Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm sorry RP4 I bought you for retro games, but all I see is Balatro in your future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Russ on the RG556

Summary

I think the clear model is hideous, and Russ didn’t like the plastic of the black model (“slick and smudgy”)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Russ on the RG556

Though I wonder how meaningful this kind of statement is coming from someone that owns an Odin 2 on week of reviewing the RG556. Like is he ever touching the Retroid under those circumstances outside what he needs for comparisons?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can't wait for the inevitable Retroid 5 Pro with 1080p OLED display. I just hope it's not too big - I love how pocketable the Retroid 4 Pro is, even with the grip.

The fact that I don't think twice about throwing my Retroid 4 Pro in my bag for short road trips is it's biggest benefit for me. I've traveled with my Steam Deck, but it just feels... unwieldy in most situations. Also shockingly surprised at how well it emulates switch games.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 24, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Make a faster 556 and make it not ugly transparent.

Although I like the rumor of a 405 followup (with a t820 inside) better so I can't promise Anbernic I will buy a faster 556.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the 556 seems tailor made for me. like an x55 form factor but more professionally made and close enough to the RP4P that it can be mostly plug-n-play for ps2/gc

i wish more handhelds had the handles and grips like this instead of slabs, but i get that portability is something a lot of people want. russ says this is second only to the Logitech G Cloud in terms of ergonomics & comfort and that's pretty impressive

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's interesting, the company with the terrible name that makes excellent game boy ips screens has a new product out, it's a drop-in replacement motherboard for game boy colour that includes an ips panel, usb-c rechargeable battery and A MOTHERFUCKING FPGA for a fraction of the price of an analog pocket

https://funnyplaying.com/products/fpgbc-kit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

That's interesting, the company with the terrible name that makes excellent game boy ips screens has a new product out, it's a drop-in replacement motherboard for game boy colour that includes an ips panel, usb-c rechargeable battery and A MOTHERFUCKING FPGA for a fraction of the price of an analog pocket

Wow that sounds like a great kit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's been out for a few months now, just people seem to actually be noticing/getting review units. Noted dipshit Bob Wulff had a video on it about 2 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAfwqYeljhY

It's actually kinda cool that its basically a brand new Game Boy Colour with a better screen, speaker and rechargable battery for less (it's about $85 if you get buttons and a shell from FP as well) than it would cost to mod an actual GBC with that stuff. Never mind the obvious comparison to the Analogue Pocket. I am holding out hope that they follow it up with a GBA version though.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 25, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Why did you show me this?

drat it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If there were a gameboy pocket I'd be all over it, there's something about it's form factor I like more.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I have one of these and it's great for the price, but it's not without issues. There isn't any IR port on it, which is mostly only a problem for mystery gift and card pop. But the big thing for me is that the minimum volume is still very loud, and you will want to have it on at all times, because it emits a constant high pitched tone and cutting the volume will not stop it. It's not the speaker, it's apparently a much worse version of an issue that the original gameboy colour had. I haven't tried it with any flash carts yet but some people said that they had issues with certain kinds (though they've been fixing this steadily with firmware updates and board revisions).

Everything else about it is fantastic though, and I'd recommend it overall.

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 25, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

womb with a view posted:

I have one of these and it's great for the price, but it's not without issues. There isn't any IR port on it, which is mostly only a problem for mystery gift and card pop. But the big thing for me is that the minimum volume is still very loud, and you will want to have it on at all times, because it emits a constant high pitched tone and cutting the volume will not stop it. It's not the speaker, it's apparently a much worse version of an issue that the original gameboy colour had. I haven't tried it with any flash carts yet but some people said that they had issues with certain kinds (though they've been fixing this steadily with firmware updates and board revisions).

Everything else about it is fantastic though, and I'd recommend it overall.

In that wulf video he said he had to open it back up because he forgot to add the IR sensor the first time. Is there just not a cut out for it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There isn't an IR sensor on the board itself, at least not that I can see. If you don't add the IR window to the case though you end up with a big hole in the top which isn't ideal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Azubah posted:

If there were a gameboy pocket I'd be all over it, there's something about it's form factor I like more.

Yeah I would totally build a GBP in the OG silver and make it my dedicated Kirby pinball machine

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

There isn't an IR sensor on the board itself, at least not that I can see. If you don't add the IR window to the case though you end up with a big hole in the top which isn't ideal.

there's a couple of footprints right behind the window which look like they might be for an IR LED and sensor, but they're not populated

:iiam:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Crap I'm looking at that FPG board more and more.

I kinda wanna build a gameboy now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Crap I'm looking at that FPG board more and more.

I kinda wanna build a gameboy now.

Hella :same:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I do an FPGA console with a flashcart can I, like, set a default game to load from the games list? I want as close to OG experience as possible except the screen and battery updates. I don't want to menu dive every time I wanna pop in some quick pinball or Zelda. Gotta have the OG firmware boot image and sound too.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I need to point out something I should have noticed before, it's probably best to buy a replacement shell for the funnyplaying board while you're at it

While you can drop it into an original GBC, you would have to cut out the space for the charging port and trim the screen bezel yourself. Reusing the buttons and membranes should work fine, though

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

If I do an FPGA console with a flashcart can I, like, set a default game to load from the games list? I want as close to OG experience as possible except the screen and battery updates. I don't want to menu dive every time I wanna pop in some quick pinball or Zelda. Gotta have the OG firmware boot image and sound too.

Generally speaking there are two categories of flash carts, multicarts and single carts. Single carts behave (or should behave) exactly like the original games. Multicarts can be further subdivided into two categories, those where you navigate a software based list to load a game versus those with other means of bank switching (e.g. a hardware switch).

When it comes to the list-based multicarts, very few of the ones I've used offer the ability to bypass the menu to boot straight into a game (just the ez flash omega DE, off the top of my head), but they will have the last game played be just a button or two away.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is it still iffy buying SD Cards on Amazon? I want to get one to replace the one I foolishly got with my device (and subsequently died) but don't want to risk buying another crappy one that's going to gently caress up and eat my data again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I get all mine on Amazon, just make sure the seller is reputable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool, thanks. A friend of mine really drilled it into me that you have about a 50% chance of getting a bad SD card from Amazon because they pull out of the same pile where fake ones are. Or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean maybe I’m wrong then, I’ve never gotten a bad card but it could just be luck.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Buy from amazon directly (the seller is amazon.com), and just pick the popular fast sd cards. I think there are only 2 brands making them, Samsung and Sandisk, all the rest are either serviceable cheap cards, or boutique camera brand re-brands.

I got a drawer full of them because all the new phones and digital cameras stop offering the sd slot so I got tons of older cards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have gotten a bad card from Amazon but it was 1 card in about 10-15 I've bought. So you're rolling the dice but the odds are pretty in your favour. And if it's a fake you can just refund it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think the samsung "evo select" models are particularly safe because that's an amazon-exclusive SKU so there's no third party stock to potentially introduce fakes

evo select performs identically to evo plus, it's just branded differently

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Still holding out for the miyoo flip. Gotta keep the willpower going...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

i think the samsung "evo select" models are particularly safe because that's an amazon-exclusive SKU so there's no third party stock to potentially introduce fakes

evo select performs identically to evo plus, it's just branded differently

Thanks! I went with a couple of these.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I got ES-DS running on my Retroid 4 Pro and it’s great but I really wish I could add multiple rom folders more easily. Seems like a pain when I have my roms across my microsd and internal storage.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Corb3t posted:

I got ES-DE running on my Retroid 4 Pro and it’s great but I really wish I could add multiple rom folders more easily. Seems like a pain when I have my roms across my microsd and internal storage.

I gave in also, and yeah it's pretty great. My issue right now is having to rescrape everything, because while I can use the media I already have by dumping it in the ES-DE downloaded_media or whatever folder, there's no easy process AFAIK for moving the text descriptions from previous gamelist.xml files. Scraping still takes a real long time even if you're not downloading anything.

I love though that the theme downloader has just a limited selection of themes, but ones that are vetted and work with everything. They all look really good and it's much easier to find one to stick with.

It's definitely much more mature than I would've expected from an initial release.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1762576284817768457

i feel like this effectively kills Switch emulation since idk if Skyline is still worked on

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

doesn't yuzu require the user to provide all of the decryption keys? if so this is much more of a stretch than when they went after dolphin, which was recklessly bundling keys with the code

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

repiv posted:

doesn't yuzu require the user to provide all of the decryption keys? if so this is much more of a stretch than when they went after dolphin, which was recklessly bundling keys with the code

Yes but also no-one does that, everyone grabs the keys on Reddit that come up immediately if you search "yuzu keys". Also with Dolphin they only stopped it being put on Steam, they haven't touched it otherwise, they clearly think they have something to overturn precedent if they're taking this shot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yuzu makes money they can use on a legal defense so we’ll see if they cave and instantly give Nintendo the win

njsykora posted:

Yes but also no-one does that, everyone grabs the keys on Reddit that come up immediately if you search "yuzu keys". Also with Dolphin they only stopped it being put on Steam, they haven't touched it otherwise, they clearly think they have something to overturn precedent if they're taking this shot.

If Yuzu isn’t distributing the keys I don’t see how that’s relevant

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 27, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

they clearly think they have something to overturn precedent if they're taking this shot.
I don't think it works that way

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, it might just be an attempt to pressure/intimidate them into folding. Nobody likes to be sued, it's stressful, time-consuming, and costly - depending on your life circumstances, giving in might be the only realistic option.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Get hosed Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is ArkOS the best option for the 353M that isn't the stock setup?