Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

His irons on 15 and 16 were peak Hideki ball striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

I guess it depends on what you need a smart watch for, but I daily drive my S62 as my watch. I’ve even had half a dozen or so folks talk to me about golf / the watch when they realize it’s a Garmin Approach.

Me too, it tells me how bad I am at being an active member of society

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Got to my first simulator this winter. They're better than nothing.....but still don't come close to being a substitute for the real thing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gotta win lotto so I can buy one of those nutso robotic golf sims with the different surfaces and tilting tee box for different lie simulations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:hellyeah:

Got my first ever birdie today. Par 3 course tho. 60m lobbed shot into the green and a basic 3 footer to sink it.

Took me about 2.5 months from when I first played golf to get my first birdie.

I jumped and hooted like a fool when it happened. It was somewhat bittersweet because I lipped out an earlier birdie chance that same round on a 125m hole which would have been far more impressive for a first birdie, but beggars can't be choosers.

Pretty clear my uncle's irons suit me better.

Edit

Watching the final round. Holy crap Hideki woke up and chose violence that morning. That hit into the green at the 15th... :kstare:

16... :kstare: :kstare:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 19, 2024

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I finally paid up to establish my USGA GHIN. Now, all I can think about is getting that number to go down. I read through some of the materials, and they say a golfer will play to their handicap around 20% of the time. Neat to know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vertical drop, horizontal tug

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I know it’s rookie numbers, but this is baby’s first time going over 200.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Wrapping up in Opelika, Grand National is really amazing. I have to get back here in season when it’s not brown Bermuda with overseeded fairways.

https://imgur.com/a/4zxGrFs

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oodles posted:

I know it’s rookie numbers, but this is baby’s first time going over 200.

Grats man, feels good to reach a goal, good for you for sticking with it.

In unrelated news I started PT today so I might be able to hit a ball (at all, much less 200 yards) in a few months.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Grats man, feels good to reach a goal, good for you for sticking with it.

In unrelated news I started PT today so I might be able to hit a ball (at all, much less 200 yards) in a few months.

Got my first full 18 round this Sunday after stopping for the winter. Really excited to see if I can break 100.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
We've had a lot more Denver snow than normal for February. I get to play tomorrow, no carts allowed, so I get to walk in wet fairways, but I get to play, so net win.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Local course is opening again this upcoming Tuesday (February 27th). This is the first time in my golfing life that I believe I've seen metro (Minneapolis) area courses opening in December, January, and February due to abnormally warm weather.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went back to the simulator after work today to try out some of the courses now that I have some idea of how the software works. So I played TPC sawgrass.

Made the island on the 17th on the first try and felt pretty smug about it, honestly.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Woof. Wore my rain shoes, expecting wet fairways. Nope. And I've never walked a round in these non-breathing, somewhat stiffer shoes. Quit after twelve when the blisters were on both feet and too painful.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Played well, think when I’m off the stupid winter setup I should break 100 no bother.

Also the greens were frozen solid, like putting on concrete.

And managed to get round in 2 hours. Which is a nice demonstrator to my wife that I can be out and back before the day begins, as it’s now light enough at 7 am to play.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jake Knapp is about to win the Mexico Open. Will be the only golfer in modern stat history to win after hitting only TWO fairways in the final round.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Was out and about with the wife on Saturday and while she was shopping I wandered into the PGA Superstore and walked out with this guy.

Played a round with it on Sunday and as much as I hate to say the Scotty is leaving the bag and this guy is staying. I know it’s only own round but I was making a lot more putts than I normally do. Feels like I’m able to hit the line I want much easier with this. Off center hits also aren’t as punished as they were with the Scotty. Had 14 putts on the front 9 with 4 1 putts and 3 of those were outside 10’. I was averaging 33.31 putts per hole and had 29 putts this round. We will see if this trend holds up but I’m super excited about putting right now.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
I just bought my second LAB DF2 this winter. My putting was atrocious, so I figured I'd try something super forgiving. So I bought a stock LAB that were close to my specs (according to their online fitting.) I fell in love with my UFO branding iron. I've become deadly inside of 10 feet.
But I always had that "it wasn't exactly my specs and what would an upgraded shaft do for me?" This new one just feels...right in my hands. I can't wait to get it out on the course once it warms up!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Of course there's a SA Golf Thread :getin:

I'm a newer golfer, one of those COVID golfers, you'd say. Got the itch in 2022, and then kinda went a little nuts in 2023. Got a coupon from a friend for 40% off anything in the entire cobra golf store, and as a gift to myself bought an entire bag of clubs and a KS1 putter.

Spent most of the summer hitting in the 100s, joined a local private simclub, got more lessons, and shot an 87 at the old course last week, my best score (on a sim) so far. Something finally clicked with how i was swinging, which means that next time i try to play i'm gonna shoot awful, top the ball, and my slice is coming back with a vengeance, but my driver started going 200+ and straight, instead of 170 and 40 yards right.

Ignore the triple on 17, you gotta go over the hotel but stay left enough to be not OB, and i was OB many many times, so i tripled myself out (that was the auto concede setting i had on)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

Was out and about with the wife on Saturday and while she was shopping I wandered into the PGA Superstore and walked out with this guy.

Played a round with it on Sunday and as much as I hate to say the Scotty is leaving the bag and this guy is staying. I know it’s only own round but I was making a lot more putts than I normally do. Feels like I’m able to hit the line I want much easier with this. Off center hits also aren’t as punished as they were with the Scotty. Had 14 putts on the front 9 with 4 1 putts and 3 of those were outside 10’. I was averaging 33.31 putts per hole and had 29 putts this round. We will see if this trend holds up but I’m super excited about putting right now.
I'm gonna buy a lab soon, i can feel my resistance waning every time I even look at a picture of one, much less hold one in a store, just haven't settled on which one. I'm thinking the new DF3

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

mattfl posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/WUM3s90gdo8?si=lzhd0et56nkAUFGa

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

That’s awesome.

There is an Ulta next to my PGA store, she goes in there and I go in the PGA store and we have an agreement not to talk about what happens in either store lol

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iNteg posted:

Of course there's a SA Golf Thread :getin:

I'm a newer golfer, one of those COVID golfers, you'd say. Got the itch in 2022, and then kinda went a little nuts in 2023. Got a coupon from a friend for 40% off anything in the entire cobra golf store, and as a gift to myself bought an entire bag of clubs and a KS1 putter.

Spent most of the summer hitting in the 100s, joined a local private simclub, got more lessons, and shot an 87 at the old course last week, my best score (on a sim) so far. Something finally clicked with how i was swinging, which means that next time i try to play i'm gonna shoot awful, top the ball, and my slice is coming back with a vengeance, but my driver started going 200+ and straight, instead of 170 and 40 yards right.

Ignore the triple on 17, you gotta go over the hotel but stay left enough to be not OB, and i was OB many many times, so i tripled myself out (that was the auto concede setting i had on)

Don't lose it when you shoot a 105 on the course this year.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

LAB putters are rapidly invading every golf bag here in LA.

The last two weekends in a row I've had to play in our match play league against a guy who has that huge Mezz Max in bright red. I beat him 6&5 and 5&4 and almost got him to snap it over his knee the 2nd round when he missed a 3 footer to keep the match alive ;)

Definitely going to check them out next time I'm in a store that has some, but I'm avoiding it for now since every time I try some new stupid looking putter I end up really liking whatever it is.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
I just did a search on Lab putters on the Golftown website and holy poo poo those are expensive. There were two in stock in my store and they were 799 and 899. I know Canada bucks are worth as much, but that’s a lot.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

daslog posted:

Don't lose it when you shoot a 105 on the course this year.

I plan to shoot 120 on the course this year, at least multiple times.

Edit: those are the days when i switch to "Smiley face for good hole, frowny face for bad hole"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If they held "The Match" but nobody knew it was on, did they really hold it?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

iNteg posted:

I plan to shoot 120 on the course this year, at least multiple times.

Edit: those are the days when i switch to "Smiley face for good hole, frowny face for bad hole"

They should add this to the grint.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

If they held "The Match" but nobody knew it was on, did they really hold it?

The wife and I watched a bit of it, it was pretty entertaining.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

The wife and I watched a bit of it, it was pretty entertaining.

Homa is pretty funny and I thought it was unfair to the ladies to have to tee off the same distance as the men on the 183 yard par 3.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had a 10am tee time. Called the course, they were open, no frost delay. Rang thru to the pro shop, he told me I was the only guy on the tee sheet because snow and rain predicted for later in the morning. Offered to let me go out as soon as I got there, would have a cart for me. This is what the course looked like when I got there 20 minutes later.

PXL_20240227_160202471 by B. B., on Flickr

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

so how'd you shoot?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
you bought a box of bright red supersofts, and went for it, right?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

GEMorris posted:

Had an appendectomy that totally ruined my off season golf plan. Got back on the simulator finally and at least my driver speed is still >100. Was worried I would see more regression there.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

iNteg posted:

you bought a box of bright red supersofts, and went for it, right?

saintonan posted:

so how'd you shoot?

Those light-weights closed the course. Can you imagine? Two inches in a half-hour and they call it quits.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

torgeaux posted:

Those light-weights closed the course. Can you imagine? Two inches in a half-hour and they call it quits.

just like your mom Snow golf is great as long as there isn't too much wind.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

LAB putters are rapidly invading every golf bag here in LA.

The last two weekends in a row I've had to play in our match play league against a guy who has that huge Mezz Max in bright red. I beat him 6&5 and 5&4 and almost got him to snap it over his knee the 2nd round when he missed a 3 footer to keep the match alive ;)

Definitely going to check them out next time I'm in a store that has some, but I'm avoiding it for now since every time I try some new stupid looking putter I end up really liking whatever it is.

That would have been an expensive snap, these things are not cheap at all lol

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used Scotty??

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

mattfl posted:

That would have been an expensive snap, these things are not cheap at all lol

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used Scotty??

which scotty/specs? I might be interested if the price is right. using this KS1 is nice, but i'd like a heavier blade and i dont wanna spend the 80 bucks for the weight kit for the KS1, so why not spend a few hundred on a Scotty cameron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

saintonan posted:

just like your mom Snow golf is great as long as there isn't too much wind.

Yesterday was low 60's, 30+ mph winds and a wild-fire alert. Colorado is just that way.