Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

I think the answer is, like always, that the US military assumes that its 4 different air forces will just be able to bomb the primitive savages (who obviously cannot shoot back) with impunity and thus it doesn’t really matter how brittle and under armed your ground forces are. Because the enemy will have already been reduced to flaming wreckage by the fancy cruise missiles and invisible bombs you see. So the grunts will never have to worry about facing an actual organized military in the field.

It's this. Everything assume absolute total air supremacy.

Contested? Peer? Confused look. I'm sorry I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
thank you neoliberals for ensuring tha tthe us will lose ww3

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Had this conversation with family this week:

Me: I wouldn't bet on the dollar holding as strong forever. It seems that its basis is slowly being chipped away.

Family: look at this:

https://twitter.com/Meleern/status/1648488992814551042?t=rMmu2lhMd-L6vu6Oxp6jDw&s=19

Me: that's exactly what I'm talking about. Operation Prosperity Guardian was a failure. They had this big naval operation but the Red Sea is still blockaded.

Family: They could've escalated but they chose not to.

Me: Sounds like they're not as effective as they used to be.

And it's wild to me that outside of cspam, no one seems to be seeing the same pattern of institutional rot, military/naval decline and failed missions. They saw they failure of Prosperity Guardian and just filed it away in their heads as "ah its not worth it nevermind doesn't matter."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Plenty of people see it. They just know better than to talk about it because repercussions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A lot of them don't, and it isn't impossible to see why, if you listen to the US media and don't really care about the rest of the world (most Americans), then it seems everything is going well.

Most people aren't piecing together what is going with the US military and its boondoggles, and are gaslit enough to believe things are still going well. They don't get or care about manufacturing or industrial production, and they don't get the difference between nominal GDP and purchasing price parity etc etc.

You have to send some time and effort to get know how the world works, they just will refuse to do that.

So... yeah everything still looks impressive to them.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Ardennes posted:

A lot of them don't, and it isn't impossible to see why, if you listen to the US media and don't really care about the rest of the world (most Americans), then it seems everything is going well.

Most people aren't piecing together what is going with the US military and its boondoggles, and are gaslit enough to believe things are still going well. They don't get or care about manufacturing or industrial production, and they don't get the difference between nominal GDP and purchasing price parity etc etc.

You have to send some time and effort to get know how the world works, they just will refuse to do that.

So... yeah everything still looks impressive to them.

My family and I are South African, but yeah the American sphere of propaganda extends far.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

For many people, I think they look at dollars spent and assume that it equates directly to effectiveness. We see this in military spending, infrastructure spending, and all kinds of programs. It's enough for the average person to read "US spends as much on military as the next (x) nations combined" and conclude "the US can easily defeat (x) nations in a multiple-front war."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

palindrome posted:

For many people, I think they look at dollars spent and assume that it equates directly to effectiveness. We see this in military spending, infrastructure spending, and all kinds of programs. It's enough for the average person to read "US spends as much on military as the next (x) nations combined" and conclude "the US can easily defeat (x) nations in a multiple-front war."

Yeah, the US even with the war still probably out spends the Russians 10-12x in terms of USD, the question is what actual effectiveness you actually get out of it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Votskomit posted:

And it's wild to me that outside of cspam, no one seems to be seeing the same pattern of institutional rot, military/naval decline and failed missions. They saw they failure of Prosperity Guardian and just filed it away in their heads as "ah its not worth it nevermind doesn't matter."

We didn't *really* want to open one of the world's most important sea-lanes anyway.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, the US see's a "near peer" adversary in that we're the ones nearly as competent and well equipped as the Russians or Chinese but still lagging behind.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GoLambo posted:

Yeah, the US see's a "near peer" adversary in that we're the ones nearly as competent and well equipped as the Russians or Chinese but still lagging behind.

I am actually finding with the US calling the rest of the world "near peer" if only it means how complacent and out of touch they actually are.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
NYC subway system is near perr to all the global south subway systems.

palindrome posted:

Is there a purchase power index for just military? Feels like it will be 10 times more lopsided than GDP vs regular PPP numbers.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:58 on Feb 28, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's actually "near pear" and it's just calling Xi fat

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

NYC subway system is near perr to all the global south subway systems.

Is there a purchase power index for just military? Feels like it will be 10 times more lopsided than GDP vs regular PPP numbers.

I have wondered about the same thing. How many impoverished civilians can you equip with AK rifles for the cost of a single modern invading soldier? It is a terrible thing to consider the price of a human life, but at some point a larger supply of poorly equipped and poorly trained soldiers will defeat a smaller force of well equipped and highly trained soldiers. And this is being charitable by assuming that that the more expensive soldier will always perform better. Vietnam and other conflicts demonstrate that this may not always be the case. I don't really know anything though, I just imagine it as a video game like starcraft or something where you are trying to efficiently spend finite resources in a simulation. Actual people sacrificing their lives is something else entirely and is much more tragic.

The purchase power index for military must be real though. Things like the cost per rifle round fired, cost per artillery shell. Cost per day to feed/shelter a solider. At some point this will matter to the participants in a war.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Votskomit posted:

Me: that's exactly what I'm talking about. Operation Prosperity Guardian was a failure. They had this big naval operation but the Red Sea is still blockaded.

Excuse me: they have sent a clear message that the Houthi's behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think the message was the USN and RN fleets have no sustained ability to operate in an environment where the other party can shoot back.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

I think the message was the USN and RN fleets have no sustained ability to operate in an environment where the other party can shoot back.

Also, the number of ships that the USN/RN can sustainable put into action in a single region is actually more limited than it seems. The Royal Navy in particular seems to be struggling to keep a single frigate in the region while the USN has 2 carriers in position for immediately responding to threats, one in the Red Sea and one in the Pacific. There is third underway from the US seaboard, but that is just to replace the Eisenhower.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trapped in the building? No, non essential personnel sheltering on site.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ardennes posted:

The Royal Navy in particular seems to be struggling to keep a single frigate in the region

When you can count your seaworthy warships on your fingers, maintaining any number of vessels in any location becomes a struggle, yes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think the RN recently decided it didn't need logistic vessels

so...

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Warships running out of rope and paint is going to be funnier than running out of missiles imo.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

so...

The USN only has 3 salvage recovery ships

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

We're going to get rocked so hard it's not even funny.

The last conventional exercise I paid close attention to, US troops weren't camouflaging their positions at all, didn't dig fighting positions, let alone dig weapons emplacements and absolutely no effort was made to dig in vehicles. Their positions could be seen from a great distance from the air and ground because there was garbage strewn around, and a forest of radio masts.

I still think all the time about the bit in the m777 manual that says you should just hook up your howitzer batteries into the national power grid because that's cheaper than the formations having their own generators.

For the, you know.

Bluetooth and internet broadcasting howitzers.

I do think it is worth noting that "US CPs will be instantly identified and destroyed" was if not the first then one of the first notes in the paper released last year that concluded the US would lose a war against any enemy that would be an actual war. So, they are actually paying attention, to some degree.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Votskomit posted:

Had this conversation with family this week:

Me: I wouldn't bet on the dollar holding as strong forever. It seems that its basis is slowly being chipped away.

Family: look at this:

https://twitter.com/Meleern/status/1648488992814551042?t=rMmu2lhMd-L6vu6Oxp6jDw&s=19

Family: They could've escalated but they chose not to.

Me: Sounds like they're not as effective as they used to be.

"nfl teams don't bother trying to win games sometimes when they've already got the postseason wrapped up"

the exact logic a family member gave me when I brought up the red sea

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The company that made the generators and transformer converter, no longer exists, and you have to call some company in New Jersey if anything breaks.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I do think it is worth noting that "US CPs will be instantly identified and destroyed" was if not the first then one of the first notes in the paper released last year that concluded the US would lose a war against any enemy that would be an actual war. So, they are actually paying attention, to some degree.

If anyone hasn't seen one, US command posts, which I think they call TOCs, can be seen from km away because of the forest of tall masts, and can be heard from at least several hundred m because of the hum of generators, air conditioning units, heaters, whatever.

I can only imagine how much they light up the electromagnetic spectrum. Direction finding them would be almost trivial because I've never known US troops on exercise (granted visiting Canada) to lay down field telephone lines, let alone the old school stuff like using flares, semaphore, signal flags, coloured smoke, for signalling.

Instead, there's been a shift to broadcast more signals than radio traffic, by using internet, satellite and data links.

So instead of using Teleprinter, which is a short burst of radio that prints out a readout, or laying phone lines and using fax, they send pdfs via internet and then print them with a HP to send documents, which I've been told has a more obvious or maybe always-on EM signature.

This is all from the outside looking in, maybe they are super squared away and disciplined with EMCON.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Feb 28, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The company that made the generators and transformer converter, no longer exists, and you have to call some company in New Jersey if anything breaks.

If anyone hasn't seen one, US command posts, which I think they call TOCs, can be seen from km away because of the forest of tall masts, and can be heard from at least several hundred m because of the hum of generators, air conditioning units, heaters, whatever.

I can only imagine how much they light up the electromagnetic spectrum. Direction finding them would be almost trivial because I've never known US troops on exercise (granted visiting Canada) to lay down field telephone lines, let alone the old school stuff like using flares, semaphore, signal flags, coloured smoke, for signalling.

Instead, there's been a shift to broadcast more signals than radio traffic, by using internet, satellite and data links.

So instead of using Teleprinter, which is a short burst of radio that prints out a readout, or laying phone lines and using fax, they send pdfs via internet and then print them with a HP to send documents, which I've been told has a more obvious or maybe always-on EM signature.

This is all from the outside looking in, maybe they are super squared away and disciplined with EMCON.
i sometimes get lost looking at google earth

it is jaw droppingly easy to spot a US military operation from satellite photos. they all have such similar features, as you outline. even in the most remote places, there's the same perimeter, zig-zag approach for vehicles, separated fuel facility, separated power facilty, same temporary buildings, etc.

i'm sure to anyone who actually has a real interest in finding them, it's even easier

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it is jaw droppingly easy to spot a US military operation from satellite photos. they all have such similar features, as you outline. even in the most remote places, there's the same perimeter, zig-zag approach for vehicles, separated fuel facility, separated power facilty, same temporary buildings, etc.

i'm sure to anyone who actually has a real interest in finding them, it's even easier

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol the perimeter around I assume the airstrip really is the same

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The fitbit maps were an amazing self-own

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ardennes posted:

it's as if there is a sort of Normalization happening of our deteriorating conditions by our media and political elites since it is impossible to imagine a future without capitalism, and it has forced us to accept a false truth as reality.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Nothus posted:

The fitbit maps were an amazing self-own

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's as if there is a sort of Normalization happening of our deteriorating conditions by our media and political elites since it is impossible to imagine a future without capitalism, and it has forced us to accept a false truth as reality.

hmm .. source?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

US Military not even grasping basic Command & Conquer strategy has me smh

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

they used to obfuscate some of them. it was crazy when they were like "yeah area 51 is real you can look at it on google maps now"

presumably that means there are other facilities still obfuscated though. or just underground

Hatebag has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Feb 28, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Votskomit posted:

On Facebook I saw an article about planned Chinese lunar missions racking up a bunch of laugh reacts and openly racist "haha me chinese me make rocket on wish dot com. NASA is actually #1 in space USA!" comments from boomers and it's like. Man. You have not been keeping up on current events.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

so...

Don't need logistic vessels when your carriers can't even leave port

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hatebag posted:

they used to obfuscate some of them. it was crazy when they were like "yeah area 51 is real you can look at it on google maps now"

presumably that means there are other facilities still obfuscated though. or just underground
i think the prevalence of satellite surveillance means some agency tracks them closely and gives various facilities windows in which they can operate; area 51, for example, has a couple of hangars that are believed to be solely for when something needs to be hidden quickly

underground bases seem to be largely myth; there's old CIA documents that allege enormous underground bases in the USSR that just never existed. china probably has that sub base that is "underground," and some things in iran are underground, but largely for defensive purposes, not for secrecy

funny enough, some of the only areas actually blurred out on google earth these days are parts of israel around gaza and particular military bases/ports

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Well, as U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper once said, "A ship in harbor is safe."

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
closest thing to real underground bases are probably all those tunnel systems the brits built in WW2 in london

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"nfl teams don't bother trying to win games sometimes when they've already got the postseason wrapped up"

the exact logic a family member gave me when I brought up the red sea

I don't even understand the analogy they're trying to make. The stated goal is immediate and constant: "secure freedom of maritime trade [for genocide-involved nations, without stopping our critical genocide operations]" There is no playoffs, no superbowl, just the one persistent objective.

poisonpill posted:

Well, as U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper once said, "A ship in harbor is safe."

A "Fleet in being" except instead of ships extending control from a port, it's numbers on a spreadsheet extending control by their purchasing power to potentially secure the contracts to have the ships built to control the seas.