Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Triarii posted:

The fact that doing a sick max payne dodge out of the way of a charger and unloading your gun into it until its back half explodes in a shower of gore is objectively badass, and yet they discourage that so heavily in favor of some dumb thing where you shoot it in the leg twice, is wack

If they don't reduce charger spawn rate they need to make the backside of the charger way more vulnerable so that a team doesn't need as many heavy weapons, imo.

The biggest problem right now is volume, and that is the primary reason why the railgun is so important. When there are like 5 chargers spawning every minute no other weapon can keep up just in sheer ammo count and reload speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Full damage vs Charger rear end, and you can remove the railgun from the game for all I care

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'd like a good in-game documentation pass to clarify what enemy parts count as which armor type and all that, a proper bestiary would be a great opportunity for further commitment to the bit.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but you usually only need one shot.

You get 3 brood commanders with an army of warriors coming at you, and your railgun and primary will probably get run dry.

AC can handle the whole bunch of them in a fraction of the time and still have 2/3rds of your ammo left.

The 1 shot vs 2 shots thing falls under takes slightly longer.

You can deal with a group of trash like that with a cluster bomb / airstrike or by simply running away. Because they can't catch you. Unlike a charger or titan.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 28, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Full damage vs Charger rear end, and you can remove the railgun from the game for all I care

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Started a trivial mission to practice the grenade launcher I just unlocked and had 3 dudes drop in and start throwing mortar turrets everywhere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dandywalken posted:

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Started a trivial mission to practice the grenade launcher I just unlocked and had 3 dudes drop in and start throwing mortar turrets everywhere.

Yeah this happens. I forgot and left my matchmaking at "Public" and while I was trying to test out the orbital smoke/smoke grenades against bots on a level 7 evacuation people joined and started putting themselves through a meat grinder while I was crawling through shrubs.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I like that this even has the right stratagem code.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What kind of firepower do you need to explode an automaton factory without having to run up and chuck a grenade into it? I know some orbital/airstrike stratagems can do it, but I haven't yet found one that will scratch 'em.

Being able to pop one of those things from a safe distance would be neat.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Eagle airstrike or 500kg bomb. Not sure on precision strike?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

The fact that doing a sick max payne dodge out of the way of a charger and unloading your gun into it until its back half explodes in a shower of gore is objectively badass, and yet they discourage that so heavily in favor of some dumb thing where you shoot it in the leg twice, is wack

I've never used the railgun and still find I can rarely do this because non-explosive weapons don't do any damage to it and the explosive weapons often aren't safe to shoot the butt because it's right next to the helldiver it was chasing

Darth Walrus posted:

What kind of firepower do you need to explode an automaton factory without having to run up and chuck a grenade into it? I know some orbital/airstrike stratagems can do it, but I haven't yet found one that will scratch 'em.

The grenade launcher and autocannon can do it, but you rarely have the angle where the autocannon can hit deep enough into the vent to do it

I've had the cluster bomb erase a couple factories for some reason but it isn't supposed to damage buildings so I think the bots had just left explosive barrels next to them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Non-strat wise:

GL should be able to do it, autocannon does it for sure (aim for the flap and it will deflect down to blow up the factory). And you can always shoot something explosive into the building when the front doors open.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Eagle runs can pop a couple of they're close to each other and you have the right angle.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Legit Businessman posted:

Non-strat wise:

GL should be able to do it, autocannon does it for sure (aim for the flap and it will deflect down to blow up the factory). And you can always shoot something explosive into the building when the front doors open.

The fact you can chuck a grenade through the door when the robot opens it to walk out is one of the little details I love about this game.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Nuebot posted:

At no point did I say the railgun was bad, just that in that specific example cited it wasn't actually any different than another gun and like three people jumped in to get mad over it.
the other weapons aren't bad, they're just not nearly as versatile as the rail gun is, making the rail gun more appealing. The real gun is equal to the other options and the vast majority of situations while at the same time not using a backpack. That's it, it's not magic.

Nuebot posted:

I'm on team nerf the rail gun now because lmao
Just boost, don't nerf. This isn't a competitive game. Make the others more useful in general instead of making one weapon worse. Making a weapon worse feels lovely. Making multiple weapons better feels great!

Carrots are better than sticks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have been playing with just randoms and getting to the harder difficulties is nice since people actually coordinate. I had some really miserable games at normal and challenging to the point that hard was easier since people seemed to want to use voice chat.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

1stGear posted:

The biggest advantage the railgun has over other options is not needing a backpack. I love the autocannon, but having to take a backpack with it does limit my options. Whereas with the railgun I can take a support weapon that is just as effective while also taking a Guard Dog or shield or supply pack. That's a pretty significant boost regardless of what faction or difficulty you're one.

I suspect Arrowhead's intention was that the whole team reload thing would make the RR or autocannon more effective than the railgun as long as you have a buddy loading for you, but in actual practice that doesn't ever happen.
I pretty much exclusively did team-loading with the RR in Helldivers 1 but the problem in 2 is that because you no longer are forced to share a screen with your teammates, you're no longer guaranteed to have the user and loader near each other. I read a suggestion somewhere that said they should change it so you can team-load off the user's backpack, which I think would help a lot because it means that 1) you'll always have your ammo on-hand, and 2) anyone can just run up and help load, instead of the one specific teammate that may currently be on the other side of the fight. I think that fits better with the dynamic of the game compared to the first.

I can't say that this would help see an increase in team-loading for the average player, but for coordinated teams (or at least with the friends I play with) it'll probably help due to the lower opportunity cost of only needing a teammate, any teammate, to help load.

(also they should buff the RR to one-tap chargers to the head again like the first game)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Darth Walrus posted:

A Spear can kill them from any angle, IF THE loving THING WILL LOCK.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darth Walrus posted:

Early on the starter orbital precision strike and the eagle airstrike will do it. Gotta land the precision strike very close to it, hucking it directly at the factory often has it bounce far enough away to not kill it. Eagle airstrike can have the same problem but it has a wider AOE and more reliably does the job.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Benagain posted:

Eagle airstrike or 500kg bomb. Not sure on precision strike?

precision strike definitely blows up buildings i use it for that all the time. they have to be pretty close to the impact point though

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Owl Inspector posted:

The grenade launcher and autocannon can do it, but you rarely have the angle where the autocannon can hit deep enough into the vent to do it

As long as you're in the front arc, its extremely easy to kill factories with the autocannon, just aim for the top part if the vent that goes up and it'll deflect downward into the vent and destroy it, I snipe them all the time from way beyond throwing distance

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah running around in the bush with an AC being peppered by lasers while popping factories is extremely effective and funny.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Fajita Queen posted:

If they don't reduce charger spawn rate they need to make the backside of the charger way more vulnerable so that a team doesn't need as many heavy weapons, imo.

The biggest problem right now is volume, and that is the primary reason why the railgun is so important. When there are like 5 chargers spawning every minute no other weapon can keep up just in sheer ammo count and reload speed.

Honestly I think the fact that the top end for both factions is only charger/Bile Titan and Hulk/Tank is probably one of the biggest reasons that Railgun is so popular/effective/pseudo-required. Make a top end spawn that doesn't require armour cracking and/or rewards splash damage and the Railgun becomes a lot more situational in favour of grenade launcher or Autocannon. Maybe change the way penetration vs damage works to really set Railgun/Recoilless (And maybe some minor recoilless buffs) apart and you could find that the Railgun goes from a versatile, one-size-fits-all weapon to being a solid include that still has places where it falls short.

(make a big mech that Recoilless/autocannon can take the limbs off, but railgun can't.)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Phenotype posted:

I burned another $40 to play this from the comfort of my couch, and what in the absolute gently caress? It doesn't bring my progression across to PS5? The Steam version wouldn't let me play until I went through Captcha Hell to link it to my Playstation account! It never even occurred to me to check, because why would I need to do all that if I wasn't creating The Helldivers Account Linked To My Playstation Profile?

I don't think they do refunds so I played a couple hours anyway, and man, I feel a lot more vulnerable on a controller. I don't know how you play without being able to whip the mouse around to target all the little bugs that rush you. I also wish there was a better solution to push-to-talk than using the PS5 mic button, cause it brings up a little Playstation mute notice every time you press it.

In the notification settings of your PS5 you can turn off the stupid mute notification banner. But honestly the natural noise canceling on the PS5 mic is pretty good, unless you have another person talking in the room or a screaming child, you can trust the voice activation.

The lack of cross progression does suck, the devs have said they want to implement cross progression and it is scheduled to 'come soon'. =\

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

The 1 shot vs 2 shots thing falls under takes slightly longer.

You can deal with a group of trash like that with a cluster bomb / airstrike or by simply running away. Because they can't catch you. Unlike a charger or titan.

You can absolutely outrun chargers and titans. The only thing that can chase you down is the hulk.

Also this whole discussion is hinged on the idea of not using strategems.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You cannot outrun chargers, they are faster than players even in the fastest armor.

You can trick them into getting stuck, or sidetrack them with sentries to gain enough distance that they lose interest, but you absolutely cannot just straight up outrun them.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fajita Queen posted:

You cannot outrun chargers, they are faster than players even in the fastest armor.

You can trick them into getting stuck, or sidetrack them with sentries to gain enough distance that they lose interest, but you absolutely cannot just straight up outrun them.

Yea chargers are fast bois

The most reliable way to lose them is to skirt against an obstacle and they will bash their shins and stop chasing you.
They're pretty easy to outrun and 'lose' this way.

The bots are a little more persistent in keeping track of the player - but also a lot slower.

---

I would love to see some more alternative options for things like the grenade launcher - give it the option to run phosphorus grenades, or hell, flashbangs. Flashbangs in general could be pretty handy for those many circumstances you just need a few seconds of breathing space to fiddle a console or suchlike.
Someone earlier suggested giving the SPEAR a direct-fire or fly by wire control mode - that would own bones.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 28, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just make the spear work the ways meant to. It's a javelin.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fajita Queen posted:

Yes, you out run them by rodeoing them into something and then leaving. I outrun chargers all the time using this technique.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

JBP posted:

Just make the spear work the ways meant to. It's a javelin.

Is the lock-on the biggest issue? Ive only seen one friend run the thing tbh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah it literally will not lock on 80% of the time. No amount of tinkering and testing has revealed a way to make it reliable, it's just busted rn.

It's a huge shame because when you actually get a lock it's awesome.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nuebot posted:

Because I was specifically referring to the context of "just shoot it twice in the leg then swap weapons"

Isn't this very specifically something the auto cannon can not do? I was under the impression the AC doesn't strip charger armor. Was I mislead?

Also, for destroying factories, keep in mind the vents aren't the only week spot. Any explosive weapon through the open door should blow it up too. (I can't get EATs to work for vents, so I do that instead)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 28, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

JBP posted:

Yeah it literally will not lock on 80% of the time. No amount of tinkering and testing has revealed a way to make it reliable, it's just busted rn.

It's a huge shame because when you actually get a lock it's awesome.

Which is really funny because Battlefield used to have really terrible bugs around the Javelin when they first introduced it. Guess it's not that simple of a thing to program.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Dandywalken posted:

if lock-on actually worked then the issue of it only having 4 shots AND needing a backpack would be even more annoying

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Fajita Queen posted:

It isn't about raw run speed and I've outran dozens by now because high difficulty puts 1-2 of them at every point of interest I'm opening a pod or resupplying at. I regularly run across fields being chased by them because they are definitely as fast in speed as the player and are the hardest thing to lose besides stalkers. Other than every obstacle, narrow passage or rock they can't climb stopping them you just change directions before they catch up with you to do an animation to hit you and you lose them until they catch back up. Taking the time to charge at you if they get close enough uses a starting animation and an ending animation. Eventually they just turn around to go back closer to their spawn point.

They do regularly get annoying enough i'll take the time to kill them, especially if i've arrived at the next point of interest and need a minute to grenade a hatch or open a pod without getting ragdolled into a wall. It happens a lot due to their persistence and base speed but it isn't impossible to outrun them due to an Olympic comparison of the Charger smoking the player in a 100m dash.

In the same way a Titan's raw walking speed is probably faster than a player sprint but they need a quarter mile to turn around anything they can't climb over and then stop to throw spit that is easy to avoid for 5+ seconds every time they get near you. You just change directions before the spit and it never hits you and they never actually catch up despite being faster than you. They too gently caress off and stride into the distance seeking their spawn.

Stalkers are the only problem because they are so fast they ride your rear end and just melee you in the back constantly doing a shitload of damage. Those you have to kill on sight.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 28, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I died and 30 samples fell through the map

Democracy has failed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

had a random level 24 diver jump into my squad of mostly level 10s and played through several missions with us. he quickly realized that we were just following him and didn't leave us behind but also didn't let us ever slow down. i've been struggling with getting some of my friends to understand that speed and picking engagements is really important and for some reason my friends seeing this guy do it so well made it suddenly click for them

we were heading to the extraction after a long bot map and he timed out from the server right before we got to the point. god speed, random pubbie. you were a great teacher and a friend :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't this very specifically something the auto cannon can not do? I was under the impression the AC doesn't strip charger armor. Was I mislead?

The auto cannon is capable of stripping armor from the backlegs of the charger, and even killing them with another shot or two. Trickier than just blasting it's front with the railgun but it feels good to pull off.