Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the Energon universe seems primarily based on Sunbow so you don't have to worry about that most likely

That being said I don't see why they have to "kick it to the curb" from now on. Just tell a variety of stories. There's room for all kinds of TF takes, and these guys have never gotten proper toys, so...

something should only be excised from the franchise if it's offensive poo poo like Carbombya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Nodosaur posted:

the Energon universe seems primarily based on Sunbow so you don't have to worry about that most likely

That being said I don't see why they have to "kick it to the curb" from now on. Just tell a variety of stories. There's room for all kinds of TF takes, and these guys have never gotten proper toys, so...

something should only be excised from the franchise if it's offensive poo poo like Carbombya.

When I say kick to the curb I meant those concepts appearing in the new comic unvierse.

Not as a whole.

We all know those concepts are going to be around no matter what in future shows etc.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 24, 2024

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh, sorry

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's fine, tis the internet. We've all been there.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Phy posted:

There are many rooms in Primus' house.

Less pompously, I was actually thinking yesterday about how Legacy sort of G1-ified its Animated and Armada characters, and that it would be cool to re-interpret some of the better Bayverse bots through that lens instead of Studio Series. Especially non-screen ones like Wreckage, Ransack, Mindwipe, or Skyhammer.

That would be interesting. I would certainly like to see a more non-movie take on Dragonstorm or some of his components. And I do think I've said multiple times that I think the Bayverse designs are largely pretty good or at least interesting as toys, they just don't work as the characters they're supposed to be much of the time. By "Bayformers people" I am referring to a strange sliver of the fandom that believes the Bayverse versions are definitive and anything deviating from the junk sculpture aesthetic is automatically worse. I'd imagine to them Omega Prime is a crime against God or something.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Truck, not Trukk!

lol

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Trukk not Munky

Both?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i remember the "carbombya" thing as a kid and I didn't understand why anyone found it funny. Mostly because I didn't break the word apart, and just thought it was some funny sounding name the Autobots named a human city.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

i remember the "carbombya" thing as a kid and I didn't understand why anyone found it funny. Mostly because I didn't break the word apart, and just thought it was some funny sounding name the Autobots named a human city.

That's okay, it wasn't actually funny.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like Armada a lot, but there's a lot of weird figure designs, and articulation in general is manifestly a step down from RiD, Beast Wars, and possibly even some of G2. Often because they want to have big weird action features instead of focusing on humanoid modes, like concealed big huge cannons and weird springloaded chunks, but also there's just bizzare decisions like Demolisher's feet. Energon still had action features but scaled back a lot of them, and generally was a lot better articulated.

I'm also not a fan of the big epic stories about ancient space magic and Cybertron's absentee gods, because those tend to really slow down the action and tamp down on interpersonal relations and individualsm and it really tends to kill off any broader political aspects.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The carbombya thing was so bad it's why Casey Kasem quit despite voicing so many voices. Got to give the man points for that, sticking up for what he thought was right. As a kid the whole thing went over my head and never knew about the issues it caused until I went to college and the net became a thing. Did you know Japan got more Transformers cartoons, Headmasters and stuff. WOW. The net was a revelation in those days.

The Armada design was due to the guy in charge of the time wanting them to be big chunky robots and vehicles. It was a choice. The gimmicks were for kids cause more gimmicks more fun right.

Armada Starscream was perhaps the first real take on the character that defied conventional takes on his character and stood out. Pity the writing and translations were so bad. The only other time I remember before that Starscream wasn't so Starscream was the episode where he found Jetfire. Skyfire? Whatever. He talked about the character like he was an actual friend. That always stood out to me in a time when it was rather rare.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Micron Legend’s take on Starscream is just fine. Armada makes it nonsensical, especially in the early parts where the dub tried to play him like a traditional Starscream.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
TF Prime's Starscream grew on me: I hated his design at first, but the dude was loving cold; I think his first intro scene had him killing an Autobot. I especially liked the scene where he found Arcee trapped, but instead of killing her, he remarked there had been a time she had spared his life, so he cut her down and walked off. "Consider us even."

Of course he, being Starscream, hosed up so many times: accidentally telling Arcee he had murdered her partner ages ago, making a zombie-terrorcon epidemic, making a swarm of clones that all turned on him (and there was the bonus of every time one of them was killed, he felt their pain). and of course his single ally Knock Out he threw under the bus so many times, the final time is what made our shiny medic snap and betray him right as he was about to win.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Generations Galvatron $28 on Amazon today

Edit - Not kingdom

Medullah fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 25, 2024

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I don't care for the stickers, but the toy deco look is still dope as hell for that figure

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I got it, I never put on the stickers.

He looks so good without them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Movie version Gridman toy: https://imgur.com/a/mMFUifJ

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Droyer posted:

Movie version Gridman toy: https://imgur.com/a/mMFUifJ

This is relevant to my interests. I had no idea that he lit up.

I have the Good Smile Full Powered Gridman and he's pretty great. Looks good along side my original SSSS Synchro.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That's the only one I don't have but i have a model kit of FP gridman and i don't like the design enough to double dip. Not decided on Full Power Gridknight tho.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Horsey

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When is Silverbolt supposed to go on sale? April?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phy posted:

Horsey

I need to buy a van so I can paint that on the side.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The MSJ posted:

When is Silverbolt supposed to go on sale? April?

Yeah, he's in wave 2 so should be April.

Though Cheetor from the same wave, and Studio Series Sideswipe & Sunstreaker (no relation) have shown up on store shelves ahead of any official announcement, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just suddenly materializes one day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, he's in wave 2 so should be April.

Though Cheetor from the same wave, and Studio Series Sideswipe & Sunstreaker (no relation) have shown up on store shelves ahead of any official announcement, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just suddenly materializes one day.

I will manifest him appearing in the ToysR Us near my office so I can use my birthday coupon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phy posted:

Horsey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHytjEj7B9g

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the overly complicated nature of this. Honestly, I could watch all this for hours. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ST7ZPBAb8

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Phy posted:

Horsey

Next on Autobots Caught on Tape

What Wheelie really does with the bodies of his victims.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We know that. He uses their parts to repair himself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://news.tfw2005.com/2024/02/27/transformers-generations-autobot-5-pack-revealed-and-live-504865

so that 100 dollar Hound pack got revealed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a great pack for a hundo if you haven't already bought in on those characters.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Bought a Detritus after seeing that, hopefully a coat of green paint will be good enough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I'm still not sold on that Wheeljack and I've already got SS86 Jazz but I really do want the rest of those. I don't know that I £115 want them though.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Fil5000 posted:

I'm still not sold on that Wheeljack and I've already got SS86 Jazz but I really do want the rest of those. I don't know that I £115 want them though.

Same, but instead of SS86 Jazz, it’s Origins Jazz. I really do like the look of everyone in this set, but yeah, Wheeljack needs extra detail in car mode in particular.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I just very belatedly found out about the Transformers concept album buried in Prince's vaults and I am shook. By hook or by crook, I gots to have it no matter how terrible it may be so I'm planning a Paisley Park heist.

:colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Arquinsiel posted:

That's a great pack for a hundo if you haven't already bought in on those characters.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it. I don't have a Hound, Jazz or Sunstreaker so it's not too bad for me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sentinel Red posted:

I just very belatedly found out about the Transformers concept album buried in Prince's vaults and I am shook. By hook or by crook, I gots to have it no matter how terrible it may be so I'm planning a Paisley Park heist.

:colbert:

WHAT

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Like for the movie, a soundtrack? or VA work?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cowslips Warren posted:

Like for the movie, a soundtrack? or VA work?

Yes

i don’t know what I’m talking about :shrug:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It was supposedly a concept album called Pure Energon, and was a collaboration with the band Information Society. The name seems to be a reference Information Society's biggest hit, which itself came from a dialogue line they sampled from Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My Missing Link Convoy showed up from Amazon Japan. I got the toy version from them, though I ended up also ordering the toon version from BBTS because I'm indecisive. Initial thoughts and observations:

• Transforming him feels weird because I have like 40 years of instinct telling me not the pull the arms/legs that way because they'll break. His headlights look so weird too without a hole in them.
  • He comes with a sticker sheet, even though all the "stickers" are tampoed on the figure itself, except for the forearm ones, which are actually molded. In the trailer only the big stickers on what becomes the floor when opened are tampoed. The wall screens and "GO!" are still stickers if you want to add them.
  • Roller's wheels and the trailer's missiles actually come on sprues just like in G1. The missiles do shoot (extremely weakly), but weirdly the Roller launching mechanism is removed. I'm guessing this is because the whole little robot module can also be removed from the trailer and drive around and they couldn't fit both the launching mechanism and wheels in the base. I still wish they had at least left the holes in the base for Roller's exhaust pipe, so you could kind of dock him in rather than leave him just completely loose in there.
  • They added a port in the trailer to store the gun, but the trailer can't close with it in there because it hits the robot arm guy if he's folded up the normal way. But if you extend him you can close the trailer with the gun in there, and he also helps hold Roller in place that way.