Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

teen witch posted:

I know I’ve absolutely missed it but why the hell are pro-lifers against IVF? Is it because of embryos? Like embryos die in the womb all the time without rhyme or reason?

Why prevent a kid being born via IVF? That doesn’t seem very pro life?
for the same reason those ghouls go after everything they do: it's an easy target.
there's no giant nra-like pro-ivf organization to give them money or fight, it really doesn't effect the majority of people. chuds saw a way to chip at society, to impose their will on a "soft" target, and did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not quite. The hospital let someone just wander into the secure area where the IVF embryos were at. They reached into a cryofreezer and grabbed the tray containing them. Their hands got burned and they dropped the tray destroying the embryos. The family that lost the embryos sued the hospital for wrongful death.

Has the family who started all this made any kind of statement after all this?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

for the same reason those ghouls go after everything they do: it's an easy target.
there's no giant nra-like pro-ivf organization to give them money or fight, it really doesn't effect the majority of people. chuds saw a way to chip at society, to impose their will on a "soft" target, and did it.

And thus a new wedge issue is born

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This time aimed at them inshallah

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, it is hardly a new wedge issue, literally nobody who isn't already fully on board with y'all quaeda reproductive politics will be swayed towards the republicans by an IVF ban. If anything, it only fractures the prolife camp. Unless you mean it's putting a wedge into the wedge.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

a not insignificant portion of pro-lifers have IVF babies, so I am enjoying this new civil war. In 2025 we're gonna see chuds start trying to hide their kids' IVF status.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

WHY BONER NOW posted:

i mean is it even a wedge issue? 99% of the country seems to have gone "the gently caress??" republicans only seem to be hemming and hawing to see how they can still oppose the demorats whiles still agreeing with them. i expect the gop to release a statement that's just "unlike the demorats we believe in the right to ivf! we disagree with these monsters and will be voting for a bill to preserve your right to ivf" while the democrats release a statement that "unlike the repubicans we believe in the right to ivf! we disagree with these monsters and will be voting for a bill to preserve your right to ivf"

but one thing is for sure: just like abortion and gay marriage some people will have to spend the rest of their lives trying to keep chuds from banning it. because we have to get lucky each and every time while they only have to get lucky once. 70 years from now they'll be asking a supreme court nominee if the right to ivf is settled law. while the rest of the country fights over scraps and puddles

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well, the Law of Republican Politics dictates that if the Dems are for it, the Repubs are against it.

So, Democrats should loudly say they are for IVF (and Choice overall), and let the Republican circuit boards frizzle.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

lmao, front the sum or go to prison

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Can't wait for miscarriages to be illegal

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

You must have a baby every three years until doctor-certified infertility.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know much about babies and soul and healthcare but I do know one thing: we need to cut taxes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Each menstrual cycle is a wasted human life, that sounds like it shouldn't be legal

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Outpacing the GoFundMe donations! :ohdear:

If those proud patriots truly support freedom they better start digging into the couch cushions

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, it is hardly a new wedge issue, literally nobody who isn't already fully on board with y'all quaeda reproductive politics will be swayed towards the republicans by an IVF ban. If anything, it only fractures the prolife camp. Unless you mean it's putting a wedge into the wedge.
Wedge issues can only enhance the power of our inevitable overlords and rightful masters, the GOP. No, I have not and will not look at any post-Dobbs election results. Only the 2016 one counts.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

steinrokkan posted:

Each menstrual cycle is a wasted human life, that sounds like it shouldn't be legal

I know I shouldn't be thinking about it this hard, but isn't the logical extension of this is that all women should be on birth control 28 days of every cycle to prevent eggs from being released into the uterus?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Women still get periods on birth control. Not all, but some. How can you prove there wasn't a future republican soldier in there?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

jokes posted:

Women still get periods on birth control

Not if they take the pill 28 days a month instead of 21 days + 7 days sugar pills.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Uhhh

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
post username combo extraordinaire

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I know I shouldn't be thinking about it this hard, but isn't the logical extension of this is that all women should be on birth control 28 days of every cycle to prevent eggs from being released into the uterus?
The logical conclusion is the intensive monitoring of all ovulating persons in order to maximize recovery and implantation of all egg cells. However this is impractical even under handmaid rear end levels of surveillance so instead women would just get held responsible for NOT doing it whenever convenient to the needs of the Party.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
It'll be a great thing if Americans can vote Republicans right the gently caress out of office so fast that while their heads are spinning we can have democracy after, as a treat

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Can't wait for miscarriages to be illegal

In states where abortions are now illegal, some miscarriages will be scrutinized as potential self-administered abortions. And you can bet that the majority of women being scrutinized for them will be black or brown.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BlackIronHeart posted:

In states where abortions are now illegal, some miscarriages will be scrutinized as potential self-administered abortions. And you can bet that the majority of women being scrutinized for them will be black or brown.

*are being scrutinized

This is 100% already happening

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Um yes, me too. Me too. I am also too rich to put up $90 million. Yeah, that's the ticket... I'm too rich, too.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

It's probably been said a million times over by now and it was the most easily predicted thing but overturning Roe v Wade is having the exact effect that anybody on the correct side of history would have said was going to happen if the ruling were overturned for, uh, 50 years now. And it's all exactly the reason Roe v Wade existed in the first place. Like, yeah, "pro-lifers" we loving TOLD YOU THIS WAS ALL GOING TO HAPPEN! It sucks everybody else has to suffer but if finally overturning Roe turbo-fucks the fascists for the foreseeable future there'll be at least some justice in the universe still kicking around.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

y'all qaeda

LMAO holy poo poo

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

It can't be overstated how much of a gift to the Ds this Alabama ruling is. It's still a net negative, and I feel bad for people in that state having to deal with this, but boy is it painting the wingnuts into the corner of saying the quiet part loud.

Reading a bit more into the ruling, it's clear that all they were going for was just forcing clinics to get their act together when it comes to properly caring for frozen embryos. Had the left not pointed out how the way then went about it plays right into the most extreme interpretation of anti-choice rhetoric (the only interpretation that ever made sense), I don't think it would have caused the current reckoning.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 27, 2024

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

Not if they take the pill 28 days a month instead of 21 days + 7 days sugar pills.

Lol goons

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah yeah behind closed doors working on Ceasefire. You could just stop vetoing the UN from calling for it.

You can't really "The checks in the mail" on stopping genocide

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Big lol that a republican judge NOT being a hypocrite is a big problem for the rest of the Rs.

"No, we were actually serious about our insane biblical interpretation of law. That's why we banned abortion, and so IVF has to go, too. Wait, why did YOU guys want to ban abortion?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nobodygetshurt posted:

y'all qaeda

LMAO holy poo poo

Sadly not a term of my coinage

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

this is how birth control pills work?

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

jfc

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Aramis posted:

It can't be overstated how much of a gift to the Ds this Alabama ruling is. It's still a net negative, and I feel bad for people in that state having to deal with this, but boy is it painting the wingnuts into the corner of saying the quiet part loud.

Reading a bit more into the ruling, it's clear that all they were going for was just forcing clinics to get their act together when it comes to properly caring for frozen embryos. Had the left not pointed out how the way then went about it plays right into he most extreme interpretation of anti-choice rhetoric (the only interpretation that ever made sense), I don't think it would have caused the current reckoning.

is it a gift? I feel like this kind of normalization happens a lot. There will be grumbling right out of the gate, but ultimately the anti-IVF ruling doesn't effect many people directly. It will just be another serviceable rallying cry for the pro-life set.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Has nobody in this thread ever heard of skipping periods jeez

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

women don't stop getting periods while on birth control. jesus christ educate yourself. birth control in fact helps regulate periods so that the happen on a more timely basis.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

Lol goons

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

tek79 posted:

It's probably been said a million times over by now and it was the most easily predicted thing but overturning Roe v Wade is having the exact effect that anybody on the correct side of history would have said was going to happen if the ruling were overturned for, uh, 50 years now. And it's all exactly the reason Roe v Wade existed in the first place. Like, yeah, "pro-lifers" we loving TOLD YOU THIS WAS ALL GOING TO HAPPEN! It sucks everybody else has to suffer but if finally overturning Roe turbo-fucks the fascists for the foreseeable future there'll be at least some justice in the universe still kicking around.

"We're on a mission from God."

Anything else to them is inherently invalid.

And by 'on a mission from God', they mean 'finding the best way to feed their egos and sense of self-importance and maybe a chunk of baseless banal sadism', of course. You told them? Invalid. They're on a mission from God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jimlit posted:

is it a gift? I feel like this kind of normalization happens a lot. There will be grumbling right out of the gate, but ultimately the anti-IVF ruling doesn't effect many people directly. It will just be another serviceable rallying cry for the pro-life set.
This isn’t inevitable. Robert’s strategy to slowly strangle abortion access in red states was working for them, but now the chuds smell blood and want the full lib owning.