Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 32 hours!)

there's even a world where you would miss posts like these

in the decrepit future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sunk Dunk posted:

This post is dedicated to xjakk

He already unbanned himself and bought a new avatar.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

My folks, in their early 70s, are after me to watch something together so I turn to you nerds for some rec's.
Framas and thrillers, no excessive gore and no sexuality. No horror. They can handle some language and the occasional scifi.

Last thing I screened for them was Sling Blade, which they loved, but that's a downer. They loved Arrival. They liked No Country but found it paced too slow. Doubly so for The Conversation. They don't really get the quirkiness of Coen Bros stuff.

Any ideas? I would thinking There Will Be Blood. Struggling to think of more middle-of-the-road dramas that are worth watching that won't offend old fogeys too much.

Ford vs. Ferrari for recentish movies, A New Leaf for older.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

roomtone posted:

well yeah but also i knew it would get quoted and somebody would be like 'the word pedo was said? WAAAAT? Chalemet???' DUNC?'

it was a buzzword post with opinions i actually have in it that get ignored cos

If you're going to use that word to describe anyone who is attracted to this 28 year old man, then everyone is going to dismiss you as just being edgy and looking to get a rise out of people. You got the kind of attention you deserved.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Frank Frank posted:

He already unbanned himself and bought a new avatar.

this is the story of a JAKK, posted a river and people talked smack

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

trilobite terror posted:

this is the story of a JAKK, posted a river and people talked smack

but tho he looked so bad in YouTube thumbnails, I absolutely love them

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
seeing a lot of self-destructive posting behavior lately. I know the loss of x jakk was hard on many of us, but if you find yourself wanting to lash out, I hope that you can try to remember the words of our favorite youtuber, Mr. Rogers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA&t=331s

quote:

What do you do with the mad that you feel?
When you feel so mad you could bite?
When the whole wide world seems oh so wrong
And nothing you do seems very right?

What do you do? Do you punch a bag?
Do you pound some clay or some dough?
Do you round up friends for a game of tag?
Or see how fast you go?

It’s great to be able to stop
When you’ve planned a thing that’s wrong,
And be able to do something else instead
And think this song:

I can stop when I want to
Can stop when I wish
I can stop, stop, stop any time.
And what a good feeling to feel like this
And know that the feeling is really mine.
Know that there’s something deep inside
That helps us become what we can.
For a girl can be someday a woman
And a boy can be someday a man.
:)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Trash posted:

I don’t think this thread can handle a puppetmaster atm can you come back later when we’re a little less frayed? After the next BotW maybe?

Refractory period trolling

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you're going to use that word to describe anyone who is attracted to this 28 year old man, then everyone is going to dismiss you as just being edgy and looking to get a rise out of people. You got the kind of attention you deserved.

Roomtones the poster who didn't understand that mixed race people existed, it had to be explained to them. So it could equally be genuine stupidity.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Hunt for Red October. There's a bit where Alec Baldwin's character needed to make fun of Sean Connery's very Russian character by doing an impression of him. Alec Baldwin does this in the thickest Scottish accent possible.

This is the greatest acting choice in history.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

My folks, in their early 70s, are after me to watch something together so I turn to you nerds for some rec's.
Framas and thrillers, no excessive gore and no sexuality. No horror. They can handle some language and the occasional scifi.

Last thing I screened for them was Sling Blade, which they loved, but that's a downer. They loved Arrival. They liked No Country but found it paced too slow. Doubly so for The Conversation. They don't really get the quirkiness of Coen Bros stuff.

Any ideas? I would thinking There Will Be Blood. Struggling to think of more middle-of-the-road dramas that are worth watching that won't offend old fogeys too much.

The Death Of Stalin is good and not excessively gory

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.
It was exactly the level of stupid, gory and goofy I was hoping for.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Pig

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Thanks for the non-troll recs. To the others, go get your fuckin shinebox.

Is Mystic River worth a watch? Enjoyed it way back when it came out

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Thanks for the non-troll recs. To the others, go get your fuckin shinebox.

But trolls 2 is streaming on vimeo!

https://vimeo.com/189434706

Just one click and you could be watching it!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

roomtone posted:

yeah simple words of what is going on in society do tend to be really unpalatable

drat this guy is smart!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

tenet is back in theaters from last week till wednesday. remember tenet? chris nolan sure hopes so

I'm the one fan of TENET. Partly because I'm a sucker for him coming up with a great justification for why the bad future people are doing what they're doing. I also watched it at home with headphones so the sound issues didn't manifest for me. I don't believe for a second he spent a decade on the script or whatever he claimed because most of the criticisms of it are accurate and could've been fixed with another pass over the script.

I'm rewatching re:View and it's funny that Mike's idea for how he would've preferred The Blair Witch Project to go is pretty much the twist of The Last Broadcast.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Kingo Ligma posted:

Hunt for Red October. There's a bit where Alec Baldwin's character needed to make fun of Sean Connery's very Russian character by doing an impression of him. Alec Baldwin does this in the thickest Scottish accent possible.

This is the greatest acting choice in history.

"Uh lhot of thingsh in heayah don't react wull to bulletsh."

I still quote this to myself randomly, sometimes.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

roomtone posted:

i suppose if i was a pedo

oj simpson posting style

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The Death Of Stalin is good and not excessively gory

Worth it even if I find Iannucci joints to be drivel?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

dr_rat posted:

But trolls 2 is streaming on vimeo!

https://vimeo.com/189434706

Just one click and you could be watching it!

Is she wearing a lifting belt to bench 20 pounds?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Gripweed posted:

Is she wearing a lifting belt to bench 20 pounds?

it's called 'being grounded in reality'

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

drat this guy is smart!

I'm worried what'll happen next, now that we played directly into his plan. Just like Christopher Nolan's Bane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czrlr3dw2x3o

I can't stop laughing at this AI generated Gene Wilder homonculus or the story behind it. 40 bucks for the dashcon ball pit but it's Willy's Wonkaland.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Promise candy, lure 'em to a warehouse, rob 'em - the ol' MC Pee Pants scam

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

Mr. Meagles posted:

Promise candy, lure 'em to a warehouse, rob 'em - the ol' MC Pee Pants scam

I'd believe this version of Wonka plans to build a giant drill, which he'll use to bore down to hell and make the demons be his new diet pills salesmen.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Oompa Loompa doopa dee dethlab

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If anyone is looking for an extremely smart, well-made show I strongly recommend checking out The New Look on AppleTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN5Ws7LxkA

The trailer makes it appear to be a lot more about post-war fashion, and it seems as though that will come in the last two episodes that have yet to air. The first four are focused primarily on the characters during (and immediately after) the occupation of Paris. If this had aired on HBO around the time The Sopranos was running, it would be considered one of the greats of the Golden Era of Television. Now it's just an amazing show that no one is noticing because it is lost in the never-ending flood of content.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love when people involved in the movies find their Best of the Worst episodes and comment on them. It’s fun to hear about the behind the scenes poo poo

quote:

I played the witch in this "movie". Trust me when I say the cast had NO idea what was being filmed! It was a nightmare! We would question Rob Roy about something and his answer would always be "I can fix it in post". What the f*** did we know, right!? It started as doing a small favor (friend of a friend) but Roy just kept wanting to film. Cast started realizing this guy had no clue, and started refusing to show. To date, we all still have huge laughs about the experience, going as far as having a Halloween party where everyone came as their favorite Lycan Colony character!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

I love when people involved in the movies find their Best of the Worst episodes and comment on them. It’s fun to hear about the behind the scenes poo poo

Lycan Colony really is a gem

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The Borg stopped being interesting the moment they introduced the queen. Wtg guys, you missed the entire point.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Presto posted:

The Borg stopped being interesting the moment they introduced the queen. Wtg guys, you missed the entire point.

:wrong: they became sexy

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I will forever be traumatised by the Borg queen giving Data an orgasm.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm the one fan of TENET. Partly because I'm a sucker for him coming up with a great justification for why the bad future people are doing what they're doing. I also watched it at home with headphones so the sound issues didn't manifest for me. I don't believe for a second he spent a decade on the script or whatever he claimed because most of the criticisms of it are accurate and could've been fixed with another pass over the script.

I'm rewatching re:View and it's funny that Mike's idea for how he would've preferred The Blair Witch Project to go is pretty much the twist of The Last Broadcast.

No no, there are Dozens of us! It's an entertaining and well shot spy movie. At home. With the subtitles on.

https://defector.com/i-cant-stop-watching-tenet-and-i-finally-know-why

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WunderYou
Feb 27, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czrlr3dw2x3o

I can't stop laughing at this AI generated Gene Wilder homonculus or the story behind it. 40 bucks for the dashcon ball pit but it's Willy's Wonkaland.

This clearly wasn't organized by TRUE Wonkaheads.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LanceHunter posted:

If anyone is looking for an extremely smart, well-made show I strongly recommend checking out The New Look on AppleTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN5Ws7LxkA

The trailer makes it appear to be a lot more about post-war fashion, and it seems as though that will come in the last two episodes that have yet to air. The first four are focused primarily on the characters during (and immediately after) the occupation of Paris. If this had aired on HBO around the time The Sopranos was running, it would be considered one of the greats of the Golden Era of Television. Now it's just an amazing show that no one is noticing because it is lost in the never-ending flood of content.

Nice I will check this out. AppleTV+ has quietly racked up an impressive hit/miss ratio. I’m a bit concerned with reports of the budget for Foundation getting slashed though, I dig it.

Also I was going to check out “constellation” and “criminal record” on ATV+.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

This clearly wasn't organized by TRUE Wonkaheads.
the gold standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

WeaponX posted:

Lycan Colony really is a gem

https://a.co/d/7loDZ6A

There’s a company that releases poo poo like this on bluray. The world is good.

Edit: https://a.co/d/cRbSoHL

Oh my