Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A TV-show, whether adapted from a famous property or not, will always live and die by whether it's having any fun with its premise. 12 Monkeys is in my book still the absolute wildest turn from absolute trash to legitimately interesting show from season to season. If a show has a focus or a gimmick that its actually having fun with it can always salvage itself. Halo is going action this season and I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
as its being discussed, can someone tell me what happened in picard after he died but they uploaded his consciousness into a robot body with the exact same appearance, abilities, and life expectancy of his regular body

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I've no issue with having John pootling about fighting on Reach suit less (hell, it's much better he's actually doing poo poo here instead of sleeping through the whole darn thing like in the games) but he is gonna need it back by the time they're all on the ring and he hooks up with 343GS else the dude ain't gonna last 5 seconds.

Also I will riot if Riz doesn't make it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I do wanna say that think it's funny that they backpedalled from the incredibly unnecessary and horrendous looking CGI Cortana in the last season. Not that her current costume/makeup looks amazing, but I'm a fan of just using real actors when you can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still feel my main issue with the show rests in how it chooses to convey information to the viewer and what information it decides to prioritize. It makes a lot of assumptions about what the audience knows about Halo via pop culture osmosis and ends up treating certain concepts as a given when they really could use some more introduction.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 27, 2024

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I still feel my main issue with the show rests in how it chooses to convey information to the viewer and what information it decides to prioritize. It makes a lot of assumptions about what the audience knows about Halo via pop culture osmosis and ends up treating certain concepts as a given when they really could use some more introduction.

I'm sorry but weren't you loreposting to hell and back when season 1 was airing.

Like the only games in the franschise I've had more than a passing interaction with is 1 and infinite. I don't get what needs elaboration in the vacuum of the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MiddleOne posted:

I'm sorry but weren't you loreposting to hell and back when season 1 was airing.

Like the only games in the franschise I've had more than a passing interaction with is 1 and infinite. I don't get what needs elaboration in the vacuum of the show.

I was loreposting back then I'll continue loreposting in the present. I do, however, try to imagine what the show looks like to someone who doesn't have a dedicated Halo Lore (tm) section in their brain. What is someone whose only knowledge of Halo being "green man shoot aliens" going to think of Kwan's dad and the Insurrection.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 27, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think the sudden thrusting of ONI into the foreground in s2 kinda comes out of nowhere and I don't think in either season they've said the words "Office of Naval Intelligence." Maybe I'm stupid and missed something but I don't remember season 1 ever establishing that all of the control room scenes and interrogations and meetings all took place in an ONI facility that is apparently the same one in season 2. I could see all of that being a bit confusing to someone without background knowledge. Same with the "Spartans never die" thing, they have Ackerson say it RE: Cobalt team and then in the next scene they have John say it but they don't explain why that is a thing. Maybe I'm not giving viewers enough credit and they can put together it's a morale thing to never have a Spartan listed as KIA but imo that is maybe something that should have gotten a quick line from an officer explaining the rationale behind it.

The Insurgency subplot in s1 just felt really whack, they don't do nearly enough to show that the UNSC is Bad™ and instead make it so that Vinsher is the singular bad guy and he isn't even with the UNSC. I don't know if a regular viewer sees the human government as bad, because in the games they aren't revealed to be bad until like 4 (if you read the books you figure it out by the first one) but the show is jumping around the timeline and grabbing plot points from all over so it seems like this singular planet is rebelling against it's oppressive weirdo governor instead of a coordinated effort across the outer colonies against the pseudo-Starship Troopers or Imperium of Man military dictatorship.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

as its being discussed, can someone tell me what happened in picard after he died but they uploaded his consciousness into a robot body with the exact same appearance, abilities, and life expectancy of his regular body

Certainly, they pretend it never happened and never mention it again, except for maybe a single ADR'd line at one point to cover an obvious plot hole.

Then in the second season they time travel to current day, because it's cheap to film and the showrunner left and took the budget with him. They decide last minute to focus the second season on the Borg again because they are creatively bankrupt.

The showrunner then came back for season 3, this time with enough budget to have the original TNG cast appear, but not before kicking out all the other main characters from the first two seasons to fund them. They then decided to fight the Borg yet again, completely ignoring all the Borg related plot from the first or second seasons, treating it like it never happened.

The series ends with a cut and paste job from Return of the Jedi, where the Enterprise destroys the Death Star reactor. Fans mark out over this dumb moment so much that they seem to forget the rest of the series was absolutely terrible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I do, however, try to imagine what the show looks like to someone who doesn't have a dedicated Halo Lore (tm) section in their brain

It's fine and I like it. My personal context is that I've played the first game maybe twice in my lifetime, and the second game once.

Arc Hammer posted:

What is someone whose only knowledge of Halo being "green man shoot aliens" going to think of Kwan's dad and the Insurrection.

Humanity is ruled under a fash heel and Kwan's dad is a leader of one of multiple factions who are in conflict with the boot.

Edit: The ONI are evil science CIA and they do things like kidnap children, run propaganda and employ Lady Mengele. There's some intermural conflict with the military.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2024

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I don't think the show needs more lore dumps, or really necessarily to explain in detail what is going on - it's better when it shows, not tells.

I think they just misstepped in the first season starting X years into a war with the Covenant, then focusing on human issues and not really stressing the extinction level danger to humanity in general. It made all other plot points seem unimportant in the face of the big one.

They also rushed Master Chief from loyal soldier to disobeying orders and going rogue, without spending any time establishing his character and why this is a huge deal.

I think if they'd set the show earlier in the timeline, say having the Spartans fighting the insurgents, and discovered the Covenant asking the way - much of the plot would have worked better.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think they just misstepped in the first season starting X years into a war with the Covenant, then focusing on human issues and not really stressing the extinction level danger to humanity in general. It made all other plot points seem unimportant in the face of the big one.

They also rushed Master Chief from loyal soldier to disobeying orders and going rogue, without spending any time establishing his character and why this is a huge deal.

I think if they'd set the show earlier in the timeline, say having the Spartans fighting the insurgents, and discovered the Covenant asking the way - much of the plot would have worked better.

Yeah, it feels lame to sit here and go "why didnt they do what I wanted with the show" but starting the show pre-Covenant seems like it would have fit the general vibes they were going for better. Adapting Contact Harvest and getting some Johnson screen time would have owned.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's fine and I like it. My personal context is that I've played the first game maybe twice in my lifetime, and the second game once.

Humanity is ruled under a fash heel and Kwan's dad is a leader of one of multiple factions who are in conflict with the boot.

Edit: The ONI are evil science CIA and they do things like kidnap children, run propaganda and employ Lady Mengele. There's some intermural conflict with the military.

Yeah this is all conveyed in text and subtext, don't think the show needs clunky exposition to tell us "fascism bad." The exact same people are going to miss the point and just think the show is about Spartans being badass regardless.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Well, the Deep State did just steal John’s armor, if you want to split hairs.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Watching the show now has me playing through the MCC on co-op with my buddy, Halo rocks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch out for Rocket Launcher flood.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arc Hammer posted:

Good riddance to Madrigal sometimes a glassing is a blessing in disguise. No mournful piano solos about an extended siege.

Nah, I feel they could easily have gone back to that one settlement where Kwai was from at least half a dozen mores times.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Arc Hammer posted:

That one mofo who pops out as you're on the bridge to the final generator...

:allears:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Isometric Bacon posted:

Certainly, they pretend it never happened and never mention it again, except for maybe a single ADR'd line at one point to cover an obvious plot hole.

Then in the second season they time travel to current day, because it's cheap to film and the showrunner left and took the budget with him. They decide last minute to focus the second season on the Borg again because they are creatively bankrupt.

The showrunner then came back for season 3, this time with enough budget to have the original TNG cast appear, but not before kicking out all the other main characters from the first two seasons to fund them. They then decided to fight the Borg yet again, completely ignoring all the Borg related plot from the first or second seasons, treating it like it never happened.

The series ends with a cut and paste job from Return of the Jedi, where the Enterprise destroys the Death Star reactor. Fans mark out over this dumb moment so much that they seem to forget the rest of the series was absolutely terrible.

Thank you for the update. I think i will decline watching seasons two and three.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Picard really is bad.

I mean, a lot of Trek isn't good - and I love the poo poo out of the shows* - but Picard is trash.

Worse - it's mystery box bullshit. Nothing has a reason to exist other than as a mystery to move the plot to the next mystery which makes no sense, which moves the plot to the next mystery, etc.

That said, if you want to watch a good live action Trek, Strange New Worlds is great. The cast have insanely good chemistry and the episodes are a lot of fun to watch. It's everything Trek should be.

* Picard and Discovery excepted.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Even after several months (a year?) I still can't believe Picard's story ended with the crew pulling some sicc drifts in the Ent D, flying around inside an exploding borg gigacube that's been secretly living inside the red spot of Jupiter for god knows how long. And so many people loved it. That's the kind of poo poo RLM would dream up while they're drunk and trying to predict the dumbest, worst possible idea the showrunners could have gone with.

Picard was the god drat worst.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah, it feels lame to sit here and go "why didnt they do what I wanted with the show" but starting the show pre-Covenant seems like it would have fit the general vibes they were going for better. Adapting Contact Harvest and getting some Johnson screen time would have owned.

I sort of understand why they didn't just want to adapt The Fall of Reach book, but...everything they're doing was done better in a video game tie-in book written in like four weeks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

counterfeitsaint posted:

Even after several months (a year?) I still can't believe Picard's story ended with the crew pulling some sicc drifts in the Ent D, flying around inside an exploding borg gigacube that's been secretly living inside the red spot of Jupiter for god knows how long. And so many people loved it. That's the kind of poo poo RLM would dream up while they're drunk and trying to predict the dumbest, worst possible idea the showrunners could have gone with.

Don't forget that the entire third season's plot revolved around Picard having Borg cum.

Cum which was then injected into all the young people in Starfleet to turn them into non-cybernetic Borg*.

* which, yes, is a total contradiction in terms.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I'm not even slightly surprised given I've seen all the episode titles for the rest of the season but I blinked a bit when I got a P+ advertisement during a podcast today that just bluntly said "In season 2 of Halo, the Master Chief finally arrives at the alien structure only previously seen in visions.".

:waycool: thanks for the heads up I guess

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Seemlar posted:

I'm not even slightly surprised given I've seen all the episode titles for the rest of the season but I blinked a bit when I got a P+ advertisement during a podcast today that just bluntly said "In season 2 of Halo, the Master Chief finally arrives at the alien structure only previously seen in visions.".

"In the closing moments of season two..."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

It also mostly ignores the first two seasons so you can have the dopamine "I remember this" hit from the original cast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Every trek series set after DS9 fills me with apprehension because literally every time (until Lower Decks) another show has touched a story or character from DS9 it has been for the worse.

And sometimes even stories set before DS9 considering how terrible every other appearance of Section 31 has been.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

We're doing Heroic because Legendary just seems like it would take too long and we finished 1 pretty quickly and are now most of the way through 2. 2 was smooth sailing other than some sniper jackal shenanigans but oh my god as soon as the Flood combat forms with rocket launchers and shotguns started popping up in Quarantine Zone lmao. The single biggest "gently caress you" enemy in the games so far has been when you come around a tunnel in QZ and there's a Scorpion just already looking at you and there's no cover at all, that was pretty funny 'I forgot about that guy.'

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 28, 2024

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Seemlar posted:

Alien structure is a strange name for grunt bussy, grussy

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's actually something RLM would dream up thinking it's a good idea, because they loved it. RLM are hacks.

I thought season 1 and 2 were vaguely fun, season 3 got turbo dumb though.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Discovery had a Klingon woman gently caress Clem Fandango with fully visible Klingon tits for some reason.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

grittyreboot posted:

Discovery had a Klingon woman gently caress Clem Fandango with fully visible Klingon tits for some reason.

Didn't she have extra nipples too, or razor nipples or something?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
She just had mostly regular nipples, kinda carapacey I guess. Also it wasn't just sex it was really creepy surgery fetish rape. She was like breaking and removing parts of his bones to make him smaller and pass for a human cause he was secretly a klingon. Also changing his DNA into human DNA which somehow requires a circular saw and must be done while awake and not under anesthesia. While loving. The loving part might have just been her personal preference and not strictly necessary. Klingon medicine is messed up.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
When Sisko said “we are explorers” I don’t think he meant “this franchise is for cenobites”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Makee’s bodyguard identified as the Arbiter in the subtitles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Laera Negan

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gonz posted:

Makee’s bodyguard identified as the Arbiter in the subtitles.

We've known this, haven't we? He named himself a few episodes ago, and it's not the one from the games, who was specifically the arbiter of the Halo

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Covenant only appoint them when there's crucial poo poo going on that needs sorting by someone hyper competent, they wouldn't really need one yet because they've been kicking the humans' arse all over the shop for decades, no? Our boy only gets the job because they need someone to take care of Bob Morton on the quiet once 343GS starts spilling the beans after the events of the first game.

Don't mind them introducing the character early but the position? Hell naw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Introducing a new Arbiter is just the Covenant equivalent of introducing a new Spartan team. Same happened with the dickhead arbiter from Halo Wars, he really didn't need to be there but they wanted a recognizable brand staple to put in their story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Not voiced by Keith David? Not the Arbiter.