Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Some people were going bugfuck insane over the aleged "fridging" of a character.

This happened at least two times, maybe three times IIRC.

The shipping wars made the writers very reluctant to have their lead character commit romantically to any other character in later seasons, it's very funny once you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

oh jay posted:

If you don't think the transition from space Lord of the Flies to humanity pleading their case to a celestial god that had previously crysalized a civiliation of 40 foot giants isn't "super weird" or "bugfuck insane", I don't know what to tell you.

Wow, I’m surprised it went from generic CW show #522 to that.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Vince Staples show done with. Liked it. It's only five short episodes and I couldn't make it through the first two because they were super cringe for me at times. Maybe that was the point. But the latter three are B+/A- television and the finale flirts with an A.

Not sure if it's like Atlanta (or like someone suggested Dave) or anything else. It radically switches up how absurd the people, scenarios, and action scenes are. Kind of like Atlanta there I guess.

Low Point: The repeated joke that nobody knows who Vince is, and the few who recognize him want him to listen to their demo or give them money

High Point: I maybe shouldn't have laughed at all at this given my lack of melanin, but I cackled at the absurdity of an older man walking away from an explosive fight muttering 'I don't understand it... I just don't understand it... Why? Why are we black?' Also everyone pretending that his nurse gf is basically white when she's not even that light skinned.

It's kind of odd that people are out to get him for things like childhood grievances or living on the wrong side of town, when Vince Staples was (is?) a known Crip and claims the set in his music. You'd think there'd be a whole lot more about that. But maybe it's too much of a serious downer if someone were after him because his loc cuz shot up their cousin's house, as opposed to something like him having the wrong colour sneakers or they think he stole their chicken recipe.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 26, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1762185395385590138

It's rare to know about a generation-defining cultural watershed moment this far in advance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone watch the new Walking Dead show? Don't want spoilers but wondering it's the same ol' poo poo

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

GreenNight posted:

Anyone watch the new Walking Dead show? Don't want spoilers but wondering it's the same ol' poo poo

First episode was pretty good. Wasn't the same old poo poo, but the next one probably will be.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Right on, cheers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You were right, good episode. Glad Rick was finally able to drop f-bombs

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

GreenNight posted:

You were right, good episode. Glad Rick was finally able to drop f-bombs

and cut his hand off

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The fact that the Gentlemen got a netflix show is so weird. It's one of Ritchie's most forgettable movies (not as bad as Revolver and not as great as Snatch) and it seems to focus on the least interesting part of the movie (a member of the nobility growing weed).

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Why the gently caress is Death and Other Details 10 episodes long? Jesus, please put me out of my misery.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ninurta posted:

Why the gently caress is Death and Other Details 10 episodes long? Jesus, please put me out of my misery.

I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes and was putting off checking out the third till this weekend because I straight up assumed it was like a 3 episode mini-series :psyduck:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it's the kind of show where you can just watch the last 5 minutes and get all the new info in one go. Especially since each episode opens with a "previously on."

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Alhazred posted:

The fact that the Gentlemen got a netflix show is so weird. It's one of Ritchie's most forgettable movies (not as bad as Revolver and not as great as Snatch) and it seems to focus on the least interesting part of the movie (a member of the nobility growing weed).

I was kind of surprised to hear that Sexy Beast got a show. I meam the movie was well enough recieved but that was mostly for the acting. I don't even remember that film very well except that there was at least one pool scene.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 27, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bright Bart posted:

I was kind of surprised to hear that Sexy Beast got a show.

What the gently caress? :stare:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It's pretty good too. Set in the 90's when they are robbers.

The guy who plays Ben Kingsley's character is loving unhinged.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw poo poo, I forgot all about that, probably too late to 'locate' eps from my usual supplier now. Would have liked to see what kind of carnage a young Don could cause.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw poo poo, I forgot all about that, probably too late to 'locate' eps from my usual supplier now. Would have liked to see what kind of carnage a young Don could cause.

To late? it's still airing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

First two episodes of Shogun were excellent. I wonder what the budget was because they did not skimp on costs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I unironically like Revolver simply because of how weird it is.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

D-Pad posted:

First two episodes of Shogun were excellent. I wonder what the budget was because they did not skimp on costs.

I'm loving it. I've been watching a lot of Samurai movies this year so this is a treat

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Loving the hot hot translator on translator action in Shogun. I'm here for the catholic on protestant beefing in the most overproduced of dialogue scenes ever put to TV. It's a virtual free-for-all of expensive sets and costuming.

Oh and I guess the samurai are cool too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I tried my idea of only watching the last 5 minutes of Death and Other Details and it works, but still feels like they're dragging things out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good news: Sara Ramirez fired from And Just Like That (for those who didn't watch, Ramirez played a character named Che Diaz who was maybe the absolute worst TV character of the past decade)

Bad news: it was apparently because Ramirez voiced support for Palestine

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Apparently SHOGUN is reviewing very very very well.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762546020351676511

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, I thought Shogun was starting tonight but there's already two episodes out? :woop:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hmm, an FX Hulu show? They haven't steered me wrong yet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It was a bold move to make the entire book a single 10 episode series. They must have the rights to the rest of the Asian Saga otherwise this is a massive expense for nothing to follow through with.

Since the rest of the novels are centered around the same entity, the Noble Merchant House of Struan's, doing the series in chronological order means they could easily reuse the same cast for the descendants of the characters. Tai-Pan is Opium War era Hong Kong, Gai Jin based on the Satsuma War and links Shogun to Tai-Pan, and then Noble House for the "modern" Hong Kong.

King Rat was only 400 pages (his later novels are 1100+pages) and might not work as well being a bleak and brutal POW camp story. Whirlwind could be the Iranian equivalent of Shogun if they want to really spend the money to pull it off.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The first episode of Shogun was good.

The first season of Halo was not. They never got to the fireworks factory. So, on to season 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just watched the first episode of Shogun. Not a huge surprise why it is getting rave reviews but what really blew my mind was that Rodrigues was played by Nestor Carbonell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

what really blew my mind was that Rodrigues was played by Nestor Carbonell.

Holy poo poo :stare:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
He's super charming for a conquistador

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this Shōgun show slaps, can’t wait to get obsessed with it GoT-Style

Watching this after True Detective S4 is loving staggering. It’s not even fair to compare them really

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shogun is really surprisingly good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shogun is fantastic, and though I'm sure it's absolutely stuffed full of CGI I think this is the first big budget show I've watched in awhile that doesn't have an overly "digital" look that makes everything look off and kinda fake.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

Shogun is fantastic, and though I'm sure it's absolutely stuffed full of CGI I think this is the first big budget show I've watched in awhile that doesn't have an overly "digital" look that makes everything look off and kinda fake.

They built some crazy accurate sets and filmed most of it in part of BC because it looks a lot like Japan, so they had a lot to work with

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The original miniseries did insane numbers, Americans love feudal Japan

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

The original miniseries did insane numbers, Americans love feudal Japan

https://x.com/ExileGrimm/status/1762687197851849163?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I laughed when I saw Shogun and clicked the read more link and it was of course about Europeans showing up. I'll check it out after the positive reception here but I initially wrote it off as probably more The Last Samurai type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clavell based his book on this guy