Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

mikeycp posted:

Technically they're data in a computer in every game. And so are we.

:2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's catching to fill the Pokedex and then there's catching large numbers just to add checklists to the Pokedex. I can't believe this is even a comparison.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm friends with all 30 of my starly.

What I can't believe is that people would take their besties and force them into combat to the death with another animal.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Good thing it's textually not combat to the death

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

arceus is the second best mainline game. and now they brought megas back let's goooooooooooooooooo

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They like battles.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Fine, forcing them to fight within an inch of death. Sometimes against literal soul sucking spectres

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

still not that

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

They like battles.

yeah you’re pretty obviously not supposed to think about it too much BUT ritual sparring is an important part of culture in the Pokémon world, and now that I’ve played some VGC irl I actually do believe it teaches you about the kind of person your opponent is and about your Pokémon, just like trainers are always saying in-game

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

mega Pokémon are sick as hell I hope there’s a lot more esp. in the game that comes after. I never played B/W so I kinda wish they were remaking them

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's canon and textual that mega evolution is excruciatingly painful for the pomemon

But they ARE extremely cool and I want new ones

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

galagazombie posted:

LA is literally designed around releasing your catching fodder instead of letting them languish in storage. It’s how you get the vast majority of your gravel.

That's right, they made catching pokemon even more annoying busywork!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Imo pla took out most of the annoying busywork

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

mikeycp posted:

It showed us a future with no IVs or EVs, no half-baked multiplayer features shoehorned in... and it was beautiful :frogbon:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was grindy and lacking in depth

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

mikeycp posted:

It's canon and textual that mega evolution is excruciatingly painful for the pomemon

But they ARE extremely cool and I want new ones

Mega Charizard Y
Its bond with its Trainer is the source of its power. It boasts speed and maneuverability greater than that of a jet fighter.

Seems like a pretty good deal for him.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I wonder if this game is coming out as a launch title for the next switch, which was rumored to be delayed to next year. The “simultaneous “ release just might not mean worldwide but system compatible as well

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Definitely not

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

It showed us a future with no IVs or EVs, no half-baked multiplayer features shoehorned in... and it was beautiful :frogbon:

Yeah you don't need that garbage when you have like 9 total battles. It's a real contender for the best mainline game

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Nodosaur posted:

I enjoyed the grind lacking depth in PLA more than mainline games' grinds that lack depth

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

arceus definately could have been better but I was disappointed when in SV it went back to having to battle everything you wanted to catch and you couldn't just chuck pokeballs around willy nilly

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

dracky posted:

arceus definately could have been better but I was disappointed when in SV it went back to having to battle everything you wanted to catch and you couldn't just chuck pokeballs around willy nilly

Big same. At least it still cut out trainers in the field hunting you down.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Not like BBQs or tera raids!

To me, it's very fun to actually go out in the world and interact with pokemon, rather than stand in one place watching a "You couldn't connect to the raid!" message come up every 60 seconds, or mash R1 in the canyon biome while taking the same picture of Geodude, so I can cram more geodude bits into the Cram-O-Matic II.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

The main gameplay was throwing out bait at pokemon catching several dozen mons to just immedietly release in the bank to fill up a check list in between a battle system so stripped down it made Go look filled with strategic choices. The other big part of hte game play was loading in and out of areas trying to get swarms to spawn to actually find a specific pokemon you needed or sitting in sneasler's backpack waiting for a space distortion to finally zone in.

It was only the annoying busywork of pokemon without the things pokemon does well, like having fun characters and little stories and a combat system that theoretically can have depth to it.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Not like BBQs or tera raids!

Muscle Tracer posted:

It showed us a future with no IVs or EVs, no half-baked multiplayer

Skill issues.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I guess, technically, I am too skilled for raids or BBQs to be engaging as they are implemented. You got me there.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Arceus absolutely had grinding for EVs, but they were called Effort Levels and increased with grit which was obtained by catching and releasing tons of Pokémon. Doubly bad.

In SV (and SwSh), you can just buy vitamins to completely max out EVs. No catching or grinding involved other than for the money they cost which is very easy to come by just playing the game normally.

edit: I think at this point, no one side is going to convince the other that they're wrong or right. We all just like different things and hopefully they can deliver a game that makes the most people happy without compromising too much.

If the Legends games are going to continue in the same direction as Arceus, I just won't play them, the same way I don't play lots of other games, including other Pokémon games. It'll feel weird at first, especially since they're considered mainline games, but I'll get over it.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 28, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The battle system being stripped down doesn't matter if you never have to battle. (But also I liked it way more than the normal system when I was forced to engage)

The checklists added at least a hundred hours of playtime for me that I wouldn't have on any other game in the series

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The main gameplay was throwing out bait at pokemon catching several dozen mons to just immedietly release in the bank to fill up a check list in between a battle system so stripped down it made Go look filled with strategic choices. The other big part of hte game play was loading in and out of areas trying to get swarms to spawn to actually find a specific pokemon you needed or sitting in sneasler's backpack waiting for a space distortion to finally zone in.

It was only the annoying busywork of pokemon without the things pokemon does well, like having fun characters and little stories and a combat system that theoretically can have depth to it.

Skill issues.

"I'm going to min max a childrens game and then say it lacked depth!"

Like, yeah if you strip all the things that are fun out of something, it loses its fun aspect. That same thing can be said about the mainline games. Pokemon is just a collection sim with glorified rock-paper-scissors game slapped on top.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

True Pokémon Masters simply ignore all evs/ivs

And then play Showdown so we don’t need to worry about it for competitive

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So I’d like to file a formal complaint.

My 5 year old is very upset that his personal favorite pokemon “black sky” (which is a mega charizard X from some random youtube animated music video) isn’t able to fly around the terrarium in synchro mode.

Pleading efforts to convince him that a shiny normal charizard is basically the same thing were promptly rejected by him going to his room and returning with his mega-char plushie to help explain in excruciating detail how the wings, belly, and fire all very different.

I was never “happy” about the loss of megas, but now its simply unacceptable. Someone please inform the boss of pokemon that megas need to be added into scarlet by end-of-day tomorrow. TIA

Good to see Game Freak keeping up with the thread and acting promptly on this matter.

Kiddo practically did a backflip when he saw the mega symbol at the end of the trailer.

You’re all welcome that the dreams of a 5 year old really do power the Pokemon world. (There’s no way in hell charmander isn’t the fire starter)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mikeycp posted:

On opposite day!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Unbound posted:

"I'm going to min max a childrens game and then say it lacked depth!"

Like, yeah if you strip all the things that are fun out of something, it loses its fun aspect. That same thing can be said about the mainline games. Pokemon is just a collection sim with glorified rock-paper-scissors game slapped on top.

What min-maxing? The only thing to do in it was the check list and the 15 minutes of main quest each region had. Exploring the zones just found more pokemon and thus more check lists. The fights were tedious and boring and the stealth so simple that most of the time I was just hurling balls around and not really facing any obstacles. It wasn't min maxing, casually playing the game there is barely anything to it but catching dozens of guys you're just gonna release and occasionally through out food or stealth catching the same guys you were already catching. There's nothing to do but wander around and catch guys or fight them in specific ways to fill out the charts.

And I...look if you can't immediately understand the simplifications and issues of PLA combat you're pretending to make a point here.

Pokemon combat is genuinely really fun in the mainlines, both singles and doubles against other people have a lot of nuance and strategy and fun decisions to be made. They actively focus on it a lot in the designs of abilities and moves and items and out of combat game design, adding more quality of life and speeding up the process of designing and training pokemon for it every single generation.

I'll be brave and say it: pokemon combat is Fun. The design decisions to streamline it in PLA just make fights annoying and slow while also simple enough that you're never really making decisions that matter so it feels even more slow than it already is.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 28, 2024

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm wondering what the main goal of Legends Z-A even is. For Legends Arceus, you're given the task to "seek out all Pokemon" from Arceus itself and it so happens that the Galaxy Survey Corps is in Hisui because they want to do a survey of all the Pokemon that can be found in the region, mainly so that people and Pokemon can form partnerships with each other and not be so hostile towards each other.

So far the only clues we have is that its based on the redevelopment of Kalos City, but what would catching Pokemon have anything to do with city development?

EDIT: I imagine that the battle system for Legends is purposely designed to be a single player experience rather then focus on PvP, which is fine because games like Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet have that PvP element.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 28, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
hell yeah I beat the elite four! Hariyama with belly drum and vital throw was far and away the mvp. Sure I’ll take two turns setting up then the greasy sumo wrestler is just gonna yeet all of you no matter what the gently caress you do.

I’ll have to try them again later with closer levels but minus Hariyama for an even fight. Now, it’s time for the vaunted Emerald postgame.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zuzie posted:

So far the only clues we have is that its based on the redevelopment of Kalos City, but what would catching Pokemon have anything to do with city development?
They're redesigning the city for humans and pokemon to live together.

They might revisit the theme of people being terrified of pokemon since they don't understand them. Maybe portions of the city are abandoned because pokemon moved in and the people fled, but if you capture enough of them and learn more about them people will be able to redesign that section of the city in a way that lets people and pokemon live in harmony.

But I'm not sure what kind of gameplay that would support- it would be lame for you to clear an area and then you can't run around catching pokemon there anymore. Even if there were still wild pokemon living in the restored sections, if the people and pokemon are living in harmony it feels like it'd be pretty rude to abduct the pokemon from their newly comfortable homes at that point.

Edit: I guess the obvious solution is to wander around in the surrounding wilderness and catch the pokemon there, in their natural habitat, to learn more about what makes them tick to fix up the city so they can live along side humans.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 28, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

there are a lot of ways i think they can go with it and i'm excited to see which one they pick

give me collecting and light city building stuff

anything besides battles

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked the checklist of catching all mons but not the checklist of clearing all research levels so I mostly just did the former (but also got through plenty of the later just by catching and fighting mons while on the way to other objectives). It worked out decently well.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Zuzie posted:

I'm wondering what the main goal of Legends Z-A even is. For Legends Arceus, you're given the task to "seek out all Pokemon" from Arceus itself and it so happens that the Galaxy Survey Corps is in Hisui because they want to do a survey of all the Pokemon that can be found in the region, mainly so that people and Pokemon can form partnerships with each other and not be so hostile towards each other.

You're gonna depose the Ancien Régime and establish the Poké-Republic, OP

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I can already see B/W cartridges spiking in price. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Paramemetic posted:

You're gonna depose the Ancien Régime and establish the Poké-Republic, OP