Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

everyone knows they're called vid-cons. sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Tetrabor posted:

For a different kind of scare, Eternal Darkness got me several times with the sanity gimmicks. I remember throwing my controller when it did the fake save screen wipe, and then again when it faked the controller disconnect while monsters attacked you.

I bought Eternal Darkness used and they absolutely got me with the screen thanking you for playing the demo and telling you to buy the full game once it's released. It wouldn't have been the first time GameStop did that to me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My grandmother calls them gameboys, we should call all video games gameboys from now on

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They're either nintendos or gameboys and that's the harsh reality of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're just advanced DVD menus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DVD menus have always sucked rear end and I wish they didn't exist. Like we seriously need to pass a loving law to get rid of that bullshit.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Tetrabor posted:

For a different kind of scare, Eternal Darkness got me several times with the sanity gimmicks. I remember throwing my controller when it did the fake save screen wipe, and then again when it faked the controller disconnect while monsters attacked you.

That game ruled! It admittedly wasn't that scary (although the bathtub jumpscare did get me), but the sanity stuff was really unique and fun. It was way too easy to regain your sanity, though.

Edit: Where's our remaster, Nintendo?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Is a text based mud a video game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

DVD menus have always sucked rear end and I wish they didn't exist. Like we seriously need to pass a loving law to get rid of that bullshit.

I was very impressed as a teen when I saw a dvd menu playing videos from several chapters at once, then later I realized it wasn’t reading multiple streams off the disc, it was just a looping custom video

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My games are organized by console and alphabetically. But I've been thinking of merging PS4/PS5 games and DS/3DS together. I've also considered rearranging by series/genre/whatever. So all the Marios together, console be damned.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Dinkum is very aptly named as the last time my gf was over, we just played that.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I showed Doom (1993) to a 12 year old family friend and they bought it on their own steam the next day.

Restored my faith a bit in these dark times :sniff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlCQp0HzS8Y&t=2s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Edit: Where's our remaster, Nintendo?

Pretty sure it’s never gonna happen unfortunately, because the project lead’s been more or less blacklisted from the industry and the lead writer is a convicted sex offender.

Which is a shame because yeah, drat good game.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

They're either nintendos or gameboys and that's the harsh reality of it.

I think you mean Atari you punk rear end kid.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

baalaagaa posted:

Yeah! To Hell to those children who didn't have Pac-Man on an Atari 2600

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

baalaagaa posted:

Imagine saying this out loud and just attacking yourself like this jfc I'm so sorry

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pac man on Atari was mid

breakout > tank > donkey kong > missile command > pac man

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pac Man on Atari made cool sounds. And moved weird. And was apparently programmed in like 3 days or something insane like that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah the sounds were pretty good

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pac Man on the 2600 was laughably bad, like how do you gently caress up Pac Man?

Now that I think about it, the only good 2600 games were Kaboom and Defender

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

pac man on Atari was mid

breakout > tank > donkey kong > missile command > pac man

I think you used the > when you meant to use the <
donkey kong is still in the middle

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Companies outside Atari seemed to be able to do some cool games for the limits of the hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entombed_(Atari_2600)

I remember playing this a lot as a kid and was surprised a few years ago when I read an article about people studying this obscure game some 30+ years after it came out.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Even if you grew up in the nes era, atari was totally unplayable

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
unpopular video game opinion: some atari games were fun

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Even if you grew up in the nes era, atari was totally unplayable

lol, seaquest and chopper command were a lot of fun; I own the Activision Hits UMD for my PSP and some of the games are still kind of fun.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i had a sinclair spectrum when i was like a young young kid, my over abiding memory of it is my parents convincing me it could hear my voice because they'd put on what I think was Trivial Pursuit and when I called out the right answer on the multi choice quizz they'd be standing behind me hitting the buttons and convincing me it was magic

my folks did that kind of poo poo all the time, we have a monument in the centre of our village and my Mum told me it was of the guy that shot the bullet that killed Hitler, she also told me that Scotland were cheated out of victory by England in the 1966 World Cup (the famous, they think it's all over goal) - for one it wasn't Scotland it was Germany and for 2 the goal put them 4-2 up so it was inconsequential.

with parents lying to me like that its no wonder i latched onto videogames so hard

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

we have a monument in the centre of our village and my Mum told me it was of the guy that shot the bullet that killed Hitler

One would think they told you it was an Ancient that the village needs to protect from enemy creeps.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, seaquest and chopper command were a lot of fun; I own the Activision Hits UMD for my PSP and some of the games are still kind of fun.

Are you trying to convince me or you?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I simply started at the first generation of consoles with an OG Xbox.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Adventure was the pinnacle of 2600 gaming

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

didn't expect to mention Tunnel Runner twice in a couple of days ITT but here we are

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I remember going through an atari/coleco phase on my ps2 because used retro game rereleases were practically free.

I must have enjoyed them but also I doubt I've put a serious effort into playing any pre-NES console games in the subsequent two decades.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Yes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

credburn posted:

I only play computer games.

Video games are for kids.

what's a computer

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I had an Atari 800XL well after the NES came out because we found one for cheap somewhere and I couldn't afford an NES.

I played the usual Pac Man (good version), Donkey Kong, DigDug, Space Invaders, Missile Command. One of the more interesting games was a text adventure Guild of Thieves. I never made it anywhere but it was good about trying to represent the nonsense I typed as a kid as something my character was doing. The computer came with about a million pirated games on floppy so I played all that old garbage as a desperate kid.

I don't know, besides Pac Man and nostalgia I don't think there was anything from that era worth revisiting. Anything before Super Mario Bros. is pretty rough.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i had a sinclair spectrum when i was like a young young kid, my over abiding memory of it is my parents convincing me it could hear my voice because they'd put on what I think was Trivial Pursuit and when I called out the right answer on the multi choice quizz they'd be standing behind me hitting the buttons and convincing me it was magic

my folks did that kind of poo poo all the time, we have a monument in the centre of our village and my Mum told me it was of the guy that shot the bullet that killed Hitler, she also told me that Scotland were cheated out of victory by England in the 1966 World Cup (the famous, they think it's all over goal) - for one it wasn't Scotland it was Germany and for 2 the goal put them 4-2 up so it was inconsequential.

with parents lying to me like that its no wonder i latched onto videogames so hard

This explains so so much.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Waltzing Along posted:

This explains so so much.

Yeah, the statue of the guy who shot Hitler is actually in Inverness, much further north.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Pac Man on the 2600 was laughably bad, like how do you gently caress up Pac Man?

Now that I think about it, the only good 2600 games were Kaboom and Defender

Easy, they tried putting it on console and it came out console quality. Plus people's hardware was so crappy the game had to run at a tiny resolution since they couldn't fit it all on one screen.

Nothing has changed really, games are still held back by consoles and people lazily continue to rely on inferior off the shelf hardware for their computers.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Keeping up with, understanding and implementing computer upgrades is a hobby in itself. Which is fine, but a lot of people can't be hosed with it and just want to know Bloodborne or Zelda will work when they sit down on the sofa to play it.

If people aren't "into" computers, they'll have a laptop or even a tablet that's plenty for their non-gaming needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ms Pacman for the 2600 was alright, it plays fairly close to the arcade and while it still looks and sounds like poo poo, it at least vaguely resembles the original game. If they had gotten it as good the first time around, it'd probably be well regarded. The game crash would still have happened though.

Pitfall II's game design is pretty modern, it's not labyrinthian to the point of being annoying, there's some light puzzle solving, the collision and game feel are tight. It is the only good Atari 2600 game.