Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pron on VHS posted:

Whats going on here? Homage, coincidence, or a secret message?

Probably homage, since both movies are Spielberg films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah once everyone got out aggressively, my "do I need to stay as a witness for this?" went to HELL NO. When the other car tried to get away, I figured I could get the license plate and call that in. Funny to hear the dispatcher's response when I told her it was a blue lives matter plate. And her being absolutely confused when I gave permission for contact/follow-up but said I didn't want any personal information listed in any reports.

I think you’re AZ too, right? I really hate the proliferation of blue lives/red lives matter license plates, especially since as you mentioned, it’s almost always significantly increasing the chance that the person driving the car is a giant rear end in a top hat who thinks the rules apply to others, but not them (because, you know, they support blue lives!)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

I have been watching some extra TV in my idle hours lately due to burning out on reading, and gaming. I was watching the classic film The Equalizer on the TBS channel and I stood up like the Abe Lincoln meme and loudly proclaimed, "Martin Csokas is one of the best supporting actors of my lifetime"

If you're looking for stuff to watch the new Shogun miniseries drops on Hulu and FX today. Feel like that'd be right up your alley.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Pron on VHS posted:

I have been watching some extra TV in my idle hours lately due to burning out on reading, and gaming. I was watching the classic film The Equalizer on the TBS channel and I stood up like the Abe Lincoln meme and loudly proclaimed, "Martin Csokas is one of the best supporting actors of my lifetime"

I love me a good minor character actor, Stephen Tobolowski sitting pretty on top of that list

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

C-Euro posted:

If you're looking for stuff to watch the new Shogun miniseries drops on Hulu and FX today. Feel like that'd be right up your alley.

I am excited to watch this, op

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Got into copper on Sunday. First day out on the slopes yesterday and we went for like six hours. Worked up to a double black diamond. Hadnt been out west to ski since I was like 10. One of the guys in my group who is a fantastic skier mentioned I was doing pretty well but looked like I was “really fighting the mountain out there.”

Second day and my legs are useless. Fresh powder this morning and I couldn’t even keep my skis straight I’m so tired. I’m lying down in the room just to get the strength to crawl to the hot tub.

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1762579908075659381?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

It was also whiteout this morning. Currently in the middle of a projected 20 inches. I’ve never seen snow fall like this in my life.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canned Sunshine posted:

I think you’re AZ too, right? I really hate the proliferation of blue lives/red lives matter license plates, especially since as you mentioned, it’s almost always significantly increasing the chance that the person driving the car is a giant rear end in a top hat who thinks the rules apply to others, but not them (because, you know, they support blue lives!)

Yep, I'm in AZ. You're exactly right, unfortunately.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am excited to watch this, op

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

Unrelated, but I just found out Nedry from Jurassic Park wore the same clothes as The Goonies:

That's kind of a stretch as Hawaiian shirt, grey coat, and yellow rain coat are hardly distinctive or unique clothing choices.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Got into copper on Sunday. First day out on the slopes yesterday and we went for like six hours. Worked up to a double black diamond. Hadnt been out west to ski since I was like 10. One of the guys in my group who is a fantastic skier mentioned I was doing pretty well but looked like I was “really fighting the mountain out there.”

Second day and my legs are useless. Fresh powder this morning and I couldn’t even keep my skis straight I’m so tired. I’m lying down in the room just to get the strength to crawl to the hot tub.

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1762579908075659381?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

It was also whiteout this morning. Currently in the middle of a projected 20 inches. I’ve never seen snow fall like this in my life.

This has been me skiing for the past 2 years (my first two times out) with my son. First day good, legs dead for rest of the trip. Going to switch things up next time and ski together the first day and lessons on later days.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dang Fiz that’s awesome / gorgeous

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

… Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1762441724969070717

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1762089580851855412

Its like Fyre Fest Kidz Bop

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think artificial sweetners are one of the most studied food additives on the planet but every slow news day they find some idiot to trot out the "this causes cancer" or "diet drinks not better than normal"

But there's always the caveat that you physically cannot consume enough diet sodia to hit the levels of exposure you would need to over a prolonged period to be at risk and one study somewhere found that diet soft drink may contribute to a continuing habit of craving sugar and sweeter foods.

About the only thing diet soda does that's bad is, it's acidic so it'll rot your teeth if you don't brush your teeth and maintain good dental hygiene.

Not a doctor obvs but it comes up so often on podcasts, in articles on fitness pages and on and on the list goes I think its pretty settled at this point.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FizFashizzle posted:

:c00l::respek::c00l:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Thaddius the Large posted:

I love me a good minor character actor, Stephen Tobolowski sitting pretty on top of that list

My wife has been friendly acquaintances with his wife for about 30 years, we hung out with them at a cocktail party or something many years ago and he's a super pleasant and nice guy and really great at telling interesting stories about the stuff he's worked on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

gently caress yes, big Rocky Mountain snow rules.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've started biking again and I have no idea how I did this so much as a kid. My rear end hates me right now

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress yes, big Rocky Mountain snow rules.

The Colorado river basin lives for one more year!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s kind of funny how two years ago the west coast seemed to be on the verge of a huge water crisis and now they’ve had two straight years of really wet winters. I guess that’s the climate for you. I’m wondering what things will be long term. Will that area get wetter instead of dryer? I have no loving clue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s kind of funny how two years ago the west coast seemed to be on the verge of a huge water crisis and now they’ve had two straight years of really wet winters. I guess that’s the climate for you. I’m wondering what things will be long term. Will that area get wetter instead of dryer? I have no loving clue.

Rain doesn't actually help that much for water supply (at least in Washington, but I think it's also true in California and Oregon) we need snow in the mountains that then melts and slowly fills up natural and artificial reservoirs. Rain mostly just immediately goes into the Pacific ocean.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

IIRC the paper I did in college many eons ago, the pendulum will get more extreme over time. So crazy rain and flooding followed by intense droughts will be pretty normal by then. There's actual scientists studying this but yeah

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Rain doesn't actually help that much for water supply (at least in Washington, but I think it's also true in California and Oregon) we need snow in the mountains that then melts and slowly fills up natural and artificial reservoirs. Rain mostly just immediately goes into the Pacific ocean.

I thought California got a lot of snow too, up in the mountains where they need it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Qwijib0 posted:

Look I rafted the Arkansas last summer and it seemed fine /crisis

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I thought California got a lot of snow too, up in the mountains where they need it.

We do (in good years), but as everything warms up, more of it will fall as rain than snow and the snow will melt faster

Relatedly, since I'm a dumbass, I'm about to get myself stuck in this upcoming blizzard to attend a wedding near Tahoe

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The California mountain lake I live on gained about 10 feet of water in the last couple years, still 6 feet from full.

https://www.bbmwd.com/historical-lake-data

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 28, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

More podcast stuff but I guess there’s a push to make California more permeable instead of just shuttling all the rain directly into the pacific.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Qwijib0 posted:

Snowpack is average but antecedent water moisture is pretty poor so don’t expect great runoff. Maybe ~7 million ac-ft or so across the entire watershed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

C-Euro posted:

yes, but I want to reread the giant novel first. So maybe a year from now I will check it out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

They do, the other issue is water management policies where they grow a bazillion almonds for export.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Air Skwirl posted:

They do, the other issue is water management policies where they grow a bazillion almonds for export.

Don’t forget all of the alfalfa we also ship overseas!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Canned Sunshine posted:

Snowpack is average but antecedent water moisture is pretty poor so don’t expect great runoff. Maybe ~7 million ac-ft or so across the entire watershed.

At some point Phoenix and Tucson will need to go full water recycling.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
What the gently caress is up with this weather. We just had a line of tornado producing thunderstorms come through that are going to immediately be followed by snow.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Global warming baby. Learn to love it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Intruder posted:

I've started biking again and I have no idea how I did this so much as a kid. My rear end hates me right now

Your sit bones gotta get used to time in the saddle. Get some padded shorts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's so bizarre to me that every time I watch the new episode of John Oliver on max they immediately recommend Bill Maher. Like, it makes sense in that they're both technically "comedy shows covering news and politics," but jesus christ.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neither are funny and both are dumb as poo poo so it tracks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Do tell, what exactly has Oliver said or done that is dumb as poo poo?

His pieces seem very well done and put things into good perspective. I’m especially defensive of him because the pig butchering one opened my eyes to how the scammers are mainly slaves, etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I get attacking John Oliver for not being funny, I think he's funny but humor is very subjective. Bill Maher platforms fascists.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah funny vs unfunny I get. A majority of his jokes don’t land with me.

The dumb is where I’m unclear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Shogun status: it's good.