Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I've found (planets) Planet X and Ceres. What's the third secret hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

5 of a kind, flush 5, and flush house i believe

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Do ice cream and popcorn have upgraded forms like the banana?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
They do not.

Also yeah, 2 hours later from my previous post, flittering through various challenges and high stakes and yeah, nothing else accomplished. Purple and beyond really tests your ability to get your engine going from the word go. Starting to get nervous that even if I know what I'm doing, once I'm at all purples I might just have to stop because running the game on repeat will drive me insane. Not too discouraged yet though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Having to deprogram myself from the checkered deck after trying to gold stake it for 25 hours straight it's so weird not mindlessly clicking flushes

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I look forward to finally reaching and then winning on gold stakes...

And then having to do it again on every deck.

And then having to do it with every Joker having been present in the game winning hand at one point.

:shepicide:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah I won gold stake with the green deck, it was rough. The opportunity cost of skipping early on becomes way higher, you really want to play each match out so you can check the shops for useful jokers that will let you build an engine right away. That -1 hand size really is a slap in the face.

I got lucky and got the mad queens joker + blueprint + DNA so I was able to make 2 queens per match and get a great build going that way.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

This won purple stake, but what the gently caress celestial packs. The only upgrades I got for flush (running checkered deck), was from a blackhole. Well, I had one Jupiter really but had to play the arm early in the run, gently caress that boss.

Made it to ante 11 on level 2 flushes

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 28, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nihilarian posted:

Do ice cream and popcorn have upgraded forms like the banana?

There is an upgraded form? :psyduck: How do you upgrade it?

Also the best single hand payout I’ve gotten so far has been a bit north of 1 mil. How do I deal with higher antes that jump up suddenly to 7 or 12 mil?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also the best single hand payout I’ve gotten so far has been a bit north of 1 mil. How do I deal with higher antes that jump up suddenly to 7 or 12 mil?

You find and stack X multiplier from as many sources as you can find and try to feed it with other card synergies. You also try to hit your biggest X multipliers last, so keep the highest level of X multiplier on the right side if it's a joker.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If your Gros Michel rots, the Cavendish can show up randomly

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nothing like being like “heh. I’m good at the game now” and then promptly eating poo poo in Ante 1

I keep skipping blinds too aggressively early on

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

how the hell can you get a deck down to 20 cards, I think the best I've ever gotten is 34. Need more jokers that kill cards.

monochromagic
Jun 17, 2023

:mad:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

how the hell can you get a deck down to 20 cards, I think the best I've ever gotten is 34. Need more jokers that kill cards.
Probably fish for Immolate from Spectral Packs, glass cards/enhancements and hope to proc the destruction (Oops All 6s can help), and of course Hanged Man.
Also the Abandoned Deck has 12 less cards to start with.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wow I think that's the first time I've lost a game due to the Ox (had a big bank and The Bull, but had to play the forbidden hand or lose the blind).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

had a great run last night with the red deck based on the LEgendary that gives each King/Queen played a x4 modifier and I nearly won a game with it… until the ante 7 boss blind disabled face cards

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ghost Deck /w Blue Stakes down :toot:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

barnold posted:

anything that triggers chips should be on the left, anything that adds flat mult in the middle, anything that multiplies mult goes to the right

I don't think this matters. Chips and mult only get multiplied at the very last moment to calculate the final score, and don't interact in any way before that. So the only thing you should pay attention to is making sure your Xmult goes after anything that just adds mult.

The position of jokers just adding chips has no impact.

uXs fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 28, 2024

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I was starting to get annoyed that I hadn't seen a legendary jokers yet until I was blessed with 2 legendaries from the same shop.

I ended up with 12 jokers thanks to the anaglyph deck. My deck was pretty much just steel and glass kings and got my highest score ever.

I swapped out one of my jokers for the one that retriggers everything on the last hand played. I also recently bought the voucher that drops the ante at the expense of -1hand. My dumbass immediately miscounted how many hands I had left and I played high card instead of 5 of a kind completely punting my run at ante 12.

I hope someone who has more than a timeshare of a single braincell can take this seed to it's true potential.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

You find and stack X multiplier from as many sources as you can find and try to feed it with other card synergies. You also try to hit your biggest X multipliers last, so keep the highest level of X multiplier on the right side if it's a joker.

What do you mean "feed it"? I've not seen any other cards interact with it, I thought it just gave a flat +15 mult with 1 out of 5 chance of rotting and disappearing. Does Joker placement matter for this? I think I've always kept it on the far left side whenever it shows up.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 28, 2024

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ax3x2 is the same as Ax2x3 though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What do you mean "feed it"? I've not seen any other cards interact with it, I thought it just gave a flat +15 mult with 1 out of 5 chance of rotting and disappearing. Does Joker placement matter for this? I think I've always kept it on the far left side whenever it shows up.

The "feeding" bit was in reference to making antes go above several mil. The only way to force the Gros Michel to go extinct faster (apart from playing a lot of hands) so you can grab the "upgraded" banana in the shop is via the probability manipulation of Oops All Sixes.

Half of these guys done.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Flushy Fellas: always check what hand you're about to play before you hit submit. I learned the hard way that if your flush contains wild cards, and 3 or 4 of a kind containing those wild cards, the game will play it as a 3 or 4 of a kind.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sparticle posted:

I was starting to get annoyed that I hadn't seen a legendary jokers yet until I was blessed with 2 legendaries from the same shop.

I ended up with 12 jokers thanks to the anaglyph deck. My deck was pretty much just steel and glass kings and got my highest score ever.

I swapped out one of my jokers for the one that retriggers everything on the last hand played. I also recently bought the voucher that drops the ante at the expense of -1hand. My dumbass immediately miscounted how many hands I had left and I played high card instead of 5 of a kind completely punting my run at ante 12.

I hope someone who has more than a timeshare of a single braincell can take this seed to it's true potential.

This is so loving cool, how much luck is involved in reaching a hand like this? I've gotten into the billions of scored points and it seems like every Joker had to go just right, you gotta get one banger after another.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

smoobles posted:

This is so loving cool, how much luck is involved in reaching a hand like this? I've gotten into the billions of scored points and it seems like every Joker had to go just right, you gotta get one banger after another.

It's mostly luck but you also need some sort of gold making engine to allow you to completely overhaul your deck through tarot/spectral cards. For most of that run I had the joker that gives gold when you discard 3+ face cards and the joker that makes all cards count as face cards.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

smoobles posted:

Flushy Fellas: always check what hand you're about to play before you hit submit. I learned the hard way that if your flush contains wild cards, and 3 or 4 of a kind containing those wild cards, the game will play it as a 3 or 4 of a kind.

3 on its own shouldn't happen because a flush is a higher hand.

You definitely need to watch out for 4 of a kind and full houses though.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I mean play into your synergies that develop depending on what jokers you are finding. Feeding enhanced cards to your vampire, buying Jupiters for your flush deck, selling cards for your camp fire, and so forth.

uXs posted:

Ax3x2 is the same as Ax2x3 though.

Oh yeah, you are right.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

This won purple stake, but what the gently caress celestial packs. The only upgrades I got for flush (running checkered deck), was from a blackhole. Well, I had one Jupiter really but had to play the arm early in the run, gently caress that boss.

Made it to ante 11 on level 2 flushes

This is why I don't put a lot of stock into hand levels. If you have a ton of playing card xmultiplier and no playing card +multiplier then leveling up becomes important, but otherwise it's pretty piddly compared to joker bonuses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think they can matter a lot for chips up through ante 8. If you get 5 levels on flush it's like a free blue joker which can make the difference on purple+ chip runs where you're struggling to hit 340k - the normal meta build for me is 1 chip card 1 mult card and 3 X cards but enough levels can let you run 4 of the X cards if you hit them. Obviously when the game becomes exponential 1.5xing your total chips isnt meaningful, but even in endless mode play-trigger decks (fibonacci and friends) the base mult increase matters because it gets scaled by every 1.5x from stone face etc.

This assumes you're in a position where you have econ and need to make your hand stronger and feel somewhat capped on jokers (and arent hitting ez mode econ->power stuff like bonfire).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 28, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's part of your toolkit and I'm not going to pass it up, but I rarely find it to be make or break on a run, especially once you get to the first levelup or two; the difference between level 1 and level 3 is a lot bigger than the difference between 3 and 5, and in a lot of builds even the difference between 1 and 5 is pretty minor. Those 4 levels might be a 25% increase or less on a mature build if you don't have many card-trigger xmultipliers; that's not nothing, but it's not a gamechanger.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It really depends, 25% has been the difference between winning and losing for me quite often. Obviously it's not free but as econ dumps go its worth a consideration because turning gold into power isnt something that always succeeds in this game.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
The ghost deck feels a bit like a monkey's paw. I have this awesome Hex card but the joker draw is either terrible or i dont have money and so far i either blow it on a lovely joker or hang on for it too long.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, Blue Stake is definitely where I'm starting to get a little sick of the game's bullshit, not in the "this is challenging and rewarding" way, but in the "what the gently caress am I supposed to do with any of this." way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

as econ dumps go its worth a consideration because turning gold into power isnt something that always succeeds in this game.

I guess we agree on this point, I think we're just coming to different conclusions on the importance of planets (and by extension money in general, since as you note planets are one of the few ways to convert cash into power--although I still usually prefer to see tarots.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh my god, I just died on Ante 7 of Blue Stake because I was playing an Acrobat deck and didn't pay attention to my number of hands left.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MJeff posted:

Okay, Blue Stake is definitely where I'm starting to get a little sick of the game's bullshit, not in the "this is challenging and rewarding" way, but in the "what the gently caress am I supposed to do with any of this." way.

Purple Stake is my wall at the moment. The ante scaling is loving brutal at this stage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

Oh my god, I just died on Ante 7 of Blue Stake because I was playing an Acrobat deck and didn't pay attention to my number of hands left.

I had an Acrobat, a Duo and a Vampire at 3.2x, I had Arrowhead and Wrathful Joker, I had multiples of all of my Aces, Kings, Queens and Jacks of Spades, I had Flushes over level 10, I had a The World card ready to convert anything to make a Flush, I HAD A NEGATIVE LUCHADOR FOR THE ANTE 8 BOSS BLIND

and I just

played a high card on my last hand.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I had an Acrobat, a Duo and a Vampire at 3.2x, I had Arrowhead and Wrathful Joker, I had multiples of all of my Aces, Kings, Queens and Jacks of Spades, I had Flushes over level 10, I had a The World card ready to convert anything to make a Flush, I HAD A NEGATIVE LUCHADOR FOR THE ANTE 8 BOSS BLIND

and I just

played a high card on my last hand.

I blew up a fantastic orange run the other night because I was spamming high card for tarots from Vagabond and forgot that I had taken something that took me down to 3 hands/round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Can retriggers stack? Can a card retrigger more than once?