Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rjmccall posted:

usually, totally fine, just gotta tell people they’re off-topic about once a day. sometimes just the absolute worst

the worst thing is all the posts. Theyre just everywhere and there's just no end to em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

the worst thing is all the posts
boy howdy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it sucks enough just reading a website where it's mostly topics you're interested in posted by people you enjoy. imagine being forced to read only posts that nobody else wanted to read on topics you hate and posted by the worst people ever, who will try to track you down and harass you if you wrong them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
my old job used to have a huge forum and one time a user got really pissed about a moderation action of some kind and pulled the im a rich powerful rear end in a top hat move (he was some dick in charge of mlb digital lol) and tried complaining to corporate

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

i absolutely do not envy the people who have to do this on a forum with more than a few hundred posts a day of traffic, or that isn’t tied to people’s jobs in a way that keeps them mostly in line

tbh i think it being tied to work makes it work, i would assume one of the things making modding sa at least doable is that one can just remember that it basically is a useless waste of time for everyone so probing/banning someone is no big deal. presumably you can't reasonably ban anyone at all from a work forum.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I wrote a slackbot for work once that support staff could use to inspect some stats for user accounts and because it was super easy I made it throw in a snapshot of some of the user's public user generated content as an image attachment in the slack reply.

Then a senior guy from t&s parachuted in and pointed out to me that persisting user generated content even in internal-only super-private slack messages could cause no end of issues given some of the kinds of content users especially those who have come to the attention of support/t&s might be generating so I went back and with bowed head removed my cute free feature, and walked away from that whole interaction with a whole new appreciation and maybe commiseration for what the t&s people had to deal with all day.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbh i think it being tied to work makes it work, i would assume one of the things making modding sa at least doable is that one can just remember that it basically is a useless waste of time for everyone so probing/banning someone is no big deal. presumably you can't reasonably ban anyone at all from a work forum.

well it’s work regardless. but no, the fact that it’s a professional context (though still public — i’m talking about forums.swift.org here) does help a lot. i absolutely can ban people if they violate our community code of conduct, and i have, but people rarely test it because they often sign up with their real name, links to their job, etc. and don’t want being a jerk to blow back on them in real life. similarly if someone from work wanted to push the boundaries there i’d just tell them internally to knock it off and then escalate with their manager/hr if necessary

so yeah it’s basically easy mode, and we still get enough jerks that maybe 2-3 times a year it becomes some huge thing

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

rjmccall posted:

i absolutely do not envy the people who have to do this on a forum with more than a few hundred posts a day of traffic, or that isn’t tied to people’s jobs in a way that keeps them mostly in line

I have a volunteer role that involves moderating an 80-person whatsapp group and yeah most of the time it's fine but a few times a year it's just extremely lovely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol that’s why when a facebook group i started hit like 50k i left

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Smart

Anyway here's everything I know about trust and safety:

1) 2001-2003 era LiveJournal Abuse team (they were terrible)
2) When everyone whined about the lack of them on bluesky (the lack of t&s was terrible)

So it sounds like no matter what, posting is just a miserable lifestyle choice to make.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/i/status/1389037133038596099

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/MtStHelensWA/status/1762870836363685973

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

id say 'dont blow your top' but well

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/winrar_rarlab/status/1762776915637616958

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I would but my free trial has ended

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
winrar actually owns the competition

used to use 7zip but it let me down too often

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

echinopsis posted:

winrar actually owns the competition

used to use 7zip but it let me down too often

In what way? I don't use either very often so I don't know how they could "fail" besides not being able to unpack something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
7zip has failed with disk images before, it could open them but for some reason couldn’t fully unpack onto my drive

and it had a habit of unpacking the archive one place and then copying it to the destination, and if you didn’t have tons of space this was an issue, and this is also a slower method

it’s a long time ago so I can’t remember the specifics or maybe i’ve misremembered, but I tried winrar to fix these issue and since then I’ve never ever had an issue

the ONLY thing I wish any of them had was shell content menu that told you what the end result of unpacking would be

some archives have all the files in root and some have a single folder. without opening the file you cannot tell this, and I wish any of them would have a way of making it so regardless of how the person who made the archive made it, it’d unpack into a single folder in the same folder that you opened the archive in, and also didn’t create it with some old rear end date so that my folder that’s sorted by date doesn’t force it into some random
space not at the top of the window

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a passio

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

i come back to laugh at this one at least once a month now

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

echinopsis posted:

7zip has failed with disk images before, it could open them but for some reason couldn’t fully unpack onto my drive

and it had a habit of unpacking the archive one place and then copying it to the destination, and if you didn’t have tons of space this was an issue, and this is also a slower method

it’s a long time ago so I can’t remember the specifics or maybe i’ve misremembered, but I tried winrar to fix these issue and since then I’ve never ever had an issue

the ONLY thing I wish any of them had was shell content menu that told you what the end result of unpacking would be

some archives have all the files in root and some have a single folder. without opening the file you cannot tell this, and I wish any of them would have a way of making it so regardless of how the person who made the archive made it, it’d unpack into a single folder in the same folder that you opened the archive in, and also didn’t create it with some old rear end date so that my folder that’s sorted by date doesn’t force it into some random
space not at the top of the window
Interesting, thank you

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
https://bsky.app/profile/aedwardslevy.bsky.social/post/3kmo75emme42e

c0nc0rdance posted:

No-one has ever been able to replicate Gregor Mendel's observations of pea plants. They're a little "too perfect", lacking even random statistical noise that would have been expected from small sample sizes.

The big question: was it scientific fraud?

Ariel Edwards-Levy posted:

obviously it was pea-hacking

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/heyitswindy/status/1764023423485812995

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

even though there are a bunch of people in the thread saying yes i am from santiago and i remember this, given the state of twitter and the internet i just presume it's a good attempt at a viral ad now

i find it funny, anyway

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

this is actually me irl

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/PepitoTheCat/status/1763980265569894461

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

gabensraum posted:

even though there are a bunch of people in the thread saying yes i am from santiago and i remember this, given the state of twitter and the internet i just presume it's a good attempt at a viral ad now

i find it funny, anyway

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/comerciales-de-cerveza-cristal-ganan-premio-star-wars.16252031/

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattybtweets69/status/1764111035416383504

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.