Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

Nope, it's a separate physical desk phone. Clue: It's a VOIP phone but their network does not have POE.

Is...locking the computer also turning off power to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragonshardz posted:

Is...locking the computer also turning off power to it?

Monitor plugged into the master outlet and VOIP phone plugged into one of the slave outlets. Monitor turns off from power-save mode 30 seconds after PC is locked.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Entropic posted:

Monitor plugged into the master outlet and VOIP phone plugged into one of the slave outlets. Monitor turns off from power-save mode 30 seconds after PC is locked.

How the heck did they flip all the text except the bits by the switch

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Entropic posted:

Lol I had this come up with the same cause but it was "why does the wifi turn off when I turn off my computer

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have a building that went for a bunch of LEEDs certifications, so every office has the top outlets controlled by a light switch. First day of people in, people were constantly shutting off their laptops/monitors. Pretty sure we lost a printer to that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

apparently someone was looking to get big 10 network on their Roku but they couldn't find it because, apparently, it is ONLY searchable under "B1G+" matching the uhhh cute logo someone came up with where the 1G also kind of makes the 10?

roku unfuck your search big 10 pull your head out of your rear end (challenge level impossible)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The worst app experience I had was trying to use Vimeo on a Fire TV, it didn't seem to support search so I have no idea how you were meant to use it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What kind of role in IT security is responsible for this kind of nonsense happening to email subject lines?
RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]<emailSubject>

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What kind of role in IT security is responsible for this kind of nonsense happening to email subject lines?
RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: RE: [EXTERNAL]RE: [EXTERNAL]<emailSubject>

Someone hitting the default settings in 365. Unless you disable the foreign domain tagging, you will get that identifier in the object and, if you use third party clients, you will get that mess (outlook will remove it and put a classification on the mail item instead).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

That, my friend, is someone solving a problem with a regex.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Had a ticket to set up a desk yesterday for someone who was supposed to start at 7 this AM. We'd been trying to recruit this guy for awhile, and the desk requirements were very specific and high-end. Curved 43" monitor flanked by two 32"s. Ergonomic wireless keyboard. Trackball, also wireless. While we were there, Facilities was assembling one of those $1000 chairs.

It was a thing of beauty. Cable routed to within an inch of its life. Custom little wooden hut for the laptop.

As you may see coming, this morning I walked by and :

The monitors have been replaced by a 27" and a 24", the latter with a visible two-inch-long scratch on the screen, and only one power cable and no data cable.
The keyboard has been replaced by a normal wireless keyboard with dead batteries, no dongle, and enough chip crumbs to feed a family of roaches.
The trackball has been replaced by a wired mouse that was not even hooked up to anything, the cable just dropped down behind the desk, and with shiny-button syndrome.

All the cable routing, of course, has been torn apart. And -- most insulting of all -- the wooden laptop house is gone.

Locusts. I work with a bunch of loving locusts.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What, people in your office stole all the stuff? I'm not sure I understand what happened

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Hunt them down like the pests that they are

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I might be getting impatient but that sort of stuff seems like in the very least it should get you written up

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I'd personally be running that up some escalation chains, especially if it was all special request hardware to close a difficult recruitment. That's the sort of thing that can have some sticky reputational damage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlowBloke posted:

Someone hitting the default settings in 365. Unless you disable the foreign domain tagging, you will get that identifier in the object and, if you use third party clients, you will get that mess (outlook will remove it and put a classification on the mail item instead).
I wish I had a way to call people out for this because its only certain clients I work with and it just seems incompetent and is definitely a little annoying.

Arquinsiel posted:

That, my friend, is someone solving a problem with a regex.
I get this reference, lol

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

sfwarlock posted:

Had a ticket to set up a desk yesterday for someone who was supposed to start at 7 this AM. We'd been trying to recruit this guy for awhile, and the desk requirements were very specific and high-end. Curved 43" monitor flanked by two 32"s. Ergonomic wireless keyboard. Trackball, also wireless. While we were there, Facilities was assembling one of those $1000 chairs.

It was a thing of beauty. Cable routed to within an inch of its life. Custom little wooden hut for the laptop.

The monitors have been replaced by a 27" and a 24", the latter with a visible two-inch-long scratch on the screen, and only one power cable and no data cable.
The keyboard has been replaced by a normal wireless keyboard with dead batteries, no dongle, and enough chip crumbs to feed a family of roaches.
The trackball has been replaced by a wired mouse that was not even hooked up to anything, the cable just dropped down behind the desk, and with shiny-button syndrome.

All the cable routing, of course, has been torn apart. And -- most insulting of all -- the wooden laptop house is gone.

What the actual gently caress? How big is the office? I would hunt down the idiots who took the gear and have them fired.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I wish I had a way to call people out for this because it's only certain clients I work with and it just seems incompetent and is definitely a little annoying.

Only recent 365 tenants got it enabled, your clients that don't get it are likely older ones.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlowBloke posted:

Only recent 365 tenants got it enabled, your clients that don't get it are likely older ones.
Ahh, good to know, thank you.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

The Fool posted:

whenever I need a regex for something I paste to test data into regex101 and fart around for 20 minutes and it's good enough

This, basically, if I'm forced to parse text.

I posted the original thread in 2008. It's funny that bitching about regex could have happened in 2008 or 1988.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sfwarlock posted:

Every single person that took something off that desk needs at the very least to be yelled at and made to give it back. gently caress's sake.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's theft, fire them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wibla posted:

It's theft, fire them.

I'm assuming they just swapped it for their own in office equipment so it's just moving poo poo around which is lovely but not actually a crime.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's an assumption your security team can investigate

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

I'm assuming they just swapped it for their own in office equipment so it's just moving poo poo around which is lovely but not actually a crime.

If it were in a public sector office in europe, whoever acquired the kit that was purchased for a specific grant/project might be on the hook for corruption/embezzlement. Not jail time but nasty fines and HR fun talks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm very in favour of the heaviest book possible being thrown at people for this so this is all cool

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
~Walks through office. Spots plebe with brand new 43” curved monitor.~

“Excuse me. We need to talk. Would you come with me?”

~Pushes them down stairwell.~

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

That's an assumption your security team can investigate

What the hell is a security team

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Update: the big monitor and the trackball have not been found. The side monitors were "reallocated" by management who thought it unfair the new guy got fancy gear while they didn't, and basically were powertripping, and the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

My management is taking a very haha-boys-will-be-boys attitude, which possibly pisses me off more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't fix that culture, gotta have one eye on the exit

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

Update: the big monitor and the trackball have not been found. The side monitors were "reallocated" by management who thought it unfair the new guy got fancy gear while they didn't, and basically were powertripping, and the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

My management is taking a very haha-boys-will-be-boys attitude, which possibly pisses me off more.

The keyboard has seen enough piss. That's some willful destruction right there.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sfwarlock posted:

when the new hire says "what the gently caress" and pulls their join, feel free to direct blame to management for their haha boys will be boys attitude

if you're at the point where a new hire's recruitment is contingent on them getting specific desk hardware, I guarantee you they a. are happy to walk and b. will be unemployed for about 6 hours

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
At my old job, after an angry customer had shown up in the lobby (this wasn't a business where customers would ever show up in person) they decided to install a panic button at the front desk, which would make a light flash in the I.T. area. They never said what they expected us to do if the light started flashing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All the boys can have a good loving laugh at the costs they've incurred to bring someone onboard who's going to give them the finger and walk out

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can't fix that culture, gotta have one eye on the exit

Yep, absolutely gently caress these people and find somewhere else to be.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This has me wondering if this desktop setup is the "no brown M&Ms" of IT. If so, it's a worthy gambit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I keep coming back to putting a keyboard in the toilets, what sort of dickhead behaviour is that

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

What in the name of god lmao

Do you guys employ high school boys? This is so beyond the pale I don't even know where to begin

Does management just... not care at all about theft? That $1000+ of equipment is ruined or gone? It's totally insane

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Update to the update. I misheard, the keyboard was found ON the urinal, not IN it. A brave volunteer, using two layers of gloves, reports it is still functioning. Security camera footage is being pulled and HR is involved. People are going to get a come-to-Jesus meeting or two...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. The new hire's travel plans got snarled and he'll be here on the 29th. Fortunately for all concerned.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sfwarlock posted:

the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

new thread title right there