Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Caros posted:

Just feels like white collar crime in general is something our system cannot deal with in a meaningful fashion.

not true. people are tirelessly working night and day to financially normalize it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So if the former judge person who's looking over trumps finances at the moment has a hard time liquidating his assets, can she like just burn them down for the insurance money?

She's a former judge I'm pretty sure she could get away with it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Caros posted:

If this tanks the case I think I legitimately have to believe in a God that hates me. Or the trump found some hosed up wishmaster gem.

Dead to right in Florida? Oh he got his hand picked judge willing to throw the case. Half his codependents plea in Georgia and it turns out the lead prosecutor hired her fuckboy and rather than simply admit to it and say it doesn't matter because he took a paycut to get the job it genuinely looks like they might have just perjured themselves.

I assume a comet is going to destroy a DC courthouse moments before the trial there is set to start.

Cannon is also using the scheduling of her trial to ice the DC case and is throwing a wrench into everything. It's completely possible Trump doesnt see any trial before the election unless I am missing something.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cr0y posted:

Cannon is also using the scheduling of her trial to ice the DC case and is throwing a wrench into everything. It's completely possible Trump doesnt see any trial before the election unless I am missing something.

Didn't the other judges just start scheduling through her stated scheduling, as like everyone else following, they know it's just made up bs and she's going to keep pushing back until after the election?

I know at least one judge, I think in the NY fraud case, who just said they cannons dates aren't firm and if they did end up being a schedule conflict they'd work it out closer to the time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This hush money trial is now going ahead because of Cannon's delay, to my recollection.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

by continuing to stall the trial again, and again, and again, judge cannon forces a delay on all other things across the universe. at first in small pieces of time ... and later in measures beyond eons. in this way, the heat death of the universe is forever postponed, and the miracle of form in creation continues our eternal dance

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Staluigi posted:

by continuing to stall the trial again, and again, and again, judge cannon forces a delay on all other things across the universe. at first in small pieces of time ... and later in measures beyond eons. in this way, the heat death of the universe is forever postponed, and the miracle of form in creation continues our eternal dance

Wait the big crunch isn't still a thing astrophysicists believe right? As if everything reveres back to the singularity after a certain countless number of endless eons, Cannon just needs delay enough that time has reversed past the point where trump committed the crimes so therefor the jury will be forced to find him not guilty!!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dr_rat posted:

Wait the big crunch isn't still a thing astrophysicists believe right?

at the moment, no, the universe's rate of expansion is increasing rather than static or decreasing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

at the moment, no, the universe's rate of expansion is increasing rather than static or decreasing.

Well that's gonna suck for who ever has to mop up the universe after it's all done.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Staluigi posted:

Lmfao :golfclap:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I thought Cannon was living dangerously because her ruling regarding witness identities were essentially pants-on-fire crazy and in blatant disregard of precedent?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

BigglesSWE posted:

I thought Cannon was living dangerously because her ruling regarding witness identities were essentially pants-on-fire crazy and in blatant disregard of precedent?

Maybe, but the speed of litigation is slower than the speed of politics.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigglesSWE posted:

Special Counsel made a motion for her to reconsider that ruling. They explained why she used the wrong standard and told her which standard was appropriate.

She hasn't ruled on that yet.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mdemone posted:

Special Counsel made a motion for her to reconsider that ruling. They explained why she used the wrong standard and told her which standard was appropriate.

She hasn't ruled on that yet.

She's worse than that judge who was scrolling and texting on her phone while actually in court. I can imagine Cannon playing video games in her chamber the entire day.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 27, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

V-Men posted:

She's worse than that judge who was scrolling and texting on her phone while actually in court. I can imagine her playing video games in her chamber the entire day.

lol at the idea of judges coming in on days they have no bench time to sit in their chambers unless they are the office judge for that week.

Maybe it has changed because I haven't been regularly going to the courthouse for a long time, but whenever I needed to contact a judge I had to get their judicial secretary to forward me to their cell phone if they weren't scheduled to be on the bench that day.

I would imagine Covid and Zoom only made it worse.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 27, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol at the idea of judges coming in on days they have no bench time to sit in their chambers unless they are the office judge for that week.

Maybe it has changed because I haven't been regularly going to the courthouse for a long time, but whenever I needed to contact a judge I had to get their judicial secretary to forward me to their cell phone if they weren't scheduled to be on the bench that day.

I would imagine Covid and Zoom only made it worse.

Just go to the golf course like everyone else when you want to talk to a judge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In her case, one of Trump's golf courses.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cr0y posted:

NY can't take anything that isn't based in NY

What about things that are cringe in NY :ohdear:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For some reason, this came to mind with the recent news about Trump's cases. No idea why.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Randalor posted:

For some reason, this came to mind with the recent news about Trump's cases. No idea why.

That looks cool. Where is that from?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Been a long time since I've seen it, but I think it's Metropolis.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Been a long time since I've seen it, but I think it's Metropolis.

Yeah, Metropolis. It's a good movie, people should watch it.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Metropolis is literally like the clay tablet epic of early films. Also goes to show just how much of a crutch modern films have for visual design with CGI everything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hot take maybe but I liked Metropolis better when it was less coherent and just a stream of imagery

And yeah the effects are amazing given their constraints. Look up how the Schufftan process works

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I never really got why that's the accepted theory. Shouldn't gravity eventually pull everything back together, given infinite time?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gort posted:

I never really got why that's the accepted theory. Shouldn't gravity eventually pull everything back together, given infinite time?

It should, but it doesn't. Something is pushing stuff apart and they don't really understand what.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gort posted:

I don’t know how far you got in physics but “gravity” in the Newtonian sense is a lot more complicated in the Standard Model. Especially because it behaves really, really differently if you have a lot of it (a black hole) or very little of it (sub-atomic particles).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Deteriorata posted:

It should, but it doesn't. Something is pushing stuff apart and they don't really understand what.
It's "economic anxiety", OP.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Right now what we understand about gravity/relativity and what we understand about quantum mechanics do not fit into the same theoretical framework, even though both of those things seem pretty ironclad based on our observations of natural phenomena. We just don't know why this is and we're still working on it

We poo-poo the idea that we've reached the End of History all the time but we're equally far from the End of Science

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gort posted:

that was the general thought until astronomers made observations of showing rate of expansion is increasing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

essentially we know something is out there because we can measure its effects, but we don't really any concrete explanations of what it is

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Some text book said that we mostly understand how the universe works, except for hot things, cold things, big things, small things, things we can't see, etc.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

that was the general thought until astronomers made observations of showing rate of expansion is increasing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

essentially we know something is out there because we can measure its effects, but we don't really any concrete explanations of what it is

Most Astrophysicists lean towards giant, galaxy spanning, lovercraftian, space monsters, just chilling all about, because they tend to be really dark colours, usually black, so hard to see.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

Most Astrophysicists lean towards giant, galaxy spanning, lovercraftian, space monsters, just chilling all about, because they tend to be really dark colours, usually black, so hard to see.

This seems bad for Donald Trump (?)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Morrow posted:

Some text book said that we mostly understand how the universe works, except for hot things, cold things, big things, small things, things we can't see, etc.

that's one of my favorite book openers. I've got it on my classroom door.

quote:

“Aristotle said a bunch of stuff that was wrong. Galileo and Newton fixed things up. Then Einstein broke everything again. Now, we’ve basically got it all worked out, except for small stuff, big stuff, hot stuff, cold stuff, fast stuff, heavy stuff, dark stuff, turbulence, and the concept of time”

― Zach Weinersmith, Science: Abridged Beyond the Point of Usefulness

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

V-Men posted:

She's worse than that judge who was scrolling and texting on her phone while actually in court. I can imagine Cannon playing video games in her chamber the entire day.

Just wait till the iphone generation gets old enough to become judges...

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Clarence Thomas sets a better example. No need for fancy electronics when you can just peace out of consciousness right in your seat and let the dreams entertain you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/live/UZKSRifybjg?si=igV1cnKFAa5jX_hf

The Fani Willis livestream stuff.

It begins.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

These objections are more granular than I've heard in law films. :aaa:

The back and forth is also hard to keep track of, jeez.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

that's one of my favorite book openers. I've got it on my classroom door.

Nature and Nature's law lay hid in night:
God said, "Let Newton be!," and all was light.

--Alexander Pope

It did not last: the Devil shouting "Ho,
Let Einstein be," restored the status quo.

--John Collings Squire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1762559278680830269