Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah it rules.

Calling it now for best film of 2024

More like old--sorry, force of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bussamove posted:

The Borderlands trailer is like, a masterclass in perfectly miscasting every single role except maybe Jamie Lee Curtis as Tannis. When I think experienced soldier often used as the straight man, my mind doesn’t immediately jump to Kevin loving Hart.

A while back I saw a poster of the Borderlands movie on Facebook with Lauren Cohan as Lilith which gave me hope, but apparently that was just some fanmade thing I guess.

Cate Blanchett and Jamie Lee Curtis, cool although I feel like their talents are wasted. Jack Black as Claptrap, fine I guess. I'm not a fan of his, but I guess it works because that'sthe type of character he does well-ish. But loving Kevin Hart? It's been forever since I played the game but I thought the point of Roland was that he's gruff, serious soldier type amidst all the madness and chaos and that's like the opposite of Kevin Hart.

It's going to be one of those movies I'll watch and probably enjoy because I'm not going to be sober, and immediately forget about and never watch again. Or I'll get distracted halfway through and not care enough to finish it like the Mario movie.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The real crime is a lack of Brick, who is real and strong and my friend.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bussamove posted:

It's obviously based on the early pre-brick prototype, as can be seen by them going back to the more realistic graphics rather than the more famous cel shaded stuff.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Gary Anthony Williams would be a great Brick, provided you had access to the Captain America machine.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm just glad I'm not invested in Borderlands at all. I enjoyed the first game and got most of the way through the second and had some fun with in multiplayer with friends but if it bombs, meh. My best mate on the other hand really loves the franchise so he's disappointed.

On the whole I do like that video game adaptations have become a thing. It's fun to revisit a world and story in a new way and even if many are stinkers the occasional gem makes it worth it. Most aren't even all that bad, just forgettable. Like I can appreciate the Sonic and Mario movies for what they are, the kids love them and I don't blame them, they're just not for me. It doesn't feel like a waste of source material, you know? And once in a while a true gem pops up like Arcane or The Last of Us and it makes it worth it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember reading about Borderlands in PC Gamer UK in I think 2007 when it was still realistic looking and fairly serious. It looked like a even more scifi Half Life 2 and its gimmick was randomized guns.

Then a couple of years later it popped up and had somehow changed its aesthetic and tone completely.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Not 'somehow', they stole it from that one guy.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You fools, Gina Gershon as Moxie is the greatest single casting decision in the history of video game adaptations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think the movie looks about exactly as good as a Borderlands adaptation should be, and I am anticipating it exactly as much as a person ought to. I don't really have a problem with the casting -- I'm sure not invested in these characters, despite having played the games -- but reading people gush over Jack Black's performance just leaves me confused. I don't think Jack Black is a bad actor, and he's great in some things. If anything, what I find frustrating about it is that the occasions I've heard him voice act (Bowser from the Mario Bros. movie, and the preview for Borderlands) he's so subdued. Why hire Jack Black to be subdued? That's not why you hire Jack Black.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Bussamove posted:

I want Martyn Ford, taking Jason Statham lessons, off'f Jason Statham.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why the hell is it not cg animated. Even if they had to make their own models. Telltale didn't struggle with this and their company was in the drain

Edit: maybe it's some kind of fear of making animation aimed at adults. It will sell fuckin gangbusters with folks who want Funko Pops of all the cast regardless.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Feb 25, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Remulak posted:

You fools, Gina Gershon as Moxie is the greatest single casting decision in the history of video game adaptations.

Alright that one I’ll concede, A+.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The casting is confusing but I'd forgive them for looking at the games and deciding not to bother being faithful and just doing whatever they think works. Apparently Krieg is a major character, and he's a BL2 DLC character I'm not sure got referenced much outside of that.

Thing is about Borderlands is that the whole setting and aesthetic has always felt like it has more potential than it seems; maybe because it's basically a cyberpunk setting's equivalent of a Third World country, on the receiving end of successive waves of corporate colonial extraction that always end in bloody failure, but shacked by... well, mostly Anthony Burch from the sound of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

If anything, what I find frustrating about it is that the occasions I've heard him voice act (Bowser from the Mario Bros. movie, and the preview for Borderlands) he's so subdued. Why hire Jack Black to be subdued? That's not why you hire Jack Black.

Honestly, Jack Black was the only one who actually put in some effort in the Mario movie.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alhazred posted:

Honestly, Jack Black was the only one who actually put in some effort in the Mario movie.

I really don't think he did. At all. Even the singing bit, which seemed to be there specifically to showcase Jack Black was the worst Jack Black song-related thing I think he's ever done. Again, not so terrible as to be "bad" but definitely not "great." Something you could have hired absolutely anybody for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

I really don't think he did. At all. Even the singing bit, which seemed to be there specifically to showcase Jack Black was the worst Jack Black song-related thing I think he's ever done. Again, not so terrible as to be "bad" but definitely not "great." Something you could have hired absolutely anybody for.

I'm pretty sure it was bad on purpose.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Never played borderlands but I'm weirdly interested in the movie after the trailer. I'm kinda stunned they got blanchett and Curtis in a video game movie.

At the very least we will get some cool sci fi guns out of it.

Watched the beekeeper and it gave me really strong late career Eastwood vibes. It's like an action movie made for old people. Yea it's got Statham lurching around like an autistic Jason vorhees through the scenery, but it's for a reason that makes very little sense and the actual bad guys are all just over the top "those darn youths!" characters.

The crazy lady with the mini gun was neat but that was over pretty quick. Honestly though I'm incredibly surprised they didn't have another super bad guy outfit called something like "the wasps" or "the hornets" trying to kill the lead.

It's like they had all these luxury ingredients and a recipe they swore would be badass and when it's done it turns out the mystery food was just sponge cake.

Also, incredibly surprised the evilest of the bad guys didn't get stabbed with his own prosthetic leg in an irony filled quip spewing death, but that would mean Statham would have had to show a personality.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Though on the subject of anime, I've been watching more light comedy animes trying to find the best gimmick show. And it is so hard to find one that doesn't quickly turn gruesome or "the entire world is depending on you".

Depending on what you mean by "gimmick show", you may have to look at series from the 80's/90's to find a light comedy anime. Have you tried Urusei Yatsura (which does have a modern adaptation, no idea how it is), Ranma 1/2 or the Slayers series? Slayers might have some gruesome moments, but I THINK those were mostly offscreen or implied, and usually happened to villains toying with power they shouldn't have.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
cannon busters is overall great anime, other than maybe 2 episodes where it's really loving warzone/cannibal dark, and even then those are parts instead of the theme, but even then it's nowhere near poo poo like Attack on Titan when it comes to blood and suffering.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I watched "Farming in another world" or whatever the title is a couple days ago. Pretty good. Definitely low stakes. Starts out as "guy needs to make a farm so he doesn't starve" and basically just ramps up from that. Never really a big overarching world ending plot worry in there.

It's got a harem feel to it cause virtually everyone who shows up and stays is a female, but there's virtually nil mentions of sex or anything. It almost aggressively ignores the idea.

I'd recommend it if you just want to watch a show about a guy who's life turns out pretty well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I watched "Farming in another world" or whatever the title is a couple days ago. Pretty good. Definitely low stakes. Starts out as "guy needs to make a farm so he doesn't starve" and basically just ramps up from that. Never really a big overarching world ending plot worry in there.

It's got a harem feel to it cause virtually everyone who shows up and stays is a female, but there's virtually nil mentions of sex or anything. It almost aggressively ignores the idea.

I'd recommend it if you just want to watch a show about a guy who's life turns out pretty well.

That sounds dope as gently caress actually.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed it. Made for a nice change of pace.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The ultimate fantasy: living in a nice community growing vegetables :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
At the end of Rounders, why was Grama so pissed off when Mike won? He's getting his money either way. The deal was to play for the whole debt so, at worse, Teddy KGB owes Gram the money. Unless Grama thinks for some reason that KGB would stiff him. Teddy has the power but I doubt he'd do that. Or did Grama just really want to beat the gently caress out of Mike again?

Also, it bugs me, but what hole cards did Teddy have? I need to watch it again (*watches scene*) but how did Teddy not consider the possibility of a straight? He had just seen Mike make a show of "laying down a monster" two pair hand when KGB had the hole cards to make a similar straight. In the last hand, Mike has 8, 9 of spades and the flop is 6, 7, 10; an obvious straight draw with no face cards and he has the made hand already here.

Teddy goes big and splashes the pot, suggesting he's holding pocket high cards, 6's, 7's or 10's (I think) OR that he has the straight himself. Or he's bluffing (without his Oreo cookie "tell"). Teddy accuses Mike of being "on a draw", meaning that he automatically assumes Mike doesn't have the 8 and 9 already. Why? Is Mike playing him here by being timid and unsure or not raising?

Next card is a 2. Likely not helping anybody, given the board, but someone might have pocket 2's still, yet that's unlikely since a good player wouldn't go big on that. Teddy bets large, trying to bait Mike, so we still have the strong likelihood of KGB having pocket 6's, 7's or 10's or any other pair that's not already in play, right?

Now he lays an ace out on the board and says "that ace could not have helped you". The presence of the ace on the board not helping Mike only makes sense if Teddy is treating Mike's hole cards ONLY as 2 aces so the appearance of a third one means that can't be. BUT, there are three 8's and three 9's still in play in the deck. And four as far as Teddy knows. How is he so blind to this possibility with an obvious straight draw on the board?

The only thing that makes sense is Mike's defeated, dejected face as part of his bluff to goad his opponent to go all in, which is of course the point, but how we got there still doesn't add up. My read/takeaway is that KGB simply had to have had trip aces (a great hand) and was waiting for that third one to appear but, again, he's a good enough player to realize the chance of a straight.

For a film that was so good about not holding the viewer's hand about how poker works and setting up how good the final two players are, it's a weird oversight. Unless someone else has a different read on it. What hole cards make sense for Teddy in that situation to create such a huge blind spot? It makes sense for MIKE to work this hand because there's no way Teddy can build a bigger straight once the flop comes out. Not enough remaining cards and that's the significance of the 2 coming out on the river. You can see Mike realizing that Teddy would need 8, 9 but also a Jack somewhere to make a bigger straight hand and also that three of a kind can't beat him, so he makes his real move here.

Whoops. Lots of :words: about Rounders up there.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Feb 28, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Protagonist Centered Morality seems the backbone of every cop/lawyer/doctor show. Catching bits of Mom's new show where a lawyer admitted he needed time alone with some jurors to make them "see the truth we need them to see." Cue his con team engineering an elevator stallout, with him with said jurors, and one of his conmen in the elevator fakes a heart attack; lawyer "saves" him, making all the jurors like the once-skuzzy lawyer. But this is okay, see, because he is the main character!

I'm sure there have been shows where the lawyer/cop pulls some poo poo, and after they get their client a not guilty verdict, the client admits they totally did the crime, but by next episode no one cares.

I just saw today that there's some new Jurassic Park movie (and game which looks promising at least) that is a direct sequel to the original movie, ignoring the Lost World and everything else. Some focus on the Barbasol can?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Caught an episode of an old sitcom called Rules of Engagement today. It ran from 2007 to 2013, but feels like it's from a million years ago.

One set of characters is a married couple with a slobby guy who is always horny and his professional wife who isn't. That's the joke. Literally the only interactions he had with her during the episode was trying to have sex with her.

Then there's David Spade who plays a racist rich guy with a personal assistant who's Indian. That's the joke.

One "joke" from the episode is Spade's character has to fly somewhere, so he offers his assistant the opportunity to come with him. Says it will be a huge change for him as he's probably more used to riding on the roof of a train holding a goat under each arm.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Feb 28, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Caught an episode of an old sitcom called Rules of Engagement today. It ran from 2007 to 2013, but feels like it's from a million years ago.

One set of characters is a married couple with a slobby guy who is always horny and his professional wife who isn't. That's the joke. Literally the only interactions he had with her during the episode was trying to have sex with her.

Then there's David Spade who plays a racist rich guy with a personal assistant who's Indian. That's the joke.

One "joke" from the episode is Spade's character has to fly somewhere, so he offers his assistant the opportunity to come with him. Says it will be a huge change for him as he's probably more used to riding on the roof of a train holding a goat under each arm.

That reminds me of the Will Arnett show "Running Wilde" that lasted 13 episodes in 2011 and featured Peter Serafinowicz, a white man from Liverpool, as "Fa'ad Shaoulin" in what is definitely brownface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=C5o6e9JITaQ

Twenty Eleven.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fil5000 posted:

That reminds me of the Will Arnett show "Running Wilde" that lasted 13 episodes in 2011 and featured Peter Serafinowicz, a white man from Liverpool, as "Fa'ad Shaoulin" in what is definitely brownface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=C5o6e9JITaQ

Twenty Eleven.

You really just left out the best bit of Peter Serafinowicz's character so it would be a surprise didn't you?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PriorMarcus posted:

You really just left out the best bit of Peter Serafinowicz's character so it would be a surprise didn't you?

Salam, PriorMarcus.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

At the end of Rounders, why was Grama so pissed off when Mike won? He's getting his money either way(...)Or did Grama just really want to beat the gently caress out of Mike again?

Perils of a virtually infallible memory, this was my take when you asked this question eighteen months ago. He's supposed to be projecting menace and badassness and a willingness to indulge in physical violence at the drop of a hat. He's not very good at it though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Perils of a virtually infallible memory, this was my take when you asked this question eighteen months ago. He's supposed to be projecting menace and badassness and a willingness to indulge in physical violence at the drop of a hat. He's not very good at it though.

Ah, poo poo. Forgot I posted it previously. Still not sure about the cards part though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BiggerBoat posted:

Ah, poo poo. Forgot I posted it previously. Still not sure about the cards part though.

Maybe this helps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnV0vgfOqao

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

A white man from Liverpool whose grandfather was a Nazi war criminal even.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

The alleged war criminal's grandson has received rave reviews for The Peter Serafinowicz Show, a fast-moving mix of absurd sketches featuring the comedian's outlandish take on stars such as Sir Paul McCartney, Simon Cowell and Al Pacino.

If you yourself aren't one, it's probably an honor to be called "grandson of the alleged war criminal". He's now one of the only comedians who can get away with the joke about his grandfather downing 30 aircraft in World War II, easily the worst mechanic in the whole Luftwaffe.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Feb 28, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, I watched that, thanks.

It's never made clear but the thing that clinched it for me was watching the opening scene and realizing it's basically the exact same scenario only this time Mike has learned a few things so it unfolds differently for him. Teddy had aces in that first scene also. I poked around some discussions and it's never totally made clear but aces are the only thing that make sense and it also bookends the film.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I am very high and thought this was a different thread. Sorry!

Lexorin has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Mar 1, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lexorin posted:

I am very high and thought this was a different thread. Sorry!

A demerit has been added to your official posting record. May god have mercy on your soul.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I saw the trailer for The Fall Guy back in December or something, and it looked like a giant, steaming pile of horseshit. By the numbers fish out of water 'comedy' with Ryan Gosling as a stuntman (not a stunt performer, the trailer lets you know he's all man and like Kryptonite for keeping panties on) who has to muddle his way through a series of ludicrous violent and deadly encounters while repairing his relationship with Emily Blunt (which he apparently does just by being so manly). This is all happening to the tune of a stutter-stepped, starting/stopping/restarting "You give love a bad name."

If I had given two fucks thinking about the movie since then, I would have thought that fan reaction should have retooled the trailer to focus more on "comedy" and action and less on blatant misogyny and hackneyed fight scenes and that terrible version of that terrible song played over and over.

Welp, I saw Dune 2 last night, and in the pile of trailers one stinking turd rose to the top. I can't say for sure, but it looks like exactly the same trailer that they played 2-3 months ago or whenever I saw it. I reacted exactly the same to it as before. For God's sake, I almost was put off of having intercourse with my novelty Shai-halud worm-mouth popcorn bucket.

And who the hell decided that a Lee Majors vehicle was the perfect IP for a movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I hope you wanked without rhythm.