Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

norp posted:

Isn't it more likely to be Russian air defence?

If both are shooting down Russian aircraft, aren't they practically the same at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thursday address from Putin. Will he annex transnostria?

"in 1533 Ivan the Terrible became Tsar-

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

In 69420 BCE, Ugg hit Ogg with a stick

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1762514462022492526#m

quote:

⚡️In the temporarily occupied Nova Kakhovka, explosions occurred at the entrance to the office of the occupying ‘United russia’ party and near a "polling station".

This was reported by the Center of National Resistance.

"The enemy is currently trying to hide the fact that occupation resistance forces are present in the temporarily occupied territories. Therefore, in order not to sow panic, the Russians are now claiming mythical UAVs that allegedly hit the objects, even though this is not true", – the CNS notes.
Oh no, anyway.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

RockWhisperer posted:

Michael Kofman and co were saying in a War on the Rocks episode that aircraft the shoot down numbers have been inflated throughout the war. The number of crashes as pointed out by Justin Bronk in the recent Perrin interview indicate that maintenance was being foregone from the high tempo of sorties especially during the Summer counteroffensive and Mig31s are in short supply, but I have my doubts on the aircraft numbers. It doesn’t seem as dire as Russia’s naval situation.
Su-34s are pretty old, with potentially decades of postponed maintenance, maybe there's a "plane falls from the sky" fuse thats burning out on them :shrug:

Also this is probably my own confirmation bias, but it seems like there's a spike in aircrafts downed after losing an A-50c. Its possible (maybe even probable) that the air sorties are planned and executed without coordinating with AWACS support, which would make them significantly more vulnerable to Ukraine AA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why did Ukraine get invaded? Let's start at the beginning..

When Caesar crossed the Rubicon...

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

In a CIA plot Paris gave the Apple of Discord to Aphrodite, which was used to machinate a western Greek invasion of traditional Russian land of Troy.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/yarotrof/status/1762536267588272154?s=20

my_war_crimes.mp4

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is it still being confined that these are military pilot losses and Russia is not strapping fresh minted commercial aviation co-pilots and arcade machine hi score setters into ejection seats?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Is it still being confined that these are military pilot losses and Russia is not strapping fresh minted commercial aviation co-pilots and arcade machine hi score setters into ejection seats?

There's nothing to support that. Russian jets don't have ejection seats.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thursday address from Putin. Will he annex transnostria?

Does this mean making GBS threads into both nostrils at once?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Does this mean making GBS threads into both nostrils at once?

Its a forbidden spell from the Vladdy Putter series.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why did Ukraine get invaded? Let's start at the beginning..

When Caesar crossed the Rubicon...

Menelaus: "Am i a joke to you?" :argh:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1762555409447931944
We didn't need that oil money anyway! :dumb:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

There's nothing to support that. Russian jets don't have ejection seats.

The Tu-95 literally uses a conveyor belt to throw the pilots out through the hatch for the front landing gear. You can see it behind the little curtain here

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Removed.

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 28, 2024

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The TU-95 is a huge bomber. Of course it doesn't have ejection seats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vampire Panties posted:

The Tu-95 literally uses a conveyor belt to throw the pilots out through the hatch for the front landing gear. You can see it behind the little curtain here

Is that the one with the drinkable coolant?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that the one with the drinkable coolant?

No, it's the one with the onboard crematorium.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

vatnik: "everything is drinkable tovarisch"

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Any word on Gerasimov?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Any word on Gerasimov?

At this point, probably drinkable as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That still permits exporting crude doesn’t it? And a fair chunk of refined products, just not the most valuable portion.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You generally want to export refined products, since they are worth more. If your refining capacity has been degraded so badly that you're no longer able to meet domestic demand, things aren't going very well in your petroleum sector.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

taking their oil and going home

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Any word on Gerasimov?

Yes. I was worried for a bit there he'd been replaced by someone competent, but I can rest easy now.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-top-general-visits-troops-ukraine-discuss-next-steps-2024-02-21/

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

The Lone Badger posted:

That still permits exporting crude doesn’t it? And a fair chunk of refined products, just not the most valuable portion.

Yes, and every non-gasoline petroleum product, but Russia isn't really in a position to forgo any billions of dollars.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

You generally want to export refined products, since they are worth more. If your refining capacity has been degraded so badly that you're no longer able to meet domestic demand, things aren't going very well in your petroleum sector.

I know their extraction capacity is supposed to be on a time-limit too since they're no longer able to access foreign parts and expertise to keep it going. Anyone know if effects are visible yet?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think I read somewhere (this thread?) that russia mostly exports crude petroleum products and imports most of their needs for refined products, possibly because regining is hard and dangerous in a vranyo klepto oligarchy? Is there any merit to that or am I misremembering?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1762754629228535924#m
:byetankie:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Karate Bastard posted:

I think I read somewhere (this thread?) that russia mostly exports crude petroleum products and imports most of their needs for refined products, possibly because regining is hard and dangerous in a vranyo klepto oligarchy? Is there any merit to that or am I misremembering?

There was some picture of the Russian economy and how the oligarchs structured it with resource extraction as the center and why it was designed to be that way. Just extracting gas/oil and shipping it out is the easiest way to make money and requires the least expertise (and therefore power) anywhere below the big bosses.
Profits may be higher overall if you build more refineries but the loss of power and control that would mean was seen as too much of a risk.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

CeeJee posted:

There was some picture of the Russian economy and how the oligarchs structured it with resource extraction as the center and why it was designed to be that way. Just extracting gas/oil and shipping it out is the easiest way to make money and requires the least expertise (and therefore power) anywhere below the big bosses.
Profits may be higher overall if you build more refineries but the loss of power and control that would mean was seen as too much of a risk.

In 2021, refined petroleum was 17% of exports, a bit larger than all Russian exports to China. I guess you could export the crude oil instead, but that would probably reduce margins.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Karate Bastard posted:

You might be thinking of Iran or Venezuela. Refined petroleum gross imports to Russia are relatively minuscule, at least according to the Harvard Atlas of economic complexity. They do export way more crude oil than distillates though.

While not critical for Russian state finances, the refinery strikes do increase the cost of supplying the military and deepen public discontent due to inflation.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1762771577467269593#m

quote:

Pro-russian military medic, and blogger Yuriy Yevich states that since he is not a fascist, sadly, he cannot send millions of civilians into concentration camps.

He says the only way to stop world wars is to burn everything up and beyond the English channel, and round up and hang everyone who spoke against Russia.

And only then the Europeans will stop touching Russians, though he didn't specify who touched him and which parts of his body.
Other people ran their mouths and are no longer here with us for various reasons. If you want to follow in their footsteps, be my guest.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

zone posted:

Other people ran their mouths and are no longer here with us for various reasons. If you want to follow in their footsteps, be my guest.

Impossible to even start taking him seriously.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

medic in the tradition of Mengele

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So Transnistrian "separatists" are going "help us, Mother Russia, we are being oppressed by the Moldovan homonazis". Seems familiar.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zone posted:

The way to stop a world war is to <describes a world war>

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

How very unfortunate for them that half their economy consists of a number of highly flammable targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

beer_war posted:

So Transnistrian "separatists" are going "help us, Mother Russia, we are being oppressed by the Moldovan homonazis". Seems familiar.
Ohhhh no, this is what Tsar Monke's Thursday announcement is going to be the subject of, isn't it? Here he comes to once more regale us with another irrelevant four-hour history lesson about how back in 14-forty-gently caress blah blah blah yadda... wrapped up with some poo poo-talk about "HiStOrIc RuSsIaN lAnDs" and "pRoTeCtInG rUsSiA's BoRdErS".

As incredibly unlikely as it is, I don't think I'd stop laughing if Moldova successfully held a surprise referendum for (re)unification with Romania to throw an enormous NATO-shaped spanner in the works. Bonus points if it's announced midway through Monke's pointless blathering.