Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you guessed the guys who invented the leveraged buyout with a long trail of destroyed companies in their wake, you'd be right! :suicide:

eta: a page snipe I'll stand by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

It really feels like there's a moment for Microsoft and Citrix to step up and bother to compete but yeah, can't see it.

Citrix already got sold to PE in 2022 and has seen nasty increases. MS really wants us to try out Azure Stack HCI + AVD and we're probably going to go pilot it. Weeeee

It's not a great time to have a need for on prem VDI with vGPU.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Had a phone screening today. Went great, dude said he had a ton of applicants and interviews to do, but told me I crushed it and was already shortlisted for the spot. :yotj: and moving may be in my future afterall. Pay is on low end of my acceptable range, but giant believer in internal promotion and it's government so it's probably not going away anytime soon. Could do worse. 75-80% remote and no on-call, too.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Working on a job description, but realized I still had my old resume in the jobs platform so lol I hope they check if that's been updated.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Citrix already got sold to PE in 2022 and has seen nasty increases. MS really wants us to try out Azure Stack HCI + AVD and we're probably going to go pilot it. Weeeee

It's not a great time to have a need for on prem VDI with vGPU.

Citrix dropped their SDWAN product not long after we started using it. So we moved to Vmware/Velo and look what happened.

What is funny is Citrix likes to pretend they still have people around to support the Sdwan product, but everyone knows they are all gone. But we have a manager at work who is convinced that if we contact support, they'll fix a problem we are having.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the best decisions we made was to never contact Citrix but to call a consulting shop that specializes in Citrix whenever we have issues.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

One of the best decisions we made was to never contact Citrix but to call a consulting shop that specializes in Citrix whenever we have issues.

Our Citrix team has that for their stuff, but for the network gear, its just us.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Haha guess who Broadcom is selling VMWare EUC to.

https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2024/02/broadcoms-euc-division-embraces-its-future-as-a-standalone-business.html

If you guessed the guys who invented the leveraged buyout with a long trail of destroyed companies in their wake, you'd be right! :suicide:

I'll be silently mourning Horizon. Been working with it and teaching it since it was VMware VDM 2.7

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CitizenKain posted:

Citrix dropped their SDWAN product not long after we started using it. So we moved to Vmware/Velo and look what happened.

Keep us posted on what you’re going to migrate to next, so we know what not to do :cheers:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

RFC posted:

I'll be silently mourning Horizon. Been working with it and teaching it since it was VMware VDM 2.7
We're still using Horizon view. But the shop is moving towards epic whether we want to or not and the prevailing view is epic doesn't allow that, or that the hospital we're semi-attached to doesn't allow that, or something. IDK, I haven't been involved in planning that. Hopefully I'll be gone in a month and won't have to worry about that poo poo.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like Broadcom is killing off CarbonBlack too!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Gotta source for that?

drat i really liked CB before they got acquired.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mustache Ride posted:

Gotta source for that?

it's already been spun off internally to stand on its own two feet, which trivially it cannot do

CB will be written off as a massive loss recovery tax benefit at the sale price, so it's not even like our society is going to be compensated for the murder

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

but hey, so long as the looting and pillaging doesn't involve swords and guns, it's totally legal and that's what freedom looks like, right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Foreign power: we are going to cripple the competitiveness of a very strong player in one of your larger industrial markets

USA: oh my God yes Daddy please Daddy are you going to cut us a big check daddy?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Justice Department: can you provide more details for your business plan in the short and medium-term going forward with the acquisition?

Broadcom: no, but we promise to lay off a ton of loving workers, punishing them f--

Justice Department: -- punishing them for having the gall to take advantage of a strong labor market, oh my God thank you so much :jackbud:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 27, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spinning off all the stuff that you gave away free to get big VMware deals over the line to be self-sufficient sounds like a great idea, come back to me when we've got all the evidence of it going really well

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Gotta source for that?

Theres a couple articles out there on it - https://www.techzine.eu/news/infrastructure/116899/carbon-black-no-longer-for-sale-broadcom-prepares-major-layoffs/ was the first that popped up for me.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does anyone have experience with language translation earbuds or similar speech translation products? We're looking at a couple products from Timekettle, but can't get a good read on how well it actually works.

Similarly, any recs for offline document translation programs? The client has concerns about leaking trade secrets to a third party, but we can live with the quality issues that come with a machine translation as long as it's fully offline.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
OpenAI's Whisper Speech to Text can do translations I believe and you can see it up locally so it's fully offline?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Additionally huggingface will have more models for other things (like documents, OCR, etc) that can possibly be used offline as well

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

it's already been spun off internally to stand on its own two feet, which trivially it cannot do

CB will be written off as a massive loss recovery tax benefit at the sale price, so it's not even like our society is going to be compensated for the murder

If they don't sell it, I assume they'll strip it to the bone then fold it into Broadcom's amazing security product everyone likes, Symantec.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Presented to the whole org again, and you know what I really love? Last second schedule changes because a senior manager felt like it that means I presented a half hour before I was planned to. What's the point of an agenda if nobody follows it >.<

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Presented to the whole org again, and you know what I really love? Last second schedule changes because a senior manager felt like it that means I presented a half hour before I was planned to. What's the point of an agenda if nobody follows it >.<

Look at mr fancy over here, with an "agenda"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Had one of those days today where you are just insanely productive. I knocked out some issues that were sitting on the backburner for months. One of those "good" days.

Which means tomorrow....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You've earned that Do gently caress All day

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Had one of those days today where you are just insanely productive. I knocked out some issues that were sitting on the backburner for months. One of those "good" days.

Which means tomorrow....

... you're doing precisely gently caress all useful work? and that's okay :glomp:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Hmm, definitely not what I was hinting at but I like the positive attitudes :toot:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hmm, definitely not what I was hinting at but I like the positive attitudes :toot:

Makes sense, they'd expect you to do that everyday.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

can you give zscaler private access a look next

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

post hole digger posted:

can you give zscaler private access a look next

:hmmyes:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Ah wait, is VMware dropping Velo? My place uses that for half their sites lmao.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah wait, is VMware dropping Velo? My place uses that for half their sites lmao.

I don't think they are dropping it, but our pricing for the rest of our sites we need to turn up essentially doubled from the last quote. Which is something we knew would happen, and why we requested we just get all the hardware in one go instead of waiting.

LochNessMonster posted:

Keep us posted on what you’re going to migrate to next, so we know what not to do :cheers:

Related story, all of our core switching is Juniper, and we had almost signed a contract to replace old gear with new stuff. Then HPE stepped in.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CitizenKain posted:

Related story, all of our core switching is Juniper, and we had almost signed a contract to replace old gear with new stuff. Then HPE stepped in.

I’ve got just short of a decade of experience with very nice software that got bought by HP (pre HPE/HPI split). Support went from excellent to burning dumpster over the matter of a year. We went from early adaptor, being a reference case for them, speaking on conferences multiple times a year and my team having biweekly calls with their dev team to “computer-says-no”.

Pricing went way up, of course. Development of the products stalled and eventually they sold it again. By the looks of it, it’s gaining some traction again as I’m getting recruiters asking me if I still work with those applications.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I completely forgot that HPE is hoovering up Juniper. Blegh

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Obligatory - Extreme has pretty good gear these days, and shortest path bridging is a game changer for network design.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
My favorite tickets are “please exclude the President of the company like we do the CEO from our security policies as they don’t want to be inconvenienced.”

Just swell.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We just got our E&Y security assessment that was ordered by our PE backers and it is shittier and less comprehensive than the one we got for free from some MSP that is trying to get our business. God consulting is such a scam lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The big 4 really is nothing but grift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm being forced to learn terraform and AWS at the same time. Boss wants us to basically make this KASM deployment https://github.com/kasmtech/terraform/tree/develop/aws/standard, is there an easy way to calculate what the cost of running this deployment is? I have a 60$ lab budget help goon friends.