Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Unfortunately my hands are too shaky these days for that, I have to use the Tamiya panel-lining fluid now.

I know I should take a break between projects but man the beast calling to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I need a new silver metallic marker, my random brand one exploded and turned my desk silver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBRFOIU

Is this fine?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have a bunch of the soft-tip Hobbymio metal markers and they are incredible. Easy to use, easy to clean. The green markings on that Turn-A are markers and since they're acrylic you can rub out mistakes easy with a bit of alcohol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deviant posted:

I need a new silver metallic marker, my random brand one exploded and turned my desk silver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBRFOIU

Is this fine?

Absolutely yes. If you want a chrome silver, get a silver EX Gundam marker too.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
The one from the set is going to be more of a flat aluminum, I have also had good luck with XGM02 Shine Silver and XGM Plated Silver ( as above). They are shinier, but not quite chrome. I haven’t tried any of the chrome pens, opting instead for alclad for that, can’t comment on those. But the XGM 100 flows and self levels like magic for almost-chrome highlights or engine nozzles and stuff. I have had good luck putting the real touch (the felt tip transparent weathering markers) red and blue over them too, for anodized-looking engine nozzle interiors.

I’m not an expert or old hand but rather a beginner and the silver pens struck me as great results with very little work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Working on painting my over-engined Rabiot, as well as giving it Even More Thrusters :rice:, and while working on the backpack engine I found could fold the whole thing into its own neat booster ship :allears:. The engine pieces do have optional cover parts for the front, mine lack those because I need the gap to fit it onto the back of the Rabiot.

I'm also really happy with how the thruster nozzles turned out.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

Unfortunately my hands are too shaky these days for that, I have to use the Tamiya panel-lining fluid now.

I know I should take a break between projects but man the beast calling to me...

I built that last weekend, the RG had more impressive engineering but you can't beat the sheer size.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Attended ODO over the weekend in Richmond, VA. Got a ton of pics of the gunpla table and general models alike if anyone is interested. I can do a bunch if timgs or an album, whatever is most convenient for the thread.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Zodack posted:

Attended ODO over the weekend in Richmond, VA. Got a ton of pics of the gunpla table and general models alike if anyone is interested. I can do a bunch if timgs or an album, whatever is most convenient for the thread.

oh dang I'm in Richmond, I didn't even know there was a thing here. I would love to see pics!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Working on painting my over-engined Rabiot, as well as giving it Even More Thrusters :rice:, and while working on the backpack engine I found could fold the whole thing into its own neat booster ship :allears:. The engine pieces do have optional cover parts for the front, mine lack those because I need the gap to fit it onto the back of the Rabiot.

I'm also really happy with how the thruster nozzles turned out.

That looks great on its own, tbh. Kind of reminds me of Freespace.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

JoeGlassJAw posted:

oh dang I'm in Richmond, I didn't even know there was a thing here. I would love to see pics!

I always lose track of when everything is myself. I was lucky to be searching up events near me the weekend before and caught the date. IIRC it's always in Feb near the back half at the raceway.

Here's the photos I got of the gunpla table. Full album: https://imgur.com/a/tGfP4k5

I realize now the photos I took of my own stuff are the blurriest and at the worst angles lol

Zodack fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 26, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Absolutely yes. If you want a chrome silver, get a silver EX Gundam marker too.

Hmm okay, what's the id number or link for that? Sometimes hard to find this stuff.

I'm also seeing some can't be used on ABS?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

This is a bit outside the realm of gunpla but I'm doing some repairs on a plexiglass sheet right now and I've seen stuff in gunpla builds where like they make custom clear bits for like beam sabers and stuff by sanding down runners or info plates or stuff, then applying some kind of resin to it that ends up making it clear again despite the clouding from all the sanding.

Is there a name/brand for that sort of stuff that I could pick up, or is it just any old clear epoxy resin that I could brush on?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deviant posted:

Hmm okay, what's the id number or link for that? Sometimes hard to find this stuff.

I'm also seeing some can't be used on ABS?

The specific marker you want is XGM100.

Zodack posted:

I always lose track of when everything is myself. I was lucky to be searching up events near me the weekend before and caught the date. IIRC it's always in Feb near the back half at the raceway.

That Aerial Gundam with the Bits is gorgeous. :magical:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The specific marker you want is XGM100.

That Aerial Gundam with the Bits is gorgeous. :magical:

It had an LED kit installed that modulated the colors, was really slick. The Calibarn in the photos also had an LED kit!

For anyone wanting to go to one of these things, I find the IPMS event map to be decently helpful: https://ipmsusa.org/event-map. Figuring out turnout... less so. If you check the contest categories and you see more for gunpla, that's a good sign. Unfortunately a lot of IPMS events will run one Gundam category (good luck trying to beat an RG or MG with your HG entry) or they'll roll it up into "General scifi/robots" which is even worse. ODO is unique at least on the east coast in that it breaks Gundam down into several categories.

I can vouch for South Carolina's Scale Model Mega Show in June (not affiliated with IPMS) as a good "show" convention in that you register to rent table space, not enter a model, and you can display as many models as fit in that space and submit one for judging (but not competing; you get a score but there is no 1st/2nd/3rd, just a "best sci fi"). Past few years has been very good gundam turnout.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 26, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Finally started to work on my moon gundam!

It has so god drat many trees I can't fit them all into one picture so here's the instructions. It also has no stickers and a lot of colour variation, at least ten different colours. I love it already but the instructions look like it's going to be a long rear end build.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It has so god drat many trees I can't fit them all into one picture so here's the instructions. It also has no stickers and a lot of colour variation, at least ten different colours. I love it already but the instructions look like it's going to be a long rear end build.

It's not so bad, if memory serves. Well, the funnels are a thing, but most of it is HG+, not RG or MG levels of effort.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not so bad, if memory serves. Well, the funnels are a thing, but most of it is HG+, not RG or MG levels of effort.

HG+ is a good way to put it. It's more complex than most HG with a lot of small fiddly bits but not like, a full grade above. It's really fun and I'm absolutely on board with the more modern approach of having no polycaps and love that it has no stickers. The joints are really mobile too.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
God drat I love the HG Moon Gundam. That might just be peak HG, pre-WfM anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It's not bad at all; it's a really satisfying build and looks dynamite out of the box.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also the entry forms for that Richmond show look an awful lot like the ones the SCGMC started using a few years ago, I wonder if there's any association or if they just took the forms from GameraBaenre's website. Or maybe it's just a standard form that everyone uses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Midjack posted:

It's not bad at all; it's a really satisfying build and looks dynamite out of the box.

It actually does. I really had fun with it and wish there were more besides the varguil which I do want to get but is like 90% identical.

It's baby's first action pose! Complete with the shittest yellowest lighting possible. This kit is extremely flexible and being able to remove or pose the psycho panels as freely as you can gives you so much control over the weight of it which makes posing and standing it as easily as possible. So, I'm going to try and use the action base it came with to give my dunbine a new lease on life, rather than having to lean on everyone else for support.

I genuinely have no complaints about the kit, so in my efforts to find something to nitpick there's this: the long rifle and all associated pieces come in one singular grey sprue including the backpiece of the hand, so you basically have to reuse one of the pieces from the normal hands. But a small detail I really like is that not only did this kit come with actual eyes in neon green plastic; but alternate eyes in clear.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Midjack posted:

Also the entry forms for that Richmond show look an awful lot like the ones the SCGMC started using a few years ago, I wonder if there's any association or if they just took the forms from GameraBaenre's website. Or maybe it's just a standard form that everyone uses.

I want to say they've been that way for a while, and the forms at the SCSMMS (a South Carolina non IPMS contest) look the same. May be a stock standard model entry form? ODO in Richmond is IPMS affiliated, maybe there's some cross talk between contest organizers.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 27, 2024

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely have no complaints about the kit, so in my efforts to find something to nitpick there's this: the long rifle and all associated pieces come in one singular grey sprue including the backpiece of the hand, so you basically have to reuse one of the pieces from the normal hands.

The reason for that is the original HG Moon Gundam kit doesn’t include the Long Rifle. It was distributed as an exclusive pack-in on Hobby Japan magazine shortly after release of the HG so it was specifically designed as a single grey free gift style runner.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Hoping to get this PG RX-78-2 into the hands of someone in the PNW for $100. Shipping this big rear end box might be $$$ so if you’re in or around Portland a hand off would be ideal. It’s been in my closet for years and I’m accepting that I’m not going to build it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

zelah posted:

Hoping to get this PG RX-78-2 into the hands of someone in the PNW for $100. Shipping this big rear end box might be $$$ so if you’re in or around Portland a hand off would be ideal. It’s been in my closet for years and I’m accepting that I’m not going to build it.

Ugh, this is literally the worst thing about living in Detroit. Yes, even worse than the thing you're thinking of.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

The reason for that is the original HG Moon Gundam kit doesn’t include the Long Rifle. It was distributed as an exclusive pack-in on Hobby Japan magazine shortly after release of the HG so it was specifically designed as a single grey free gift style runner.

That makes a lot of sense, I figured it was an exclusive design for the gundam base limited version. Still a neat gun, I really like the way the stock extends, silly as it is. Hell, most of the doodads on the gun fold up or down, in or out which just feels really neat to me. I got this kit for the colour scheme though, and in that regard it blows it out of the water! The purple and green owns, and even the white bits, save for like four pieces, are a weird sort of spoiled milk white which looks really good in proper lighting.

zelah posted:

I wish I could afford it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://twitter.com/GundamInfoNA/status/1762608556300218511

They're doing their damndest to make up for New Gundam Breaker.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Brad Swaile my beloved

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know he wasn't the voice by origin but for me char will always be michael kopsa. :smith:

Still super stoked over them getting old voices back though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Drag Mark Gatha out of his dentist office

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Drag Mark Gatha out of his dentist office

That would be pretty amazing but I have the feeling that it won't happen :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We'll always have Nazeem Char.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofBP7E8o1hI

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was in TRU checking their Transformer stock today (because I have brain problems) and they actually had the entry grade Grandpa and Nu

Think I'll go back tomorrow and get the Grandpa so I have something to practice using the nippers and markers I got myself before I dive back into finishing my 3 years old Tallgeese

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Just a heads up for anyone who wants some buildings to complement their Gunpla, there’s a kickstarter for a wargame called Warpath that has a bunch of modular buildings as part of it. While it’s not technically the same scale as EG/HG/RG the space marine equivalents are technically about the same size as a regular human would be and they look sci fi enough they’d probably match pretty well.

Also I am going to be going to Japan for the next two weeks and I’ll be stopping by the Gundam Base in Tokyo and the Gundam Factory in Yokohama, are there particular hidden gems I should be looking out for? I’m definitely going to try and get a RX-78F00 and I think a clear plastic Aerial but I don’t know if there’s any other exclusives to watch out for (well other than a Recirculation Lfrith).

I think I might wind up mailing some stuff to myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just a heads up for anyone who wants some buildings to complement their Gunpla, there’s a kickstarter for a wargame called Warpath that has a bunch of modular buildings as part of it. While it’s not technically the same scale as EG/HG/RG the space marine equivalents are technically about the same size as a regular human would be and they look sci fi enough they’d probably match pretty well.

Also I am going to be going to Japan for the next two weeks and I’ll be stopping by the Gundam Base in Tokyo and the Gundam Factory in Yokohama, are there particular hidden gems I should be looking out for? I’m definitely going to try and get a RX-78F00 and I think a clear plastic Aerial but I don’t know if there’s any other exclusives to watch out for (well other than a Recirculation Lfrith).

I think I might wind up mailing some stuff to myself.

For what it's worth, there's a set of 30MM accessory structures you could try hunting down.

The subline is 30MM Customize Scene Bases, but the specific set with a building and a bit of highway is Customize Scene Bases #06.

edit: There's a big 30MM presentation coming next month on the 20th of March

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 28, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it'd better be more stuff about their armored core stuff or i'm gonna riot.

in 1/144 scale.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For more building stuff, there’s a lot of contemporary buildings out there for N-scale railway. The exact scale apparently varies between 1/148, 1/150 and 1/160 according to region/manufacturer but it’s close enough for a little HG scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For what it's worth, there's a set of 30MM accessory structures you could try hunting down.

The subline is 30MM Customize Scene Bases, but the specific set with a building and a bit of highway is Customize Scene Bases #06.

edit: There's a big 30MM presentation coming next month on the 20th of March

I'd say first look at Armored Core 30MM, prototype models for the 30MF, and got no clue for 30MS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd say first look at Armored Core 30MM, prototype models for the 30MF, and got no clue for 30MS

Armored Core Sisters