Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dren posted:

people are acting like oh even with all that money & upgraded ventilation she still got sick but we don’t know where she got sick. coulda been hitting up the buffets.

taylor will eventually get got too, her people are being careful around her but we saw how she socializes at all the football games

Swift has long been a voice for left-wing politics, especially on cultural topics. During the pandemic, she championed many of the pandemic’s restrictions and openly questioned and criticized those who defied the false promises and securities of COVID-19 restrictions supported by Democratic politicians. The fact that Kelce joined this bandwagon, with a suspected huge financial payout from Pfizer, left many with a sense of betrayal and resentment toward the athletic star.

Kelce and Swift could be the romantic pairing of vaccine enthusiasts everywhere. Imagine, if you will, grown adults shunning people who aren’t taking the recent rise in COVID-19 cases seriously while simultaneously running around in adoration of the new power couple, and like little school children, singing, “Taylor and Travis sitting in KC, V-A-C-C-I-N-A-T-I-N-G.” The only thing missing in all this would be Dr. Anthony Fauci presiding over the left-wing, vaccine-fueled marriage ceremony between the pop star and gridiron icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Got this text alert from city hall.
Heart attacks are seasonal.

quote:

Due to seasonal changes and chronic illnesses in the <My city> area, there are frequent cases of cardiac arrest. To save the lives of family members and neighbors, please respond immediately by performing CPR within the golden time of 4 minutes and quickly transporting patients to the hospital. [<My City> City Hall]

:rubby:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hm.. I can't help but notice that doesn't say to call for an ambulance.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gildiss posted:

Got this text alert from city hall.
Heart attacks are seasonal.

:rubby:

I uh what. Are you in the US? lol

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Oh yeah, doctors on strike so you'll get driven around for 8 hours and die as every hospital in a 50 mile radius reject you.

ER admission delay leads to death of cardiac arrest patient

quote:

Admission delays at emergency rooms were reported across South Korea amid a walkout by trainee doctors, while a cardiac arrest patient in her 80s died in an ambulance in Daejeon while emergency workers tried to find an ER that would admit her.

According to local media reports on Monday, the patient suffered heart failure on Friday and was taken away by an ambulance. The emergency workers were turned away by seven hospitals, who told them that they did not have medical staff or hospital beds to treat her.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Feb 28, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Ambulances are only for emergencies.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Heart attack season
Wild fire season

Only two more apocalyptic seasons to go.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
it’s coughing season
and all the girls are feverin’

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The headline is unclear for some reason, but the lack of clarity surrounds exactly how many extra cardiovascular deaths should be expected in this new normal caused by COVID,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-26/covid-made-heart-disease-deadlier-puzzling-scientists posted:

A Spike in Heart Disease Deaths Since Covid Is Puzzling Scientists
Mortality data of the past four years show a wave of deadly cardiovascular and metabolic illness.
(..)
Not only did the pandemic result in the most deaths in a century, but it also triggered a wave of deadly cardiovascular and metabolic illness. While cases like Dowd’s were known from the start, mortality data of the last four years are now revealing the scale of the impact.

From 2020 to 2022, a quarter of a million more Americans over 35 years old succumbed to cardiovascular disease than predicted based on historical trends, according to Bloomberg analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2023, age-adjusted stroke mortality was almost 5% above pre-pandemic levels, according to preliminary data, while rates from deaths related to hypertensive heart disease, rhythm abnormalities, blood clots, diabetes and kidney failure were 15-28% higher. Covid had a muted impact on other common causes of death such as cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, the data show.

“The cardiometabolic aftereffects of SARS-CoV-2 have been profound, persistent, and peculiar — really peculiar,” said cardiologist Susan Cheng, director of public health research at Cedars-Sinai’s Smidt Heart Institute in Los Angeles.

Scientists are still trying to figure out why. It’s unclear how many people died from Covid’s cardiovascular complications and how many died because of its indirect consequences, such as disrupted medical care and worsening rates of obesity and high blood pressure.

“Based on our data, we can’t really draw a line to any one of those things,” said Robert Anderson, chief of the statistical analysis and surveillance branch of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics.

Cardiac Crisis
Heart disease deaths in the US jumped 5.8% in 2020, the most in more than 30 years

(..)
Easily Overlooked
But obesity doesn’t explain everything. Even countries like Japan, with the lowest prevalence of overweight and obesity in the developed world, registered an uptick in cardiovascular deaths linked to Covid.

In the US, infections led to an increase in heart and metabolic-related ailments — from hypertension and diabetes to palpitations caused by postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome — in both patients with and without cardiovascular risk factors, said Cedar-Sinai’s Cheng.

Greater immunity and the emergence of less severe variants have since lowered the incidence of deadly complications, but the problem hasn’t gone away. Each coronavirus infection a person experiences, no matter how mild, might be acting like its own cardiovascular risk factor, she said. The longer-term effects are even more mysterious.

“We need more studies to try to help us understand what to do with what’s a rapidly growing proportion of the population for which this is an issue,” Cheng said.

Some of the uncertainty stems from how easy it’s been to overlook the virus in patients without existing significant lung and respiratory symptoms. In the first Covid wave, heart attacks, large-vessel strokes, and other serious cardiovascular problems were sometimes the first clinical manifestations of Covid, including in young patients.

Almost 1.175 million Americans have died from Covid since early 2020, according to the CDC. Multiple studies have shown that the real tally was much higher, and a study earlier this month found 163,000 deaths previously attributed to natural causes were actually due to Covid.
(..)
They’ve also learned that the virus can directly infect certain heart tissues, including coronary vessels, to cause inflammation of the fatty plaque inside arteries. Covid may also trigger new-onset hypertension and drive pernicious changes in cholesterol, especially among hospitalized patients. All of these increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, although it’s hard to demonstrate that Covid was the triggering event.

“There’s no medical test that can distinguish between a heart attack caused by Covid some months later, versus one that would have happened anyway,” said Karen Cutter, who heads a working group studying Covid’s effects on mortality at the Actuaries Institute in Sydney.
(..)
About half of US adults found paying for health care difficult, and a quarter said they or a household family member had problems paying in the past 12 months, according to a survey in late 2023 by KFF, a San Francisco-based nonprofit.

“We stressed-tested the health system with the pandemic,” Roth said. “In many places, it failed, and it has only very slightly improved in terms of providing access. And when there’s limited access, who gets squeezed out first? The people who had the hardest time getting it in the first place.”
(..)

Such concerns highlight Covid’s broad and enduring consequences that doctors, researchers, and demographers are struggling to fathom. Difficulty teasing out the multiple drivers of the excess deaths in the pandemic era makes it challenging to anticipate if and when mortality might resume a more normal pattern. This is frustrating efforts to calculate how many people are likely to die each year.

The grim statistic is crucial in projecting population growth and making appropriate plans for everything from road-building to pensions. It also sets a baseline for measuring excess mortality needed to quantify the impact of flu and other diseases and to identify priority areas for preventative public health programs.

“It’s a challenge because we’re not sure what the new normal is,” the CDC’s Anderson said. “I’m not sure that we can really get a good handle on this for another year or two.”

so excess mortality models can be adjusted to the new baseline :unsmigghh:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mask

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

quote:

Trips to the doctor’s office are on the rise as a mysterious virus, or viruses, is spreading across the state.

Some could have the flu or Covid-19, but some patients are leaving appointments without a diagnosis. It’s something being dubbed the "Oklahoma Flu."

To make matters worse, this time of year, it only takes one contagious person to infect a classroom, an office, or even a newsroom.

At News 9, we didn't have to look far to find someone who can attest. If you noticed the absence of a familiar face last week, now you know why.

"Aches, fever, cough started," said News 9 Chief Meteorologist David Payne.

Even he isn't immune to a case of the Oklahoma flu. He was out for five days and never got a diagnosis.

"It was horrible," he said. "It wasn't a cold, but whatever it was, it was a nightmare."

David is one of many, inside our newsroom and out. So, why does it seem like everyone's getting so sick?

News 9's in-house medical expert Dr. Lacy Anderson, who is also a family medicine physician, says it could be tied to the pandemic.

"Everybody was wearing masks," she said, adding that this was slowing the spread. "All the viruses we didn't see for two to three years kind of surge all at once."

Those nameless sicknesses can still pack a punch.

"You can be sick, and it's not flu and it's not Covid," she said.

Her best advice is to stay home and treat your symptoms, even if you don't want to.

"Yeah, yeah,” David joked. “I don't like sitting at home doing nothing. It was about five days of fun."

Dr. Anderson says we should see these case numbers drop off by the end of March, and she's hopeful that next year won't be as severe as we all start to naturally gain immunity this year.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

IANAD but I am a dumb oklahoman and uh its covid

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Speaking of South Korea

https://twitter.com/Mike_Honey_/status/1762754068991381715

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
ffs would it kill people to use contrasting colors in graphs? “think I’m gonna go with a few shades of yellowish green on this one…”

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

quote:

Dr. Anderson says we should see these case numbers drop off by the end of March, and she's hopeful that next year won't be as severe as we all start to naturally gain immunity this year.

:hmmrona:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Weltlich posted:

ffs would it kill people to use contrasting colors in graphs?

I mean, these days it might. Doesn't take much.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So, if people started getting opportunistic infections 10 years after contracting covid, swollen ankles, pneumonia, lesions, whatever... would the response to that be as meaningful as it was to AIDS, or..?

I'm trying to work out, for the sake of comparison, in terms of the course of the pandemic and response, if we're in 1986, 1996, or 2006, if this is a fair comparison.

You would think, since it would not be confined to Haitians, Hemophiliacs, and Homosexuals, that there would be an immediate, whole-of-society, response. You would think, but I don't know.

Apr 7, 2003

The Anglosphere is a machine that exists to move wealth upwards. As long as wealth continues to move upwards in the short term and the rightful recipients of that wealth are protected, nothing will be done. If anything Covid taught the ultimate recipients of that wealth that you can do as much social murder as you want, as long as it comes with explicit threats to take the treats away if that social murder is resisted.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

So, if people started getting opportunistic infections 10 years after contracting covid, swollen ankles, pneumonia, lesions, whatever... would the response to that be as meaningful as it was to AIDS, or..?

I'm trying to work out, for the sake of comparison, in terms of the course of the pandemic and response, if we're in 1986, 1996, or 2006, if this is a fair comparison.

You would think, since it would not be confined to Haitians, Hemophiliacs, and Homosexuals, that there would be an immediate, whole-of-society, response. You would think, but I don't know.

That was back when the government still cared about public health as even the elites knew they needed a healthy citizen population to work and serve in the military. They still recognize the material reality.

Nowadays even if we wind up with Chernobyl 2 in the South, I highly doubt that any officials will even advise people to wear a mask from the radioactive fallout

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

If this is a real strain this could be very, very bad. As in, December 2019 bad.

Apr 7, 2003

it cannot be emphasized how dire Florida's "send your kids to school with measles, who gives a gently caress" guidance is

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it cannot be emphasized how dire Florida's "send your kids to school with measles, who gives a gently caress" guidance is

It's cool. We know that there's community spread in Florida and in couple of weeks, we'll have hundred thousands of college student swarming Florida for spring break. I foresee nothing bad to come of this

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean, these days it might. Doesn't take much.

lol :discourse:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lausanne is where the CERN faculty hangs out. Wake up sheeple

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

New spike, who this?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

My nephew started pre-school this year and immediately got covid and then scarlet loving fever. Apparently the velveteen rabbit disease is common again, and parents just shrug.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

They can't very well stay home during heart attack season.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

what does ur heart tell u

less flippant answer though: that's legit already happening and still no one cares. i think the consolidation of wealth and violence is so extreme at this point that coercion of our political economy into a proportionate response is no longer possible.

e: the only response that will be supported is more or less LCCaaS (long covid cure as a service)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Salt Fish posted:

They can't very well stay home during heart attack season.
most heart attacks spread at home

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

wealthy and powerful people have their own healthcare system, their own guidance, their own schools, their own airplanes

the rest of society will be told "there's nothing we could have done, be safe"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1762860642858348657

Kids have to be in school everyday even if they're sick!

Also let's close down the schools so we can have a show of force parade for some dead cops.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
huh some wifebeater made a play for redemption by making a couple good cops eh

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

no because it’s not taking ten years it’s happening right now, so it won’t be anything new, it’ll just slowly increase like the frog in a pot metaphor and just have always been this way, people always get sickly and winded from going up stairs when they hit 40 and can no longer do things they used to do, like walk a mile, just a part of getting old.

Now stop masking you’re totally harshing my mellow.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I was just a bit surprised to compare AIDS and covid infection numbers, though I realize AIDS was essentially a death sentence until antiretrovirals in like, 1996?

I just remember reading And The Band Played On and thinking that nothing could be worse, but like you all point out, its not about comparing 1986 to March 2020, it's about comparing any point of the AIDS pandemic to now - because I don't think even with Prep, people reached a state of AIDS is over, use condoms if you want to, whatever.

I dunno. Maybe it's different because, given the time, and the infections among IV drug users and gay men, so much of the response to AIDS was really awful. Not like cold logic of capitalism evil, but like, disowning their kids because contracting AIDS obviously outed them. So it feels like the response to AIDS was worse, because on a personal level, it seems like it. It would be hard to make Angels in America about covid.

Besides the Death Panel, I haven't seen anything like ACT UP, or any kind of covid activism that's like the community driven response to AIDS. I dunno, if people who had covid develop Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) or Kaposi’s Sarcoma (KS)... I really don't want to believe that nothing happens.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the diffuse and universal impact of COVID specifically wrt government inaction paradoxically defangs any potential identity-based collective action

in the USA at least the most appropriate rallying touchpoint is being Not Rich, and unfortunately that's everybody. joe q can't use his embarrassing lack of material means as a nucleus of galvanization and commonality so welp

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was just a bit surprised to compare AIDS and covid infection numbers, though I realize AIDS was essentially a death sentence until antiretrovirals in like, 1996?

I just remember reading And The Band Played On and thinking that nothing could be worse, but like you all point out, its not about comparing 1986 to March 2020, it's about comparing any point of the AIDS pandemic to now - because I don't think even with Prep, people reached a state of AIDS is over, use condoms if you want to, whatever.

I dunno. Maybe it's different because, given the time, and the infections among IV drug users and gay men, so much of the response to AIDS was really awful. Not like cold logic of capitalism evil, but like, disowning their kids because contracting AIDS obviously outed them. So it feels like the response to AIDS was worse, because on a personal level, it seems like it. It would be hard to make Angels in America about covid.

Besides the Death Panel, I haven't seen anything like ACT UP, or any kind of covid activism that's like the community driven response to AIDS. I dunno, if people who had covid develop Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) or Kaposi’s Sarcoma (KS)... I really don't want to believe that nothing happens.

more people have died of Covid in the us than all us hiv deaths ever

Apr 7, 2003

inferis posted:

more people have died of Covid in the us than all us hiv deaths ever

also when you tell people this they straight up just don't believe you.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Man. I wish they are my doctor.

https://twitter.com/paibangzhu/status/1762840437931556899/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that reminds me I need to move my other purifier into the shop now that I've freed up some space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the diffuse and universal impact of COVID specifically wrt government inaction paradoxically defangs any potential identity-based collective action

in the USA at least the most appropriate rallying touchpoint is being Not Rich, and unfortunately that's everybody. joe q can't use his embarrassing lack of material means as a nucleus of galvanization and commonality so welp

And our entire society is built around discouraging people from recognizing and organizing around economic class (if you're not wealthy)