Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://x.com/getfiscal/status/1717760130022813838?s=20
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1717763133219963091?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Investing for the most likely future

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
To say the quiet part out loud, refusing to vote for the lesser evil gave us Trump in 2016. I hated that poo poo and it really galvanized me to suck it up and vote for whoever I perceive to be the lesser of two evils. Maybe other people around these parts didn't take the same lesson from 2016, so ymmv, but I highly recommend voting for whichever candidate in contention you think sucks less.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I mean for president in particular in this state it's generally safe to have that position.

I can't imagine what it would take for a chud to win CA for president in 20XX

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Okay but this lesser evil poo poo is only supposed to happen once. It's supposed to be an "oh gently caress we really got caught lacking, we have to hold our nose this time and just take the gross medicine and we'll get it together for the next time." What it is NOT supposed to be is the default assumption of every single election forever.

If every election is an existential war over democracy itself, your democracy is already terminal! And if your party actually believed that we need to do whatever it takes to secure democracy, it would present an actually convincing argument as to why they will govern well and give you the very normal, basic, functioning-society poo poo that the majority is in favor of! If they aren't taking this seriously, why should I?

Quit being a totally captured vote! It's how we slid all the way into the Trump sewers in the first place! If the lesser evil got you genocide, then it was lesser in vibes and only! gently caress!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just a note that we do have a thread entirely devoted to the topic of electoralism where we can discuss the inadequacies of democracy in America and whether or not the implicit social contract of democracy guarantees us at least one major candidate we like at elections (except for once in our lifetime) to our heart's content.

On the topic of California politics: the LA Times has been doing an in-depth multi-part series on the history of Latino political power in SoCal and the state that's been really interesting so far, as someone unacquainted with all the little details of political history in the region.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

CompeAnansi posted:

To say the quiet part out loud, refusing to vote for the lesser evil gave us Trump in 2016. I hated that poo poo and it really galvanized me to suck it up and vote for whoever I perceive to be the lesser of two evils. Maybe other people around these parts didn't take the same lesson from 2016, so ymmv, but I highly recommend voting for whichever candidate in contention you think sucks less.

How do you know that people in Wisconsin or Michigan weren’t voting FOR Trump as what they believed was the lesser of two evils?

Maybe they were knowingly voting for a fascist to protect unborn babies or to keep a second Clinton from shipping their job overseas.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay but this lesser evil poo poo is only supposed to happen once. It's supposed to be an "oh gently caress we really got caught lacking, we have to hold our nose this time and just take the gross medicine and we'll get it together for the next time." What it is NOT supposed to be is the default assumption of every single election forever.

Citation severely needed, what nonfiction did you read where evil is a threat that can be eternally defeated and civilization can just 'exist' in perpetuity without regard for the individual actions of people?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Wait, you mean I need to vote more than once in my life?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

CompeAnansi posted:

To say the quiet part out loud, refusing to vote for the lesser evil gave us Trump in 2016.
there's a vocal minority of people on here who would be all like, "Hillary would have been just as bad" and that's why I don't pay much cause to what people say on the internet

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Starting July 1st, those lame as gently caress surcharges at restaurants have to be rolled into the menu price.

quote:

Many owners of restaurants and bars rely on now-ubiquitous surcharges to offer employee benefits such as healthcare and higher wages and often note surcharges on menus; some are listed as “elective,” left to the discretion of the diner. As implementation of the law looms, some now say the consequences could be disastrous and “upend” the industry.

The restaurants will need to factor surcharge fees into menu prices, as opposed to simply advertising them at the end of a bill, state officials said.

quote:

Previous statements from the attorney general’s office said SB478 would not “bar restaurants from charging service fees,” the San Francisco Chronicle reported last fall. “Those fees, however, must be disclosed (so they are no longer hidden) in restaurants’ advertised prices.”

quote:

“I think that in areas like San Francisco that have higher mandated laws that put costs on small restaurants — the extra healthcare spend, the extra sick pay, the extra paid family leave — all the stuff we pay for that people aren’t even aware of, it’s gonna have to make us put prices higher.”

AFAIK no other industry does the lame as gently caress "Look we have to give actual benefits, this is pretty lame amirite" like the restaurant industry does. The crocodile tears are pretty good about this.

I know most are like up to 5%, but a local one here in San Diego, Kingfisher, does a 20% surcharge.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 28, 2024

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

AFAIK no other industry does the lame as gently caress "Look we have to give actual benefits, this is pretty lame amirite" like the restaurant industry does. The crocodile tears are pretty good about this.

I know most are like up to 5%, but a local one here in San Diego, Kingfisher, does a 20% surcharge.

That 20% fee is probably instead of tip. I think the issue with employee health madate fees is that they are in addition to tips.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Eight-Six posted:

Citation severely needed, what nonfiction did you read where evil is a threat that can be eternally defeated and civilization can just 'exist' in perpetuity without regard for the individual actions of people?

Friend, I do not think you are correctly taking my meaning here. You deserve - we ALL deserve - a better pitch from our ostensible representatives than "hey, at least we're not the people to whom we always capitulate!"

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Friend, I do not think you are correctly taking my meaning here. You deserve - we ALL deserve - a better pitch from our ostensible representatives than "hey, at least we're not the people to whom we always capitulate!"

There is no substance to the meaning. We deserve a lot of things but unfortunately this is where we are. You also assume a better "pitch" is something that is easily grasped, that everyone must obviously see the world for what it is, when you also say that being a captured vote is how we got here, as though literally every step was unerringly a plunge into inevitable collapse. Yeah, there's been a lot of bad steps. A lot of people have died. There's been a lot of good steps. A lot of people have been saved. And I can look back on history and see the prejudices and biases and hate that still live today and trace their bodycount, methods, and collusions, and I can say- oh, I guess we get to do this again while also trying to form a separate, perfect left/liberal state.

There's also no addressing the multi-billion dollar, multi-million manhour effort to convince every person that the black pill radiates light. You do their work for them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

didnt all this come from an arab-american goon not wanting to vote for someone who is currently supporting an ongoing genocide of an arab people

yeah this is on-topic imo

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Spazzle posted:

That 20% fee is probably instead of tip. I think the issue with employee health madate fees is that they are in addition to tips.

It’s illegal for them to make the server split the tips, so I guess this is a way to spread that back to the cooks etc, but Jesus Christ just pay them more in the first place and put the actual price on the menu.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Well okay then eight-six I guess you have nicely fluffed the psychological nest from which you can comfortably vote for genocidaires as the moral, adult, reasonable position, not sure where the conversation could productively continue after that

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 28, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it is a perfectly reasonable position to say "given the disproportionately small negative impact she would have on that issue, and the large impact she could have on local issues, yeah unfortunately that's how it is for me." just as it is equally reasonable to say "i have to draw the line here, i cannot in good conscience vote for anyone who voices support for an ongoing genocide, no matter how little a direct impact that person might have on the issue from the position they're running for"

what's dumb as hell and extremely California Politics is pretending that the moral balancing of the first one isn't taking place. i can't be supporting Bad Thing! i am Good Person! how dare you!

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 28, 2024

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This also applies to bogus hotel fees. Just try looking up hotel prices in San Francisco to see what I mean.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Well okay then eight-six I guess you have nicely fluffed the psychological nest from which you can comfortably vote for genocidaires as the moral, adult, reasonable position, not sure where the conversation could productively continue after that

Your post sucked, and when called out you evaded and tried to walk it back to a vibe, and now you're abandoning it altogether not unlike a squid inking a cloud of "BUT GENOCIDE" as you wash your now-morally-reborn hands of the endeavor. We still wake up tomorrow in America, we still live here and benefit from the empire's slaughters- the poor get them through product comforts, the wealthy through capital accumulation.

You don't have a vision of the future that isn't death. The US is one of the most powerful, horrifying forces throughout history, and if you want to see voting as putting your hands directly on the machine and pulling the trigger, personally killing millions, then that's on you.

I don't understand looking at one of the pillars of the US political class going increasingly mask-off fascist and think, now is the time to let go and let them drive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CopperHound posted:

This also applies to bogus hotel fees. Just try looking up hotel prices in San Francisco to see what I mean.

They have to remain competitive with Airbnb and VRBO somehow :v:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Only because we've been convinced those are our only two choices. I've voted third party 4 out of the past 6 presidential elections.

The only reason third party candidates aren't valid, is because not enough people vote for them :lol::lol: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe this is a controversial take, but if you’re going to be a one issue voter, “Don’t provide material support for an active genocide” sounds like a good issue to pick.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Eight-Six posted:

I don't understand looking at one of the pillars of the US political class going increasingly mask-off fascist and think, now is the time to let go and let them drive.

The intensifying crises of capitalism which is playing a role in the resurgence of fascism isn't being prevented by voting for fascistic-lite.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

CopperHound posted:

Maybe this is a controversial take, but if you’re going to be a one issue voter, “Don’t provide material support for an active genocide” sounds like a good issue to pick.

Are you still a one issue voter when both candidates will have the same effect on that issue? Whether you vote or not will have no effect on that issue.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

rkd_ posted:

Are you still a one issue voter when both candidates will have the same effect on that issue? Whether you vote or not will have no effect on that issue.
I do have a limit an how much poo poo I will eat.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

rkd_ posted:

you might feel differently if the thing your vote wont affect is a government policy of "Something Awful Forums poster rkd_ should be killed along with their whole family"

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Cactus Ghost posted:

you might feel differently if the thing your vote wont affect is a government policy of "Something Awful Forums poster rkd_ should be killed along with their whole family"

Maybe I wrongly read the post I replied to as not voting at all whereas it talked about voting third party.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Eight-six you can yell and characterize me however you like, it's not going to change the fact that habitual lesser evil voting got us to genocide under a Dem president. You act like I'm being a recalcitrant baby who's riding on vibes when your position is that it's better to have the Democrats doing genocide, militarized policing, border cruelty, starvation, disease, poverty, and war profiteering rather than to the allow the dreaded Republicans to do it, for reasons of reply hazy, try again.

Voting for president is ultimately meaningless in this rigged-rear end country anyway. I'm voting for state and local stuff at least because that still has SOME chance of being relevant. But yeah, I'm simply not going to do this "you are morally required to vote for 99% Hitler" poo poo.

I also never said that everything would always be perfect forever after a single election. I said that if the party wants our votes, they should actually court them with real, beneficial policy platforms that they will then act on, instead of vote scolding about presidential ballots in the loving primary.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Who is the last president that didn't "support" selling poo poo to Israel?

I voted for Porter since she is the youngest and potentially angriest. Barbara Lee is cool, though - but 77.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 29, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Idk who was the last one we had before Israel was invented

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

SlimGoodbody posted:

rather than to the allow the dreaded Republicans to do it, for reasons of reply hazy, try again

Because the Republicans do all that and more? They pass tax cuts for the rich, they cut social programs for the poor, and they stack the courts with revisionist shitheads that rule however they feel. I don't think the reasons are very hazy.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

we might want to reel it back in to discussing porter

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Just a note that we do have a thread entirely devoted to the topic of electoralism where we can discuss the inadequacies of democracy in America and whether or not the implicit social contract of democracy guarantees us at least one major candidate we like at elections (except for once in our lifetime) to our heart's content.

Fair fair fair enough. Though I should point out:
"guarantees us at least one major candidate we like at elections (except for once in our lifetime) to our heart's content"
Not even a major candidate "I like". Just how about "someone who doesn't support white supremacy, genocide, and war crimes". I'd argue I've never in my lifetime gotten a chance at a "major candidate" like that and that's precisely because those are our nation's systemical values, behaviors, and traditions. But tbf, I'm not that old so I guess we'll see if it happens at some point before this country's collapse.

Cactus Ghost posted:

we might want to reel it back in to discussing porter
My bad

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SlimGoodbody posted:

Eight-six you can yell and characterize me however you like, it's not going to change the fact that habitual lesser evil voting got us to genocide under a Dem president. You act like I'm being a recalcitrant baby who's riding on vibes when your position is that it's better to have the Democrats doing genocide, militarized policing, border cruelty, starvation, disease, poverty, and war profiteering rather than to the allow the dreaded Republicans to do it, for reasons of reply hazy, try again.

Voting for president is ultimately meaningless in this rigged-rear end country anyway. I'm voting for state and local stuff at least because that still has SOME chance of being relevant. But yeah, I'm simply not going to do this "you are morally required to vote for 99% Hitler" poo poo.

I also never said that everything would always be perfect forever after a single election. I said that if the party wants our votes, they should actually court them with real, beneficial policy platforms that they will then act on, instead of vote scolding about presidential ballots in the loving primary.

You're a loving idiot and you're the reason american government sucks

You have the right understanding but the absurdly wrong conclusion

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

jokes posted:

Turn your monitor on

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Only the biggest brains know that not voting reduces genocide, and actually democrats and republicans are the exact same thing if you think about it. In fact, everyone who is anti genocide shouldn't vote-- that'll fix things.

Given that CA is a safe bet for democrats it's a luxury to not vote in a presidential race I guess but don't pretend for a second that you're at all taking a morally superior position by doing something that statistically benefits Republicans. If everyone who was anti-genocide didn't vote for Biden, Trump would win in a landslide lol

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 29, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The obvious solution is direct democracy. Vote yes if you want genocide, vote no if you don’t. Both sides would have the opportunity to argue their case. Voters would be able to make an informed choice on whether they want genocide.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

jokes posted:

Only the biggest brains know that not voting reduces genocide, and actually democrats and republicans are the exact same thing if you think about it. Given that CA is a safe bet for democrats it's a luxury to not vote but don't pretend for a second that you're at all taking a morally superior position by doing something that statistically benefits Republicans.

jokes posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vegetable posted:

The obvious solution is direct democracy. Vote yes if you want genocide, vote no if you don’t. Both sides would have the opportunity to argue their case. Voters would be able to make an informed choice on whether they want genocide.

This guy gets it. Republics were a mistake