Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Anyone that makes the PC spreadsheet joke hasn't sat in an 8 hour meeting looking at actual spreadsheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Anyone that makes the PC spreadsheet joke hasn't sat in an 8 hour meeting looking at actual spreadsheets

Lmao, I'm a console player, we don't have meetings like that at CEX or KFC.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Disco Pope posted:

Lmao, I'm a console player, we don't have meetings like that at CEX or KFC.

I legit snorted out loud at this one lmao

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

The only way consoles hold back game development is maybe with graphics and graphics are loving dumb now. Hey how about instead of a photorealistic field you make a fun game instead? This stupid obsession with "ooh nooo we need all the bestest graphics to enjoy an games and those big meanies consoles are ruining it" is what's actually holding back games.

Games that try and sell because "woah look at that grafix" are bad and a symptom of bad game world ecosystem (the world). Just make fun games without jerking off over the pixels jfc.

Some loving Star Citizen brain poison to require visual perfection and realistic fidelity over a fun game, gently caress that right off.

its ironic to post that though since the biggest drivers in graphics improvements are AAA companies like ubisoft or mactivision (can we say that now?), rockstar who are primarily making money from console market.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

haldolium posted:

its ironic to post that though since the biggest drivers in graphics improvements are AAA companies like ubisoft or mactivision (can we say that now?), rockstar who are primarily making money from console market.

Depends on what you mean by graphics improvements. Those games are amazing looking because a lot of work was put into them by graphics artists and animators. Hardware power today is used to do the same thing but 4 times the resolution twice as fast. There's a lot of stuff happening under the hood which makes making games easier, sure, but we have already reached peak videogames in terms of fidelity.

Also PC overtook console revenue from videogames two years ago and sits at 25% more.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I play pc games from my couch on a big TV and I don't understand people wanting to play at a desk. Mouse and keyboard are wireless, or I use a gamepad depending on the game. PC is on the floor next to the TV but could easily be in another room

On business trips I can stream PC games to my phone, it's a built in Steam feature. Works great for turn-based stuff

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vic posted:

but we have already reached peak videogames in terms of fidelity.

games haven't even entered the uncanny valley yet

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

haldolium posted:

games haven't even entered the uncanny valley yet

You must've missed the 2000s.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Visual fidelity in games will continue to get better but it’s been diminishing returns for the last decade or more. Games hit a point where they already look very good and can only keep looking slightly gooder.

Everyone likes good graphics but I don’t think they have the wow factor they used to. That’s why there’s so many indie games and smaller productions that blow up and get huge. At the end of the day, people are just looking for fun/unique stuff cause every AAA game is just the same thing with a different paint job.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 27, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No improvement in graphics will ever be impressive as the one from the SNES to the N64

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Khanstant posted:

Off the shelf hardware includes those PC GPUs. The worst part is even if you spring for a real computer the team of eggheads you need to run it will only let you play chess.

They're the 3060 and 3060 laptop. The 1650 and the 1060 (which was the most common for years). They have performance somewhere between the 1060 and the 1080

I think this is just poor people buying acceptable GPUs.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

deep dish peat moss posted:

No improvement in graphics will ever be impressive as the one from the SNES to the N64

Don't you mean regression?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The n64/ps1 era of 3d games was so loving ugly.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vic posted:

You must've missed the 2000s.

you're deliberately missing the point. Graphics as a total has a lot of unsolved challenges, especially in simulation and simulated physical interaction. Fidelity has not peaked even remotely.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quote-Unquote posted:

Signalis is great (it's loving ugly too though dgmw)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quote-Unquote posted:

ymmv. i think a lot of them know they're ugly, so they leaned into a style and that can really work out for you. just like modern indies :v:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

haldolium posted:

you're deliberately missing the point. Graphics as a total has a lot of unsolved challenges, especially in simulation and simulated physical interaction. Fidelity has not peaked even remotely.

I'm not deliberately missing the point I am doing that naturally. Maybe give me a scenario in which this is appreciably true because we (human brains) need versimilitude not realism.

You can burn exceptional computational power on incredibly complex physical simulations to have something like two people kissing look real, or you can just have a much simpler solution that even looks better.

We're there, not worth the electricity even as it becomes cheaper to do.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just simple actions like picking up items or handing them to other characters. It still looks like poo poo. Is it fixable? Yes. But it's going to take a bit. It's why that stuff is usually off screen.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

haldolium posted:

The key point is that art direction used to be at the mercy of tech. Tech advancement enabled the realization of novel art directions.

It's just not the case anymore since the Xbox360/PS3 gen, at the cost of massive effort at the time, and effectively across the board nowadays.

Games are not designed around what is feasible anymore, and that does represent a massive paradigm shift.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 27, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Aramis posted:

Games are not designed around what is feasible anymore, and that does represent a massive paradigm shift.

Blah blah GAAS blah blah microtransactions blah blah.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

All gaming should be done on phones, or VR (a phone strapped to your head).

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Making games digital was a mistake.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You won't have realism until realistic smoke and realistic mirrors are in play.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
after seeing golden eye for the first time as an idiot kid i thought to myself "this is it. this is perfect realism. graphics can't possibly get any better than this." specifically, it was when another play switch weapons and their character's world model changed to reflect it.

i'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but it's funny to think back on

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

MSPain posted:

after seeing golden eye for the first time as an idiot kid i thought to myself "this is it. this is perfect realism. graphics can't possibly get any better than this." specifically, it was when another play switch weapons and their character's world model changed to reflect it.

i'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but it's funny to think back on

The difference is dimnishing returns on polycounts and you being a fully grown idiot adult.

e: That was harsh I'm sorry

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 27, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Kids today love low res style (as in lovely polygon stuff not literally low res). The only people who care about photorealism are olds and soon our eyes will be too bad for it to matter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

N64 games are ugly in retrospect but at the time the leap forward in graphical capabilities was mind-blowing. No improvement to graphics is ever gonna do that again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

haldolium posted:

*Is* that ironic? Is that even true? What do you even mean?

Like someone pointed out PC revenue for games is significantly higher than console revenue so unless you got the inside scoop I think you might be off a bit.

Oh, and the post was in response to someone literally saying graphics are held back by console so idunno go argue with them I guess.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

N64 games are ugly in retrospect but at the time the leap forward in graphical capabilities was mind-blowing. No improvement to graphics is ever gonna do that again.

The leap to HD was more impressive imo. Stuff like Fight Night 3, an early 360 title, was leagues ahead of any graphics on ps2 or Xbox.

N64 games were generally much more colourful than ps1 games at least and the shaded polygon look holds up better than many of the awful 3d textures of ps1 (and even lots of contemporary pc games)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vic posted:

You won't have realism until realistic smoke and realistic mirrors are in play.

I'm holding out for realistic ropes and pulleys...

Someone should make a new The Incredible Machine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There was a spiritual successor recentlyish. Contraption maker

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MSPain posted:

"this is it. this is perfect realism. graphics can't possibly get any better than this."

I had this same response first with the N64 and a second time with GameCube launch title Rogue Squadron 2. The difference was that the second time I was right.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I remember seeing an old man in Electronics Boutique watching a demo of NFL 2K on a display TV and when he realized it was a game he went “thats a video game?” with genuine awe in his voice

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Old men standing around watching football in department stores is one of my favorite genres of people. What ever happened to them

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I remember seeing an old man in Electronics Boutique watching a demo of NFL 2K on a display TV and when he realized it was a game he went “thats a video game?” with genuine awe in his voice

my older brother bought a 360 in like 2008 and picked up a copy of Fight Night. I spoke to him on the phone and he was telling me how he was absolutely blown away by the graphics and how real it looked.

I visited and saw he had the 360 hooked up via composite so it looked like absolute butt. Switched it to component (apparently he's an idiot and didn't think that all the other cables did anything) and holy poo poo his face when he saw the exact same game in HD.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I haven't played too much yet so I don't how good it is, but Atomic Heart is a very pretty looking game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Old men standing around watching football in department stores is one of my favorite genres of people. What ever happened to them

Their phones now stream them football*, privately.

*Not football

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

QuarkJets posted:

DVD menus have always sucked rear end and I wish they didn't exist. Like we seriously need to pass a loving law to get rid of that bullshit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Vakal posted:

I haven't played too much yet so I don't how good it is, but Atomic Heart is a very pretty looking game.

I really, really wanted to like that game, and it's got some cool concepts, but man, it just never got good enough for me. And I hate those loving security cameras and the game's alert system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Visual fidelity in games will continue to get better but it’s been diminishing returns for the last decade or more. Games hit a point where they already look very good and can only keep looking slightly gooder.

Everyone likes good graphics but I don’t think they have the wow factor they used to. That’s why there’s so many indie games and smaller productions that blow up and get huge. At the end of the day, people are just looking for fun/unique stuff cause every AAA game is just the same thing with a different paint job.

Visual fidelity isn't the only neat thing about better hardware. Even if the whole world has agreed to stay at n64 style graphics arbitrarily forever, the jump to GameCube would still be a boon because they can load whole levels with more stuff going with greater draw distance and AI and interactions for each thing. The next jump they can pull off Portal stuff having two instances of the same world loaded with physics interactions between them.

Having that that photorealistic plateau just provides nice even ground to build whatever you imagine on top of the nice foundation.