Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Air Skwirl posted:

If you live in America they own most grocery stores, and might literally own all of them soon.

Kroger owns 5.6% of grocery market share in the U.S.

If they get their merger approved, they will own about 11.3%.

They are the largest national chain by far, but there are a large amount of local and regional grocery stores in the U.S.

In some specific areas, Kroger and Albertson's might represent most of the grocery stores in an area, but they aren't anywhere close to owning almost every grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kroger sounds suspiciously German. I expect nativist anti-German riots to break out any day now.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

saintonan posted:

There are many strong regional chains that are not Kroger's or Albertsons.

Acme (albertsons brand) is maybe 4th on my list of chioces around here. 3rd if im feeling lazy about going to the Wegmans.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hopefully the merger is blocked because albertsons sucks in general

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phlegmish posted:

Kroger sounds suspiciously German. I expect nativist anti-German riots to break out any day now.

German name, but many generation American.

The original Kroger was involved in inventing the concept of self-checkout in the late 1800's.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Acme (albertsons brand) is maybe 4th on my list of chioces around here. 3rd if im feeling lazy about going to the Wegmans.

Wegman's is a little pricey, but their bakery/exclusive items/deli owns bones. I'm sad I don't have one near me anymore.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Hopefully the merger is blocked because albertsons sucks in general

The merger would effectively end Albertson's and have it taken over by Kroger, so you should be cheering on the merger!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

We got those out of our system in the 1850s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
1860s at least, surely

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't forget liberty dogs :911:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The other big player is called Wegmans? Truly, the United States has been taken over by the Germans, and they don't even care. Wake up, sheeple. I have already started assembling Know Nothings in the streets of Philadelphia and we are preparing to march on Germantown.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

The other big player is called Wegmans? Truly, the United States has been taken over by the Germans, and they don't even care. Wake up, sheeple. I have already started assembling Know Nothings in the streets of Philadelphia and we are preparing to march on Germantown.

Wegmans isn't very big, but they have recently been expanding into high-profile North East markets (as opposed to their original market of Rochester, NY).

Map, thanks to Wikipedia:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
After beating Walmart to the curb at home, German supermarket chains have been expanding in the USA. Lidl, Aldi, Trader Joe's (the other Aldi). They are being hailed as liberators from the dictate of incumbent chains.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

anyway the grocery store wars are nothing compared to the food mart wars

code:
red	Wawa
orange 	Sheetz
green 	GetGo
pink 	Turkey Hill
cyan 	Country Fair
violet 	Royal Farms
blue 	Rutter's

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phlegmish posted:

Wal-Mart, Target, and Costco are technically the largest "grocery stores" in America, but they aren't counted as "grocery stores" legally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I see Sheetz has chosen the "let's put one token on every part of the board" strategy, let's see how it works out for them

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WinCo or bust

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

I’m a section of Chihuahua, México.
Kroger closed every single one of their grocery stores in North Carolina a few years ago, because the competition was too tough here lmao

steinrokkan posted:

I see Sheetz has chosen the "let's put one token on every part of the board" strategy, let's see how it works out for them
Its working. They are everywhere and they are popular, at least every one I go to for gas or food.... they are always packed.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Everywhere I’ve lived has some local chain that is considered far nicer to shop at and often work for than Walmart, Target, or the other “big” stores like Kroger’s. Like HEB and United/Market Street in Texas or Publix In Florida

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It used to be that a grocery store taking up 13% of the marketshare of just one city would provoke the government into bringing the hammer of god of antitrust down on them, it's good that the FTC is starting to push back on mergers, and they should look into breaking up some companies.

Also it sucks that Albertsons ended up the top name of the Safeway/Jewel-Osco/Acme Markets/Tom Thumb/United Supermarkets/Vons/Shaws katamari ball. There was an Albertsons around here once, they sucked and left decades ago and got replaced by a Neighborhood Walmart (Walmart's weird non-big-box grocery branch).

Kroger kinda gives me a bad vibe, although they have a better selection for cheeses and international foods. They're also diversified into big-box stores, which can be confusing. Wikipedia lists a good amount of recent controversies about them as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger#Controversies https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/fred-meyer-qfc-illegally-barred-blm-pins-at-work-judge-rules/

Phlegmish posted:

There's an actually German grocery store in the US that has been aggressively expanding lately if you wanna get your hackles up about that. I'm sure they have an overly long and threatening sounding name for their expansion plan. Right now they're in the process of buying the dying Winn-Dixie chain.
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/2024/01/30/with-winn-dixie-sale-to-aldi-expected-to-close-stores-could-change-in-2024/71678318007/

An actually Dutch company, Ahold Delhaize, has successfully conquered a major chunk of US Grocery stores with Stop&Shop, Food Lion, and Hannaford.

Winco sounds pretty cool on the politics and labor side of things, but the nearest store is too far away to be convenient.

soviet elsa posted:

Everywhere I’ve lived has some local chain that is considered far nicer to shop at and often work for than Walmart, Target, or the other “big” stores like Kroger’s. Like HEB and United/Market Street in Texas or Publix In Florida

Market Street is neat, but they're a subsidiary of the Safeway katamari.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's kind of funny, both Aldi and Delhaize are big in Belgium as well. In fact, I always sort of assumed Delhaize was Belgian to begin with.

e: it is! They started out in Wallonia in 1867, but quickly moved their center of operations to Brussels.

e2: but Ahold was Dutch, so I guess it's now a proper multinational

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 27, 2024

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ahold also used to own Tops, the other Western New York-based grocery chain (from Buffalo), though looks like they don't any more.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Market Street is neat, but they're a subsidiary of the Safeway katamari.

Is there a handy way of finding out what chains in my area are part of the same conglomerate?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

aldi just left denmark last year, said they couldnt turn a profit

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kroger closed every single one of their grocery stores in North Carolina a few years ago, because the competition was too tough here lmao

Its working. They are everywhere and they are popular, at least every one I go to for gas or food.... they are always packed.

Well they bought Harris Teeter and decided to just stick with that because rebranding the Teeters to Kroger's would cost them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

socialsecurity posted:

Well they bought Harris Teeter and decided to just stick with that because rebranding the Teeters to Kroger's would cost them.
They are different kinds of stores though - Harris Teeter is a pricier, "well off suburb" type of grocery store, while Kroger was more bargain bin. At least in the Raleigh area. They closed incredibly busy stores that do not have a Harris Teeter nearby, so they literally decided to throw money out of the window. THEN they spite held onto the property because a competitor (Publix, I think) wanted to buy the spot to open up a store.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They are different kinds of stores though - Harris Teeter is a pricier, "well off suburb" type of grocery store, while Kroger was more bargain bin. At least in the Raleigh area. They closed incredibly busy stores that do not have a Harris Teeter nearby, so they literally decided to throw money out of the window. THEN they spite held onto the property because a competitor (Publix, I think) wanted to buy the spot to open up a store.

Yeah the bargain bin market is owned by Food Lion out here, Kroger exists in a more middle space that just did not have a good market out here. Also there's a HT like every mile in Raleigh, I was actually working for HT corporate when the merger happened and was part of the push to cover each area as much as possible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

An actually Dutch company, Ahold Delhaize, has successfully conquered a major chunk of US Grocery stores with Stop&Shop, Food Lion, and Hannaford.
It was just referred to as The Dutch Company when I worked at Stop&Shop, which felt appropriately cryptic and menacing. "This is how The Dutch Company wants things done," "We better hope The Dutch Company doesn't close our store," etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The merger would effectively end Albertson's and have it taken over by Kroger, so you should be cheering on the merger!

:yeah:

This is why it was great for Mcdonnel-Douglas haters when they merged with Boeing.

Antigravitas posted:

After beating Walmart to the curb at home, German supermarket chains have been expanding in the USA. Lidl, Aldi, Trader Joe's (the other Aldi). They are being hailed as liberators from the dictate of incumbent chains.

Trader Joe’s is currently making a play to liberate America from the National Labor Relations Board.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

That's kind of funny, both Aldi and Delhaize are big in Belgium as well. In fact, I always sort of assumed Delhaize was Belgian to begin with.

e: it is! They started out in Wallonia in 1867, but quickly moved their center of operations to Brussels.

e2: but Ahold was Dutch, so I guess it's now a proper multinational

I think to be proper multinational, you need to be in at least two countries, not one country and a weird buffer zone

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah the bargain bin market is owned by Food Lion out here, Kroger exists in a more middle space that just did not have a good market out here. Also there's a HT like every mile in Raleigh, I was actually working for HT corporate when the merger happened and was part of the push to cover each area as much as possible.
Yeah I'm in Raleigh - there are Food Lions everywhere, hah. But there is not a HT within a 10-15 minute drive from my house, so the Kroger that closed near us meant we now had to drive like 4x as far to get groceries, it really was a bummer and I'll never forgive them

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Trader Joe’s is currently making a play to liberate America from the National Labor Relations Board.

I really hate this as they are a pretty good place shop at and then they pull poo poo like this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carthag Tuek posted:

This happened not long after I moved and no longer had easy access to an Aldi. I think I was single-handedly keeping them afloat buying the best muesli around, which was also somehow half the price of regular muesli.

BonHair posted:

I think to be proper multinational, you need to be in at least two countries, not one country and a weird buffer zone
I wouldn't even count it for only two, especially not if those two belong to essentially the same culture.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Carthag Tuek posted:

I was in Copenhagen last year and my only shop choices seemed to be either an Aldi Nord or the most expensive supermarket I had ever been in. I think it was called føtex? My sympathies for the people of Denmark.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I was in Copenhagen last year and my only shop choices seemed to be either an Aldi Nord or the most expensive supermarket I had ever been in. I think it was called føtex? My sympathies for the people of Denmark.
Føtex is for poor people. OK, that was supposed to be a joke, but looking up some "price checks" on Danish supermarket chains, it's not unusual to find it in the middle of the pack, below chains that are seen as discount chains.

The consistently cheap chain is a Norwegian one.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If you're in Zurich before the end of the year, go to Jelmoli's grocery store. If not, then next time in a major Swiss city go to the Globus grocery store. Especially their produce section is crazy, like $11/kg potatoes. Some of them are unusual varietals that you can't get anywhere else, but even a bog standard potato will be like $7/kg.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This happened not long after I moved and no longer had easy access to an Aldi. I think I was single-handedly keeping them afloat buying the best muesli around, which was also somehow half the price of regular muesli.

yeah i went to my local aldi a lot but then i got lazy and went to fakta & now theyre gone

im sorry ;_;

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Saladman posted:

If you're in Zurich before the end of the year, go to Jelmoli's grocery store. If not, then next time in a major Swiss city go to the Globus grocery store. Especially their produce section is crazy, like $11/kg potatoes. Some of them are unusual varietals that you can't get anywhere else, but even a bog standard potato will be like $7/kg.

Globus isn’t a grocery store though, it’s a Bloomingdale’s level department store, and just like many European department stores it has a food section focused on luxury goods, imports, etc. Nobody in Switzerland does their big weekly shop at Globus. Migros and Coop are expensive enough for that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Platystemon posted:

It's what yanks crave.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Globus isn’t a grocery store though, it’s a Bloomingdale’s level department store, and just like many European department stores it has a food section focused on luxury goods, imports, etc. Nobody in Switzerland does their big weekly shop at Globus. Migros and Coop are expensive enough for that.

Well, no one does because they’re crazy expensive - but they do sell all the same standard food you can get in a normal grocery store. You can buy rice and beans and burrito rolls and chicken and Brie there or whatever. I have seen a handful of people in there doing their normal shopping (old and obviously very rich people) but yeah 98% of people are just going there for some particular sauce or spice or unusual imported fruit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Wait Globus is too expensive for the Swiss!? I've been interchangeably buying groceries there with the other supermarket chains and it doesn't feel significantly more expensive, other than maybe not having as many large sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carthag Tuek posted:

Danish Aldi was not nearly cheap enough to justify how crap they were and their direct competitors in the "vaguely German discount brands" (Lidl) - though a bit more expensive - was consistently a LOT nicer.