Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Open Source Idiom posted:

What do you mean by "realistic"? I'm not sure I follow.

Though, yeah, it would be nice if the show did more with its characters, it's been a consistent problem throughout.

Yeah, sorry I could have phrased that better. Maybe it is realistic that the officers didn't spend a lot of time with their enlisted crew members outside of the plane. I don't know how strictly fraternization was enforced in the 8th Air Force compared to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phenotype posted:

...stop eating the candy, steve it's 80 years old

he keeps on eating it

He's eaten Civil War era hardtack before. Steve is a madman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

He's eaten Civil War era hardtack before. Steve is a madman.

He at least has sense to not eat something if the container is damaged. I heard the only things that ever made him sick was the Russian MRE, probably from the pig brain pate, and the algae paste from the PLA mre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The focus is on the officers because it lets the Yanks bring some good ole' boys wisdom to the conversation whenever the snooty British officers act like upper classholes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 25, 2024

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i do dislike that the three british men who have had speaking parts have:

criticized the americans for idealism, then tried to punch the americans
criticized the americans for their pronunciation
criticized the americans for being drunk and horny

there couldnt be one cool british guy, like a sassy whiskey drinking spitfire pilot or or a sassy whiskey drinking winston churchill or someone

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The cool Commonwealthers will be the kiwi boys. "75 (NZ) Squadron was engaged constantly against Germany from 1940 to VE day. The squadron flew more sorties than any other heavy bomber squadron in Bomber Command and lost the second most aircraft of Bomber Command.[11] The highest Commonwealth award for valour – the Victoria Cross – was awarded to Sgt J A Ward for climbing out onto the wing of a Wellington he was second pilot of, when on an operation over Europe, in an attempt to put out an engine fire. Although badly damaged by enemy fighters' canon shells, the aircraft managed to return to its base"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

hosed up making this thread when the last airbender was about to debut

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I thought that was kind of funny about the British officer saying Americans got rowdy and drunk in pubs. Sure, the British definitely do not get drunk in pubs and start fights 🙄

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wesgate is the only Brit that’s cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I quizzed you on great British Universities: Oxford, Cambridge and Hull you failed to notice that only two of those are great Universities.

"Yes, Oxford is a complete dump!"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

there couldnt be one cool british guy, like a sassy whiskey drinking spitfire pilot or or a sassy whiskey drinking winston churchill or someone

Dickhead/arrogant commonwealth allies seems to be a common trope in Speilberg/Hanks WW2 projects. See also British tanker in BoB and the rear end in a top hat Aussie dude in The Pacific ("I suspect that's one Yank we don't have to worry about anymore").

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Dickhead/arrogant commonwealth allies seems to be a common trope in Speilberg/Hanks WW2 projects. See also British tanker in BoB and the rear end in a top hat Aussie dude in The Pacific ("I suspect that's one Yank we don't have to worry about anymore").

Except of course for the eternally grateful British airborne who were rescued from Arnhem by Easy Company in BoB. Canadian Engineers didn't even get a speaking line despite being involved in the rescue operation, just a mention by Moose.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Don't forget lack of canadian higgins boat drivers in Saving Private Ryan.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah they’ve also implied that the RAF boys have it easy during their nightly raids over Germany, which is kind of bullshit. British losses were heavy throughout the war. I get that you’d have the impression of it being a cake walk if you’re stuck doing daylight raids, but reality was not that black and white.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Every country likes to play up their contributions to the war in their media and historiography. We just happen to get a lot more from Americans and the prevailing public image is still of a bunch of Americans coming to rescue Europe. The Hanks/Spielberg collaborations admittedly do present the ways that the American war effort screwed up and made mistakes. But if you're a commonwealth soldier in their shows you're either a prick or about to be bailed out by American heroism and gumption.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I do like the more positive interactions between the Americans and the locals, the kids are good at not being teethpullingly annoying, despite being kid actors with British accents. Tommy is cool too; very rare to see that sort of casting in a period piece like this.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

I do like the more positive interactions between the Americans and the locals, the kids are good at not being teethpullingly annoying, despite being kid actors with British accents. Tommy is cool too; very rare to see that sort of casting in a period piece like this.

Isn't there a line in Memphis Belle from a British woman to one of the Americans, something along the lines of, "My father couldn't stand you Yanks. Until you started dying." I always thought that was a great scene. I really need to watch Memphis Belle again.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
When will they make big budget this?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

This would hamper the illusion of America Won WW2 that Amblin always clutches to.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Burma/Malaysia/New Guinea/China fronts need some more love.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

World War I needs all the love.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
The scene with the POWs being walked through the German village being bombed out was powerful.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I just imagine the night raid was a prelude to a day time double tap attack.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

George H.W. oval office posted:

Wesgate is the only Brit that’s cool

Subaltern Wesgate is the best character in the show by a decent margin. Rosie will probably be the best of the aircrew characters, mostly on the strength of meeting him on the ground before we see him in the air next episode. His thread in this episode was really strong, the shrink gets credit for making the late night conversation real.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm reading Neptune's Inferno after a rewatch of The Pacific and seeing it mentioned in this thread. I know I have the benefit of hindsight and a book giving the actual tactical picture that they didn't always have at the time but goddamn I am getting mad reading about some of the stupid decisions these admirals are making.

What books can you recommend that cover the marine's pacific campaign similar to this one?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

D-Pad posted:

I'm reading Neptune's Inferno after a rewatch of The Pacific and seeing it mentioned in this thread. I know I have the benefit of hindsight and a book giving the actual tactical picture that they didn't always have at the time but goddamn I am getting mad reading about some of the stupid decisions these admirals are making.

What books can you recommend that cover the marine's pacific campaign similar to this one?

Wait till you find out about McAuthur's pendulum swings from tactical genius to utter moron.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jehde posted:

This would hamper the illusion of America Won WW2 that Amblin always clutches to.

America won world war two in Europe with lend lease as much as with blood.

D-Pad posted:

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is always a must.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

D-Pad posted:

Neptune's Inferno really is an amazing read. I remember when I was first learning more about the Pacific I really was under the idea that after the battle of Midway the Japanese Navy was basically defeated, and so reading Neptune's Inferno I was totally floored. I had no real knowledge of the carrier duels or loving close quarters capital ship fighting that took place around the Solomons.

It's a commitment, but the best anything I've ever read on the Pacific War is Ian Toll's recent trilogy of books on them. I went on a longer spiel about it earlier in the thread so I won't do that again but it's a modern series and seems pretty drat definitive on the overall Pacific campaign. It does a fantastic job of weaving the human story with the tactical/strategic stuff, what it was like on the various home fronts, geopolitics, and gets into the various weapons of war/technology as well. Book 1 (Pacific Crucible) is basically the lead up to Pearl Harbor through Midway, Book 2 (The Conquering Tide) is Guadalcanal through Saipan/Battle of the Philippine Sea, and Book 3 (Twilight of the Gods) is late 1944 through the end of the war.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

D-Pad posted:

If it’s any consolation nearly all of the admirals making stupid decisions in the Guadalcanal campaign die in battle because of their hubris

Burns
May 10, 2008

If you like podcasts Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East might be of interest as well.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Neptune's Inferno really is an amazing read. I remember when I was first learning more about the Pacific I really was under the idea that after the battle of Midway the Japanese Navy was basically defeated, and so reading Neptune's Inferno I was totally floored. I had no real knowledge of the carrier duels or loving close quarters capital ship fighting that took place around the Solomons.

Yeah same. I had no idea about any of this stuff. I always had the impression the navy just steamrolled Japan after pearl harbor. I also didn't really realize how new a lot of the concepts and technology was and how much trouble they had adapting at the start. I also knew there were a lot of casualties but not at the level im reading about here goddamn.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's a commitment, but the best anything I've ever read on the Pacific War is Ian Toll's recent trilogy of books on them. I went on a longer spiel about it earlier in the thread so I won't do that again but it's a modern series and seems pretty drat definitive on the overall Pacific campaign. It does a fantastic job of weaving the human story with the tactical/strategic stuff, what it was like on the various home fronts, geopolitics, and gets into the various weapons of war/technology as well. Book 1 (Pacific Crucible) is basically the lead up to Pearl Harbor through Midway, Book 2 (The Conquering Tide) is Guadalcanal through Saipan/Battle of the Philippine Sea, and Book 3 (Twilight of the Gods) is late 1944 through the end of the war.

Seconding this.

Additionally, The Fleet at Flood Tide is by the author of Neptunes inferno, and is also an excellent deep-dive on the USN in the closing phase of the war.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

If I remember correctly, Midway did destroy the backbone of the IJN but it didn't completely knock them out. They would never be able to project in force on the level the Americans could, but smaller fleets were fully capable of engaging the USN on the same level. It was not unlike the Germans and Kursk, yes they still had an army but they'd never be able to assemble that level of men an materials again.

Going to need to check that book out though.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

mllaneza posted:

Subaltern Wesgate is the best character in the show by a decent margin. Rosie will probably be the best of the aircrew characters, mostly on the strength of meeting him on the ground before we see him in the air next episode. His thread in this episode was really strong, the shrink gets credit for making the late night conversation real.

I agree about Westgate, but it’s a shame she wasn’t a real person.

If she was, and she left like that, I would send her a letter asking to please contact me as soon as the war is over or her role is declassified with where she went that morning because it will bother me for the rest of my life.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 27, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's a good chance you're waiting 25 years for a response.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

mllaneza posted:

There's a good chance you're waiting 25 years for a response.

9 years since Christopher Lee died, 6 to go mebbe?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CubanMissile posted:

I agree about Westgate, but it’s a shame she wasn’t a real person.

If she was, and she left like that, I would send her a letter asking to please contact me as soon as the war is over or her role is declassified with where she went that morning because it will bother me for the rest of my life.

I and others suggest she's probably involved with cracking Engima and other codes at Bletchley Park. Why she's so evasive about everything, even what she studied in school. If she said she studied mathmatics (or maths, as the brits would say. Weirdos) that might even be too much information to give out. Most of the people working there were women, so its not out of the question.

I don't know enough about british uniforms to get any clues from that other than she's at least a captain I think based on the 3 pips on her epalettes.

Batcat
May 2, 2009
Subaltern just means junior officer but in the ATS it was an actual rank, equivalent to lieutenant (and yes leftenant is the only correct pronunciation).

Thought this episode was a step backwards after the improvement of the previous 2 weeks, just felt like a set of bad world war 2 movie tropes stitched together. I'd never heard of the Rüsselsheim massacre before so it was interesting reading about that but I'm really not a fan of making Egan a part of it. I understand sometimes events can get changed around significantly and several real people will be rolled into one character for the sake of storytelling, this just felt like a step too far though. It's an event completely separate to the 100th Bomb Group, he wasn't there and I think a lot of people who watch this will reasonably assume that he was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Limited episode count and a very broad story of both the 100th Bomb Group and the 8th Airforce at large leads to condensing moments together. Hence that Red Tails standalone episode that's also coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I hope they can devote an episode to this famous battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsLyG6A13f4

Actually if I'm being serious for a moment, I would loving love to see a series or a movie devoted to RAF night bomber / German night fighter operations. I've always been incredibly... Incredulous?? About the capabilities available to night fighters in the 1940s and the kind of cathode ray tube/TV antenna radars they employed to both find and take down opposing aircraft. It seems anachronistic to me almost.

This kind of poo poo:

I've wanted something like this ever since I first watched that scene in Heavy Metal.

Edit: I swear to god if the Loc-Nar shows up any of the remaining episodes (as a Foo Fighter maybe) I could completely forgive all of the questionable CGI.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 28, 2024