Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Arivia posted:

I can’t tell if you’re lampshading Doom32, or if you didn’t know.

I learned about it but then forgot since it's not exactly prominently mentioned whenever BTSX being "vanilla-compatible" comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wrath supposed to drop tomorrow right? I have enjoyed what I've played so far so I got a good feeling. I kinda have to, I'm pretty sure I'm past the return window

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

I learned about it but then forgot since it's not exactly prominently mentioned whenever BTSX being "vanilla-compatible" comes up.

To be fair, they solved it for the final release...by just shipping two WAD files instead of one.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

haveblue posted:

On top of cool rendering tricks Dark Forces also supported rotating brushes and a bunch of other things. I never dug into it but it was probably as scriptable as, say, Hexen. Levels had triggered voice lines and narratives, integrated cutscenes, complicated switch-driven mechanisms, and other stuff

I remember some Dark Forces custom levels would have some new 2d graphics or sounds. One in particular boasted of having new voice lines, which turned out to be some very hacked together lines from the base game. The one that's been stuck in my head for decades now is:

Kyle Katarn, after picking up a sprite overdrawn in MS paint: "Jan," "I-" "Found a..." "Thing..."
Jan Ors, sounding very annoyed: "Move-" "-On!"

There were some pretty creative custom levels, some which did attempt some cinematic scripted sequences, like appearing to be on a ship taking off and landing (clever hidden elevators), escaping a collapsing cave (clever visible elevators), etc. The bigger mods did tend to break badly on my Mac in ways they reportedly usually didn't on PC, though, and I don't ever recall seeing any new 3d models. I wonder how much of the base game functionality was actually figured out or implemented by modders and editing tool makers before the popularity mostly died out?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.eurogamer.net/wrath-aeon-of-ruin-review

Sounds like the level design is really something!

quote:

Where Wrath stands out from the crowd is in its level design. Each of its fifteen maps is a masterpiece of 3D worldbuilding, a soaring, twisting, tunnelling, looping, writhing work of art. As each hub provides some flexibility in the order you tackle its challenges, I can't say which you'll encounter first. It will probably be The Undercrofts, a sprawling necropolis that weaves through snowy graveyards and subterranean sepulchres that took me 48 minutes to complete. But it might equally be The Mire, which drops you into the world's most elaborate sewer level and forces you to climb out to a castle on the cliffside. It could even be the Gardens, an ingenious spiralling design that keeps feeding you back into its central greenhouse hub, like the world's deadliest hedge maze.

It isn't just the scale of these maps which astonishes (although in some, like The Burrows, it's hard to focus on much else) it's the loving detail poured into them. The way each room is shaped and contoured, the way its paths meander and overlap, the way KillPixel sculpts the Quake engine's rough-hewn polygons into elegant curves and crenelations. I'm particularly fond of episode Two's spaces, where Wrath's vast architecture and bloody action combines with a mystical desert theme, to make you feel like Conan carving his way through some ancient, forgotten kingdom.

Convex fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 27, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First review of... drat, too late.

Well, he didn't like a lot the pace/flow, and scored 3/5 stars.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Wrath was helped across the finish line by some extremely talented quake mappers. It's going to be fantastic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I've been watching some other reviews on youtube and they are more positive than Eurogamer. It looks nice, and the combat also looks good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/pixel_axel/status/1762228642304713101?t=Vk3kf-a2pqyIQCfXLczF9w&s=19

Toot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am willing to buy Wrath: Methadone of Quake, but its still in early access even though today it is the day its supposed to release.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like my levels writhing tyvm

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Barudak posted:

I am willing to buy Wrath: Methadone of Quake, but its still in early access even though today it is the day its supposed to release.

Probably going to switch over at standard Steam release time? Which is like 10am PST, I think.

Some off the cuff Wrath notes I picked up in EA, if anyone's wants them:

• The highest difficulty has all the typical Quake Nightmare problems with turret enemies and such, I'd stay away from it.
  • Muscle-memorise the timing on the shotgun's charge secondary, it is super useful
  • Basically everything in the bestiary will kill you if you get close enough to it, so stay very far away from everything. Especially anything that glows green, or runs towards you very quickly.
  • Do not underestimate the squishy green balls! The ones you shoot and the ones some enemies explode into or huck at you. They don't look like much but they will absolutely wreck your poo poo. Worse than getting hit by an Ogre grenade.
  • Most of the powerups seemed kinda unnecessary, but the one that's like a pyramidal yellow flask will cause enemies to attack each other, and that can be the difference between life and death in extremely tight encounters.
  • You get oodles of save items (at least in the first episode) so there's no need to be stingy with them.
  • I think almost all of the weapon secondaries are good for something, so check them out. Except the fang spitter secondary, I never worked out what that offered over the primary mode. Might be a bit more ammo efficient?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 27, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kerrhyphen posted:

I remember some Dark Forces custom levels would have some new 2d graphics or sounds. One in particular boasted of having new voice lines, which turned out to be some very hacked together lines from the base game. The one that's been stuck in my head for decades now is:

Kyle Katarn, after picking up a sprite overdrawn in MS paint: "Jan," "I-" "Found a..." "Thing..."
Jan Ors, sounding very annoyed: "Move-" "-On!"

I remember somebody made a "F-- *kshhh* you, dark trooper" sound bite which ended up in like half the custom maps.

Custom 3d models were definitely rare, the most I recall is I think a few people brought stuff in from X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I've been watching some other reviews on youtube and they are more positive than Eurogamer. It looks nice, and the combat also looks good.
I can't take anybody who complains about the (extremely generous) save system seriously, and their other complaints about standing around passively plinking at distant enemies is a far cry from the fluid bunnyhopping and blade chaining that you could do in early access.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Convex posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/wrath-aeon-of-ruin-review

Sounds like the level design is really something!

Hah! He didn't like the save system since it stressed him out, trap sprung!

But seriously, when I heard about quicksave mechanic it instantly piqued my interest. It struck me as such good design, because quicksave scumming is a blight upon PC gaming. Severance: Blade of Darkness did a great job of it, where they mocked the player when your save count got too high, and after a quick spin of Wrath's EA a few years ago I knew it wasn't an issue at all; the quicksave consumable is plentiful beyond belief, but its mere presence really antagonises those who can't walk down an empty corridor without tapping F5.

The rest of that review kinda mirrors what I saw in EA a few years ago: staggering gorgeous levels, a humdrum arsenal, and a functional menagerie that didn't really drive anything home.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My biggest gripe was I completely forgot about the powerups and I honestly don't feel like I missed much. I'm sure it would have made it a lot easier until I got my arsenal up to snuff

koren
Sep 7, 2003

They really should have just doubled down and went save shrine only, or at least made outlander difficulty quicksave tokens a vanishingly rare resource. Unfortunately the backlash against the system was pretty vociferous. A large proportion of fps players seemingly just want to play on the hardest difficulty and brute force their way through a game via savescumming.

The old powerup system; was hampered by having a really bizarre real-time selection... bar instead of a wheel (you had to float your mouse left or right over the item you wanted to select), which made using them while under any sort of pressure really fiddly. Thankfully that is now a normal item wheel.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

But then they play some Dark Souls or Armored Core, and it's a 9/10 game!
edit: even worse, a 10/10 in EG , and it's a game where you have to replay a LOT if you quit the game when you reach a boss and can't defeat it in that moment.

Now, I know: they are different reviewers, EG isn't some monolithic think tank, so it's a silly comparison.
Right.
Right?
But there a subtle difference in play: when big sites review big titles, with an established fandom and popularity and high expectations, they usually make drat sure to give the title to a fan of the genre, someone who is already in tune with the devs known philosophy, etc. Because imagine if IGN gives a 6/10 to Elden Ring. They would be eaten alive.
Small titles don't have that luxury, they may get reviewed for someone who likes it, or not, and if they don't like any specific features, they also find themselves free to criticize them as much as they want. Said freedom... exist, but in a bit smaller quantities with other big titles, because it doesn't matter if the mission design is still linear and antiquated and without player agency in GTA6 like it was in GTA5, the writer will be allowed to mention it in the review, but sure as hell it will get 10/10 at the end of the day.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
BRB, pissing blood in an incandescent crimson fury because someone dared to taint the artist's original vision by turning off the save crystals in the Daikatana fan-patch.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
excited for wrath. played an hour or two of it in EA and liked it enough that i stopped to wait for the release.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Serephina posted:

But seriously, when I heard about quicksave mechanic it instantly piqued my interest. It struck me as such good design, because quicksave scumming is a blight upon PC gaming. Severance: Blade of Darkness did a great job of it, where they mocked the player when your save count got too high, and after a quick spin of Wrath's EA a few years ago I knew it wasn't an issue at all; the quicksave consumable is plentiful beyond belief, but its mere presence really antagonises those who can't walk down an empty corridor without tapping F5.

The rest of that review kinda mirrors what I saw in EA a few years ago: staggering gorgeous levels, a humdrum arsenal, and a functional menagerie that didn't really drive anything home.

I'm curious to know why a completely optional mechanic is a bad thing. If you don't like to quicksave you just can ignore that and if someone wants to quicksave every five seconds can do it.

It strikes me like the ones that say "playing XXX (usually a FROMsoft game) with consumables or co-op is cheating". Who cares? Is there a rational reason to say "manual quicksaves without limits are bad for videogames"?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Guillermus posted:

I'm curious to know why a completely optional mechanic is a bad thing. If you don't like to quicksave you just can ignore that and if someone wants to quicksave every five seconds can do it.

It strikes me like the ones that say "playing XXX (usually a FROMsoft game) with consumables or co-op is cheating". Who cares? Is there a rational reason to say "manual quicksaves without limits are bad for videogames"?

Yeah, pretty much this. I like the Cultic dev's take that allowing the game to be really easy is an accessibility option and a good thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

BRB, pissing blood in an incandescent crimson fury because someone dared to taint the artist's original vision by turning off the save crystals in the Daikatana fan-patch.

I remember people complaining the PC release of Tomb Raider was too easy because you could save anywhere while the PS1 version had save crystals and that's how you were supposed to play it

only 28 years ago! :corsair:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm of several minds on quicksaves but ultimately I couldn't understand getting excited over it. Oddly enough, I think wrath's gonna be good for it; you can't go crazy with the saves, but it's still pretty frequent.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like this is yet another case where people have condensed a mildly nuanced topic down to its worst possible permutation or are just telling on themselves.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

I remember people complaining the PC release of Tomb Raider was too easy because you could save anywhere while the PS1 version had save crystals and that's how you were supposed to play it

only 28 years ago! :corsair:

Oh I didn't know that!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Looking at my purchase history, I bought WRATH on October 30th, 2020. Holy poo poo.

I have never booted it up, so I'm excited to finally play it. I think some of the mappers who worked on Arcane Dimensions also worked on this, and I loving loved Arcane Dimensions.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looking at my purchase history, I bought WRATH on October 30th, 2020. Holy poo poo.

I have never booted it up, so I'm excited to finally play it. I think some of the mappers who worked on Arcane Dimensions also worked on this, and I loving loved Arcane Dimensions.

Haha I'm in the same boat

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Steam is telling me I put 33 hours into Wrath in EA...

...got my money's worth I guess...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

• The highest difficulty has all the typical Quake Nightmare problems with turret enemies and such, I'd stay away from it.

The highest difficulty has been removed!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Civvies next video makes me very happy as one of the weirdos who remembered that game and was utterly shocked that it was not the build engine. Plus I might have bugged him a few times with it on the grounds of "its exactly the kind of primordial fodder you arose from."

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Steam is telling me I put 33 hours into Wrath in EA...

...got my money's worth I guess...

13 hours here, I think it was during the whole "everyones working from home" period of my life and I just shrugged and fired it up judging by the last played being the 28th of august 2020.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 27, 2024

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Thyrork posted:

Civvies next video makes me very happy as one of the weirdos who remembered that game and was utterly shocked that it was not the build engine. Plus I might have bugged him a few times with it on the grounds of "its exactly the kind of primordial fodder you arose from."

Honestly surprised that there were still any old FPS-s (re-)published by Nightdive that Civvie hadn't covered left!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ammo balance seems a lot tighter now. Invaders drop slugs instead of shells and it doesn't look like Wretches drop anything at all. Not sure about the Widow.

e: Fang Spitter secondary is now some kind of spread fire? And the primary seems to pull up/be less accurate. That's two small changes pushing to more use of the Coach Gun Revolver.

e2: Oh poo poo, you can stagger Executioners out of a charge now, and bits get blown off them before they go down??

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 27, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thyrork posted:

13 hours here, I think it was during the whole "everyones working from home" period of my life and I just shrugged and fired it up judging by the last played being the 28th of august 2020.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Guillermus posted:

Going to push back and say that I prefer when developers put more sharp edges in games like this to try and push the player out of their comfort zone because they have a particular vision on how they want people to experience it, From Soft definitely gets that with their various mechanics they have pioneered.

Like, in my opinion saving is one of the most undersung aspects of difficulty balance in any game so its interesting to see when developers take it by the horns.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
I really don't mind the idea of changing up how saving works to make the player think about it and strategize a bit more, as long as it doesn't end up making the game immensely tedious due to having to replay long sections over and over, but I do find the weirdly recurring attitude of "quicksaving/savescumming is morally wrong" to be rather comical.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, I basically have 2-3 competing thoughts on the matter.

1) Friction in games can be fun and I generally don't have an issue with it. Interesting systems that make things more challenging aren't innately bad.

2) On the other hand, I don't like needing to repeat chunks of content unnecessarily.

3) Trying to design around people who don't want ANY friction or challenge is a fool's errand, because the truly stubborn will bust out CheatEngine anyway.

4) My quicksave habits are usually informed by the pace and difficulty of the game. I've never frantically mashed F5 all game long, but I sure as hell was more liberal with their use in something like Max Payne back when I didn't know how broken the dynamic difficulty was and could instantly die at any moment.

I guess what I'm really getting at is that if I'm finding myself save scumming my way through sections of a game or otherwise needing to actively manage my saves, rather than it being a no-frills baseline function, I think that the first thing to question is what's up with the difficulty and/or pace such that I've been put into that mindset in the first place. Rather than paint infinite saves as some kind of ridiculous excess.

In this case I'm rather suspicious of "there's a limited number of save tokens...but the game is so generous with them that it's not a limitation you actually have to concern yourself with". So what's the point of it then?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 27, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as the other person pointed out, there's no real reason not to have it because if you don't want to use it you can just not use it. someone else using it in no way affects how you play the game

site fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 27, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Really this is just the same thing as the creaky old time limit argument too. The second you put a time limit on something, no matter how generous, you get people overly preoccupied with it. To me it makes more sense to try and avoid features that actively distract people away from the game like that. Though to be clear, it's all down to how artfully it's handled and how important it truly is. I will never, ever like Majora's Mask in part due to its real time element, but I can at least acknowledge that it's part of the game's whole Thing. In comparison, the time limit in something like Fallout 1, particularly post-patch, isn't really a core pillar of that experience.

If Wrath was trying to be more of a survival horror-ish experience I guess it'd be fitting, but best I can tell it's yet another metal music + blood and guts affair so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Part of my thinking is influenced by how other games do it well, like its a mainstay in the Hitman series (my favourites) that saving is heavily tied to difficulty, in the World of Assassination trilogy you get a single save on Master difficulty. Likewise, I remember that Alien Isolation had a very controversial save system but at the end of the day I think it was a genius idea to make the player sweat when they have significant progress on the line in a survival horror game. Then you have the Ink Ribbons being brought back for Resident Evil 2's remake, at the highest difficulty.

I suppose it just feels like, if you are playing at the highest difficulty already, then saving has to be considered for that too, since you can basically bulldoze your way through almost anything if you are truly dedicated to savescumming, which sort of feels like it misses the point a bit of playing on a high difficulty setting.