Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mush Mushi posted:

Just a quick vent. I wrote and deleted a long rear end post because this gets to the heart of it: the excitement I have for every potential home is replaced with fear that I’ve made a horrible mistake the moment I submit an offer. This process is really not for me.

This happened to me as well, and I suspect is a very common experience.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A realtor once told me that studies have indicated that moving / house shopping is on par with death of a family member in terms of overall stress.

Yeah, I've heard similar. Like, the top three stressors most people experience in their life are moving, getting married, and the death of a loved one. Probably not in that specific order, but it is way up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The good news is that you, statistically, probably are not actually making the worst decision.

The bad news is -

*Looks around at current house*

-sometimes you do!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A realtor once told me that studies have indicated that moving / house shopping is on par with death of a family member in terms of overall stress.

Try doing coast to coast moves two years in a row without getting cirrhosis of the liver :smithicide:

Due to bad planning we ended up living in a lovely airbnb for like 6 weeks moving at the tail end of the pandemic with a just barely 1 year old

That was grim

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Just don't stop moving and the stress becomes your new baseline! :haw:

E: I just pulled up notepad and counted out the moves. I have moved 26 times in 41 years if I include each college relocation, 20 if I don't. :lol:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 28, 2024

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

The SO and I are game planning a move to a better school district in a few years, and while I feel fortunate that financially we could do it, I feel like that quote about a guy behind the king saying "Some day you will... die move" and it's just like rain on the horizon for me whether or not I consciously think about it.

Hadlock posted:

Try doing coast to coast moves two years in a row without getting cirrhosis of the liver :smithicide:

Due to bad planning we ended up living in a lovely airbnb for like 6 weeks moving at the tail end of the pandemic with a just barely 1 year old

That was grim

I moved 5 times in 6 years because I'm a loving idiot/circumstances got together to gently caress me over, so it was refreshing to put down roots for longer than a few years at a time. I guess it kept us lean w/r/t accumulating poo poo.

Sundae posted:

E: I just pulled up notepad and counted out the moves. I have moved 26 times in 41 years if I include each college relocation, 20 if I don't. :lol:

I had to keep prior addresses in a file for security clearance, and lol that is insane. You must have a trail of W2s in the wind, lol.

adnam fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 28, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sundae posted:

Yeah well I've never moved (maybe when I was like a baby or really young I'm not actually sure). I WIN! Wait does that make me a loser? Well gently caress you for thinking that I'm breaking societal norms! I'm a trendsetter not a loser.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

adnam posted:

I had to keep prior addresses in a file for security clearance, and lol that is insane. You must have a trail of W2s in the wind, lol.

A ton of them were before I entered the full-time workforce, but the seven moves I've had since then (actually, that's sort of still keeping the overall average pace now that I think about it) paired with a 1099 side gig were the impetus for me to start using a tax guy. So nice and easy, never gonna stop that now. :v:

quote:

Yeah well I've never moved (maybe when I was like a baby or really young I'm not actually sure). I WIN! Wait does that make me a loser? Well gently caress you for thinking that I'm breaking societal norms! I'm a trendsetter not a loser.

I kind of envy this. I'll leave it that because anything further goes into E/N, but yeah, I think I envy this a bit. Grass always greener on the other side and what not, though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The longest I've lived in one spot is 8 years. It just seems normal to move every few years at this point

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Moving day! :toot: there's so much crap still not packed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CloFan posted:

Moving day! :toot: there's so much crap still not packed.

Anything you haven't packed by now you don't really need. Pile it in the street and light it on fire.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

adnam posted:

The SO and I are game planning a move to a better school district in a few years, and while I feel fortunate that financially we could do it, I feel like that quote about a guy behind the king saying "Some day you will... die move" and it's just like rain on the horizon for me whether or not I consciously think about it.

I moved 5 times in 6 years because I'm a loving idiot/circumstances got together to gently caress me over, so it was refreshing to put down roots for longer than a few years at a time. I guess it kept us lean w/r/t accumulating poo poo.

I bought my first house in part because I had to move 4 times in 3 years because of lovely landlords and was like.. never again

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
apparently my selling agent thinks it's appropriate to toss like 300 pages of documents into a single DocuSign folder, with no opportunity for me to review the documents outside of DocuSign first

well, some of that poo poo was wrong, so the entire thing needs to be re-done. who's the genius now?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anything you haven't packed by now you don't really need. Pile it in the street and light it on fire.

Depending on personality/method everything that has been packed are things they don't really need and only the stuff they use every day is still left out.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

My wife and I got the keys to our new house yesterday (and promptly had a locksmith change them out). My two competing thoughts when I did my first walkthrough as an owner were "oh my god, I signed up for so much work :gonk:" and "where's that hot air coming from, I ain't paying for no hot air! :argh:"

Fortunately we have a few weeks before we need to move out of our current place, so we can get some higher priority work done at the new house without furniture being in the way. I just need to remember, there's nothing that needs to be done today to make it liveable, it can be spread out over the next few years. But goddamn, it's real now!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

apparently my selling agent thinks it's appropriate to toss like 300 pages of documents into a single DocuSign folder, with no opportunity for me to review the documents outside of DocuSign first

well, some of that poo poo was wrong, so the entire thing needs to be re-done. who's the genius now?

Ugh, I hated whatever program I had to use. I would read a section, sign it, and it would jump to the next place I had to sign. Lots of scrolling back up to first read the section before putting my name down.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Ugh, I hated whatever program I had to use. I would read a section, sign it, and it would jump to the next place I had to sign. Lots of scrolling back up to first read the section before putting my name down.

Docusign does that. And that's because it's how 99% of people signing use it. We're the weirdos that do things like "read what we're signing before signing it."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

Docusign does that. And that's because it's how 99% of people signing use it. We're the weirdos that do things like "read what we're signing before signing it."

The other realtor at my last signing loving haaaaaaaated me.

Go take a walk or drink a coffee or something, I don't give a gently caress if you're impatient. This is a big loving deal for me and I'm going to make sure I actually agree to all this poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I sat with my realtor and the escrow co. rep and they were actually totally fine and patient with me reading all the docs. They were both being paid and apparently understood that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah my moving experience was always the opposite, the first 16 boxes of stuff I packed was the stuff I might as well have piled in the street and lit on fire. The stuff still unpacked on moving day is the stuff I really need.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The first time I bought a house, I had to read and sign all the documents in the presence of a notary. So I drove to their offices, we claimed a meeting room, and I sat down and started reading. After a couple of minutes, the notary leaned out of the room and told a coworker "we're gonna run late, he's actually reading the things".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We did our closing remotely with a power of attorney present to do the physical signing. As part of that, the day before we had a conference call with the escrow attorney and he walked us through literally every single phrase of the contract.

It was good for peace of mind, even though I know that it was primarily the attorney covering his rear end so that we couldn't say "I never agreed to that" to anything after everything was signed. Probably cost us an extra 500 bucks or something like that though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shifty Pony posted:

Probably cost us an extra 500 bucks or something like that though.

Worth every cent, to have an expert at the table whose sole motivation is watching out for your interests.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Quarterly reminder that "travel notaries" exist, they will come to your house and you can sign in your living room/kitchen table for a fee of like, $30 or whatever. If you live in a big city it might be less they just charged us the round trip uber cost

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why would someone do that? grinding notary xp or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

why would someone do that? grinding notary xp or something?

It's a low skill job with minimal barrier to entry. Why do people do gig economy driving/delivery/task work?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This is the schedule of notary fees in Our Fair Commonwealth:

quote:

Section 41. The fees of notaries public shall be as follows:

For the protest of a bill of exchange, order, draft or check for non-acceptance or non-payment, or of a promissory note for non-payment, if the amount thereof is five hundred dollars or more, one dollar; if it is less than five hundred dollars, fifty cents; for recording the same, fifty cents; for noting the non-acceptance or non-payment of a bill of exchange, order, draft or check or the non-payment of a promissory note, seventy-five cents; and for each notice of the non-acceptance or non-payment of a bill, order, draft, check or note, given to a party liable for the payment thereof, twenty-five cents; but the whole cost of protest, including necessary notices and the record, if the bill, order, draft, check or note is of the amount of five hundred dollars or more, shall not exceed two dollars, and if it is less than five hundred dollars, shall not exceed one dollar and fifty cents; and the whole cost of noting, including recording and notices, shall in no case exceed one dollar and twenty-five cents.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Notary fees in CA are something like $15-25 per stamp and sign, I think $12 in NC. Our last couple of house financing things probably generated close to $200 in notary fees for half an hour of work, and they didn't even bring their own pen

And yeah it's good supplementary income. Most notaries were housewives or retired folk

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edit double post

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Hadlock posted:

Quarterly reminder that "travel notaries" exist, they will come to your house and you can sign in your living room/kitchen table for a fee of like, $30 or whatever. If you live in a big city it might be less they just charged us the round trip uber cost

The mobile notary fee for our recent purchase in the Seattle area would have been $150. My wife and I lived only 10 minutes away from the title company's office, so we figured if we went there and signed it'd be like we were each being paid $75 :v:

Also, that house with the separated laundry room I posted a while back ended up selling for $780k, $5k over the (reduced) asking price.

E: the timing is coincidental, I did not buy that house!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
maybe I'll become a notary public it seems interesting

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah my moving experience was always the opposite, the first 16 boxes of stuff I packed was the stuff I might as well have piled in the street and lit on fire. The stuff still unpacked on moving day is the stuff I really need.

Whenever we move the stuff we really care about - anything valuable, whether sentimental or monetary, important documents, etc - gets packed first so that we 100% know where the gently caress it is. A lot of that is stuff that we're moving ourselves.

After that is the bulk bullshit for the movers. Boxes of books and clothes. The vast majority of the dishes. Furniture. Paintings, rugs, sundry other decorations. Crap like that.

By that point we're basically living like we're in a hotel, with a few suitcases of clothes and a bunch of random bullshit that frankly we don't care about. The cheap furniture that's not making it this move and will end on the curb. Disposable plates. Assorted cleaning supplies and toiletries that you can just re-buy at Target if you forget it. Plus some bare minimum of actually important stuff that could basically fit in an airplane carry on - phones, chargers, work laptops, that kind of thing.

The actual important stuff that's still out on move-out day is small enough that it's basically like packing when leaving a hotel on a business trip.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I never read poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We refinanced, and so did my parents, in the middle of covid like when rates hit all time lows in early-mid 2020. The mobile notary set up from their car, outside, so we could mask up and socially distance and they didn't have to come indoors. It cost like $30 for a ten minute deal (refinance is way simpler than a home purchase) and was extremely convenient.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I bought my first house in part because I had to move 4 times in 3 years because of lovely landlords and was like.. never again

I actually liked my last landlord, because I'm pretty sure he was a front for a Chinese multinational. He didn't really care what we did with the house as long as it wasn't obviously horrible/over-the-top. He also had a Youtube channel of him playing amateur violin and would text occasional things like "gunshots reported over in this corner" or "watch out there's a fugitive and police are over here"

In retrospect, he might have been a slumlord

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

adnam posted:

I actually liked my last landlord, because I'm pretty sure he was a front for a Chinese multinational. He didn't really care what we did with the house as long as it wasn't obviously horrible/over-the-top. He also had a Youtube channel of him playing amateur violin and would text occasional things like "gunshots reported over in this corner" or "watch out there's a fugitive and police are over here"

In retrospect, he might have been a slumlord

House-buying thread: In retrospect, he might have been a slumlord

(don't actually change the title, no title will ever be as perfect or beautiful as this one)

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I feel loving drained after doing closing. It's gonna feel like this after moving too, thank gently caress we're going from a two bedroom apartment to a two bedroom house. Also not doing everything same day, always a lovely time

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I’m under contract with an inspection contingency. The house has 50 amp electric service, a wet crawl space, and they appear to have lied about a roof replacement. They’ve already fallen out of contract once so I feel like I’ve got some leverage here, but it’s owner occupied with a short seller in possession period and the owner plans on leaving the country after the sale. I’d feel a lot better if the dude was happy with the transaction haha.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you caught them lying about one thing there are five you haven’t found.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So you're asking for $8k for a panel upgrade, $15k for crawlspace remediation, and whatever a new roof costs... right?

Because a short sale then the seller exiting the country means you will have zero recourse once the sale completes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

So you're asking for $8k for a panel upgrade, $15k for crawlspace remediation, and whatever a new roof costs... right?

Because a short sale then the seller exiting the country means you will have zero recourse once the sale completes.

Sorry I meant there is a short rent back period. Pretty sure seller needs the cash to move. Yeah I guess the answer is simple. Need some serious concessions or the deal is off.