Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'm only starting to notice from that "light blue text" thing that appears that you can mouse over and it explains its from a past choice.

Most of it is accurate, people you've saved or sided with, but I noticed every so often when I check its something I'm almost certain I didn't do or it's back to back in the same conversation and giving contradictions, like the Heinrix example.

It might be more helpful if it actually showed the string of choices leading to it. I'm kinda thinking highlighting choice results like that is a bad call because reading the text I wouldn't have thought twice about how my choices affected that scene. But I'm also generally in favor of narratives hiding the cause and effect of choices in the narrative itself and not calling attention to it in a gamified way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Warmachine posted:

It might be more helpful if it actually showed the string of choices leading to it. I'm kinda thinking highlighting choice results like that is a bad call because reading the text I wouldn't have thought twice about how my choices affected that scene. But I'm also generally in favor of narratives hiding the cause and effect of choices in the narrative itself and not calling attention to it in a gamified way.

in a world where owlcat was running a tight enough ship that mistakes weren't all over the place, i'd agree, but as it stands this is the only way they'll ever untangle all the missing/incorrect flags

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Haven't been paying too close attention to the thread and no idea what the consensus is, but: Act 3 sucks rear end. It's like the max payne baby crying nightmare level but stretched out for hours

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Is there lots of moody hyperlucid monologuing?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Quicksilver6 posted:

Is there lots of moody hyperlucid monologuing?

Naw, that's not really what I remember. I just remember that I'm supposed to feel like poo poo and everything sucks and it's long

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

George Sex - REAL posted:

Haven't been paying too close attention to the thread and no idea what the consensus is, but: Act 3 sucks rear end. It's like the max payne baby crying nightmare level but stretched out for hours

There's a few things that are basically mandatory to go into Act 3 knowing or having. Medkits that cure traumas, a psyker party member (enemies have a permanent buff you can shut down for 2 rounds with any psyker damage) oh and that you have party members capable of making -50 and higher difficulty skill checks for Lore:Xeno, Coercion, Persuasion, and maybe tech/logic.

So unless your PC fills the role you really, really need, Pasqal, Yrielt, and Idira/Heinrix, and then 2 others. The process of rescuing and recovering all them is also a grind, those insane high skill checks start coming fast and frequent and there's 3 in a row during a single conversation you need to make or you die.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I like the leveling system to a point... but sometimes it does feel like a chore to update every character every twenty minutes. But this game slaps.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Warmachine posted:

One of the things in the Trader's favor is that part of the Imperial brainwashing is to respect your betters.

It helps that all the Rogue Traders in this game are genuinely awe-inspiring personages. None of them controls fewer than five planets. In the tabletop game there are a lot more upjumped riffraff among the ranks of rogue traders but in the Owlcat game they are all serious big deal head honchos.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pentyne posted:

I expect Iconoclast choices to have lovely outcomes and endings.

I don't expect the game to directly say "you sold your soul Chaos fool!" and then flag future consequences with that choice.

It doesn't, normally. Your flags are just severely bugged.

Iconoclast is the only good ending/outcome and pretty much all but states "yes doing the right thing is hard and no one in the Empire will reward you for it but it's the only way forward".

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Captain Oblivious posted:

It doesn't, normally. Your flags are just severely bugged.

Iconoclast is the only good ending/outcome and pretty much all but states "yes doing the right thing is hard and no one in the Empire will reward you for it but it's the only way forward".

Chaos

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I regret going heretic my first playthrough. Mostly because I lost half my party for a bugged out broken companion.

My post patch Iconoclast run feels like the ideal first playthrough.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Has anyone actually done the corrupting Heinrix content? Is it any good?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought it was cut with a lot of other corruption content and the closest thing to it is his romance flags?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Terrible Opinions posted:

But he's already in the Inquisition!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

But he's already in the Inquisition!

But only an Interrogator at the moment. He can be more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

But only an Interrogator at the moment. He can be more.
That's true. Every moment he has to follow me around a map is a moment when he could be stuffing a Chaos-encoded dataslate into his mouth. Really, we're holding him back.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I decided to finally pick this up since it got a major patch and hotfix. Restarted as a Forgeworld Crime Lord Crimeworld Forgelord since my first four companions had no Int.
I took the mobility implant and I'm attempting to be a high-MP skirmisher applying an axe to the faces of ranged enemies in cover.

I'm confused about a couple things:

If I use Sure-Fire Plan and then Charge, am I going to get the moving buff, the attack buff, or both?

If I'm uninjured, is that a lot of wounds or no wounds? I now think it's just HP by a more confusing name, but at first I thought it was the other way around and made some bad character choices.
I haven't been wounded yet, so how can I have fewer of nothing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Wounds = HP. You get full wounds in each battle.

If you get hosed up you get Injuries. Medkits can fix Fresh Injuries. Other ones are a stacking debuff until you go back to the mothership I believe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nessus posted:

Wounds = HP. You get full wounds in each battle.

If you get hosed up you get Injuries. Medkits can fix Fresh Injuries. Other ones are a stacking debuff until you go back to the mothership I believe.

Fresh injuries usually occur from taking too much damage in battle or getting reduced to 0 HP/wounds.

Over time they then turn into old injuries. Old injuries can turn into traumas as well.

Traumas are the main serious debuff, like -20 to multiple stats. Special medkits can remove traumas otherwise you need to return to the ship. You'll get traumas often from running through traps. Sometimes failing skill checks as well.

One of the origins, death world I think, has abilities that let you get bonuses from stacking injuries and traumas but I would be shocked if you could make it work without an extremely specific build.

For Surefire Plan and Charge, I tried it and could not tell if it was working for the attack or the movement, or even at all. It could be that it only triggers off of the standard attack action, the standard move action, or a non-damage ability on enemies.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

40k's conflicts and threats are regularly written in such a way as to make the hardline genocidal and fascist stances of many factions at least somewhat understandable even when they are immoral and self-defeating, and I'm never quite sure what to make of that fact. Is it satire of propaganda? Is it just the means to the ends of writing a hellhole dystopia?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There are many authors in the universe. A lot of them write stories that are just background for a battle. They can't go deep into the satire and they don't want to sound clownish, so they often speak as in-universe characters who truly believe in thier official BS. The artist is not obliged to add a disclaimer about the author not actually agreeing with the genocidal characters on display.

I've heard warhammer characters being compared to pirates and I think it's a good comparison. Everybody likes pirates with thier eyepatches, parrots, hooks, ships, pieces of eight. Children love pirates. In media pirates usually have some stories justifying them (see Sabatini's Captain Blood). Yet nobody is worried about pirate apologism, everyone understands that piracy is dumb and bad for everyone. It's clear their coolness is divorced from reality, you wouldn't worry about a child who shouts they're a pirate and swings a toy sword. Spacemarine (and other cool Warhammer guys) coolness exists without justifying their evil nature just the same way. You need some justification present to make specific characters relateable even if everyone involved in the situation is still a horrible person.

You can also look at the deeper level. Pretending that evil can't justify its ways and is always unapologetically obviously evil is more dishonest than portraying an evil character with a flimsy justification for their actions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually piracy was good and cool. It's not morally wrong to steal silver or sugar produced by brutal slave labor systems. You can steal from the Spanish Empire. It's always morally correct.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
W40k is never taken seriously except by the people who need to take it seriously to validate their own fascist opinions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

W40k is never taken seriously except by the people who need to take it seriously to validate their own fascist opinions.

I'm serious about dating my xenos wife.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I'm serious about dating my xenos wife.
The Emperor of Mankind is dead

dead serious about going to Gork & Mork Land!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pentyne posted:

You're not allowed to use an anime avatar to post such valid opinions.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Griddle of Love posted:

40k's conflicts and threats are regularly written in such a way as to make the hardline genocidal and fascist stances of many factions at least somewhat understandable even when they are immoral and self-defeating, and I'm never quite sure what to make of that fact. Is it satire of propaganda? Is it just the means to the ends of writing a hellhole dystopia?

It's mostly just the nature of wanting to make a place for tabletop wargaming that gives everybody a reason to fight everybody else all the time. Narrative, story, and thematic concerns take a real far backseat to those, and are mostly driven by individual authors writing their stories in the setting.

A lot of the printed stories are just face value action adventures of brave heroes defending humanity by killing the vile threat anyways, and the narrative driven in the editions and events of the tabletop game almost always takes that face value reading, since humans and especially space marines are the vast majority of models sold and armies played.

The stories that actually work with the satirical underpinnings of the setting are outnumbered but very good. There's still a bit of a dichotomy between 40k as a colorful and toyetic playground (which is cool) and a dark dystopia with aspirations towards serious drama (also cool) and if anything it being both at the same time is what makes it appealing.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 29, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

pentyne posted:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The game kind of does make you feel like you're really going against the grain of the universe by being a "good" guy and even the people you're helping treat you like an idiot. I'm sure it's still the most common way to play the game

EDIT: Idira regularly kills herself in the first turn and jesus christ, forget it. There's no trade off. I keep her in my party to spite myself

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 29, 2024

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I think Idira was the first person I benched as soon as possible. She came back out for her quest and that was it pretty much. Think the chances can have her mass-murder things, but early game it wasn't worth it. And by the time the risk could have been worth it, I already have better strats from other party members.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
40k is satire if the fascists are wrong despite being in charge of the setting.

40k is nazi propaganda if the fascist/dogmatic approach is the correct one.

The game is satire but a whole lot of people wish it was propaganda.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hobby fascists take Starship Troopers at face value as a "Service Guarantees Citizenship" pro-militarism "doing your duty" propaganda piece.

You literally cannot make a piece of satire that won't be taken seriously by some type of lunatics.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I soured on Idira a bit when she replaced herself with bloodletter very early in the first fight after the tutorial, but it really doesn't take long for that sort of thing to go from a certain loss to a fun diversion and bonus xp.

I keep her around for the cryptic prophecies, cool voice acting, and to spite the people who maintain that the only correct choice is to "blam her immediately"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Does anyone know what triggers the master of munitions losing their poo poo after the prologue? It is a free 3 alignment points that you just don't get occasionally. I'm thinking it is possibly due to your background but I'm not sure.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone know what triggers the master of munitions losing their poo poo after the prologue? It is a free 3 alignment points that you just don't get occasionally. I'm thinking it is possibly due to your background but I'm not sure.

Illustrious Glory has Hime keep his cool. Feat of Greatness gets you 3 alignment points. Not sure about Apex of Brilliance, haven't used that in character generation yet.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Servetus posted:

Illustrious Glory has Hime keep his cool. Feat of Greatness gets you 3 alignment points. Not sure about Apex of Brilliance, haven't used that in character generation yet.

Thanks for this. I wonder if it evens out later on. I wouldn't worry so much but my last playthrough made it clear that there aren't enough points to max anything out, so it feels like every point you can get is important.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

I would really struggle to find an example of human civilization at any point in actual history that is as lovely as the imperium. It's not a good time at all for like 99.9999% of humanity and even the people who are in relatively cushy situations still live in fear.

There are other science fiction dystopias that actually seem like they would be a bit of a wash from where we seem to be heading (alpha complex seems pretty nice TBH, thank you friend computer) but 40K or even 30K are definitely not that.

my friend have you heard the news about the fourth stimpire

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

KPC_Mammon posted:

40k is satire if the fascists are wrong despite being in charge of the setting.

40k is nazi propaganda if the fascist/dogmatic approach is the correct one.

The game is satire but a whole lot of people wish it was propaganda.

Yeah, I guess.

I wish the Chaos and Dogmatic choices could have more nuanced approaches or outcomes, but I suppose that's not what this game/setting is. The only "being nice" path in the game has all of your pals treat you like an rear end in a top hat and has it constantly blowing up in your face. The only choice the game seems to like and tell you "good job!" at is doing genocide or mass murder.

Not crazy about it. Tyranny was better

EDIT: I kind of want to do a heretical run through, but I know it's very buggy and seems to make you crazy, irredeemably bad. Chaos only exists as a device to make fascism appear correct

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 29, 2024

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

George Sex - REAL posted:

EDIT: I kind of want to do a heretical run through, but I know it's very buggy and seems to make you crazy, irredeemably bad. Chaos only exists as a device to make fascism appear correct

Worst mistake I made was doing heretical first. I'll come back around to it come some DLC, since I imagine that will be patched good last. It was pretty cool while it was good though, but losing all the content of half my party to get a broken companion sucked hard.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Arglebargle III posted:

Actually piracy was good and cool. It's not morally wrong to steal silver or sugar produced by brutal slave labor systems. You can steal from the Spanish Empire. It's always morally correct.

They also stole slaves and then sold them