Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's okay, you can rent out your home in calgary and rent in red deer. and the guy in red deer can rent out his home and rent in grand prairie. and the guy in grand prairie can rent out his home and rent in zama lake. everyone makes money

How does Westlock fit into this equation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's okay, you can rent out your home in calgary and rent in red deer. and the guy in red deer can rent out his home and rent in grand prairie. and the guy in grand prairie can rent out his home and rent in zama lake. everyone makes money

The Gorilla method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuiK7jcC1fY

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

How does Westlock fit into this equation

either too gay, or not gay enough, depending on who you ask

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I've never understood brokerage, like is this some government appointed appraiser who sits at the border pulling numbers from a hat? I know a business owner who will drive from Montreal to the US border for every shipment because he's somehow allowed to be his own broker. Broker brained system

Anyone can do that, and it can save you a ton of money. You need to live in the right places though.

The government partially privatized customs. Canada post does it, but it seems like they inspect 1/100 packages in my experience, and the fee is literally $9.95. UPS got a contract with the government that they run their own independent customs brokerage, most couriers have this, and they charge a $70 fee, plus any taxes and fees you might incur on your parcel, plus tax again on their fees. It is a perfect case study of privatization, the government saved a small amount of money, and we pay a massive fee to a private corporation. Ship with Canada Post and you pay $10, plus some taxes in the background. This system sucks, because it comes down to whether or not the person/company shipping to you knows that UPS is predatory in Canada.

Just unbelievable, $10 sometimes if the government does it, about $100 if UPS does it. I'm not counting the actual customs fees here as those would be incurred either way.

loving idiots want this same system but healthcare.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Thanks for the breakdown, i had no idea it was that stupid. I used to get around it by getting stuff shipped to a university department where i knew the receiving guy. Which i realize is also an incredibly stupid system

I hope your Warhammer purchase brings priceless joy regardless!

e: the uni has their own dedicated broker

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Worlers at the big car delivery port in Hali walked off today. CN immediately bringing in scabs lmao

https://halifax.citynews.ca/2024/02/27/halifax-harbour-transshipment-facility-for-imported-vehicles-hit-by-strike-unifor/amp/

Made me wonder, since I can't find a super clear breakdown of what counts, are ports covered under that anti-scab law whenever it comes into effect? I know the government always legislates the crews back to.worker so that the precious flow of Treats isn't interrupted so I assume now

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
If it's important enough, they will pass the Port of Halifax Defense of Prosperity Act, as with the Port of Montreal strike in 2021.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/port-montreal-strike-back-to-work-senate-1.6008623

quote:

The Senate has passed legislation that will force 1,150 striking employees back to work at the Port of Montreal.

The House of Commons approved the bill early Thursday morning, with the Conservatives joining forces with the minority Liberal government.

The Senate adopted Bill C-29, the Port of Montreal Operations Act, Friday night and the legislation received Royal Assent.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Virtual Russian posted:

Holy gently caress UPS is poo poo. A goon sent me less than 20 ancient warhammer models, I got hit with $35 of GST (fine), and $90 in brokerage fees. That is absurd, how can you justify a brokerage fee multiple times the actual tax being levied?! I'm actually going to write my MP about this. I'm in PEI so it will actually get read and responded to.

Fwiw this has been the case for years with UPS and representing yourself as your own broker and the absolute headache that is is the only workaround. As you might expect, the letter will get a boilerplate response. UPS will have its brokerage flesh fees no matter what.

Also DHL does the same poo poo to business accounts, strangely UPS doesn't. FedEx is the only private carrier I know of that doesn't levee brokerage fees, but that's likely because I've never had the experience to ask them to ship a shipping container.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Isizzlehorn posted:

Fwiw this has been the case for years with UPS and representing yourself as your own broker and the absolute headache that is is the only workaround. As you might expect, the letter will get a boilerplate response. UPS will have its brokerage flesh fees no matter what.

Also DHL does the same poo poo to business accounts, strangely UPS doesn't. FedEx is the only private carrier I know of that doesn't levee brokerage fees, but that's likely because I've never had the experience to ask them to ship a shipping container.

Probably cheaper to refuse delivery and have the
shipper resend. IIRC everything but the cheapest UPS international service includes brokerage fees.

The thing that pisses me off about them is they don’t notify you in advance that your parcel is coming (unless you have an account?), so you can’t prepay the duties and by the time you get the notice saying you have to pay they have nicely paid the government on your behalf so the package can be released to your local depot and have loaned you the money for that. You immediately owe them interest on that loan.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/cannabis-spirit-rising-foster-1.7127101

quote:

Province cuts ties with Winnipeg foster home operator after teens given marijuana daily
Provincial review found cannabis was given to foster kids as harm reduction tool by Spirit Rising House staff

quote:

Spirit Rising House, a Winnipeg-based for-profit company, runs nine foster homes and two specialized group homes for 34 high-risk youth in Child and Family Services care.

"We are talking about some of the most vulnerable, at-risk youth with incredibly complex needs," Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine told CBC News. "So to learn that cannabis was being distributed was quite concerning."

Former and current employees told CBC underage youth were provided cannabis by staff, which was widely known throughout the company.

"Harm reduction is great when it's being used for harm reduction, but what we were doing is providing weed every day at 3:30," said a former employee who used to work at one of the homes and gave the youth cannabis.

Staff were told by upper management it was better to have workers at the home provide cannabis than risk residents going elsewhere and doing harder drugs, such as methamphetamine and opioids.

"It's easier to just keep [them] placated and happy than to have to deal with the paperwork, police and hospitals," the former employee said.

Another former worker said the teens, some as young as 15, were given a choice between getting one gram of cannabis a day or getting a weekly cash allowance.

Every youth picked the cannabis, she said.

:eyepop:

So, presumably Spirit Rising had access to some kind of cheap bulk weed, was taking the money designated for the kids' cash allowance, and was pocketing the difference between the cost of the weed and the allowance.

It's amazing that's how the disbursement works. Why doesn't the government just set up an account for the kid and deposit funds directly in there?

Giving weed to kids is also the kind of bizarre "innovation" in social services you get from having a for-profit company provide what should be a government service. If anybody remembers Winnipeg mayoral candidate Shaun Loney, the "social procurement" guy, this is the wonderful neoliberalized world he thought we all should live in.

Not to mention that a gram a day is... a lot of weed.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Where did all that cheap land come from, I wonder?

A land without a people for a people without a land.

:canada:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Housing anxiety is enough to make anyone consider drastic measures.

Does anyone in this thread actually live in Alberta and have a handle on what the province is currently like, outside of the madhouse nonsense that leaks into the wider news?

I live in Edmonton and all my friends and most of my co-workers, who talk about politics, are pretty left-of-centre, hate the UCP and want the NDP back. We work in healthcare-adjacent fields so maybe that has something to do with it. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some kind of ARG because I've never met anyone in real life who had anything good to say about the UCP.

My wife is on many medications and would benefit greatly from pharmacare, so we're pretty choked that the UCP are trying to opt out. I hope its just a stupid knee-jerk talking point and then quietly gets enacted in a few months.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Karach posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/cannabis-spirit-rising-foster-1.7127101

:eyepop:

So, presumably Spirit Rising had access to some kind of cheap bulk weed, was taking the money designated for the kids' cash allowance, and was pocketing the difference between the cost of the weed and the allowance.

It's amazing that's how the disbursement works. Why doesn't the government just set up an account for the kid and deposit funds directly in there?

Giving weed to kids is also the kind of bizarre "innovation" in social services you get from having a for-profit company provide what should be a government service. If anybody remembers Winnipeg mayoral candidate Shaun Loney, the "social procurement" guy, this is the wonderful neoliberalized world he thought we all should live in.

Not to mention that a gram a day is... a lot of weed.

i'm extremely pro-weed and i don't wanna start a whole argument in here but i do personally believe it ain't great for developing minds, ditto booze. i know you can't keep kids away entirely but giving them a gram a day is insane. just dope up the kids to make them easy to deal with i guess :(

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Virtual Russian posted:

Holy gently caress UPS is poo poo. A goon sent me less than 20 ancient warhammer models, I got hit with $35 of GST (fine), and $90 in brokerage fees. That is absurd, how can you justify a brokerage fee multiple times the actual tax being levied?! I'm actually going to write my MP about this. I'm in PEI so it will actually get read and responded to.

Yes, classic stuff. If someone from the states is shipping you something it's important to only ever use USPS. Chances are good that you won't get hit by any fees at all, but even if you do it'll be like $10.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Isizzlehorn posted:

USPS shipping from the States is the way

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ARACHTION posted:

If you feel depressed about who to vote for federally, instead get involved in the labour movement if your work is unionized (if your leadership sucks, work to replace them), or try to get it unionized if it isn’t. This is more closely connected to your day to day living conditions, will have you feeling more empowered and then when it comes voting time, you vote your favourite choice and call it a day.

We have so little power as individuals at the federal level, imo it’s only worth it to read/think about it as an almost academic/entertainment level.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I honestly don't mind DHL, at least the brokerage is a fraction, rather than a multiple, of the taxes.

USPS rules though.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm extremely pro-weed and i don't wanna start a whole argument in here but i do personally believe it ain't great for developing minds, ditto booze. i know you can't keep kids away entirely but giving them a gram a day is insane. just dope up the kids to make them easy to deal with i guess :(

we have been doping up foster kids with poo poo way worse than weed for decades. too much weed is definitely bad for teenagers but is it worse than thorazine? haldol? from that perspective I can see it as harm reduction, let alone the "keeping them away from drug dealers trying to sell them meth/fent/benzos" angle. obviously the entire situation is a loving massive disgrace and failure of our society, but I don't personally feel outrage over anything that was quoted in that post by karach.

i guess what I'm saying is that having failed these children so horribly, a gram of weed (three joints?) is small potatoes compared to all the other abuses that have become completely routine and are swept under the rugs by so-called healthcare professionals and social workers

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Oh for sure, I usually won't even buy something if I can't get it to go with either fedex or usps. I know UPS is bad, but this was shocking.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Turpitude posted:

we have been doping up foster kids with poo poo way worse than weed for decades. too much weed is definitely bad for teenagers but is it worse than thorazine? haldol? from that perspective I can see it as harm reduction, let alone the "keeping them away from drug dealers trying to sell them meth/fent/benzos" angle. obviously the entire situation is a loving massive disgrace and failure of our society, but I don't personally feel outrage over anything that was quoted in that post by karach.

i guess what I'm saying is that having failed these children so horribly, a gram of weed (three joints?) is small potatoes compared to all the other abuses that have become completely routine and are swept under the rugs by so-called healthcare professionals and social workers

Two things can be bad. I'm very pro-weed, but that is an insane amount to give a teenager. It would be like saying you don't want kids dying of alcohol poisoning in some field so give them a six-pack every evening on the condition they drink it at home. I get it, I get what you are saying, it is much better than meth or dope, but that we consider this the best of a bunch of bad options is an indictment of the country.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

shouldnt be on the consumer to find this out though. i got whacked with these 'brokerage' fees once and i never knew about it, i shouldn't have to go online and do research for someone else shipping things to me lol.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Virtual Russian posted:

Two things can be bad. I'm very pro-weed, but that is an insane amount to give a teenager. It would be like saying you don't want kids dying of alcohol poisoning in some field so give them a six-pack every evening on the condition they drink it at home. I get it, I get what you are saying, it is much better than meth or dope, but that we consider this the best of a bunch of bad options is an indictment of the country.

I agree, but I don't think "we" consider this the best of our bad options, I think the foster caregivers were doing this as an act of desperation in an attempt to protect these kids. though I understand that may be a generous stance to take considering the possibility of financial exploitation going on.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Society whose emotional responses to the hellscape they created are dulled by nonstop drug use shocked that people would eventually do the same to children

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How much does 7 grams of weed cost, anyways?

...I'm a square who never touches drugs, not even experimentally.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

nothing! if you're in foster care

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Virtual Russian posted:

If you've already paid you're likely out of luck.

I had the same thing happen to me half a year ago. They left it on my doorstep without taking my signature or payment but I found they could still send collections after me/mess up my credit etc so I couldn't leave things be.
After reading up a few tricks I drove it up to my city's Canada Border Service Agency, waited in line, showed my ID listing the same address and all of the UPS-provided paperwork, and paid the customs directly.
I then phoned UPS, told them the government customs were already paid so I didn't owe them a thing, they grumbled and said I should have done this step beforehand but let it slide 'this one time', opened a ticket and had me email the CBSA's paperwork, and then I successfully got the $100 fee canceled.

Haven't tested it, but my understanding is that if you contact UPS right away after a shipment starts, you can tell them you'll do the customs yourself and they'll send the paperwork for CBSA so you can pay the gov't directly as above, and won't release the package until you're done.
Or (again, untested) you can select one of UPS' premium shipping options that might cost $10 more but it includes any brokerage and saves you a trip to the agency.

Total thieving bullshit.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Randalor posted:

depends where you are, the quality/brand, if you're buying bulk or just 7g and if its black market or not. but from like $10-$100

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Street name question:

I had a French Canadian prof in school that noted that Colborne St in Kingston was named after a war criminal and General Colborne was well known and called "old firebrand" or something in QC because of some time where he trapped a village in a church and set it on fire, amongst many other instances of lighting QC towns on fire. Looking this up later I didn't find much sign of this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saint-Eustache seems to suggest it was a strictly military battle, and doesn't mention civilians) but maybe that's just because I'm being fed English internet vs French internet.

Anyone know about this?

Saw this post unreplied for so I'll make a quick recap:

Basically, once the battle is over, British soldiers and loyalists pillage the village and set the houses on fire after. They also do this in the surrounding villages. In January... so have fun spending your night out in the cold.

Leading to the Rebellion Losses bill, because even politicians were aware repression went in a bit too far.

Leading to the burning of the parliement of Montreal because Angryphones be anglo as always.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
My experience with self-clearing foreign shipments is once you get the tracking number you contact the shipper and ask to self-clear the package and that you need the paperwork for it.

Once the package actually gets here, you get all the paperwork and go to the CBSA border clearance office typically next to or close to the airport. And then you declare and pay the brokerage fees for the item there.

It isn't easy and sucks at times because the cbsa office is only open like 830-430 M-F and can be difficult to make the time to do it. But if you can it's a lot cheaper.

Those usurious brokerage fees is technically a convenience fee to not drive around to do all that.

For Albertan goons check out dykpost which kind of does it for you and basically gets you decent rates on shipping and receiving packages from the US. Not as cheap as doing it yourself but cheaper than UPS or the like.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Randalor posted:

Rule of thumb for me is $10/g for government weed is decent. Black market is cheaper and the price goes down per unit as the quantity increases

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

in my recent experience its the way to get your package lost or mistakenly routed through fuckin Honolulu adding days to the delivery time. any other country though, yes, using the postal service will avoid those import fees

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Feb 28, 2024

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
At my closest weed shop you can get a pack of 10 .3g prerolls for ~$24, making it ~$8/g

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
You can explore the Ontario government prices for dope at this handy website - https://ocs.ca/

Some stuff is cheap, some is insanely overpriced. Depends on the brand

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

thread title

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1763044439159611508?t=jtRpRs8OEMmQcwIvA0wlXQ&s=19

Incredible.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Karach posted:

Rule of thumb for me is $10/g for government weed is decent. Black market is cheaper and the price goes down per unit as the quantity increases

$70-120 for 28g in AB at the stores

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you'd think "ban gay people" would be the sort of thing that'd get you kicked out of the public service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AB Energy Minister Brian Jean declared that the foothills of the Rockies are actually open for new open-pit coal mining after lobbying from Aussie billionaire and poet Gina Rinehart. This is her best known work: