Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Reaper should also only be dpsing in raids (other than doing mechanics/reviving as required). Other than rotation I'd expect it to play exactly as berserker - isn't the berserker rotation still extremely punishing though if you drop out of berserk? Picking something you're very comfortable playing is always going to help when learning new content, but imo reaper is generally easier to play - be in shroud as much as possible and spin to win.

If you want to not die, you can ignore a lot of mechanics on reaper with shroud 3, but a much better idea is to simply not stand in bad places. If you're struggling with doing damage while not dying, it's generally going to be better to not die and do no damage than to mindlessly dps in a big red floor circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

..btt posted:

Reaper should also only be dpsing in raids (other than doing mechanics/reviving as required). Other than rotation I'd expect it to play exactly as berserker - isn't the berserker rotation still extremely punishing though if you drop out of berserk? Picking something you're very comfortable playing is always going to help when learning new content, but imo reaper is generally easier to play - be in shroud as much as possible and spin to win.

If you want to not die, you can ignore a lot of mechanics on reaper with shroud 3, but a much better idea is to simply not stand in bad places. If you're struggling with doing damage while not dying, it's generally going to be better to not die and do no damage than to mindlessly dps in a big red floor circle.

My Reaper is huge on bonus vit and toughness. maybe if i geared a second set I could stop, i guess it's alil redundant to vit/tough focus on reaper, but it's how I learned to live.

I don't think I was in danger from mobs. I got dead by some sand shooting at me a lot though. Bezerker atleast can jump forward a bit. My reaper is almost all bleed, so it's probably useful situationally, and maybe again I just don't have enough xp to utilize it in raids. Fractals I center on boss and pull when I can and drop aoe as much as i can while spamming off and dropping to shroud to stay alive and burn attacks then dropping out to layer more attacks/conditions then swap to burn through staff and go back to shroud.

Honestly, I think it might be more the raid dynamic. I just thought getting out of my open world comfort mentality might help and I could have more of a focus to what I'm doing other than spamming my way through cycling attacks or just feel like i'm doing more than laying conditions and waiting for it to help. Mechanics I for sure need to learn to work with.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I uh I'm not the most minmaxy person in the world but if your gear has toughness and vit in a raid you need to look up a gear guide ASAP because you're gearing very wrongly for the content. It doesn't matter if running shiverpeak pass because 5 monkeys could clear that but it does matter for raids. It sounds like you're running trailblazer which is not what you'd want for that content.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

nesamdoom posted:

Condition based Reaper feels lost in raids. At least as far as I've tried a couple and I don't really get what I'm supposed to be doing. Solo targets are weird, but managable... gettting insta'd by environment is less fun. I might try Berzerker next time I jump into raids, because atleast then I clearly know my only thing is trying to dps.

There is a huge mindswitch from fractals I've not figure out yet, but I've enjoyed the time being taught when I was in group. it's so much different than I expected.

I'll look up 1 and I think I was in on a 4. but, no kid this weekend and I'd be good to give it a shot.

condition reaper is a fantastic build but you need exacting gear and it's _extremely_ difficult and almost 100% based on combo field activations

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Reoxygenation posted:

I uh I'm not the most minmaxy person in the world but if your gear has toughness and vit in a raid you need to look up a gear guide ASAP because you're gearing very wrongly for the content. It doesn't matter if running shiverpeak pass because 5 monkeys could clear that but it does matter for raids. It sounds like you're running trailblazer which is not what you'd want for that content.

that's very fair. I haven't changed anything for stuff. I run my 'try not to die alone' sort of thing for everything. so gearing into a less solo survival style would make sense. even losing ascended, i could kit up more for damage.

with power and condition already, would I want to shoot for precision, ferocity, or what? I can afford a second set of gear that's exotic, def not to make another ascended set.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

nesamdoom posted:

that's very fair. I haven't changed anything for stuff. I run my 'try not to die alone' sort of thing for everything. so gearing into a less solo survival style would make sense. even losing ascended, i could kit up more for damage.

with power and condition already, would I want to shoot for precision, ferocity, or what? I can afford a second set of gear that's exotic, def not to make another ascended set.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zhed%27s_armor

just buy these off the TP (minus the hat which you'll either want to craft or get stat selectable) and change the runes (and your jewelry/weapons) and you'll be set

https://snowcrows.com/builds/raids/necromancer/power-reaper

edit: the snowcrows build does that dumb thing where they rely on precision infusions to crit cap, the metabattle version has variants, you'll want assassin legs for a 1:1 swap

Saraiguma fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 26, 2024

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, you should absolutely not have lots of toughness on your gear if you join a raid, unless you want to tank - some bosses always attack the highest toughness target. This is ignoring that it's useless for your damage output. For what it's worth, learning where to stand and when to dodge and use defensive skills will increase your survivability far better than any stat boost. The good news is: in raids you can just stack on the group and 99% of the time you'll be in the right place.

nesamdoom posted:

Very generally you want berserker for power dps and viper for condi. More specifically, here is a guide for condi reaper: https://snowcrows.com/builds/raids/necromancer/condition-reaper. Don't worry if you can't easily afford the ascended gear, or the exact stats, exotics are more than enough for raids. Once you're ready to get a bit more nerdy about it there are important breakpoints in certain stats... but that's not something that is important unless you're looking to really minmax, and there is no content in the game that requires you to do so.

E: also don't worry about the rotation too much - just hitting all your buttons off cooldown will be good enough.

..btt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 26, 2024

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

nesamdoom posted:

Condition based Reaper feels lost in raids. At least as far as I've tried a couple and I don't really get what I'm supposed to be doing. Solo targets are weird, but managable... gettting insta'd by environment is less fun. I might try Berzerker next time I jump into raids, because atleast then I clearly know my only thing is trying to dps.

There is a huge mindswitch from fractals I've not figure out yet, but I've enjoyed the time being taught when I was in group. it's so much different than I expected.

I'll look up 1 and I think I was in on a 4. but, no kid this weekend and I'd be good to give it a shot.

Looks like other folks already answered your questions, but to mirror the advice of others - consider dropping toughness in raids unless you're intending to tank. It's possible your toughness is drawing aggro from a boss. That's why healers will wear Harrier gear to minimize their toughness (if someone else is assigned to tank), or they'll swap to Minstrel/Giver gear if they're tanking.

I don't know what situations you've been in, but it's possible you've had inexperienced/lacking healers, too. In content I'm familiar with, I can solo heal most things. In content I'm new & still learning, I can struggle. In my opinion, the healer should probably be the most familiar with the encounter mechanics of anybody in the raid (or really any encounter), but that's just my two cents.

If you're into having extra vitality/health, that's okay, particularly for learning, but healers should be able to keep you alive if the encounter mechanics are being followed. You could swap out some Berserker stats for Dragon stats, not a bad idea.

For raids, I'd recommend Power DPS Reaper over Condi. Power is just easier to pickup, not to say Condi isn't viable, but it's just way less forgiving and more situational. Maybe learn as much as you can with Power, get cozy/accustomed to the fight, then swap over to Condi if you're super passionate about that build.

Without getting off-topic too much, this is why I shook my head when LazyPeon picked Catalyst during his short-time playing GW2. I knew immediately that he was going to get his rear end kicked (and have a bad time) by picking a more complex/trickier to master build when there was a dozen easier, more forgiving options, which were all just as effective. Build complexity is not a bad thing, but when you're learning, keeping it simple means you can focus more on the encounter itself and less on tight timing windows and executing things perfectly, but I digress.

Here's a helpful video that walks through a Power DPS Reaper rotation and should cover all the essentials. It's the guide I've been using for my new Reaper alt, I'm really enjoying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDqWm-NOQM

If obtaining new gear is ever an issue (assuming you don't have legendaries), hop into WvW for a few hours and then talk to this robot NPC. For some Badges of Honor and a small amount of gold, you can pickup a full set of stat-selectable exotic gear in no time, including jewelry, backpack, all slots.

Thankfully Exotic gear is totally viable in raids.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 26, 2024

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Jedah posted:

If you're into having extra vitality/health, that's okay, particularly for learning, but healers should be able to keep you alive if the encounter mechanics are being followed. You could swap out some Berserker stats for Dragon stats, not a bad idea.
I absolutely love splashing in a handful of Dragon stats on power builds. It takes a build from glass cannon to surprisingly durable with just a few pieces.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I almost always run a mix of berserker , marauder and/or dragon when I'm playing a power build. You lose a small percent in terms of DPS but gain tenfold in survivability.

Also for newbies or people confused about stats:
Typically you pick either power OR comdition damage to build around.
Generally for power you also want precision and ferocity for crit chance and crit damage. For condition you want condition damage and expertise for condition duration.

Most of the time you won't be mixing and matching in end-game situation, as there is a general expectation that you will be fulfilling a specific role within an acceptable range. If you are supposed to be doing physical DPS and the top end players do 30k, and average players do 15k, you should not handicap yourself by having the wrong stats and only doing 1k.

That said, that's only really for end game or otherwise organized group content...In day to day play, go nuts with whatever wacky combo you want.

Ok thanks for coming to my TEID-07 talk

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Ugh, can't wait to never do SotO metas or Convergences ever again

Now all I need is to map complete Nayos 6x once the patch hits, then salvage one of my (aptly named) Zojja armor pieces for the final dark matter cube

Oddly enough, I think I want to take a huge break from obsessively playing this game immediately after... It's been nearly nonstop since November

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I feel you. I always find my enthusiasm evaporates for a couple of months after I finish a big thing.

Good thing Helldivers exists!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Remember kids, stay in school and never rush a legendary grind.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

whydirt posted:

Remember kids, stay in school and never rush a legendary grind.

I did the opposite of rushing back in November, crafting Aurora/Vision years after their release. Still equally unwise.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

gandlethorpe posted:

Ugh, can't wait to never do SotO metas or Convergences ever again

Now all I need is to map complete Nayos 6x once the patch hits, then salvage one of my (aptly named) Zojja armor pieces for the final dark matter cube

Oddly enough, I think I want to take a huge break from obsessively playing this game immediately after... It's been nearly nonstop since November

:laugh: yea

All of my legendaries caused to me to leave the game for a while.

I guess the trick is to stop caring when it is done, but I never quite managed that.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
There's also another armour we'll need to craft. Based on the others, probably a mix of the various SOTO map-currency items as well as various gifts. Unless it's ascended on top of, in which case... who knows?

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Also: fucken hell the gen 3 skins are expensive...

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

There's also another armour we'll need to craft. Based on the others, probably a mix of the various SOTO map-currency items as well as various gifts. Unless it's ascended on top of, in which case... who knows?

The last item might not be an armor set. They only mentioned 3 armor sets + the legendary in their marketing.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm so glad I already unlocked lego armor for all three armor classes with raiding.

Now I just need a sink for all this T3 kryptis cum clogging my inventory.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ApeHawk posted:

Now I just need a sink for all this T3 kryptis cum clogging my inventory.

Yeah let me know if you find any. Maybe in today's patch? They must realize that stuff is useless if you don't plan on getting the armor.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there should be like, a final tier of rifts and motivations to go with them that use essences of triumph in their recipes. a fourth rift tier that drops mats instead of essences so they can be indirectly converted.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah let me know if you find any. Maybe in today's patch? They must realize that stuff is useless if you don't plan on getting the armor.

They've left plenty of currencies with no useful, long term sink. I don't think they've learned that lesson, or they're afraid of destroying the economy.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

pointlessone posted:

I absolutely love splashing in a handful of Dragon stats on power builds. It takes a build from glass cannon to surprisingly durable with just a few pieces.

For sure, the extra tankiness can be so valuable, particularly in pugs or training groups. In CO CM, people insta-melt to Dadga's greatsword spin/standing inside her hitbox. Helps a lot with learning mechanics.

LordAdakos posted:

Ok thanks for coming to my TEID-07 talk

A very good TEID-07 talk.

The Jade Bot Core: Tier 10 is a mega HP upgrade, too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dragon pieces find their way into some meta builds cause there's no other way to get ferocity as a major attribute in a prefix that also has both power and precision

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So it looks like the final tier of the armor collections is just to defeat different Kryptis bosses across the SotO maps

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 27, 2024

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Heads up you need to complete an achievement to use the new weapons, tied to chapter 14 of Soto. Not hard, just annoying. If you have 500 testimonies of jade heroics you can pop to the vendor and WvW and skip the bullshit. It's minor, but kinda annoying how they handled this one.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Reoxygenation posted:

Heads up you need to complete an achievement to use the new weapons, tied to chapter 14 of Soto. Not hard, just annoying.

gently caress off Anet

Reoxygenation posted:

If you have 500 testimonies of jade heroics you can pop to the vendor and WvW and skip the bullshit. It's minor, but kinda annoying how they handled this one.

....nvmd

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Reoxygenation posted:

Heads up you need to complete an achievement to use the new weapons, tied to chapter 14 of Soto. Not hard, just annoying. If you have 500 testimonies of jade heroics you can pop to the vendor and WvW and skip the bullshit. It's minor, but kinda annoying how they handled this one.

That's... Really lousy. I haven't really even touched soto while I've been chasing legendaries from the vault starter kits, that's a lot of play just to find out if they still suck.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Moot, Dreamer, Frostfang or Predator in this legendary box. Not the ones I've wanted, but I might craft myself an axe or a bow anyway.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

pointlessone posted:

That's... Really lousy. I haven't really even touched soto while I've been chasing legendaries from the vault starter kits, that's a lot of play just to find out if they still suck.

If you think that's lousy, they hosed up axe thief on dead eye - fixed a bunch of poo poo but it doesn't use the deadeye stealth attack, so deadeye is effectively broken with axe right now. Kind of mad since I was waiting for this SO bad.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ok while I'm ranting - I have 4 legendary weapons (Sword, Staff, Mace and Rifle) and somehow I managed to have at least 2 of the options in every single starter kit already. We've had 2 Bolts, 2 Quips, 2 Predators and 2 Moots, just give us an all-new selection.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Missed out on selling my many many stacks of lucent motes during the rune boom while they were 30c, but looks like I have another chance now that the relics still need poo poo tons of them

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Wuxi posted:

Ok while I'm ranting - I have 4 legendary weapons (Sword, Staff, Mace and Rifle) and somehow I managed to have at least 2 of the options in every single starter kit already. We've had 2 Bolts, 2 Quips, 2 Predators and 2 Moots, just give us an all-new selection.

They went ahead and gave us options according to the ones for new weapons granted for classes. On the upside, it's still a random gift of might or magic from it, so that's still decent value!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quote:

Revenant
Updated revenant streak audio with a new set of sounds.

I wonder if they finally got rid of the 'gee I wonder what happened to Cantha' bit :v:

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 27, 2024

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lucent motes up to 40c, lmao

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Okay despite it being broken on deadeye, axe might be the most fun thief weapon they made, the updated projectile tracking is great, the shadowstep existing on 3rd skill with dagger offhand is still fun (and can even be used just for traversal!! I love that!!!) and it just cleaves well for open world stuff, hitting stuff on the hit out and back in. The only downside is needing to shotgun axes on mobs in the open world since they don't have big hitboxes, but stuff dies fast enough that it's not really a concern.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

edit: double post

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 27, 2024

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If you need extra testimonies to unlock the weapons, Skirmish Chests from WvW give 6 each. I generally hold them since they open as a vendor screen and you can buy/open as much as you want at once, which is super convenient.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The legendary relic is honestly more expensive than I expected. I made legendary runes pretty casually starting just before SotO, and finished my sixth a little before the big announcement that drove prices up. So I wasn't involved in the craziness but it seems like even getting the inflated Legendary Rune would have paid off. Although the legendary relic doesn't need the charms so hopefully prices on those level out but the lucent motes....holy moly. It sucks too because I bought all the symbols I would need for four sigils when their prices dipped but I didn't buy all the piles of lucent motes I needed. I'm sure the prices will stabilize but they're like doubled and tripled right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress, I wanted to jump right in to using the new weapons but I've put off a lot of SotO for other stuff.

Ugh, fine. Glad to get my Moot box tonight tho