Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Presto posted:

The Borg stopped being interesting the moment they introduced the queen. Wtg guys, you missed the entire point.

They were never interesting. They shuffled around like idiots and were extremely single minded. They were constantly undone by a frankly insane order/programming to "ignore threats" that allowed the crew to repeatedly crawl around their ship guts and, surprise, become an eventual threat.

Their power came exclusively from literal plot armor

Hive minds are interesting IMO, but the borg are maybe the worst version of them.

I guess R&M's Unity was a pretty good hivemind, because it had humanity and flaws and such, but wasn't undone by some stupid "kill the queen and the rest follow suit" contrivance.

what a fukn :goonsay: snipe jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

bitterandtwisted posted:

Oompa Loompa doopa dee dethlab

Lol

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Oompa Loompa doopa dee dethlab

this looks like a photo at the very end of a creepypasta from 2011

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Just got back from Dunc part 2 and it was alright. At times it felt like nothing much was happening, then it felt like months have suddenly gone by and then they were speedrunning through the third act. Of course it looks and sounds massive and epic, and it's always nice to see a good scifi moopie of this scale on the big screen. I haven't read the book(s) so some of it was a little confusing to my already stupid brain but still, I enjoyed it, especially the underlying sinister vibe running through it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sure okay posted:

They were never interesting. They shuffled around like idiots and were extremely single minded. They were constantly undone by a frankly insane order/programming to "ignore threats" that allowed the crew to repeatedly crawl around their ship guts and, surprise, become an eventual threat.

Their power came exclusively from literal plot armor

Hive minds are interesting IMO, but the borg are maybe the worst version of them.

I guess R&M's Unity was a pretty good hivemind, because it had humanity and flaws and such, but wasn't undone by some stupid "kill the queen and the rest follow suit" contrivance.

what a fukn :goonsay: snipe jesus christ

I like when rick hosed the hivemine like hell yeah

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czrlr3dw2x3o

I can't stop laughing at this AI generated Gene Wilder homonculus or the story behind it. 40 bucks for the dashcon ball pit but it's Willy's Wonkaland.

Come with me
and you'll be
in a world of pure aggravation

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I like when rick hosed the hivemine like hell yeah

I don't remember this part of walking dead but I stopped watching after season 3

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not trolled not crying posted:

Just got back from Dunc part 2 and it was alright. At times it felt like nothing much was happening, then it felt like months have suddenly gone by and then they were speedrunning through the third act. Of course it looks and sounds massive and epic, and it's always nice to see a good scifi moopie of this scale on the big screen. I haven't read the book(s) so some of it was a little confusing to my already stupid brain but still, I enjoyed it, especially the underlying sinister vibe running through it.

The book is the same way most of the good stuff happens before Paul and his mom get stuck in the desert.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gutcruncher posted:

https://a.co/d/7loDZ6A

There’s a company that releases poo poo like this on bluray. The world is good.

Edit: https://a.co/d/cRbSoHL

Oh my

there are multiple companies that release poo poo like that on bluray

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/unmasking-the-idol-vsa

they also do extremely cool poo poo

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/existenz?_pos=1&_sid=3ee3bb411&_ss=r

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The book is the same way most of the good stuff happens before Paul and his mom get stuck in the desert.

Of course the worm god AV would say this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Kevin Coster is directing a four-movie epic about American expansion west during the Civil War. Parts 1 & 2 coming out this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsReoZMj1k

He spent $20 million of his own money on it and isn't getting paid for writing, directing or acting (I mean, he owns it, so he'll make a shitload if it does well).

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 27, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That's such a waste of costner it makes me sad. Various people can still get westerns made kevin, you're the only one who can bring baseball films into being

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's such a waste of costner it makes me sad. Various people can still get westerns made kevin, you're the only one who can bring baseball films into being

It's so strange that baseball is the most boring sport ever invented (aside from maybe those cricket games that take literal days), but baseball movies are usually pretty good.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's so strange that baseball is the most boring sport ever invented (aside from maybe those cricket games that take literal days), but baseball movies are usually pretty good.

Give baseball another shot

there’s a pitch clock now :dance:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Give baseball another shot

there’s a pitch clock now :dance:

lol no, not gonna watch a sport so boring the players have to take Ritalin to be able to pay attention to it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's all about the game within the game. wheels within wheels, plans within plans

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

lol no, not gonna watch a sport so boring the players have to take Ritalin to be able to pay attention to it

I think they were just trying to take speed and get away with it but I take your point

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I enjoy baseball 2 ways:

1) on a nice sunny day at the ballpark where the game is actually secondary
2) on a lovely rainy day when I have no kids to bug me and I don’t feel like doing anything other than sitting in a comfy chair and dozing off to something

It is a pretty chill sport. Maybe they could market it as ASMR to the kids these days or something.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Mozi posted:

it's all about the game within the game. wheels within wheels, plans within plans

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I enjoy baseball 2 ways:

1) on a nice sunny day at the ballpark where the game is actually secondary
2) on a lovely rainy day when I have no kids to bug me and I don’t feel like doing anything other than sitting in a comfy chair and dozing off to something

It is a pretty chill sport. Maybe they could market it as ASMR to the kids these days or something.

Oh I can go get drunk in the sun and ignore the game no problem.

Once at a minor league game I didn't realize the home team pitcher had a no-hitter going until he blew it in the 8th inning and everyone around us started moaning about it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

getting drunk at the ballpark rules and playoff baseball can be pretty fun, but lol at giving a poo poo about any one of the 600,000 regular season games.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

boiling an entire season of games down to two hours makes baseball more watchable you say?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
baseball is the ultimate background sport

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There's some particular brain malfunction that turns some people into Actual baseball fans who watch 100 games a season, and I say that as a baseball fan. I can't blame anyone for thinking baseball is boring because if you're not an Actual baseball fan it must be interminable.

Golf and auto racing also work this way

also star trek

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
baseball is one of the best sports to half watch while you do something else because it has a very steady rhythm

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Stink Billyums posted:

baseball is one of the best sports to half watch while you do something else
truly the baseball is the bad youtube movies of sports

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I love listening to a baseball game on AM radio, there's nothing quite like it.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Lmao David Zaslav just shuttered the entire news / current / affairs / journalism wing of his New Zealand media empire.

Hundreds out of jobs, little to replace it, and now weirdly enough all major NZ journalism is output through state owned networks right after we got a lovely right wing government (normal right wing, not quite American fascism poo poo).

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've found that most sports are boring until you bet money on the outcome and then they become very exciting.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

I've found that most sports are boring until you bet money on the outcome and then they become very exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75DwzmIPzY

even this?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TW that poo poo, I lost 5 Gs on Simon Skelton that day

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bowls is like one of the only interesting sports.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao David Zaslav just shuttered the entire news / current / affairs / journalism wing of his New Zealand media empire.

Hundreds out of jobs, little to replace it, and now weirdly enough all major NZ journalism is output through state owned networks right after we got a lovely right wing government (normal right wing, not quite American fascism poo poo).

If you want to know what’s going on in New Zealand can’t you just walk outside and yell “hey what’s going on?!” and if anybody in the country has something worth talking about they’ll yell back?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gripweed posted:

If you want to know what’s going on in New Zealand can’t you just walk outside and yell “hey what’s going on?!” and if anybody in the country has something worth talking about they’ll yell back?

Not in this economy

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Gutcruncher posted:

I love when people involved in the movies find their Best of the Worst episodes and comment on them. It’s fun to hear about the behind the scenes poo poo
I like that this post answers the... well not question but observation that New England Dad's Son Who Turns Into A Werewolf just sort of disappears from the movie at some point. Also it makes me think that out there somewhere there might be footage of Original Russ on the first couple days of shooting before he decided to say gently caress it and walk out and we got Movie Russ (who is fantastic).

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the book is very uneven in its pacing. It goes from a tightly plotted political intrigue that happens over a few months, to skipping over literal years in its second act.

The Villeneuve movies are probably the best adaption that we’ll ever get, but I would really have preferred something like an HBO miniseries instead.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
How about a sci fi channel miniseries?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Generally the fremen half of dune is a little shoddy but I really love the last scene. I don't know why frank herbert switched to writing a play then, but it owns

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Vim Fuego posted:

How about a sci fi channel miniseries?

I have a soft-spot for the sci-fi channel miniseries, its heart was in the right place, it just had a hilariously low budget. The whole thing has the energy of late 90’s video game FMV cutscenes.

I love how all of the desert scenes were obviously filmed on a soundstage that they just dumped a pile of sand onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Time for the boys to talk about the biggest, most relevant sci-fi event of the year

Star Trek The Next Generation on Blu-Ray