Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

amber acorn you are a mean piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I started this game yesterday and drat it's good.

I played for a half-dozen hours and still haven't made it to ante 8, most of the time I petre out around 4.

Are there any guides to get me through my first win?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Had Blueprint + Stuntman combo on my first Gold Stakes try. Sadly I ran into probably the one boss that could beat me, the Manacle :negative:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Beat Black Stake with this set-up. Double Joker Stencil is absolutely wild.

Onmi posted:

Fun fact with Four Fingers people may not know. You can turn any normal straight into a Straight Flush so long as 3 of the cards involved in the straight are the right suit. Simply add a card of the correct suit to a 5 card hand and even though say, Ace, 2, 3 of clubs and 4 of Hearts is not a flush, adding the 8 of clubs turns it into one.

Here is a visual demonstration

By the way this also works for Flush Houses and Flush Fives.

I saw a youtube video on this earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSmeFea7vs

So from this, we can conclude that this is not actually because of Four Fingers (even though practically it is), it's because of how the game checks for these advanced hands. If you're attempting to play a Straight Flush, the game doesn't ask "Do you have five cards in a row of the same suit?", or, with Four Fingers, "Do you have four cards in a row of the same suit?" The game asks "Have you met the conditions for a Straight?" And "Have you met the conditions for a Flush?" independently of one another. And with Four Fingers, it sees "A-2-3-4, the condition for a Straight is met. Four hearts, the condition for a Flush is met. Both conditions are met, thus, this is a Straight Flush." Similarly in the second example, the conditions for a flush, four cards of the same suit and the conditions for a full house, a pair plus three of a kind, are both met, thus, Flush House.

Interesting stuff!

Jossar posted:

That's such bullshit, this is Five of a Kind, not High Card!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Jossar posted:

Im only slighly mad that doesn't count as a flush

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

just switched left and right when using the death card and i want to jump out a window

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Color Printer posted:

just switched left and right when using the death card and i want to jump out a window

After the third time I did that I made sure to double check the text on the card and the order every single time.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I still gently caress it up from time to time

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

i do this at least two thirds of the time i play that card

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I started this game yesterday and drat it's good.

I played for a half-dozen hours and still haven't made it to ante 8, most of the time I petre out around 4.

Are there any guides to get me through my first win?

You know the thing about complaining on the Internet? It works.

Just won with the green deck, feeling pretty good about things (trigger six more hours without another win)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Relyssa posted:

i need to hook up something to my computer to give me a strong electric shock whenever i play less than five cards into the psychic

i did this three more loving times since making this post

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Relyssa posted:

and another just now

what is wrong with me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

What a fuckin' start. Don't gently caress this up me!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MJeff posted:

Beat Black Stake with this set-up. Double Joker Stencil is absolutely wild.
Ritual dagger double stencil. That is the DREAM.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Onmi posted:

The first round Yorick :frogsiren:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dang prismatic yorick is extra sexy.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Color Printer posted:

The "convert the left card into the right card" text is too complicated.

Try reading it as "turn this into this" instead. You're reading it from left to right, the cards are left to right.

Turn this into this.

Easy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jossar posted:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Onmi posted:

I just got this guy for the first time when I was already at Ante 8. I so badly wanted to get it to work but I run into a 7.2 mil blind when I had just two discards left. :negative:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I didn't gently caress it up, I'm hoping this one can go deep, but it's not really transitioned well into an end game build.

EDIT: Sadly, yeah, not far at all, still this is the seed if anyone wants to have fun with a turn 1 Yorick HS8Q4AXV

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I am getting incredibly demoralized ramming my head against the wall trying to beat orange stake with yellow deck

I just wanna unlock the last deck! I'm not even gonna give a poo poo about gold stake for a good while after this

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol so what happens if you have a Brainstorm copying Madness?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I am getting incredibly demoralized ramming my head against the wall trying to beat orange stake with yellow deck

I just wanna unlock the last deck! I'm not even gonna give a poo poo about gold stake for a good while after this

That's me with purple stake on yellow deck right now. I'm repeatedly rerolling the starting ante for good starter tags since purple scaling means you need something to boost score or you won't make it anywhere past the initial rounds.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Well unless I get something mindblowing in the next hour or two, I think I'm gonna place my final bit of satisfaction for the night in getting another Green Stakes clear, which also let me grab one of my last couple of jokers near the end. Advancing up the ladder, slowly but surely.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 28, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

My best hand is 64k.

How number go up?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Leon Sumbitches posted:

My best hand is 64k.

How number go up?

Look for those x multipliers. They are multiplicative instead of additive. Drag them to the right side of your joker hand, it has an order of operations. Look for multipliers that scale with a strategy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can you turn a wild card into a mult card and keep it wild?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Nope, but there is a spectral card that will let you add 1 of foil/holo/polychrome which will not overwrite basic enhancements like wild.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

smoobles posted:

no

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Relyssa posted:

I had an incredible run earlier going into 8. Played a hand and saw the blind was play only one hand. Next run ante 2 or 3 I get psychic and ragequit after I play two hands. Swear to myself that I'm going to pay more attention this run.

Ante 6 I get to psychic, promptly play one hand into it and give up because I'm so mad at myself. Made up for it later when two wheels landed in a row.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does the Supernova Joker differentiate between a flush and a straight flush, like does it give its +mult to a straight flush if your top played hand is a regular flush?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That particular one will not.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

smoobles posted:

Does the Supernova Joker differentiate between a flush and a straight flush, like does it give its +mult to a straight flush if your top played hand is a regular flush?

They are different hands and are treated separately.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I would love to know the odds per planet card in any given celestial pack. Neptune shows up way too often. I wonder if it's weighted more towards more difficult hands to assemble? I see four of a kind, straight flush, and straight planet cards more than any other planet card combined

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay.

Somebody that is good at Balatro please help me order these. :laffo:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

MJeff posted:

Okay.

anything that triggers chips should be on the left, anything that adds flat mult in the middle, anything that multiplies mult goes to the right

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Which card effects overwrite each other and which do not? I know the chip/mult bonuses are mutually exclusive, not sure about the other ones.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Cards have three possible upgrades and can have up to one of each. Standard pack cards can have 0 to 3 of them pre-applied.
Enhancements which just come from tarot cards, multi/bonus/lucky/steel/glass/stone.
Editions which are holo/foil/polychrome and come from spectral packs.
Seals which are gold/purple/red/blue and also just come from spectral packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

Okay.

Update on this: I found a Negative Fibonacci. I am currently prancing around my apartment, swinging my arms around and going "Whoopeee!"