Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

They're not. They gave the kid a toy designed to be more durable that happens to be for a dog. They didn't put their food in a bowl on the floor and make them poo outside.

Toddlers will eat from the floor and poo poo on the grass all by themselves, you don't even need to encourage them to do that. Toddlers are feral, more so than most adult dogs.

(I'm trying to train my nephew to wipe his feet/take off his shoes when he comes in, and the neighbours West Highland Terrier has learned how to do so quicker than the child, it's a little disheartening.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
We’ve tried a few squeaky dog toys for our kids because they saw them in a store and needed to be spoiled. They were a hit but the main problem was that they dried out and started crumbling pretty quick, I guess they are designed to be constantly rehydrated by dog drool…

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

FMguru posted:

OP thought he had "won", but no, it turns out his brothers were playing the long game (by not even playing the game at all).

Ezra's new babymaking wife has got the juice. OP is gonna have to get with her to salvage the situation.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hughlander posted:

I've just discovered that my (M29)'s girlfriend (F27)'s family is putting me down in front of her (and me). Can I ever rebuild the trust?

UPDATE: I've just discovered that my (M29)'s girlfriend (F27)'s family is putting me down in front of her (and me). Can I ever rebuild the trust?

I love language posts like this. There's been a bunch over the years and it's always this same script and it never gets old. Not sure why the gf here didn't make any fuss though, maybe she agreed with her family?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I love language posts like this. There's been a bunch over the years and it's always this same script and it never gets old. Not sure why the gf here didn't make any fuss though, maybe she agreed with her family?

Most likely just afraid of confrontations, especially if it's one person versus the whole family.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Learning a language in secret to surprise someone is so stupid. I almost feel like it's an invasion of privacy.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for thinking my sister was joking about her daughter's name?

quote:

When my sister was pregnant with my niece she told me they had decided on a baby name. She didn't want to share the name and told me she was worried they would change their minds because they struggled to agree on one. Then when she was about 7 or 8 months pregnant she told me they had changed the name after she heard the name Cuntley on TikTok. I thought for sure she was joking. She said her name would fit in so nicely with her cousins names (my kids) who are Meadow and Callum. I assumed she meant the real name would and was like oh okay in my head. But again, I 100% believed she was joking and had simply said that because she found the name ridiculous.

When it continued after my niece was born 2 months ago I started to wonder. But I assumed maybe they had changed their minds and were undecided on the actual name.

It was my brother who spoke up and asked what was our nieces name for real. Our sister was like it's Cuntley, how many times do you guys need to be told the name. He was like yeah, we know you played that for a joke, but we want to start using her actual name. She asked me if I felt the same and I was like yes. She told us we were both assholes and that she continued saying Cuntley because that is her daughter's actual name. She said she thought about it a lot after seeing the TikTok and she talked her husband around.

I was shocked, like really, and she told me I had no room to think she was joking when my daughter is Meadow. I told her the names are very different and she told me at least she never assumed I was joking.

AITA?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
17 year old nephew charged with assault and theft over $5000. Is also being sued in civil court.

quote:

To everyone who reads this: I know my nephew did something horrible and is a massive [insert expletive of your choice here]. I’m NOT defending or condoning his actions. I agree wholeheartedly that he needs to be punished and I am not seeking to stop that from happening. I’m simply here to ask what the possible outcomes of his case could be.

My nephew just turned 17. He has been charged with one count of assault and one count of theft over $5000. It stems from an incident that happened at school. Him and 2 of his friends had the “brilliant” idea to play a prank and steal a classmates prosthetic leg. They ambushed her and took her leg. Again please see my disclaimer above…not defending him…think he’s a jerk…just here to ask legal questions. They proceeded to take dumb pictures with their phones (example: one foot in the grave) and to make some stupid internet memes. He says they were going to return the leg. Meanwhile the girl whose leg they took was understandably crying and freaking out and she called the police. The police tracked down my nephew and his friends and arrested them. All three of them have been charged as above. He’s out on bail with strict conditions. The Crown prosecutor refuses to offer them any kind of deal or plea bargain and has stated that the Crown will seek an adult sentence if they are convicted. Both of the offences are indictable under the Criminal Code. None of them have criminal records or have been arrested or in trouble before. My nephew has always been a prankster/jokester but he has never done anything this stupid or wrong. The Crown has surveillance footage from the school cameras, the dumb pictures they took and a text conversation where the three of them talked about doing it. There has also been a lawsuit filed for the assault, emotional damage and the cost of the damage that was done to the leg.

My brother and his wife can’t afford a lawyer for the lawsuit, for criminal court my nephew has a court appointed attorney but that doesn’t happen in civil court. The parents of the other 2 boys also cannot afford a lawyer either according to my brother. His court appointed lawyer is swamped and is very hard to reach. My questions are 1) I know he is likely to be convicted, but if he is sentenced as an adult, what is the likely penalty vs. if he was sentenced as a youth? 2) What are the chances he will be sentenced as an adult? 3) Is there any way they can get legal aid for the civil case like in criminal court? They live in Ontario.

quote:

The Crown has mentioned aggravating factors:

1) All 3 of them are over 6 feet tall. She was 5'2 and they tackled her to the ground and held her down while they took her leg.
2) That they ran away right after to go play with the leg and left her crying and bleeding on the floor. She needed stitches and was bruised.
3) That although they say they were going to return the leg, when they found out the police were coming they ditched the leg and caused $3000 damage to it meaning she had to use crutches to be mobile for a week while it was repaired (and which her parents had to get a loan for)

I have a feeling these aggravating factors are going to make things much, much worse for them.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

This is Terry Fox territory, punks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gonna have to go with boys will be boys here. She should apologize for getting some good boys in trouble and not having a sense of humor about a little prank. I guess they didn't really mean to hurt her or damage her wooden leg, so they shouldn't feel bad.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cythereal posted:

17 year old nephew charged with assault and theft over $5000. Is also being sued in civil court.

Jesus loving christ.

Just thank your lucky stars that this happened in Canada, and not like Alabama or some poo poo.

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Cythereal posted:

This is an easy one. Gotta take the kid to get some hard-rear end tattoos so he'll be well set up for prison. I'm thinking a neck tattoo in old English font reading 'Cripplekicker' or something. Best if you can get it done before the court date, since the kid might go straight to processing from there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cythereal posted:

A hundred lashes in the city center. Each. And then a week in stocks for people to pelt the three monsters with dog poo poo. And then jail time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr Teatime posted:

Mom just pure raging because the kid won’t stop squeaking the squeaker. Get her a drum kit next time, dog drums if necessary.

* Writes down quickly * Heelys for dogs Drums for dogs

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

* Writes down quickly * Heelys for dogs Drums for dogs

Don't give the buskers any more ideas!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His punishment should be the crown takes his leg for a few hours

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

My nephew has always been a prankster/jokester but he has never done anything this stupid or wrong.
I'd like to hear some of the previous pranks/jokes of this nephew, because there's no way you get to teaming up to beat the poo poo out of a girl and abandoning her bleeding on the ground as part of a 'prank' unless you've already done a bunch of other shithead "pranks" (crimes) before getting to this point.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

His punishment should be the crown takes his leg for a few hours
:emptyquote:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

l m a o
who gives a poo poo that it was designed for dogs? The kid loves it, whether it will be a problem later is a problem for later.

have you seen how needy puppygirls are, I don't blame anyone for nipping that in the bud

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If he is getting sentenced as an adult in criminal court can his parents still have their stuff gone after in civil court? Seems like it would be contradictory. Either way they need to figure out how to afford a civil lawyer.

Little poo poo deserves everything he gets and then some.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Shanghaied posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Just thank your lucky stars that this happened in Canada, and not like Alabama or some poo poo.

Alabama: "Boys will be boys. She should have known better than to be in public with her prosthetic leg showing, like some kind of harlot. They're kind of heroes if you think about it that way. We should be thanking them for their service. Case dismissed."

I hope the kids get the book thrown at them.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

Jesus loving christ.

You think three memebers of the football/basketball/baseball team would be disciplined in Alabama for a harmless prank?

drat, too slow

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Unless the boys were black and the girl white, in which case you somehow get life with no parole in Alabama.

But no, I was speaking only in terms of the prison conditions, as prison time seems all but unavoidable at this point.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Shanghaied posted:

Mildew, Calcium and oval office. Somehow Im eager to find what other names the rest of this familytree has got to offer

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

She isn't gonna give a poo poo now, but the mom may be worried that her daughter will keep and cherish it for a number of years, and then find out her precious childhood keepsake is a toy made for animals at an age when she might be offended by that revelation.

That kid is going to chew through the toy before this can even become a thing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

She isn't gonna give a poo poo now, but the mom may be worried that her daughter will keep and cherish it for a number of years, and then find out her precious childhood keepsake is a toy made for animals at an age when she might be offended by that revelation.

Yeah, as a mature adult with a rational brain I would be apoplectic if I found out someone had given me a stuffed toy with a noisemaker inside it that was sold in the dog aisle instead of a stuffed toy with a noisemaker inside it that was sold in the baby aisle. Do they know how damaging it is to give babies toys that have paw print themed branding on the tag???

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Alchemist posted:

Mildew, Calcium and oval office. Somehow Im eager to find what other names the rest of this familytree has got to offer
Meadow and Callum are fine and totally not in the same ballpark as oval office(ley).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obagb7RQeYo

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

PetraCore posted:

Meadow and Callum are fine and totally not in the same ballpark as oval office(ley).

Meadow is some hippy poo poo, but okay, whatever. Callum is an actual name even if it's a little uncommon. Neither are in the same ballpark as Cuntley. Pnurtis would be a better name than Cuntley.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Shanghaied posted:

You can't name your kid that in Canada!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Chin Strap posted:

If he is getting sentenced as an adult in criminal court can his parents still have their stuff gone after in civil court? Seems like it would be contradictory. Either way they need to figure out how to afford a civil lawyer.

Little poo poo deserves everything he gets and then some.

Here in the US we JUST had a parent of a school shooter found guilty of manslaughter despite their son having been charged as an adult. The justice system frequently does not make sense when the situation gets crazy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

You can't name your kid that in Canada!
They should move to Australia

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Shanghaied posted:

Meadow is some hippy poo poo, but okay, whatever. Callum is an actual name even if it's a little uncommon. Neither are in the same ballpark as Cuntley. Pnurtis would be a better name than Cuntley.
Who cares if Meadow is hippy poo poo? A ton of names are literally just natural features and some of them go back a long long time. Rose, Heather, Daisy, etc. Names like Lake and Sky and Meadow might be going slightly off that beaten path, but just slightly, and they've also been around for decades by this point.

I do think it should be illegal to name your baby Cuntley though.

EDIT: My own personal pet peeve with nature names is when people do that but also spell them weird to be 'more unique', but that's just an extension of me hating the 'gently caress up the spelling as hard as possible for uniqueness' name thing.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 27, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

PetraCore posted:

Rose, Heather, Daisy, etc.

I mean, flowers are the reproductive organs of plants. :thunk: I guess maybe I'm turning around on the name Cuntley.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Shanghaied posted:

I mean, flowers are the reproductive organs of plants. :thunk: I guess maybe I'm turning around on the name Cuntley.
See, you've got to add a layer of metaphor to it, and then you get Rosalie, and that's fine.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

8mo. Update from the Super Un-Fuckable Husband

quote:

My real weight at time of post: 537 lbs

Hey remember that truism that everyone on reddit is fatter than you picture? Doubly so for r/swingers.

I just wanted to point out that according to his initial comments, this weight is after he already lost 170 pounds. So when they first started swinging, my man weighed over 700. I am impressed he was able to make it out of the house, let alone hit up swingers parties.

Also unrelated but the prosthetic leg story falls a little too close to just plain abuse/assault for my comfort.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
In which "AH" has a different meaning:

AITA for not removing sensitive books, and "making fun of my Sil's education"

quote:

I live with my fiance in a one bedroom apartment. It's quite small and we don't have an office. We have a bedroom, living room, bathroom and kitchen. Plus, a little balcony.

That means that our books stand in the bookshelves in the living room.

My fiance is a historian. A proper historian. He has a degree and works at university teaching classes. His field of expertise is Germany from 1930-1960. That obviously includes the most infamous person of that time and the book he wrote while imprisoned. We have those books ( it's two massive books that are heavily noted and contextualized historically, as you can not buy the thing as is anywhere. It also says so in the title) Besides that we don't have any "souvenirs" from that time. We have a lot of other books, articles, etc. laying around.

So on Friday we had my brother and his gf over. It got too late and we invited them to stay on our couch. The next morning, the GF was in a horrible mood, refused to talk to us, and made my brother leave after coffee.

Then, on Sunday, my brother calls me to "talk" and "confronts" me with the books they found. He said it was highly inappropriate. Those books don't belong in a household and that we needed to put them away when guest came over. I was just puzzled because my whole family knew what my fiance did.

He then said I owe his gf an apology, and he wanted me to show him how we deal with my fiances "issue.

I just told him this was all very ironic. And this is where I might be the AH.

I said that it was not my fault, his gf couldn't read. Because if she did, she would have read on the covers that it was a "critical view on the manuscript of___". That this fake outrageous was childish and that he could call me when both of them grew up.

Since then, my mother has been hounding me. But my father thinks this is hilarious.

AITA
Edit:

*I didn't write the title of the book as i didn't want the post to be removed

*AFAIK his GF is not belonging to a group directly victimized at that time.

*My brother knows what my fiance does

*My mother is not a narcissist

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

wheatpuppy posted:

Also unrelated but the prosthetic leg story falls a little too close to just plain abuse/assault for my comfort.

And is just inviting masturbatory "Tough on crime!" posts on an OP that seemingly was not trying to defend the actions but find out what they can expect and should do to advocate for the charged.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wheatpuppy posted:

I just wanted to point out that according to his initial comments, this weight is after he already lost 170 pounds. So when they first started swinging, my man weighed over 700. I am impressed he was able to make it out of the house, let alone hit up swingers parties.

700 is well into the area of not independently mobile, so I can only imagine the wife was going alone to swingers events and propositioning people on condition that they go back to the house and gently caress a gigantic bedridden ball of lard and then wondering why no one was following up on it

quote:

It's absolutely assault and and open-and-shut case of the son being absolutely and deservedly hosed for life

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Beat him to death with a prosthesis, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cuntley is kind of an insult-proof name if you think about it.

"You're such a oval office!"
"No, I'm Cuntley :smug:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)