means basically what my brain was guessing it does --- why would someone name a grocery store that?

--- asked by a person living in a country with a grocery chain named Piggly-Wiggly (not that I ever lived in an area with one)

Biedronka set the precedent

I miss the old logo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hard Water. Hard Men.
Hard Republic. Hard Core.

Seriously though, hard water is better than very soft water.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah, at making me scrape limescale off every surface

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

goblin week posted:

Yeah, at making me scrape limescale off every surface

Turn that hard water into hard tea!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

OddObserver posted:

imagine cyberpunk 2077 but instead of Arasaka and Miltech two biggest megacorps are called Froggy and Ladybug.

On the other hand, we have convenience store chain called Leviathan, which is even more funny.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Question for the thread: does this man look like he knows his goulash?

To me, he looks like a man who knows how to use paprika.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Question for the thread: does this man look like he knows his goulash?

To me, he looks like a man who knows how to use paprika.

More countries should make their most stereotypical looking citizen the president.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's a man with a collection of cavalry sabres

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

He's seen the ugly face of war but there were no tanks or helicopters or even machine guns involved

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Certainly a guy who enjoys a hot oily lángos while taking a dip in a hot spring

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

oily lángos

I sometimes wonder if the Hungarian dishes and snacks here are abominations (like 'Mexican' food in the northern US and Canada) that would make a true Magyar cry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's been ages since I've seen a langos stand, smdh

Nowadays everybody sells stupid bullshit like funnel cake, I guess an oil-saturated sheet of dough topped with its own weight in garlic suddenly isn't fancy enough

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 28, 2024

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Funny, the Belgian frites stand on my way to work added a sign for 3 kinds of langos just yesterday.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Nowadays everybody sells stupid bullshit like funnel cake, I guess an oil-saturated sheet of dough topped with its own weight in garlic suddenly isn't fancy enough
When was a last time you've been to a festival or another large event?

Although the "big thing" nowadays seem to be :fivecbux: trdelniks, fries, and other overpriced garbage.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's certainly not progressive and this kind of joke wouldn't pass the editor for near any other ethnicity. (Poles like Czechs and Lithuanians are far too white for making fun of them with stereotypes to be considered punching down, while at the same time those stereotypes are the same ones the most privelleged white people have of other groups being less intelligent, less educated, monolingual, greedier and lazier but at the same time somehow more 'real', handy and family oriented).) But I guess we all do know this guy he very much exists:

https://www.theonion.com/polish-man-that-landlord-sent-over-smashes-hammer-throu-1851285768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

My friends who are refugees from Hungary made us authentic langos the last time we were over.
If I didn't know how bad working in an food industry was, I'd turn that langos into pure money.