Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Please help me understand humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMZKyaYeSc

A friend of mine saw this comedian recently. I didn't know who he was, so she sent me this video. I get the main joke. It's not that hard to figure out. However, there are two major elements to this that I don't get. They are intentional, so I feel like they are either in reference to something, or some type of humor I'm not familiar with.

The first is that there appears to be four characters in this little skit. The guy with the bird, the bird itself, and two narrators. One narrator is speaking into a microphone in a room, way too quietly (I don't know if that's part of the joke, but I don't think it is) but the other is like in a hallway or something, much louder and with lots of reverb. Or possibly it's the same narrator -- the point though is that there are two distinct recording locations and two distinct tones/volumes from which the narrator(s) speaks. Why is one speaking quietly in a small room and the other loudly from the hallway? What does that articulate, what is it meant to express?

The second is at 1:58, there is a musical sting and it zooms in on the bird. This must be a reference to something.

My friend tells me, it's all just there to be funny. There are no references, nothing is built on previous memes or jokes or anything. The different styles, the music sting, it's to be funny. But how? Is it just monkeycheese randomness? I know that has quality in humor, but it doesn't feel random enough for it to be that.

Again, I understand the main joke. But these other elements are not just by accident; this guy (or his editor) made these cuts and edits and zooms and put it together for a purpose, but that purpose is absolutely lost to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Have you considered therapy?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

Have you considered therapy?

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
Have you asked your night fowl confidant?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

credburn posted:

A friend of mine saw this comedian recently. I didn't know who he was, so she sent me this video. I get the main joke. It's not that hard to figure out. However, there are two major elements to this that I don't get. They are intentional, so I feel like they are either in reference to something, or some type of humor I'm not familiar with.

The first is that there appears to be four characters in this little skit. The guy with the bird, the bird itself, and two narrators. One narrator is speaking into a microphone in a room, way too quietly (I don't know if that's part of the joke, but I don't think it is) but the other is like in a hallway or something, much louder and with lots of reverb. Or possibly it's the same narrator -- the point though is that there are two distinct recording locations and two distinct tones/volumes from which the narrator(s) speaks. Why is one speaking quietly in a small room and the other loudly from the hallway? What does that articulate, what is it meant to express?

The second is at 1:58, there is a musical sting and it zooms in on the bird. This must be a reference to something.

My friend tells me, it's all just there to be funny. There are no references, nothing is built on previous memes or jokes or anything. The different styles, the music sting, it's to be funny. But how? Is it just monkeycheese randomness? I know that has quality in humor, but it doesn't feel random enough for it to be that.

Again, I understand the main joke. But these other elements are not just by accident; this guy (or his editor) made these cuts and edits and zooms and put it together for a purpose, but that purpose is absolutely lost to me.

There's nothing to get, it sucks and isn't funny

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
that post specifically or

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

that post specifically or

my posting specifically

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That video is an insult to corvids everywhere.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What if someone who looks like an anime watcher believed anime characters where realistic portrayals of very succesful people and consequently a good role model to copy especially for romantic success and packaged it as life advice instructional social media content to other people who might need romantic help, like people who look like they watch anime?

tl/dr what if ugly man copied pixie girl?

Life advice is another word for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE&t=51s

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Knormal posted:

That video is an insult to corvids everywhere.

I know right? Referring to a passerine as a fowl is just vulgar.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

What if someone who looks like an anime watcher believed anime characters where realistic portrayals of very succesful people and consequently a good role model to copy especially for romantic success and packaged it as life advice instructional social media content to other people who might need romantic help, like people who look like they watch anime?

tl/dr what if ugly man copied pixie girl?

Life advice is another word for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE&t=51s

I have a friend who says that if he’s elected president he will replace Congress with this music video, and I don’t know how he’ll do it but by god he has my vote

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

credburn posted:

It's also unfunny, and goes on for way to long. It's like an snl sketch. So he may have a future.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Master Twig posted:

I know right? Referring to a passerine as a fowl is just vulgar.

:hmmyes:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

freeedr posted:

He was shining this poo poo at the highway at night. It just glosses over that. Not to mention into office windows but the highway is the kicker

lol

Do highways deteriorate from light or something? In the video there aren't even drivers in the shot on the highway.

Same for office buildings? I'm pretty sure they're okay and nobody is there to be bothered.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its obnoxious A: and dangerous for drivers B:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

its obnoxious A:

Who gives a poo poo?

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

its obnoxious A: and dangerous for drivers B:

There were no drivers. I pointed this out in what you quoted and if you watched the video you would know that.

GIF Thread: i didn't watch the gif but I have strong opinions anyways

The Sean has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Feb 26, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The rules of flashing a high powered butt signal is serious business

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The Sean posted:

There were no drivers. I pointed this out in what you quoted and if you watched the video you would know that.

GIF Thread: i didn't watch the gif but I have strong opinions anyways

Hoisted by your own petard Mr., there's a driver at the 17/18 second mark!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nice Van My Man posted:

That's a driverless car.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nice Van My Man posted:

gently caress.

I am now complicit and endorsed Major Traffic Danger. With great butt power comes great responsibility and, if I'm honest with myself, I can't handle it. I'm glad the chonker here in this video had more trigger discipline than I would.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Even if there were no drivers in that particular instance, gently caress anyone who waves that kind of light around in a public area in general.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Nordick posted:

Even if there were no drivers in that particular instance, gently caress anyone who waves that kind of light around in a public area in general.

As LED and rear end workout technologies keep improving by leaps and bonds we'll soon be overwrought with rear end shaped lights more powerful than the sun blazing through people's retinas at rates rivaling the common cold.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

it looks about the same intensity as your average LED headlight tbh, get someone with those fuckers in your rearview mirror and you're hosed

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I'll jus' say it. I hate flashlights. I can't stand illuminated objects.

I refuse to see objects lit by godless witch torches, and those wielding them are godless and not of His domain. Flashlight it helps you see! Sure, see the devil!!! 🤣🤣🤣👹

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sound

https://i.imgur.com/tqA0uQL.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/iZZqpfM.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He poop out he own mouth
a shameful cucumber

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

:mods:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

god, i wish that were me

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KoRMaK posted:

god, i wish that were me

the ocean floor, the animal, or the tube?

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

KoRMaK posted:

god, i wish that were me

Have you tried getting enough fiber in your diet?

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

I should call her.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://cdn.imgchest.com/files/l4necadndb4.mp4

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Holy poo poo did that make my day. That was awesome.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I thought that Taghd fella looked familiar!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sx1zDGJzFE

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

scrolled onto the gif when it was halfway over and thought the chain was coming out from under her skirt lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hawowanlawow posted:

scrolled onto the gif when it was halfway over and thought the chain was coming out from under her skirt lol

The ben wa ball and chain

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

hawowanlawow posted:

Training the grip is very important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Azhais posted:

The ben wa ball and chain

:lol: