Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MSPain posted:

entomologist here. i can tell you exactly what's going on in this clip. the yellow bird bit the long crab in half. all parties involved have worms (if you look closely you can see little six-legged worms running around on the ground)

:haibrow: thank you Dr MSPain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
etymologist here, the word mantis comes from the ancient greek word 'mantis'

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

R.L. Stine posted:

Which is a shortened version of "man tits". Those ancient Greeks loved them some moobs.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

MSPain posted:

entomologist here. i can tell you exactly what's going on in this clip. the yellow bird bit the long crab in half. all parties involved have worms (if you look closely you can see little six-legged worms running around on the ground)

I can confirm this is correct.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

MSPain posted:

entomologist here.

is that the study of Entenmann's

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

huh so hobbes was right

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

Well this is embarrassing, I've been pronouncing it "mantis" for years :blush:

e:

Inceltown posted:

Which is a shortened version of "man tits". Those ancient Greeks loved them some moobs.

Mechanically Augmented Neuro Transmitter Interception System :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxGhZWuY8o

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 27, 2024

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Takes No Damage posted:

Well this is embarrassing, I've been pronouncing it "mantis" for years :blush:

You'll be fine. All words are made up anyway. You can do whatever you want with them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MSPain posted:

Look as a wormologist I can safely say there is no such thing thing as a six legged worm.

Poster is probably think of an extra legged lizard or long cat, or worm spider missing to legs.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nobody Interesting posted:

I have questions and I'd like a bug lawyer to answer them.

The mantis is eating a hornet, and a hornet is eating the mantis. Is the mantis-eating hornet doing it out of like...an attempt to 'save' the other? Like are they that coordinated that the hornet has an interest in its hornet buddies staying alive?

And why doesn't the mantis stop? It's determined that eating the other hornet is a higher priority than keeping its loving legs?

I assume the hornet stung the mantis so it's partially paralyzed by the poison now. In absence of any plausible hope for improvement of its situation, the mantis decided to do the same thing as we: eating. If it had any alcohol with it it would probably get drunk

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's the only way compulsive eaters can lose weight.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Vampire Panties posted:

IANABL, but the mantis looks like it has parasite worms coming out of its abdomen. Its probable that the mantis is basically a zombie and reflexively grabbed & ate the wasp, because praying mantises will eat anything

any entomologists in the house wanna chime in?

I am an actual entomologist. Here's my take.

The 'worm' things are the cerci, appendages at the tip of the abdomen in insects. They're sensory organs, like antennae, but at the other end.

The first hornet tried to kill the mantis, got grabbed.

Second hornet also tries to grab mantis, suceeds, since the danger end of the mantis is busy handling the other hornet.

Insects that catch and eat other insects often start the process by severing the head from the rest of the body. This is what the second hornet is doing. Since the nervous system of insects is a lot more distributed than in vertebrates, the head and forelegs of the mantis are too busy handling prey to care that it's about to be severed between the first and middel thoracic segment.

Ants are incidental.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nature is so beautiful. :allears:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I weep because I'll never experience a meal so perfect that I'll miss some sneaky sod removing half my body while I'm eating.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
nothing is stopping you from eating live hornets

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

By popular demand posted:

I weep because I'll never experience a meal so perfect that I'll miss some sneaky sod removing half my body while I'm eating.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Visit Doobie's Doghouse and you can probably get both

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anything's possible with enough heroin seasoning I suppose.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

I am an actual entomologist. Here's my take.

The 'worm' things are the cerci, appendages at the tip of the abdomen in insects. They're sensory organs, like antennae, but at the other end.

The first hornet tried to kill the mantis, got grabbed.

Second hornet also tries to grab mantis, suceeds, since the danger end of the mantis is busy handling the other hornet.

Insects that catch and eat other insects often start the process by severing the head from the rest of the body. This is what the second hornet is doing. Since the nervous system of insects is a lot more distributed than in vertebrates, the head and forelegs of the mantis are too busy handling prey to care that it's about to be severed between the first and middel thoracic segment.

Ants are incidental.

Hey, it's me! The incidental ant!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So somebody had a great idea to do a live action “walk through” event of Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. They used AI images to advertise what it was going to look like.

Unfortunately the reality came up a bit short…

Willy Wonka’s meth lab looking great though.

Patrons were so pissed off they called the cops.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-called-to-willy-wonka-inspired-experience-in-glasgow-as-families-demand-refunds-13081554

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Wow it's such a poor use of space that a single stage highschool production built out of cardboard would be massively better.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

So somebody had a great idea to do a live action “walk through” event of Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. They used AI images to advertise what it was going to look like.

Unfortunately the reality came up a bit short…

Willy Wonka’s meth lab looking great though.

Patrons were so pissed off they called the cops.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-called-to-willy-wonka-inspired-experience-in-glasgow-as-families-demand-refunds-13081554

"Oh and great idea to have a person dressed in a terrifying outfit to come out and scare all the kids. They were all crying - it was terrible, shocking and embarrassing to be honest," wrote one parent.

A shame that there's no photos of this, but it probably couldn't live up to the mental image.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Low effort Willy Wonka should be a thread.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's exactly what Wonka's chocolate factory would be like in real life.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
willy white and the meth factory.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Low effort Willy Wonka should be a thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055177&perpage=40&pagenumber=2&noseen=1

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I meant low effort WW cosplay and possibly roleplay too, maybe I'll start one tomorrow.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
shoulda had a ball pit and shoulda offered extra time if peeps were mad

it's event planning 101

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oompa-loompa, Debbie Downer...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I meant low effort WW cosplay and possibly roleplay too, maybe I'll start one tomorrow.

Already got the thread title ready to go:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

"Oh and great idea to have a person dressed in a terrifying outfit to come out and scare all the kids. They were all crying - it was terrible, shocking and embarrassing to be honest," wrote one parent.

A shame that there's no photos of this, but it probably couldn't live up to the mental image.

lol, got my wish:

Apparently "the Unknown" was ChatGPT's idea for a Willy Wonka antagonist in the AI-generated script, but I wonder whose idea it was to dress and act him as a dark hell man who kids will imagine crawling from behind their mirror for years to come.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

davidspackage posted:

Apparently "the Unknown" was ChatGPT's idea for a Willy Wonka antagonist in the AI-generated script, but I wonder whose idea it was to dress and act him as a dark hell man who kids will imagine crawling from behind their mirror for years to come.

That was me sorry. Didn't think that one through.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow, it's really fortunate that any ressemblance to any character, fictitious or living, is purely coincidental, and that the experience is in no way related to the Wonka franchise, which is owned by the Warner Bros. company.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You have heard of uwu capitalism. Get ready for ohno capitalism.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

You have heard of uwu capitalism. Get ready for ohno capitalism.

Joke's on us, all capitalism is ohno capitalism :v:

:smith:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I demand a legally distinct Ciaran and the Chocolate Factory that's just a bunch of kids illegally put to work in a dodgy Scottish factory.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What if we kissed at the Willy Wonka Warehouse Bar???

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lmao they couldn't have rented a worse space if they had tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I demand a legally distinct Ciaran and the Chocolate Factory Caramel Distillery that's just a bunch of kids illegally put to work in a dodgy Scottish factory.

More legally distinct, please!