Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
bots dont tend to need gas station boner pills cut with sawdust, either,
me, otoh.....
how else am I going to snype gnarly sillyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

I wish I could pull up the study but I can't recall where it was.

It was basically trying to figure out how much money is required to be "happy." Turns out it was surprisingly little per year. Enough that people could provide nice/comfortable food and shelter and healthcare reliably, with enough left over to pursue interests. That was it. Once that was achieved, there wasn't much difference. So if peak happiness was at $120K per year or something, there wasn't much difference between that and 500K. There was also little to no difference between 500K and 5M and so on.

the basic theory is that money does not buy "happiness", but money absolutely eliminates a large swath of things that make you unhappy. if you need to worry about housing, food, etc, you're unhappy. if you're unhappy, you're ... well, not happy.

but once you have enough money to eliminate those things that make you worry and unhappy, additional money doesn't make a long-term difference. it definitely makes a short-term difference, but then you get used to it and want the next shiny thing. but eliminating worries - that's a permanent upgrade to your life.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Happiness is a warm gun.

Inshallah

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Bible posted:

There's nothing someone like Musk can't buy (except obvious poo poo like a dinosaur, I guess)

I would genuinely respect Elon Musk if he was trying to build an actual Jurassic Park

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vampire Panties posted:

I would genuinely respect Elon Musk if he was trying to build an actual Jurassic Park

Yeah none of the billionaire are doing fun crazy billionaire stuff, just boring billionaire stuff.

I think that guy who made the ultima games built a castle or something? But no weird genetic engineering of prehistoric animals or anything, alas.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

dr_rat posted:

I think that guy who made the ultima games built a castle or something?
Don't you lump Richard Garriott with the likes of Elon. That dude was cool. He built a castle and hosted legendary haunted houses in it every year, free and open to the public, and he actually went to space not like the cowardly muskrat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Slyphic posted:

Don't you lump Richard Garriott with the likes of Elon. That dude was cool. He built a castle and hosted legendary haunted houses in it every year, free and open to the public, and he actually went to space not like the cowardly muskrat.

Hey I was specifically saying he sounded better!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slyphic posted:

Then he sold his blood in weird reliquaries and did a kickstarter scam.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dr_rat posted:

Yeah none of the billionaire are doing fun crazy billionaire stuff, just boring billionaire stuff.

I think that guy who made the ultima games built a castle or something? But no weird genetic engineering of prehistoric animals or anything, alas.

Are you not aware of the weirdos that are trying to breed Mammoths? They won't pull it off, but it's a thing people are doing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xakura posted:

I don't know if I would call Shroud of Avatar a scam, per say. Though it is apparently... very 90's in its design from what I've seen/heard.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Bible posted:

Notch is unhappy because he chose to gently caress over everyone who helped him get rich. He could have used his money to make them rich too.

You don't have to buy happiness, but speaking as someone who grew up dirt poor, it absolutely can buy happiness. Call it security, call it freedom, but not having to worry about retirement, food, housing, education, basic healthcare, etc. immensely boosts your happiness.

I might reword it to say that money doesn't buy happiness, but poverty definitely buys misery. Rich people can be miserable too, but they have the means to at least try and remedy it without destroying themselves financially. Whether they do that or not is up to them, but having the choice is nice.
saying "money can't buy happiness" is like saying "money can't make you any less hungry"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Randalor posted:

I don't know if I would call Shroud of Avatar a scam, per say. Though it is apparently... very 90's in its design from what I've seen/heard.

It was totally a scam.
The only difference between Shroud of the Avatar and a modern NFT game scam is that its ingame objects and plots of lands instead of bitmaps.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

happyhippy posted:

It was totally a scam.
The only difference between Shroud of the Avatar and a modern NFT game scam is that its ingame objects and plots of lands instead of bitmaps.

Ah, but there is an actual game in Shroud of the Avatar.

...I thought even the "game" part of "nft game" was always a scam. Has there been one that actually made it to players hands?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Randalor posted:

Ah, but there is an actual game in Shroud of the Avatar.

Is there really though?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Xakura posted:

He's less evil, but he's still a billionaire, and all billionaires are evil.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does Alex even actually have access to that cat? He said it was his kids' cat and I thought the divorce was extremely acrimonious and he got basically no custody.

The cat is with his kid from his second marriage. Him and his second wife are still together, although it’s probably not a great marriage. What with Alex being a rapidly crumbling alcoholic whose business is dying, that’s also having an affair while he has a PI stalking his wife. And the drunk driving/domestic violence thing from the Christmas before last. Or possibly the year before ; less than 3 years and not 2 months ago.

I have really bad insomnia and listening to Knowledge Fight is one of the only ways I can fall asleep. It’s not fun, F-, do not recommend.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

The Bible posted:

He's less evil, but he's still a billionaire, and all billionaires are evil.

One recently bequeathed a billion dollars to a medical college, so future students won't have to pay tuition. That's something

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xiahou Dun posted:

The cat is with his kid from his second marriage. Him and his second wife are still together, although it’s probably not a great marriage. What with Alex being a rapidly crumbling alcoholic whose business is dying, that’s also having an affair while he has a PI stalking his wife. And the drunk driving/domestic violence thing from the Christmas before last. Or possibly the year before ; less than 3 years and not 2 months ago.

I have really bad insomnia and listening to Knowledge Fight is one of the only ways I can fall asleep. It’s not fun, F-, do not recommend.

Imagine marrying a wealthy beet red man expecting his heart to explode within 10 years so you can inherit, and instead he loses everything.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Bible posted:

The courts will never make him pay those families. They'll drag their feet on this the way they do with all rich white men. This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

If you're that confident, :toxx:. :colbert:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

One recently bequeathed a billion dollars to a medical college, so future students won't have to pay tuition. That's something

That was a doctor who was married to a billionaire, inherited their money, then bequeathed it to the school. So not a real billionaire.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even then, that should be like the baseline for what any billionaire should be doing. Giving most of it away to a reasonable cause but you still get to keep enough to live more comfortably than almost anyone else in the world isn't that generous.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Xiahou Dun posted:

But what's your bright spot, buddy?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imagine marrying a wealthy beet red man expecting his heart to explode within 10 years so you can inherit, and instead he loses everything.

But enough about Melania Trump…

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Fuckin hell, did a djinn trick you or something? That's truly awful.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Xiahou Dun posted:

Maybe he just needed a little sucky

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Fuckin hell, did a djinn trick you or something? That's truly awful.

It's something about a soothing voice explaining something kind-of interesting but not actually important that lets me drift off instead of just tossing and turning and thinking about every mistake I've ever made.

Then Jordan starts talking and fucks it all up.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is the one time I'm going to suggest a crippling addiction to benzos as the lesser of two evils

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Just to be clear, you're saying Jordan fucks it up for you, not Alex Jones and his various guests?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FFT posted:

Just to be clear, you're saying Jordan fucks it up for you, not Alex Jones and his various guests?

Who's soothing voice do you think he's referring to?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's something about a soothing voice explaining something kind-of interesting but not actually important that lets me drift off instead of just tossing and turning and thinking about every mistake I've ever made.

Then Jordan starts talking and fucks it all up.

Have you tried any of the sleep podcasts actually made for this, because I do not see how there is any way to get out from being startled awake by Jordan shrieking or Alex bellowing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh jesus please do not let alex jones’s next career move be asmr streaming on twitch

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Have you tried any of the sleep podcasts actually made for this, because I do not see how there is any way to get out from being startled awake by Jordan shrieking or Alex bellowing

I’ve tried a lot of things, as well as being in discussion with my doctor about this. It can’t be anything overtly relaxing, or my brain just slides off it and keeps going a mile a minute. It’s gotta have enough meat to hook my attention, but not enough that I fully engage.

This is in addition to exercise and smoking a lot of weed. I have this whole multi-hour wind down ritual and if everything goes right I can get 5-6 hours 4/5 nights a week.

I can’t take sleeping pills because of unconnected medical issues. It really sucks. The only good part is at least I’m single and not putting someone else through this.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh jesus please do not let alex jones’s next career move be asmr streaming on twitch

I bet it sounds like all the joe don baker burps and farts they had to edit out of Mitchell

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

I bet it sounds like all the joe don baker burps and farts they had to edit out of Mitchell

Alex Jones: Even his name says "Is that Chili?"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d pay Alex $30 for a ten minute recording of him narrating the consumption of a bowl of chili in his raspy, sultry voice.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

I’d pay Alex $30 for a ten minute recording of him narrating the consumption of a bowl of chili in his raspy, sultry voice.

Wouldn't this be mostly just lots of grunting?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ve tried a lot of things, as well as being in discussion with my doctor about this. It can’t be anything overtly relaxing, or my brain just slides off it and keeps going a mile a minute. It’s gotta have enough meat to hook my attention, but not enough that I fully engage.

This is in addition to exercise and smoking a lot of weed. I have this whole multi-hour wind down ritual and if everything goes right I can get 5-6 hours 4/5 nights a week.

I can’t take sleeping pills because of unconnected medical issues. It really sucks. The only good part is at least I’m single and not putting someone else through this.

I've found a let's player youtube guy who works for me with this trick. Jon from Many A True Nerd. Listening to him play Total War: Empire guarantees a good night's sleep.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Her husband should never have had that money in the first place and tuition should also be free

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

There’s gotta be other stuff, like three hour breakdowns of video games you have never played, the sleep with me podcast, or Levar Burton’s podcast where he reads short stories

I feel like falling asleep listening to the dulcet tones of Alex jones is going to ruin sleep for you for the rest of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wouldn't this be mostly just lots of grunting?

one long slurp, enough to make a man question the benevolence of the creator