Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I remember once I had to send our an all employee email asking whose iphone I found on the shelf next to the toilet.

It was the director of HR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sfwarlock posted:

Update to the update. I misheard, the keyboard was found ON the urinal, not IN it. A brave volunteer, using two layers of gloves, reports it is still functioning. Security camera footage is being pulled and HR is involved. People are going to get a come-to-Jesus meeting or two...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. The new hire's travel plans got snarled and he'll be here on the 29th. Fortunately for all concerned.

I see they realized that not fixing this immediately was the wrong move

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Back when I was doing desktop deployments, it did always bug me that new folks got new awesome gear while folks who have been there for ages had old gear, but gently caress, if your gear isn't good enough go to your boss and have them request new gear from IT.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I keep coming back to putting a keyboard in the toilets, what sort of dickhead behaviour is that

the same kind that gets mad when they don't have the absolute newest shiny toy

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

sfwarlock posted:

Update: the big monitor and the trackball have not been found. The side monitors were "reallocated" by management who thought it unfair the new guy got fancy gear while they didn't, and basically were powertripping, and the keyboard was found in the urinal in the nearest men's room.

My management is taking a very haha-boys-will-be-boys attitude, which possibly pisses me off more.

Steal your managers' poo poo since clearly that's okay

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

:10bux: the culprits unless fired will result in pissing off the new hire to the point where they leave

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Raymond T. Racing posted:

I see they realized that not fixing this immediately was the wrong move
On the other hand, someone verified that the keyboard is working, meaning they intend to use it after it's been on a urinal.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got dragged into a call while I was cooking dinner a little after 5. Being end of month and all, nobody being able to log into the accounting invoice software is kind of a big deal.

Turns out one of my infosec teammates was loving around in zscaler internet access and decided to block every IE version below 11, without any thought, change request, anything.

Guess what this accounting software uses still, somehow? There’s a god drat IE6 user agent string in the log events for the denies.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

The Mattybee posted:

Steal your managers' poo poo since clearly that's okay

Oh, we (IT) all have the $160 Sceptre monitors that are not color accurate, not HDR, 70hz, and tend to flicker like an dying florescent after a few months.

Cause IT doesn't need the good gear, obviously.

Fil5000 posted:

I'm assuming they just swapped it for their own in office equipment so it's just moving poo poo around which is lovely but not actually a crime.

I mean, they're moving/using stuff that's not theirs without permission. That counts as twocking in my book.

Thanks Ants posted:

I keep coming back to putting a keyboard in the toilets, what sort of dickhead behaviour is that

My theory is that whoever lifted it went to the bathroom carrying it, put it on top of the urinal, did the thing, went to wash (God I hope), and forgot it was up there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, if you can drive a keyboard that's gonna make people real jelly.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ponzicar posted:

At my old job, after an angry customer had shown up in the lobby (this wasn't a business where customers would ever show up in person) they decided to install a panic button at the front desk, which would make a light flash in the I.T. area. They never said what they expected us to do if the light started flashing.

Panic, obviously.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah, I see that with the new thread name, a mod has given in and done the pee-dful!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sfwarlock posted:

I mean, they're moving/using stuff that's not theirs without permission. That counts as twocking in my book.

I dunno, I view it as a bit more like moving stuff around the shelves/freezers in a supermarket. It's a dick move, it makes someone's life more difficult and it might result in stuff getting damaged but unless you try to take the stuff out of the building without paying it's not theft.

I am glad that the dickheads responsible are going to get SOME sort of comeuppance, although I assume that the power tripping managers will receive no consequences

Xerol posted:

Panic, obviously.

Should have rerigged the button to a sign in the lobby that says "please do not press this button again".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A spec bucket and a pissy keyboard, truly we live in enlightened times

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I can't get over the fact that it was multiple people pulling this poo poo, and not a single asshat. What the gently caress

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Several years ago I returned from a week long holiday to discover that the ergonomic mouse I had brought from home had been replaced with a generic Dell number that was encrusted with orange filth and didn't register left clicks.

Apparently someone's mouse broke and rather than go through the proper channels when I wasn't here to replace it just took mine instead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sfwarlock posted:

I'm sorry it cracks me up that this is a thing

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kurieg posted:

Several years ago I returned from a week long holiday to discover that the ergonomic mouse I had brought from home had been replaced with a generic Dell number that was encrusted with orange filth and didn't register left clicks.

Apparently someone's mouse broke and rather than go through the proper channels when I wasn't here to replace it just took mine instead.

Generally my office is good at not touching people's poo poo. But one day not that long ago I got back from vacation to find my headset was moved to another desk. Like, come on, of all things, that's gross.

I wrapped it up with all the wires for my personal keyboard and mouse so it had to be 100% intentional since there was no mistaking that the owner of the headset was the same owner of the other stuff. I started bringing it home and just leaving the headset in my car.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Alex,

Why are you so happy you're full-time WFH and don't ever have to deal with an office environment again?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
But what about The Collaboration????????????

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

I can collaborate via email! And slack!!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I can collaborate via email! And slack!!

During work-from-home, my boss had an all-team camera-required standup at the beginning of the shift every day. I accused him privately of doing it to make sure everyone wasn't working from bed. He did not deny it.

For the next month, my custom backgrounds were of ever more increasingly ridiculously ornate beds.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Renegret posted:

gently caress collaboration. I didn't get into IT engineering because I LIKE people. :lol:

People...

What a bunch of bastards.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

collaborate with my nuts thx

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

During work-from-home, my boss had an all-team camera-required standup at the beginning of the shift every day. I accused him privately of doing it to make sure everyone wasn't working from bed. He did not deny it.

For the next month, my custom backgrounds were of ever more increasingly ridiculously ornate beds.

I have FaceRig, and when we were doing the camera-on thing I would throw the scary clown face on it for fun.

I would switch to the red panda for meetings, though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I would get the same amount of work done at home as I do in the office which right now is none, because they don’t give me anything to do.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gotta make your own work. I'm watching yearly security videos today. Boring as all gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hotel Kpro posted:

I would get the same amount of work done at home as I do in the office which right now is none, because they don’t give me anything to do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Hotel Kpro posted:

This. Other than the occasional ticket/issue assist, I am pretty much left to my own devices to do whatever I want. Other than a new SSO setup, not a lot of work comes my way from other people.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
It happened. I've finally become that which I hated.

One of my project managers came to me looking for where she fit in the timeline for a remodel my department is overseeing. Her focus is entirely on A/V, which this particular project involves none of until 2025.

Seeing as how she doesn't need to be involved since it doesn't involve her, I said it. I said it without thinking.

"That's none of your concern".

The urge to run a media empire on a consumer Buffalo NAS will be next.

How long do I have?

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 28, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

It's too late. You're already too far gone.

RIP Witch. We barely knew thee.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

It happened. I've finally become that which I hated.

One of my project managers came to me looking for where she fit in the timeline for a remodel my department is overseeing. Her focus is entirely on A/V, which this particular project involves none of until 2025.

Seeing as how she doesn't need to be involved since it doesn't involve her, I said it. I said it without thinking.

"That's none of your concern".

The urge to run a media empire on a consumer Buffalo NAS will be next.

How long do I have?

Is this the new spinoff of Santa Clarita Diet?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
The latest: the monitor has returned! It was magically under the desk this AM. I'm guessing someone figured out they couldn't suddenly be using it and also probably couldn't sneak it out.

FAKEEDIT: ".... uh... does it look to anyone else like it was dropped on that corner?" Yeah. The screen is busted.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sfwarlock posted:

The latest: the monitor has returned! It was magically under the desk this AM. I'm guessing someone figured out they couldn't suddenly be using it and also probably couldn't sneak it out.

FAKEEDIT: ".... uh... does it look to anyone else like it was dropped on that corner?" Yeah. The screen is busted.

let me guess, no way it can be ordered to arrive by the 29th

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You work with children and in a better job market this sort of behaviour would definitely cause me to have a think about leaving. I'd be after blood if someone busted a brand new 43" curved display because they were trying to steal it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Even better, they didn't bring it back because they thought they would get in trouble. They dropped it while trying to set it up and broke it. So they brought it back.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even better, they didn't bring it back because they thought they would get in trouble. They dropped it while trying to set it up and broke it. So they brought it back.
This was my first thought.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

AlexDeGruven posted:

oh yeah, had they not broke it it wouldn't be back

hope y'all didn't spend too much on the recruiting process for this person, I guarantee you they'll be gone by next week

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I like the metaness of the thread title in that as with all ticket subjects, it's incorrect since the keyboard was found ON the urinal.

To be clear, I'm saying leave it as is, it's far better this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Request Closed: WONTFIX