Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dango Bango posted:

Some excitement last night. A rear-end accident happened in the lane right next to me. Only this was either some road rage situation or something more than just an accident. I'm pretty sure it was a brake check.

All four people in the rear-ended car immediately got out and started walking toward the car that hit them. I didn't see any weapons but I also wasn't going to stick around to find out. Plus, the at-fault car swerved into oncoming traffic to get away, then floors it ahead of me. I get their license plate (a first responder plate :rolleyes:). Then they swerve onto a side street, then I'm pretty sure back in the other direction. Wild.

Sounds like that was squarely in "not my problem" territory. Had something similar happen recently and my wife was like are you going to stop and help and I was like "nope". If its something bigger or I feel I can help someone, sure. But I am not inserting myself into that nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I'm at Sheetz getting coffee and a breakfast sandwhich and the kitchen crew is blasting the theme from Neverending Story so I think we can close the book on Sheetz vs. Wawa now.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

swickles posted:

I'm at Sheetz getting coffee and a breakfast sandwhich and the kitchen crew is blasting the theme from Neverending Story so I think we can close the book on Sheetz vs. Wawa now.

Yeah wake me up when WaWa has a quiz show like no other.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

swickles posted:

Sounds like that was squarely in "not my problem" territory. Had something similar happen recently and my wife was like are you going to stop and help and I was like "nope". If its something bigger or I feel I can help someone, sure. But I am not inserting myself into that nonsense.

Yeah once everyone got out aggressively, my "do I need to stay as a witness for this?" went to HELL NO. When the other car tried to get away, I figured I could get the license plate and call that in. Funny to hear the dispatcher's response when I told her it was a blue lives matter plate. And her being absolutely confused when I gave permission for contact/follow-up but said I didn't want any personal information listed in any reports.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

swickles posted:

You can't add mozz sticks on top of a sandwich at Wawa so frankly I don't see how it's even a competition

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

… Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1762441724969070717

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1762089580851855412

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm pretty sure I've been to Wawa on one of the two trips I took back east to see family as a kid but don't remember. On the first of those trips one of my cousins slammed a car door on my arm and according to family legend we never got a bill for the er visit because the nurses wouldn't listen to my grandparents. They'd just started the guardianship process so the billing should have gone to them but it never did, allegedly.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea being unemployed is great. Until you need money.

Trying not to think about that part too much!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kalli posted:

… Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1762441724969070717

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1762089580851855412

:lmao: saw a still image of that on a friend's IG story and immediately recognized it as a bad Wonka knockoff.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fridgechat: In California rental units don't come with fridges. You tote yours around from place to place.

I bought a Kenmore in Nov of 2001 (presumably an Amana with Sears' branding on it) and it's been bulletproof and we still have it.

Surge Pricing on Dogshit Fast Foodchat: I order on the apps and rarely care about the pricing when I need/want food, but it's $16 for a "Regular normal sized saltburger w/cheese + medium fries + medium drink" on regular pricing at the store, which requires me to drive somewhere and wait in line for however long it takes. For $22 I can have equal or larger amounts of actual human-edible food brought to my house. Wendy's will 100% be out of business in 3 years if they follow through with this idiocy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How do we feel about French door refrigerators? Girlfriend has one; the wide space in the fridge is nice, but I think having your freezer just be a big lovely overstuffed drawer isn't a good trade.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like that freezer drawers are more energy efficient but yeah I am with you that I like big freezers. Don’t really get that with the drawers.

I work all the time and I’m busy. Freezer food supremacy!!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm sure that in terms of cubic feet the drawer is about the same as a more conventionally configured freezer (especially since it doesn't include the ice maker), but have fun rummaging through there for the leftover hamburger buns you put in there three months ago, or having it catch on a Red Baron pizza box every time you try to open the thing.

Anyway, she has a standalone freezer in the laundry room now so I don't really have to worry about it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 27, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I accidentally bought a 12 pack of Dr Pepper Zero the other day when trying to buy regular Dr Pepper, and as it's been probably 20 years since I had a drink of any diet soda as I've always hated the taste of Saccharin.

What the hell magic are they using to make this poo poo taste so good? I assume whatever is in this instead of sugar will give me Tripledeep Fullbody Bone Cancer in 5 years, but I can't see ever drinking a regular can of soda again if this is how the "Zero" versions taste now. Cherry Coke Zero and A&W Root Beer Zero are also astonishingly close to the real deal. Not having caffeine in them is even better, I can drink a couple beers and then switch to a couple of these instead for latenight TV viewing beverages.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been rocking a side-by-side unit for years and ifwhen I replace it I'll probably get a French door/freezer drawer combo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I accidentally bought a 12 pack of Dr Pepper Zero the other day when trying to buy regular Dr Pepper, and as it's been probably 20 years since I had a drink of any diet soda as I've always hated the taste of Saccharin.

What the hell magic are they using to make this poo poo taste so good? I assume whatever is in this instead of sugar will give me Tripledeep Fullbody Bone Cancer in 5 years, but I can't see ever drinking a regular can of soda again if this is how the "Zero" versions taste now. Cherry Coke Zero and A&W Root Beer Zero are also astonishingly close to the real deal. Not having caffeine in them is even better, I can drink a couple beers and then switch to a couple of these instead for latenight TV viewing beverages.

The zero are indeed quite good (rule of thumb is that the sweeter the soda is in general, the closer the diet/zero-cal version will taste). They generally have the same caffeine content as the normal version though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
LOL. So they do. Apparently caffeine has no impact on my ability to sleep.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I got a Haier (cosplaying as GE) bottom drawer French door fridge last year. All the water internals are inside the fridge so no cold parts exposed to warm. Solid fridge so far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Fridgechat: In California rental units don't come with fridges. You tote yours around from place to place.

I bought a Kenmore in Nov of 2001 (presumably an Amana with Sears' branding on it) and it's been bulletproof and we still have it.

I lived in multiple different apartments in California and all of them had fridges.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Guess it's an LA thing.
https://www.latimes.com/homeless-housing/story/2022-05-18/fridge-los-angeles-apartment-tenants

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Air Skwirl posted:

I lived in multiple different apartments in California and all of them had fridges.

I would be surprised if most people have ever bought a fridge unless you own a house long enough for the fridge to break. Outside of LA being weird apparently, whether renting or buying most appliances seem to get left behind.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you like Sunkist and Baha Blast you should give their zero versions a try too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pain of Mind posted:

I would be surprised if most people have ever bought a fridge unless you own a house long enough for the fridge to break. Outside of LA being weird apparently, whether renting or buying most appliances seem to get left behind.

Can confirm that I have never bought a fridge, though we're probably staring down needing to purchase one sometime this year so thanks y'all for the discussion on the last few pages.

PO of our house left a mini-fridge behind when we bought the place, that was pretty handy to have when the kid was born and we had to keep a bunch of stuff chilled and/or frozen specifically for him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

How do we feel about French door refrigerators? Girlfriend has one; the wide space in the fridge is nice, but I think having your freezer just be a big lovely overstuffed drawer isn't a good trade.

There are a couple models out there with four french doors, so the bottom freezer doors are frenched. Samsung also makes on where one of the bottom doors is a flex zone, it can easily be shifted from freezer to fridge, which is great for a lot of reasons.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

General Dog posted:

It's what I have now and I loved it until I started having ice over issues, which I don't think is something with all French door fridges, just my crappy Samsung one. The hard part these days is that if you want more space, you almost have to get a French door fridge. I thought about going back to the classic freezer on top, fridge on the bottom sytle, and they're all a good 10-15% smaller than the fridge I have now.

We don't want a side-by-side fridge because my wife sometimes will still a whole sheet pan in the freezer to freeze something, and that is too big to fit in that style freezer.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We’ve had French-door bottom freezer drawer in counter depth models for the past decade and love them. We’ve stuck to inside water dispensers with ice makers in the drawer because in-fridge door ice maker and dispenser has like twenty points of failure.

Admittedly we don’t need big freezer space but honestly I don’t feel like the freezer is smaller than traditional fridges I’ve had in rentals—it’s probably still bigger. And side by side fridges have weird dimensional space constraints.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The freezer drawer is basically a mini chest freezer, it’s trivial to work with

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

The freezer drawer is basically a mini chest freezer, it’s trivial to work with

Yeah I like ours. Prob not the most efficient use of space but short of an actual dedicated freezer there are always drawbacks.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ether Frenzy posted:

All of the Zero stuff still has the diet/saccharin after taste to me. It’s less than full diet, but still there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If it gets less than super-cold it's slightly noticeable, but the trade-off of losing 40 grams of high fructose corn syrup (10 tsp of sugar) per can or whatever is worth it.

I don't even drink that much soda but even one can a day of that is ridiculous.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

fartknocker posted:

All of the Zero stuff still has the diet/saccharin after taste to me. It’s less than full diet, but still there.

This is why I don't drink a ton of soda - a couple a month. I don't like the taste of non-sugar sweeteners and generally believe the amounts in zero and diet sodas is worse for you than sugar. My diet already has enough issues that consuming a ton of calories in the form of drinks was easy to cut out. I pretty much drink water, sparkling water, unsweet iced tea and iced black coffee.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’ve switched over to just making a big batch of tea every few days to cut back/spending so much on diet sodas. Half gallon glass jug, 5 Lipton tea bags, half cup of sugar and boiling water. Let that steep a bit and I’m good to go for a few days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neil Armbong posted:

This is why I don't drink a ton of soda - a couple a month. I don't like the taste of non-sugar sweeteners and generally believe the amounts in zero and diet sodas is worse for you than sugar. My diet already has enough issues that consuming a ton of calories in the form of drinks was easy to cut out. I pretty much drink water, sparkling water, unsweet iced tea and iced black coffee.

I keep a handful of sugared sodas (Twig's and Green River, yo!) in the fridge in the event I have a hypoglycemic crash and need to get my blood glucose back up quickly. Fuckin' diabetes.

Otherwise, I just drink 4 - 5 liters of water a day.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I like that freezer drawers are more energy efficient but yeah I am with you that I like big freezers. Don’t really get that with the drawers.

I work all the time and I’m busy. Freezer food supremacy!!!

I bought a chest freezer a couple months back and I loving love it.

It makes Costco trips expensive as hell but at least I only go like once a quarter now

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I got a small-ish chest freezer from Costco (Midea, I think 7 cubic ft), and was excited it fit in my SUV. Drove down to Portland to buy it tax free too. Excellent purchase, would buy again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Unrelated, but I just found out Nedry from Jurassic Park wore the same clothes as The Goonies:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
… I’ve seen both those movies over 10+ each and I’ve never noticed. Wow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

Yeah, my parents have owned multiple homes, not at the same time, they owned a house before I was born, sold it and rented a bunch, bought one about twenty years ago , realized they hated living in a giant house that took thirty minutes to get anywhere, sold that and bought a condo in the city, and I think the first refrigerator they ever bought (at least in my lifetime) was about 5 years ago after living in that condo for a decade.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, I massively cut back on sodas 6~ years ago. I was drinking a 12oz can or so every day with lunch or dinner, plus more while working retail or out or whatever. Now, I keep the smaller 8oz cans of Dr. Pepper around and will open one maybe every 2-3 days and often not even finish it. I’ll still drink soda when out at restaurants now and then, particularly since I don’t drink alcohol, but it’s a hell of a lot less than I did way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

seiferguy posted:

Unrelated, but I just found out Nedry from Jurassic Park wore the same clothes as The Goonies:

Whats going on here? Homage, coincidence, or a secret message?

I have been watching some extra TV in my idle hours lately due to burning out on reading, and gaming. I was watching the classic film The Equalizer on the TBS channel and I stood up like the Abe Lincoln meme and loudly proclaimed, "Martin Csokas is one of the best supporting actors of my lifetime"