Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saw the tv show?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hopefully he's a better actor than director. The Fanatic was...I honestly don't know how to describe it.

The Fanatic is a masterpiece, what are you talking about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got to poo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Saw the tv show?????

No, I haven’t yet

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

tv static and empty walls do not scare me i am immune to analog horror

internet horror just walk away from the drat puter
Turn… off… your monitor?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If you die on the forums you die in real life.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think analogue horror suffers the most from only being analogue horror when people do it. Just use it sparingly like the Ring or Poltergeist's static TV scenes. You don't have to make the entire movie someone wandering around pointing cameras at walls.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i could be wrong but i thought analog horror was just like, lovely horror made by children using badly painted things like the godzilla suit man or the jurassic park stuff.

I don't really get it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve never felt older and less out of touch than when I watched Worlds Fair. That’s fine. It obviously does work for a different generation/experience than mine. But man I was lost.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some of fake documentary q could be consider analog horror i think, and fake documentary q rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

some of fake documentary q could be consider analog horror i think, and fake documentary q rules

Documentary Q is awesome

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the oldest ive felt is seeing a video of a young mom ranting on tiktok about her son getting sick, and having to pick him up because she's losing prime time for her only fans

like BRUH

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm watching Cemetery Man on Shudder. I have no idea what's going on but it's pretty awesome and looks great. Like a lot of good Italian horror movies it seems pretty much vibes based anyway so it's fine I guess.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CelticPredator posted:

the oldest ive felt is seeing a video of a young mom ranting on tiktok about her son getting sick, and having to pick him up because she's losing prime time for her only fans

like BRUH

Sex workers are people too and parents sometimes need to vent. I don't see how either should make you feel old.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Analog horror is basically younger people dealing with ghosts. Everything is recorded now and photoshopped and ai corrected and blah blah blah. Analog horror is like the last time ghosts could be accurately recorded. It’s this odd mix between using video editing tools to make something look old and real while also having that aesthetic feel more real.

It’s also a throwback, I think in recognition that in the age of Isis and “what is happening” in Gaza that you can see far more horrific acts of violence than any horror movie. It’s interesting how so manny horror modern horror things like the backrooms start with an escape from our regular reality.

You can’t have a movie about teens going to Crystal lake now and they don’t mention mass shooters because I’m sorry that’s the first thing that comes to mind. And I know celty will argue this, but it’s a realism problem that is even worse than cell phones. Realistically people will compare a one night serial killer to mass killers in modern times.

So anyway I think analog horror is basically going back in time to find scary stuff when it was far easier to be scarier. Also ideas of the government collapsing that are more modern. And paranoia about the authorities sending fake messages.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Sex workers are people too and parents sometimes need to vent. I don't see how either should make you feel old.

They don’t need to do it online while belittling the kids problems to the whole world and saying his illness cocked blocked her. It’s weird.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah those are good points. We'll probably see more and more stuff done in a similar way outside of horror too down the line for similar reasons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly video was probably rage bait so again it makes me feel old lol

Back in mah day our rage bait was a sentence long! Not a whole dang video

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

E:

The imgur feature isn't working

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I have a 9 year old nephew who is obsessed with analog horror; a lot of times he'll show me a video and be like "look at this, there's a ghost here!" so that's definitely part of it.

Another piece of it that can be hard to accept is how ANCIENT stuff like VHS is to a kid. Like he showed me this one "haunted video" that was supposedly from 1997. I was 10 years old then, but to him that's the far off past. Like when I was a kid and would get spooked out about black and white ghost photos from the 70s.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I want a haunted laserdisc movie

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WeaponX posted:

Haunted Death Digital Versatile Disc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WeaponX posted:

Phantasm remake but instead of spheres he throws minidiscs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

Another piece of it that can be hard to accept is how ANCIENT stuff like VHS is to a kid. Like he showed me this one "haunted video" that was supposedly from 1997. I was 10 years old then, but to him that's the far off past. Like when I was a kid and would get spooked out about black and white ghost photos from the 70s.

The way I'd put it is, if you were young in the 90s: the 80s and 90s feel like they've become to now what the 50s and 60s were to the 80s and 90s, complete with all the sentimental mythologizing of the period.

I guess that'd make the 2000s, and how fuckin tacky it could be, the new 70s? Jesus.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

WeaponX posted:

As disc rot sets in the images on the disc become decaying spirits desperate for escape at all costs

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

If you die on the forums you die in real life.

So that's why so many people freak out over sixers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MZ has a higher body count than Kane Hodder

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

WeaponX posted:

A serial killer records all his murders and stores them on laserdisc, 75% of the movie's runtime is just people desperately trying to track down a laserdisc player and someone who knows how to hook it up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

WeaponX posted:

The local used videogame shop has an entire rack of old horror laserdiscs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

The way I'd put it is, if you were young in the 90s: the 80s and 90s feel like they've become to now what the 50s and 60s were to the 80s and 90s, complete with all the sentimental mythologizing of the period.

I guess that'd make the 2000s, and how fuckin tacky it could be, the new 70s? Jesus.

Yea sometimes I think about how crazy it is that when I watch an 80s horror movie, to a kid today that's like when my father would watch House of Frankenstein or The Beast From 20000 Fathoms when I was a kid. To them it seems like a relic from a bygone era, which actually can help a movie sometimes. When you're a kid, unearthing something from the past can be kinda scary on it's own aside from the movie itself. It doesn't look and feel like the movies kids are currently consuming so therefore it feels more "real" or more dangerous.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea sometimes I think about how crazy it is that when I watch an 80s horror movie, to a kid today that's like when my father would watch House of Frankenstein or The Beast From 20000 Fathoms when I was a kid. To them it seems like a relic from a bygone era, which actually can help a movie sometimes. When you're a kid, unearthing something from the past can be kinda scary on it's own aside from the movie itself. It doesn't look and feel like the movies kids are currently consuming so therefore it feels more "real" or more dangerous.

A lot of the very young kids I know don't seem to distinguish on this basis at all. They have so much access to older media, and their parents are so likely to have shown them a bunch of it, that they process the aesthetic differ without much reference to age. In the same way, the proliferation of "retro" games and the popularity of games that don't attempt hardware stretching photorealism means they don't care much about "graphics" and newness in the way my peers did as a kid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nightbreed Directors Cut on Arrow - worth or not?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Jedit posted:

Nightbreed Directors Cut on Arrow - worth or not?

The director's cut of Nightbreed is one of my favorite movies ever made. It's thematically dense, gorgeous to look at, and extremely rewatchable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Fancy Hat posted:

I have a 9 year old nephew who is obsessed with analog horror; a lot of times he'll show me a video and be like "look at this, there's a ghost here!" so that's definitely part of it.

It's really funny. Clips of stuff like NOSFERATU used to make me feel like that as a kid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A Fancy Hat posted:

A serial killer records all his murders and stores them on laserdisc, 75% of the movie's runtime is just people desperately trying to track down a laserdisc player and someone who knows how to hook it up.

"There's nowhere to plug the cables in on this machine, there are only screws! It doesn't make any sense!"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Regarding analogue horror, I do get it - I still think there's real power in CRT TVs for more reasons than just nostalgia. It changes how things look and feel, and it's why I constantly have my own TV networks running that are fed to various TVs around the house. There's a transformative element there, and it's also why tape has come back; when something isn't quite as clear as you're used to it allows the imagination to fill in the gaps.

A lot of little things connect to that as well - as a kid I would poke around the Super Smash Bros. Melee debug menu and would find it equal parts fascinating and unsettling, like you're seeing things you shouldn't be. The Test Map freaked me out because of how wrong it felt. I think that's a lot of the appeal there. I think kids just want there to be magic in the margins of the world.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Regarding analogue horror, I do get it - I still think there's real power in CRT TVs for more reasons than just nostalgia. It changes how things look and feel, and it's why I constantly have my own TV networks running that are fed to various TVs around the house. There's a transformative element there, and it's also why tape has come back; when something isn't quite as clear as you're used to it allows the imagination to fill in the gaps.

A lot of little things connect to that as well - as a kid I would poke around the Super Smash Bros. Melee debug menu and would find it equal parts fascinating and unsettling, like you're seeing things you shouldn't be. The Test Map freaked me out because of how wrong it felt. I think that's a lot of the appeal there. I think kids just want there to be magic in the margins of the world.

Yeah this wouldn't be nearly as cool with a flat panel modern TV! :D

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STAC Goat posted:

I’ve never felt older and less out of touch than when I watched Worlds Fair. That’s fine. It obviously does work for a different generation/experience than mine. But man I was lost.

Exact same way. I profoundly don't get it, at all, even conceptually. That movie might as well just be a diagnostic for how you relate to the internet.

And yeah, the important part is that outside of discussions of the movie where this comes up, we don't really mention it. We're not screaming about kids these days, with them all going to their world's fair and listening to the rag time.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

EMF you should share those directions you posted for creating a pro wrestling streaming channel; I dunno if you've ever posted it here and I imagine the ability to create your own curated horror channel would be pretty popular in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

EMF you should share those directions you posted for creating a pro wrestling streaming channel; I dunno if you've ever posted it here and I imagine the ability to create your own curated horror channel would be pretty popular in this thread.

Here you go! The directions may be about wrestling but they can be used as a guide to making your own magic TV box. And it's amazing for horror, as expected.

EDIT: I'm especially fond of how black-and-white shows look.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 28, 2024