Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
As someone who exclusively joins random groups, my ship name is Bringer of Individual Merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hey mom its 420 posted:

imo the other weapons that should be effective on armor are too weak, especially on difficulties 8 and 9

This.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

base armor stats are still broken but do we have a grasp on what the padded armor trait does/will do? that light padded armor in the store is tempting for style alone but if it combines "run fast" with "not die" that sounds like a must have

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hey mom its 420 posted:

imo the other weapons that should be effective on armor are too weak, especially on difficulties 8 and 9

100%, the recoilless rifle should not be weaker than the railgun.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Nuebot posted:

How do you oneshot a bile titan?
As this was specific to the Railgun - when they take a deep breath to hock green laser spit all over you you can put a single regular Railgun shot straight up through the roof of their mouth into their bug brain.

Doing it consistently needs some good aim and timing and for you to not be being harassed by little buggers.

I'm fairly sure some other weapons like the RR can achieve the same - but I favour the Railgun and so that's what I can say works.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

SkyeAuroline posted:

The ship names are just great. So far in my friend circle I've seen Father of Family Values, Will of the State ("I had to make it sound less like Triumph of the Will"), Custodian of Conviviality...

I've been through a couple, every so often I go browsing for something new
Dawn of Dawn
Elected Representative of Truth
Ombudsman of Morality

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kept getting insta-gibbed by a fellow player, or so the game told me, when I tried to fire EAT at some bugs waiting for extraction, anyone have any idea how that happened? Did I happen to be in the line of fire without realizing and the dude exploded the rocket as it left the tube or something? Weird desync maybe? Happened repeatedly from different positions just as I pressed fire.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
1 person going off to do subobjectives and clear random poi is totally fine if they know what they're doing and don't use the resupply or reinforcements. Now if they have to use the resupply and still die well that's not good at all. This means the other 3 are going to run out of ammo as they chew through alarm number 11 they insist on fighting and complain where the 4th is while they constantly get sample notifications and see those subobjectives being finished.

GlyphGryph posted:

Has anyone else had bug patrols just... brazenly spawn around them?

I was just by myself in the middle of an empty field heading towards a POI, and then suddenly surrounded by at least 10 hunters and some smaller bugs. They seemed just as shocked as me, thankfully, meaning I managed to survive, but it was a terrifying thing for a moment, hah.

I've had heavies spawn on top of me, on 8/9 its not the best experience. Patrols full of baby stalkers are also very painful because it nearly always leads to an alarm.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

SES Prophet of Opportunity signing in, dispensing space capitalism one brainwashed teenager at a time. :patriot:

Any tips for engaging Hulks in the relatively earlygame? Apart from the big heat vents on their backs, I'm guessing I should be going for their heads and shoulder joints with the EAT and anti-materiel rifle when I don't have big orbital boom available.

Also, if anyone has any good tips for how to evacuate essential personnel at higher difficulty levels when facing automata, that would be nice. The campaign is telling me I should be prioritising defence operations ATM.

The campaign thing is for the entire playerbase so you don’t need to worry about doing it yourself. for hulks you want to shoot the red “eye” front and center with something armor piercing. it’s very precise but it lets weapons with high (but not antitank-level) armor piercing can kill them from the front. 2 eye shots with the autocannon has been my method, I hear the anti material rifle does the same thing if you don’t have the autocannon unlocked yet.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

hey mom its 420 posted:

I mean the other weapons are serviceable to complete the hardest difficulties, just outshined by the railgun. If everything is as strong as the railgun then there is little difficulty left in the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

s1ppycup posted:

500KG bomb will do it if it hits close enough, maybe railcannon strike (haven't unlocked it).

Railcannon seems to do it sometimes, but not always, might have something to do with the specific angle. Surprisingly, orbital precision strike also seems capable of oneshotting them, but it needs to be perfectly dead-on with even less room for error than the 500kg.

https://i.imgur.com/ekLmpzM.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 27, 2024

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

flashman posted:

I mean the other weapons are serviceable to complete the hardest difficulties, just outshined by the railgun. If everything is as strong as the railgun then there is little difficulty left in the game.

that’s a matter of personal preference I guess. i’m at the level where I can beat 8s with a railgun but without it’s just too hard and a slog

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hey mom its 420 posted:

I played an extract the NPCs defense mission yesterday and to my surprise they made the radius of the map like three times bigger. not sure if that was just a random occurrence or if that came with an update. anyway, it made the mission much more fun because you could actually utilize your range and strategems and keep the situation under control

The larger extract NPC missions are wayyyy better on high difficulties than the small ones because when you inevitably get overrun you can abandon your position and draw the enemies out of the base to the outer part of the map while someone loops around to go back in and pull more civvies out

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The larger extract NPC missions are wayyyy better on high difficulties than the small ones because when you inevitably get overrun you can abandon your position and draw the enemies out of the base to the outer part of the map while someone loops around to go back in and pull more civvies out

Yeah the key to extracting NPCs in general is to stay the hell out of the base if you're not the one guy pushing the buttons, so that the enemies get aggroed well outside the area. The key is to just keep the buttons hitting because the faster you go the better, if you let the mission go and go it becomes rapidly less feasible to run around the edge of the map and survive.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

hey mom its 420 posted:

that’s a matter of personal preference I guess. i’m at the level where I can beat 8s with a railgun but without it’s just too hard and a slog

Imo the hardest difficulty should be hard even when you got four dudes tuned in and working together. The railgun trivializes the difficulty and need to work together even

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah fair enough. the devs definitely know what they’re doing so I trust they’ll know how to tweak the difficulty way better than me or whatever

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

flashman posted:

The railgun is too strong

Imo it should serve to bypass armor, but it shouldn't break armor.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've unlocked today the 8 - Suicide Mission difficulty but really, that "I" is pretty generous, I was just carried by two other more veteran players with better equipment than me.
Honestly, difficulty 6 seems the sweet point to play the game, diff 7+ seems to me the enemy just do Titan / Charger / Bile spewer spam and the player counter act with railgun/air strike spam. The feeling of being a grunt with your trusty assault rifle against a horde of alien enemies is gone.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

5 and 6 are the fun spots imo

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Turin Turambar posted:

Breaking armour would be a great job for the suitably named 'Anti Material Rifle'

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Section Z posted:

Now watch it turn out the extraction base can actually have enemies inside of it by default, and I have just been lucky when this plan is put to use.

Sometimes the extraction is literally a medium bot outpost.

Honestly RE: railgun

It should lose half it's ammo pool to put it more in line with the RR in terms of overall damage capability. - does sustained damage that maintains mobility and flexibility vs. RRs spike damage and raw DPS when buddy loaded.

A.) Buddy loads shouldnt need the backpack for the buddy loader.

B.) 2 RR or EAT to the side of a tank or a single EAT or RR to the weak points of a hulk, tank or charger should kill it dead.

C.) SPEAR should have an alt fire mode that is TV guided like battlefield helo ATGMs and 1 hit kill stuff, straight up.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 27, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

More downsides like a backpack and a smaller ammo count would also be a good way to balance it without changing the damage. 6 ammo seems fair

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you're looking for a good time, fight bots. Don't do it on defend planets like the global order is baiting you though, because the defend missions suck. Find a nice contested planet and do some large 40 minute difficulty 7~ missions. There's some new things you'll need to learn and sometimes a rocket devastator will just turn you into paste but bots are just more interesting. The railgun is nicer here too, because it's a great tool for dueling devastators and hulks but it doesn't feel forced like bug missions where not having it means spending most of your time running away from chargers.

flashman posted:

More downsides like a backpack and a smaller ammo count would also be a good way to balance it without changing the damage. 6 ammo seems fair
This is a horrible suggestion.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

flashman posted:

Lol. No it isn't. It's in a good spot. Other weapons need some tweaks to be more viable against armored enemies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

slicing up eyeballs posted:

base armor stats are still broken but do we have a grasp on what the padded armor trait does/will do? that light padded armor in the store is tempting for style alone but if it combines "run fast" with "not die" that sounds like a must have

All light padded does is increase the armor rating, so right now it does bubkis. Buy it anyway cause it's gonna get fixed at some point.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Kept getting insta-gibbed by a fellow player, or so the game told me, when I tried to fire EAT at some bugs waiting for extraction, anyone have any idea how that happened? Did I happen to be in the line of fire without realizing and the dude exploded the rocket as it left the tube or something? Weird desync maybe? Happened repeatedly from different positions just as I pressed fire.

Were they wearing a shield and behind you? The game models backblast iirc.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Friend and I tested the “distraction” strategy on an evac mission last night and it was great. We dropped outside the compound, he started raising hell, and I went over to push buttons. Rescued all the personnel without seeing a single bot. Then he just ran back and we extracted. It was pretty fun hearing him scream about robots while I just pushed buttons and said hello to scientists.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Jerkface posted:

you can quick carry the shells by spamming use on them you will walk fast while picking up and dropping a shell. Makes it much easier to do solo.

I like doing it solo because my teammates did it once and MAYBE it was bad rng on shell generation but they loaded all smoke \ static field so it was useless

Static field at least can still blow up factories if the initial shell impacts it. Maybe smoke too? Never tried it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

flashman posted:

Other support weapons should be stronger instead of nerfing the Railgun.

flashman posted:

No, no way in hell. Six shots is basically nothing with the railgun unless you're risking death with every single shot, and even then that's not nearly enough. Forcing a backpack carry with it goes against its purpose, too- backpacks are for teamwork weapons. The railgun is clearly not a teamwork weapon.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 27, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darox posted:

This is a horrible suggestion.

It's a joke, they're describing the RR.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sombody explain to me like i'm 4 how to use the railgun and how it's considered the most broken anti armor strat in the game? I seem to just be terrible with it and not getting the idea :v:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Sombody explain to me like i'm 4 how to use the railgun and how it's considered the most broken anti armor strat in the game? I seem to just be terrible with it and not getting the idea :v:

Take a shield backpack now you can't be slowed by green bugs and don't get gibbed by rockets or stalkers or acid.

Now

Shoot chargers in the leg twice - then dump a Breaker or Defender mag into the open leg.

Shoot titans in the mouth when they're charging up.

Shoot Hulks and tanks in the eye or back radiator

Then try doing the same thing with a RR or Spear.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 27, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

apostateCourier posted:

Other support weapons should be stronger instead of nerfing the Railgun.

No, no way in hell. Six shots is basically nothing with the railgun unless you're risking death with every single shot, and even then that's not nearly enough. Forcing a backpack carry with it goes against its purpose, too- backpacks are for teamwork weapons. The railgun is clearly not a teamwork weapon.

6 shots is three chargers or a bile and a charger? As I said above the railgun as it is trivializes any challenge on the highest difficulties so boosting the rest of the weapons is silly.

Requiring a backpack and reducing your shot count requires at least a modicum of teamwork, to get some supplies to continue to be able to easily dispatch all the hardest enemies on helldiver difficulty

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Play vs Bots and use it like a bolt action rifle on the walkers and big stompy guys and you start to feel the power. Then use it on the big stuff and while it takes a few shots you realize none of the other options would do any better and most would be markedly worse.

EATs are such a bummer calling in 2 single use rockets and they dont even kill a charger with a headshot like wtf

edit: being able to kill 2 things every 70 seconds if you land your shot should not be too much to ask

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

To be clear I have no issue with them leaving the railgun way stronger than the rest of the stuff as we can just not use it! But to balance stuff up to the railgun will ruin the game lol

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

flashman posted:

6 shots is three chargers or a bile and a charger? As I said above the railgun as it is trivializes any challenge on the highest difficulties so boosting the rest of the weapons is silly.

Requiring a backpack and reducing your shot count requires at least a modicum of teamwork, to get some supplies to continue to be able to easily dispatch all the hardest enemies on helldiver difficulty

Six shots plus significant small arms fire is three chargers. Six shots only gets a bile titan and a charger- again, a charger is 2 railgun shots plus a nontrivial amount of small arms fire- with near perfect overcharge and aim on enemies with squirrelly hitboxes, and the railgun both kills you and destroys itself if you gently caress up. It's fine as is.

The recoilless has one shot potential on biles if you nail the throat shot, without having to line it up with a timer. It also opens charger legs in one shot, so six shots of recoilless is six chargers by your logic.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

flashman posted:

Imo the hardest difficulty should be hard even when you got four dudes tuned in and working together. The railgun trivializes the difficulty and need to work together even

hey mom its 420 posted:

hey mom its 420 posted:

Ok, difficulty talk.

-First, there are 9 difficulties. That's plenty, enough so everybody should be able to find an adequate, engaging difficulty for them.
-That includes the best of players, so for me, it's common sense that the highest ones like difficulty 8 should be for people who a) veterans of the game, b) the are friends and have voice comms, c) are experienced shooter players, and d) like a challenge, and difficulty 9 shouldn't be for us mere mortals, but for the best players out there. And that's ok, because people who are less good and without cop pals (ie. me) can play at level 4 or 5 or whatever.
-On the other hand this means the game shouldn't suppose the player will eventually get to level 7-9, and the resource system seems to imply that.
-The reality is that the game isn't designed like this, there is a clear sense of "RPG" progression, where the player at level 1 is weaker but that's ok because you are playing at Dif2, and eventually once he has experience with the game, gain the meta upgrades in the destroyer and the best equipment possible, then he can beat the final difficulties that before were impossible for him. Like, a low level dude with the semi shotgun and a recoilless rifle is so far away in power from a dude with a auto shotgun, shield bubble or dog rover and a railgun, that isn't even funny. They aren't sidegrades, they are upgrades.
-So I have the feeling the game have been balanced thinking the average joe should get into difficulty 7-8 for the "end game", leaving just difficulty 9 for the hardcore players. Some enemies don't even appear until Dif 6, and you can't get the rare resources until Dif 7, so that supports my theory.
-In fact I feel the devs have strung themselves a bit with their design. Because they decided that enemies should have the same health/damage in higher difficulties than in lower difficulties. That sound good at first mind you, because no one likes huge sacks of health as basic enemies, but also mean high level enemies only appear at the last difficulty levels, so average players should also reach that. And because there are technical reasons to not have huuge swarms of enemies, they can't spam freely low level enemies to increase the difficulty, so the only way to increase the difficulty is... to constantly spawn 3-4 elite enemies with tough armor.
-Overall I would nerf the railgun and two/three of the most used strategems, in exchange I would try to increase the difficulty of level 7-9 in other ways that just high level armored critter spam.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Shame Boy posted:

Broken is taking it too far, and is usually applied by folks who don't get how to use the alternatives effectively. It's quite good, and a very strong combo with things like the guard dog or shield backpacks.

But it's slower than the EAT or RR on a charger for the same impact. One shot from either of those weapons strips off the armor, and a Javelin will kill the thing in one shot fairly frequently.

On brood commanders and hive guardians, the AC is significantly faster at killing groups. You only need one railgun shot to kill a guardian, and two for an AC, but the AC fires like 5 rounds per second on target if you're prone or kneeling with the recoil armor on. Railgun is single shot with a reload.

When doing red level missions if there's two people already bringing a railgun i'll usually bring a javelin or an AC because those guns do some things much better than railguns. Edit: For example, blowing up illegal broadcasts or spore spewers or bot factories from 300m away so you don't even have to walk over there.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 27, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

apostateCourier posted:

Six shots plus significant small arms fire is three chargers. Six shots only gets a bile titan and a charger- again, a charger is 2 railgun shots plus a nontrivial amount of small arms fire- with near perfect overcharge and aim on enemies with squirrelly hitboxes, and the railgun both kills you and destroys itself if you gently caress up. It's fine as is.

The recoilless has one shot potential on biles if you nail the throat shot, without having to line it up with a timer. It also opens charger legs in one shot, so six shots of recoilless is six chargers by your logic.

Yes? Recoiless requires a backpack and reloads way slower as well as a harder shot to make so seems fair? Railgun is easy to aim can reload on the move and is hitscan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Infidelicious posted:

Take a shield backpack now you can't be slowed by green bugs and don't get gibbed by rockets or stalkers or acid.

Now

Shoot chargers in the leg twice - then dump a Breaker or Defender mag into the open leg.

Shoot titans in the mouth when they're charging up.

Shoot Hulks and tanks in the eye or back radiator

Then try doing the same thing with a RR or Spear.

So these are with the none charge shots then?