Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Baseball has been getting gradually worse since the 80s. It is slightly better now than it was a couple years ago which was the worst it had been in 100 years.

MLB has pretty much ruined the game with their greed. They took the national pastime and turned it into a boring mess that almost no youth give a poo poo about any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Futrurama had a right idea, they should just turn it into blernsball already.

That actually seemed somewhat interesting. I think there was giant spiders at one stage or something.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Waltzing Along posted:

Baseball has been getting gradually worse since the 80s. It is slightly better now than it was a couple years ago which was the worst it had been in 100 years.

MLB has pretty much ruined the game with their greed. They took the national pastime and turned it into a boring mess that almost no youth give a poo poo about any more.

The NFL and NBA aren’t far behind them.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Mountain Dew extreme baseball. Whole thing lasts two hours and is as intense as possible.

they did this with Cricket in the 90s (it was even sponsored by Pepsi Max). Turns out even less people watch when you can't use it as an excuse for your extended day drinking.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They really aught to just let everyone juice like crazy. I watch sports because they are at the top of their game and I want to see the players min max their bodies like a Formula 1 car.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

honest question because I don't watch baseball, what changed?

edit: definitely does not need to be comprehensive or even correct

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 28, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Waltzing Along posted:

This is exactly what happened with nhl hockey too something I loved as a kid but could not give two shits about now based on how off putting it all is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

They really aught to just let everyone juice like crazy. I watch sports because they are at the top of their game and I want to see the players min max their bodies like a Formula 1 car.

Ironically F1 has to put all sorts of self imposed limitations on cars otherwise people would be getting killed constantly like the bad old days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Has Peter Thiel got the sporting event for you

https://twitter.com/SunSport/status/1759963620325343510

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That was a Saturday night live skit from decades ago

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sharknado slashfic posted:

There's some particular brain malfunction that turns some people into Actual baseball fans who watch 100 games a season, and I say that as a baseball fan. I can't blame anyone for thinking baseball is boring because if you're not an Actual baseball fan it must be interminable.

Golf and auto racing also work this way

also star trek

I must have a special version of that brain malfunction because I watch all 162 regular season Pirates games.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

youll never convince me that trashing your body with drugs just to do 1/4 of what a Nissan Leaf can do is in any way aspirational

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

youll never convince me that trashing your body with drugs just to do 1/4 of what a Nissan Leaf can do is in any way aspirational

It's gonna be really funny when all the times at the Steroid Olympics are bad because no real athletes would compete in it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I must have a special version of that brain malfunction because I watch all 162 regular season Pirates games.

Jesus Christ, the time commitment.

Unlike me, a mental healthy person who spends his time watching drunk Midwesterners watch bad movies

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

sharknado slashfic posted:

Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLQxAvy66NM

I still have that pop into my head sometimes when I eat

man i remember when ll cool j was a semi-respectable actor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Jesus Christ, the time commitment.

Unlike me, a mental healthy person who spends his time watching drunk Midwesterners watch bad movies

Or me someone who plays a couple hours of call of duty most nights getting sworn at by 12 year olds

We all have our shameful pastimes :haw:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sinnesloeschen posted:

Uh my av is like a shark's fin

Shittiest posts my av is like a shark's fin

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Or me someone who plays a couple hours of call of duty most nights getting sworn at by 12 year olds

We all have our shameful pastimes :haw:

I usually game while I watch sports, so I’m being yelled at by 12 year olds while I yell at the TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I usually game while I watch sports, so I’m being yelled at by 12 year olds while I yell at the TV.

Ah the ol double dip

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jose Oquendo posted:

call that the game & watch

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

priznat posted:

This take is not rare exactly but it's way more rare than I'd expect!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

pangstrom posted:

This take is not rare exactly but it's way more rare than I'd expect!

I outed myself as both an old AND someone who watched snl skits in the days before YouTube, sad.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

priznat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAdG-iTilWU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Vim Fuego posted:

call that the game & watch

They get themselves hooked up on two stimulants at once. One screen is a bunch of fat rich guys jogging around a grassy square, the other is a bunch of hyperactive twelve year olds screaming homophobic insults. They call that the game and watch on the street

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Isn't that basically what is going on now? I thought steroid use has been an open secret for everyone who could benefit from them for decades now. Every time there is a buff actor or sports person or wrestler or body builder everyone treats it as a forgone conclusion that they've been roided to hell and back. The only people who seem to give a drat anymore are the Olympics and even they seem to be more of an arms race than anything else, also lol Russia.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

The O's have beaten me into the ground for most of my life but I have no complaints currently. Perennially bad baseball team fans absolutely have something broken psychologically.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

sinnesloeschen posted:

Yeah but have you checked out his hat? It’s like a loving shark fin!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Eight-Six posted:

honest question because I don't watch baseball, what changed?

edit: definitely does not need to be comprehensive or even correct

The main thing is analytics. Number crunchers found every way to break the game and it ruined it. And the league was slow to adjust to write rules to counter some of it.

That's the short answer.

The longer answer is analytics showed that many of the aspects of the game that were exciting were actually bad plays. Stealing bases, bunting, having pitchers pitch deep into games. All gone. It got so bad that players essentially were constantly playing out of position on the field. The league finally said okay enough. You guys have to stay relatively close to whatever position you are playing. And if you aren't going to steal, well we'll make the bases bigger which shortens the distance between them. And we will handicap the pitcher to make it even easier to steal.

Another problem was that due to all this, the batters and pitchers were taking forever to do anything because they had to get into the perfect mindset, position or whatever to throw or hit which made games longer. So the league instituted a pitch clock.

Oddly, the thing the fans want the most, that would make the biggest difference, they will not do. And that is use robot umpires to get near perfect strike zones all the time. Baseball, unlike football or basketball, can pretty much entirely be umpired by robots and fast instant replays. There is no reason to ever get calls wrong. But they won't do it for stupid reasons.

Back in the 80s, the game had reached a pinnacle, of sorts. Years upon years of the game being played the same way and there were many valid ways to construct a team and have success. Then steroids took over and it was never the same again. Baseball has gone through a lot of changes, but the way the game was played was pretty constant for quite some time. Until analytics completely changed how everything was viewed.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Miller calls david spade spadoodle lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Viewership skyrocketed last year and fans were generally responding well to the pitch clock and bigger bases influencing more steals so I don't see the problem there. Pitching deep got changed partly because of analytics saying that ERA increases as the pitcher rotates through the lineup but also because pitchers didn't want to blow out their arm and get three tommy john surgeries by the time they're 28.

Fans of every sport bitch about their refs non stop and want something instituted in their place. Sure Angel Hernandez is a prick to watch but I don't think he's the reason people were tuning out.

The real problem has always been their marketing. They let Trout's entire career go by without pushing him. Also baseball is boring as gently caress and should only be absorbed through longform youtube essays on Foolish Baseball or Baseball Doesn't Exist.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kevin costner could save baseball through the power of movies easily but instead he's locked in to four loving westerns. He has a lot to answer for

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
He thinks he’s really a cowboy, it’s sad to see an old man get like that.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
bring back the Waterworld EU imho.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
the only balls I want discussed in the RLM thread are spaceballs

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Kevin costner could save baseball through the power of movies easily but instead he's locked in to four loving westerns. He has a lot to answer for

When you put it this way, I'm actually ok with his choice to make a few moipies I can easily just not watch.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't that basically what is going on now? I thought steroid use has been an open secret for everyone who could benefit from them for decades now. Every time there is a buff actor or sports person or wrestler or body builder everyone treats it as a forgone conclusion that they've been roided to hell and back. The only people who seem to give a drat anymore are the Olympics and even they seem to be more of an arms race than anything else, also lol Russia.
it's a comforting fiction

we're not gonna just say steroids are ok, because they're bad for you and it'd be hosed up to let that become a barrier for entry, but also the results are too good for everybody to just not do them anymore

so corporations and athletic commissions pretend to be really serious about "wellness" testing, which they pretend is about health and not just averting suspicion, athletes pretend to follow the rules while building their harder-to-detect cycles of more tightly scheduled steroid abuse around when they're to be tested, actors pretend not to do them at all because nobody's checking anyway, and the public at large pretends it's all up to snuff
until another scandal hits, and then everybody pretends to be shocked, and to show how very serious they are the people in charge make sure that every step in the process gets a teensy bit more complicated (as long as it's not enough to endanger the world's reserve supply of beefcake)

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Waltzing Along posted:

The main thing is analytics. Number crunchers found every way to break the game and it ruined it. And the league was slow to adjust to write rules to counter some of it.

That's the short answer.

The longer answer is analytics showed that many of the aspects of the game that were exciting were actually bad plays. Stealing bases, bunting, having pitchers pitch deep into games. All gone. It got so bad that players essentially were constantly playing out of position on the field. The league finally said okay enough. You guys have to stay relatively close to whatever position you are playing. And if you aren't going to steal, well we'll make the bases bigger which shortens the distance between them. And we will handicap the pitcher to make it even easier to steal.

Another problem was that due to all this, the batters and pitchers were taking forever to do anything because they had to get into the perfect mindset, position or whatever to throw or hit which made games longer. So the league instituted a pitch clock.

Oddly, the thing the fans want the most, that would make the biggest difference, they will not do. And that is use robot umpires to get near perfect strike zones all the time. Baseball, unlike football or basketball, can pretty much entirely be umpired by robots and fast instant replays. There is no reason to ever get calls wrong. But they won't do it for stupid reasons.

Back in the 80s, the game had reached a pinnacle, of sorts. Years upon years of the game being played the same way and there were many valid ways to construct a team and have success. Then steroids took over and it was never the same again. Baseball has gone through a lot of changes, but the way the game was played was pretty constant for quite some time. Until analytics completely changed how everything was viewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF7xbdBhgs

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My extremely commonplace and uninteresting opinion about sports is the 30-45 minutes of actual game can sometimes be interesting, but it becomes an absolute slog when stretch over 3-4 hours of commercials and standing around and expert analysis. Everyone I've ever met who gives a drat about sports is older than me except one guy, and I'm getting old as poo poo. I have trouble seeing how this is going to last much longer.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 28, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Worth it even if I find Iannucci joints to be drivel?

It's the only movie/show of his i've watched and i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

KakerMix posted:

the only balls I want discussed in the RLM thread are spaceballs

The only way my balls are getting to space is if Los Locos kick them there