Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

CainFortea posted:

Eh, it's one of my least favorite supports. I'l

Cool

Anyway railgun's fun to use and feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I'd really like for sentry AI to not target dropships. It makes the sentries almost worthless vs bots, especially in eradication or defense missions with lots of dropships

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ninjewtsu posted:

wait the flamethrower is armor stripping??????

this changes everything

Armor ignoring not stripping.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The answer is always to buff other weapons so we all have more toys to play with I do not understand being against that in a pve game about blowing poo poo up

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Armor ignoring not stripping.

No, it will eventually damage the charger's armor.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anyone who thinks the railgun or breaker should be made less powerful should stop posting their uninformed bad opinions in this thread and starting arguments, thanks. They're going to be adding more harder difficulties to the game and its already borderline impossible for all but the best players in coordinated teams to beat the current hardest one, nerfing anything at this point would be hilariously shortsighted and dumb.

There are three broad categories of problems with weapon and enemy design as they intersect in regards to balance right now:

1) Too much of a focus on heavy armor as a regular threat particularly with bug missions. Starting on like difficulty 5 and going up from there, chargers get increasingly spammy to the point where most of your collective team loadout needs to be focused on ways to kill them if you don't want to have a bad time. This plays heavily to the strengths of specific weapons while invalidating those of others.

2) conversely, medium armor isn't enough of a thing, and the weapons that are supposed to be good at dealing with it especially the primaries are also kinda bad in addition to not having their niche respected. Weak spots are also way too easy to incidentally hit on the medium armored enemies that exist. This is a big part of why the breaker is such a one gun fits all situation. When light pen weapons can deal with all the trash and anti heavy weapons are a requirement to deal with everything else, that puts a pretty stringent restriction on what loadouts are worth taking.

3) Several of the niche weapons have a glaring flaw or something that just outright doesn't work correctly. The MG has so little ammo that it's less effective than nearly every primary at its objective of clearing trash, the flamethrower is better at killing yourself than enemies, the arc thrower sometimes doesn't fire at all, etc.

Lots of stuff could use buffs but enemy distribution is a huge part of the problem. More and faster weak enemies, as an example, would be a better threat at high difficulties than just spamming chargers and tanks, and allow for (and require) more special weapon variety than just railguns.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of, is there ever a reason to use the third-person aiming mode rather than iron sights? It seems massively less accurate.

Some guns like the defender SMG do not have garbage accuracy in 3rd person for drilling holes through robo skulls. It also won't sway like a drunk when crouch strafe shooting either. Plus, you know, people using shotguns a lot.

Using 1st person for anything but literal sniping is because of weapons with bad on purpose 3rd person aiming. Like the revolver from the premium warbond that is less accurate holding still, than running backwards crying firing my machine pistol on full auto killing two chainsaw bots.

CainFortea posted:

No, it will eventually damage the charger's armor.

If that were true, why is the most common thing I see about flamethrowers being "Totally able to solo a charger" also declare "You were just too lazy to empty your entire magazine". If it was stripping the armor you wouldn't need to magdump the flamethrower.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The answer is always to buff other weapons so we all have more toys to play with I do not understand being against that in a pve game about blowing poo poo up

Because challenge is good

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I honestly think the flamethrower is underrated, it can kill chargers, with any buffs to increase range or CC enemies due to being on fire it'll be even better.

I think part of the game's problem is that the anti-armor equipment is all stuff that players can lose on death (and then never hit tab to open the map and find where it is) which causes more armored enemies to stack up and kill them even more because they choose to stand and fight against the invulnerable enemies, there is no doubt in my mind that is causing the majority of complaints especially with newer players or players who cannot and will not likely ever go a mission without dying to something on a mission above challenging difficulty.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The only change railgun """needs""" from a balance standpoint is adding a backpack to power it. They can upgrade the scope at the same time since consuming the backpack slot is a relatively large nerf.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flashman posted:

You'll have a lot of fun with the 6(?) additional difficulties they'll be adding eventually, then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Section Z posted:

If that were true, why is the most common thing I see about flamethrowers being "Totally able to solo a charger" also declare "You were just too lazy to empty your entire magazine". If it was stripping the armor you wouldn't need to magdump the flamethrower.

Because by the time the armor is stripped off it's almost dead anyway and it's still faster to just keep the BBQ going.

Also the point of a lot of those videos is to show you the flamethrower killing a charger.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DeathSandwich posted:

Re: the support weapons. IMO the railgun, autocannon, machine guns, and (my controversial opinion) the Arc Thrower are pretty much all in a good place. I'd much rather see things like the flamethrower, grenade launcher, and laser Canon to get some love than anything getting nerfed.

Arc Thrower in particular is a personal favorite of mine. It's not particularly effective versus any given target, but it's incredibly consistent at damaging anything you point it at, and just firing for days. One tap the small enemies, two-three trap the medium threats, and wear down the larger threats.

My really controversial opinion is that I kind of don't like the railgun for robots. It's great for kneecapping chargers on the bug side, but you have a lot better options for dealing with the dreadnoughts, and can effectively kill then with small arms in the back, and tanks are eagle rocket magnets. They are big and slow enough that you can pretty easily nail them with the strategems.

What now? Buffing the grenade launcher? Have we used the same gun? :confused:

flashman posted:

The breaker also is too strong

It shines on unarmoured or armour stripped bugs, but on bots its not a default pick to be sure.

flashman posted:

Extra eagle is probably the best one overall but the level one is pretty meh

This is the most valuable by far, otherwise I'd vote for drop pod steering as the second best.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

jokes posted:

Game's making me thirst for a new World in Conflict

Go give Terminator: Defiance a whirl then, it’s not the same, but it’s better than nothing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

flashman posted:

how would being able to choose either the AC, Railgun, Flamethrower, nade launcher, or AC rifle on higher difficulties negate the challenge? Why does only 1 weapon need to be the best in order for there to be challenge? that is nonsensical.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

that went better as expected

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fajita Queen posted:

You'll have a lot of fun with the 6(?) additional difficulties they'll be adding eventually, then.

Yeah that will be good! If they buff everything and add harder stuff at the same time that is not the same as just buffing everything though. It's good if the highest difficulty is aspirational in nature, not achievable

WoodrowSkillson posted:

how would being able to choose either the AC, Railgun, Flamethrower, nade launcher, or AC rifle on higher difficulties negate the challenge? Why does only 1 weapon need to be the best in order for there to be challenge? that is nonsensical.

Because the railgun is too strong and diminishes the challenge, making everything that strong will prevent you from even choosing other things to make it more difficult, as certain parameters are required to beat the mission. You can already choose most things and complete 9.

flashman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 27, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flashman posted:

Because the railgun is too strong and diminishes the challenge,

This is complete nonsense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sorry but this is the Holy Truth of Video Games

Step 1) Never follow the meta
Step 2) Only ever do things that are fun--
Step 2a) if following the meta is fun to you, then look inward.
Step 2b) If the meta invalidates the challenge, then don't follow the meta
Step 3) Enjoy video games

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dying is meta

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What the hell is going on in this thread? Some real fuckin wild and dumb opinions. Game needs a balance pass for sure, but acting like the railgun, breaker, and shield are the only way to play the game is insane.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"No my performance in this video game is extremely important" is the saddest self-own

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So regarding sticking as a group and wandering off in teams of 2 I present the following evidence given they were the same mission on bugs. Sticking together meant I had to slog through 20 more minutes of endless chargers, titans and bile spewers.

38m44s sticking together

Vs

16m32s - 2 teams of 2

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fajita Queen posted:

This is complete nonsense.

What is nonsense about it it's too strong lol it kills everything with very limited downsides

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

dog nougat posted:

What the hell is going on in this thread? Some real fuckin wild and dumb opinions. Game needs a balance pass for sure, but acting like the railgun, breaker, and shield are the only way to play the game is insane.

they are clearly the best, but all you have to do is buff other weapons and then they won't be the best anymore and everyone can have more fun with more guns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

flashman posted:

What is nonsense about it it's too strong lol it kills everything with very limited downsides

the downside is that it's not fun that people think it's the only gun to use, when the flamethrower and MG are rarely used-- my favorite guns

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

jokes posted:

the downside is that it's not fun that people think it's the only gun to use, when the flamethrower and MG are rarely used-- my favorite guns

I agree.. I prefer to use the other guns and find it makes for really hectic games at 9 so I hope everything doesn't become so powerful as that

Although the flamethrower could use some love

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I like the laser cannon, it goes BVVWUUMMMM and if you're careful you can use it forever for zero ammo expenditure. It makes really pretty blue shiny effects when you blast away at armor to let you know 'stop shooting here'.

Also it's extra cool on icy planets.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jokes posted:

Sorry but this is the Holy Truth of Video Games

Step 1) Never follow the meta
Step 2) Only ever do things that are fun--
Step 2a) if following the meta is fun to you, then look inward.
Step 2b) If the meta invalidates the challenge, then don't follow the meta
Step 3) Enjoy video games

eh, i don't think it's inherently bad for people to play games as a source of challenge or to enjoy optimizing their play, and this will generally necessitate looking at the meta. people can get lovely about it but people choosing to engage with video games by getting deep into their mechanics and figuring out the best ways to win isn't some crime.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Flamethrowers range is rear end, it's much shorter than the scorcher it feels like. The few times you'd say I want to clear trash with fire, the grenade launcher does it better, and it explodes so its just all around more viable.

It at least needs more range if not also more canisters.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the problem i have with the flamethrower is if an enemy is within flamethrower range of me, i want to kill it quickly, and not slowly over time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also the flamethrower has trouble getting lit for the initial flame stream when it's raining, which is great and funny but also the flamethrower doesn't need more reasons to not want to use it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

In conclusion, play experiences and skillsets are varied and everyone will have unique and valid takes about weaponry and strategems as the game develops

Except this guy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they added stagger and an area denial effect and changed nothing else about the flamethrower, it would probably be fine

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

flashman posted:

It's good if the highest difficulty is aspirational in nature

More like perspirational!!!!

Haha, yes!!!!

jokes posted:

If they added stagger and an area denial effect and changed nothing else about the flamethrower, it would probably be fine

Agreed. Staggers the big thing I think

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

flashman posted:

And 7 is easy without using a railgun, I still dont understand. 8-9 are currently nice and difficult without railgun on team, so I'd prefer if they didn't jsut boost everything to make the whole game easier..

The issue is simply that the railgun works, while the RR and spear are bugged. You can't reliably crew the RR (not the biggest deal, but fast firing the RR into three chargers is extremely powerful) and the spear simply doesn't work 75% of the time.

If they both worked well the best play would be 2 railguns for versatility, RR/spear and basically whatever else your fourth likes. If the spear worked I'd bring it on every mission, but it doesn't, so I bring it every now and then and get mad at it. Have to admit when it does fire it's very cool.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
man the scout handshake is fun, but also I feel bad for people on the other end

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is the support shotgun the worst weapon in the game?

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think it could feel a lot better honestly, I want to feel that overcharging and right now it's just sort of a visual indicator. I don't even think it rumbles.

If you want a (slight) nerf that also makes it feel better, what would, imo, be pretty cool is if overcharged shots blew your character backwards. A bit overcharge or full charged just slides you back a couple inches, but a full overcharge sends you at least a few feet away. Mmm, that would feel good. Practical, no, but it would make it feel like you were shooting a big ol death bullet.

jokes posted:

I love the machine gun to pieces, but the flamethrower... I want to like it, but the super limited range combined with it not being nearly as good at dealing damage and reliably lighting things on fire as you'd hope really suck.

The visuals of the stream of oil coming out first and only then having the flame race up the stream are really nice though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man I was wondering how much vision accessibility stuff was in this game. When I saw how bright and high contrast the beacons were I sorta kinda wondered maybe I could give this a shot without feeling like I was dragging a team down. What kinda options are there? Based on what I've seen it just seems you can adjust the reticle. Can you increase the size? The color? Do only the drop beacons give off that pillar or can people ping with a similarly high contrast marker?